HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brandon Prust to Montreal [4 years, $10M]

Old
09-20-2012, 07:55 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I was one of the biggest pro-prust cheerleaders going into the off-season, but if Therrien is seriously considering giving him consistent 2nd line minutes if he just 'works hard', then he's an even worse coach than most of us thought.
It's good old Therry... Bouillon, Army, Prust and even Moen will play too much. If he likes White, you'll see him play too much too.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
It's good old Therry... Bouillon, Army, Prust and even Moen will play too much. If he likes White, you'll see him play too much too.
All those people can fight...who cares about winning games when you can just crash and bang...right?.....RIGHT?!

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 08:20 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

I love the idea of having one tough player on each line but they have to have the appropriate talent level along with their rugged skills. Like Hartnell and Clowe. Prust and Moen are 2 steps below those guys in talent and that's why this would never work.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Et le But

Both Prust and Moen are multidimensional players but neither should be on the second line except in emergency situations, unless one of them turns into Clarkson of last year (even Clarkson got 17 goals before, while Prust and Moen never broke the 15 barrier) Unfortunately with Therrien around...

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
All those people can fight...who cares about winning games when you can just crash and bang...right?.....RIGHT?!
Is Jacques Martin speaking right now?

This Prust on the pp is wishfull thinking and everybody knows it. We have 2 offensive lines and all 6 forwards will be there. Prust will still be able to have his 10-15 min a game on the 4th line and pk just like he had in New York.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:01 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Is Jacques Martin speaking right now?

This Prust on the pp is wishfull thinking and everybody knows it. We have 2 offensive lines and all 6 forwards will be there. Prust will still be able to have his 10-15 min a game on the 4th line and pk just like he had in New York.
With Prust on the PP and potentially on the second line, you would think we'd still have Martin as coach as it's very reminscient of Moen on the second line and PP.

We can have all the fighters in the world, the team lacks skill at the forward position and will have trouble winning games without skill.

Old
09-20-2012, 10:06 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
With Prust on the PP and potentially on the second line, you would think we'd still have Martin as coach as it's very reminscient of Moen on the second line and PP.

We can have all the fighters in the world, the team lacks skill at the forward position and will have trouble winning games without skill.
Who did you Suggest we get Andy? We had the best draft we've had in years... I know you don't like fighting or toughness, but everyone knows it's been a hole in the lineup for the past 8-10 years. Where we going to get these magical players to turn the team around? Prust brings toughness, accountability, hitting, and penalty killing.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Maxpac

Quote:

One issue at a time, alright? It's A LOT easier to fill the lack of grit problem compared to a lack of pure talent. I think the best thing with the new Bergevin/Therrien era is that they want 1st line players on their 1st line, 3rd line players on their 3rd line and real 4th line players on their 4th line. Players will have specific roles but wIth the same constent work ethic. My guess is Bergevin will strike big one day either a signing or blockbuster trade to fill that talent hole on the top 2 lines, ala Hossa in Chicago.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

PK lines:

1st line:
Plekanec-Prust
Gorges-Subban

2nd line:
Moen-White
Markov-Emelin (unless there is someone better than either Markov or Emelin to play shorthanded minutes on the backend since Subban and Gorges are on the top line)

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 12:57 AM
Miller Time

people seem to have short memories...

previous management tried to add skill by overpaying (either in trade/UFA signings) for guys like 2nd tier(or worse) offensive guys Tanguay, Lang, Gomez, Cammalleri, Gionta... and how did that work out?

this management team decides to focus on improving another much lacking area in our organization, and does so without giving up any assets, adding 3 character guys known for being respected in the locker room & tough to play against in their specific roles, and doing so for less than what any of those failed attempts at adding skill cost us...

and now their complaining (despite defending ad nauseum those previous failures)?

unbelievable.

It's called having a plan, and the patience to make it happen step by step, with relatively low risk decisions that won't hurt the team if they fail... then once you've built up the right infrastructure, the right culture, THEN you go make the big splash "home run" type move, so that even if it does fail, you don't wind up with a basement dwelling team.

i guess some people just don't like reasoned and rational approaches to building

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 02:19 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Therrien will make me miss Martin.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 03:21 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
i also have this feeling...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 04:36 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

I got no problem trying Prust on the 2nd wave PP , he played it before in jr and ahl, he had 5 pp goal in 2006....so not a new thing.Who knows how it might click or might not in Montreal, until ya try it .
Sorrta like how until the Cole DD and Pacman line was formed ....who knew.
Or how JM thought Darche was better option than Cole on the pp..lol eh JM?
I guess Cole was a pretty solid pp guy after all..lol

It is something that will either work or not ,and you will know it.He got so many other intangibles so whatever works will work , and he's a big asset no matter what (Pk ,driving the net ,and keeping them honest,and a hard worker every night ).

He goes out front of the net on PP(net crash), i can't see a problem .

The guy got some skills(Prust) , i mean 7 short handed goals in last 2 seasons.
To put some perspective on it , Plekanec has 4 in last 2 seasons
Pacioretty has zero in 202 career games .
Eric Cole has 8 total in 702 reg season games.

Again a guy like Prust who is goona lay it on the line for ya night in night out, ya i give this guy extra just because .
He feels he got more to prove, so give him the chance .

We're coming out of last spot here too,there not going for cup this year,if we get any season at all.
Unless there's a big surprise run,which to many is hard to see it ,but i guess that's why ya play the games.
Just don't know how many teams went from worst, to cup the next year...,odds can't be good ..lol

Last edited by Habaneros: 09-21-2012 at 05:15 AM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 04:37 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
he juggles lines just as bad..lol

Old
09-21-2012, 05:18 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/201...bs-power-play/

Rusnak’s exact question was: “Jacques, what’s the thought process behind having Mathieu Darche on the power play and having a guy like Erik Cole on the bench?”

Sounds like a fair question, no?

Martin apparently didn’t think so.

After chuckling at the rookie female reporter’s question, Martin responded: “Well, I think if you look at your stats last year, how many goals did Erik Cole score on the power play? (Answer: three). So, maybe I do some work. I think he’s had an opportunity, and Mathieu Darche I think does a good job in front of the net. So I guess that’s the prerogative of being the coach. But I think it’s always important to do the research.”

Old
09-21-2012, 05:33 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/201...bs-power-play/

Rusnak’s exact question was: “Jacques, what’s the thought process behind having Mathieu Darche on the power play and having a guy like Erik Cole on the bench?”

Sounds like a fair question, no?

Martin apparently didn’t think so.

After chuckling at the rookie female reporter’s question, Martin responded: “Well, I think if you look at your stats last year, how many goals did Erik Cole score on the power play? (Answer: three). So, maybe I do some work. I think he’s had an opportunity, and Mathieu Darche I think does a good job in front of the net. So I guess that’s the prerogative of being the coach. But I think it’s always important to do the research.”
And how many PP goals did Darche have, jacques, you useless shrub! Only 3 his entire career, at that point! Damn I'm glad he's gone!

Cole, with the hands he showed us last season, will do quite well in front of the net...

Davebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 06:29 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Who did you Suggest we get Andy? We had the best draft we've had in years... I know you don't like fighting or toughness, but everyone knows it's been a hole in the lineup for the past 8-10 years. Where we going to get these magical players to turn the team around? Prust brings toughness, accountability, hitting, and penalty killing.
Where did I say I didn't like toughness in those posts? The team lacks skill. Putting Prust on the PP and the 2nd line is just stupid. It also shows the lack of skill in the lineup. There was also some pretty decent options this summer to add skill. Instead of taking Armstrong as a reclaimation project, they could have pursued Latendresse and Mueller with more interest. Hell, they could have even brought back Andrei. Likewise, instead of chasing Doan and being willing to offer him a huge contract for an extended period time at that age, we could have went after Jagr who actually expressed coming here. On a one year deal we could have been a win-win since we probably could have flipped him at the deadline for a decent pick.

It was clear that Bergervin wanted another top 6 forward when he admitted that the team wanted Doan. Doan becomes redundant in this line up. We have to many grinding type forwards, not many skill guys. The only real skill guy in the lineup is Desharnais...maybe even Eller. Pacioretty, Cole, Gionta, Bourque are all meat and potatoes top 6 forwards. Doan fits the same bill.

There was some decent options. Also guys like Latendresse would fit the toughness bill and seeing how management didn't mind a reclaimation project, I would have liked them to have tried a little harder in their pursuit for Latendresse. I like the Prust signing, but grinders should play where grinders do play.

Also, you can bring up that we are in rebuilding mode etc etc so why go after these players anyway, but no team starts this season with the intention to lose....at least they shouldn't. Every team's goal should be to win. Even Columbus who may finish last, pursued Jagr this summer. Hell, I would say that even Bergervin disagreed with that considering he pursued Doan to fill the hole in the top 6. I liked the intention of filling the hole, but with the lack of skill I would have liked to have seen someone else pursued for a temporary fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
One issue at a time, alright? It's A LOT easier to fill the lack of grit problem compared to a lack of pure talent. I think the best thing with the new Bergevin/Therrien era is that they want 1st line players on their 1st line, 3rd line players on their 3rd line and real 4th line players on their 4th line. Players will have specific roles but wIth the same constent work ethic. My guess is Bergevin will strike big one day either a signing or blockbuster trade to fill that talent hole on the top 2 lines, ala Hossa in Chicago.
But that's the thing, Prust just said that he was promised some PP time on the second wave and potential second line time. What has changed from Martin with this happening other than the fact that we have Prust? I agree that 1st liners should play on the first line and 2nd liners should play on the second....but with Prusts comments, looks like Therrien might not agree.

Although we don't have a lot of skill in the lineup, there still isn't any reason why Prust should get 2nd wave PP time over Leblanc or Eller. None whatsoever. Prust will never be a top 6 guy. Eller and Leblanc might, so give them that opportunity.

Old
09-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Beendair Donedat

Andy - you piss and moan all the time about toughness, be honest... You don't like that part of the game. As far as Kostitsyn goes, nobody wanted him... Nobody! He's an inconsistent, play when he wants to type, and his act got old. He's in the KHL and hopefully he'll stay there. Also with regards to Latendresse he was offered the same contract that Ottawa offered and turned down the Habs. Link is here: http://tvasports.ca/tvasports/hockey...12-220144.html

And Fatendresse wouldn't solve our toughness problems. Not even close. He would add size and maybe a scoring touch, but he's not that tough.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 11:50 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Andy - you piss and moan all the time about toughness, be honest... You don't like that part of the game. As far as Kostitsyn goes, nobody wanted him... Nobody! He's an inconsistent, play when he wants to type, and his act got old. He's in the KHL and hopefully he'll stay there. Also with regards to Latendresse he was offered the same contract that Ottawa offered and turned down the Habs. Link is here: http://tvasports.ca/tvasports/hockey...12-220144.html

And Fatendresse wouldn't solve our toughness problems. Not even close. He would add size and maybe a scoring touch, but he's not that tough.
Sure you can say I hate toughness. Tbough I loved when we brought in Moen, Cole and now Prust. I guess having grinders playing where they should be is anti-toughness, then yeah I am.

As for Kostitsyn, he received offers from the Pens and Devils, so to say he wasn't wanted is pure falsehood.

Also if Latendresse chose Ottawa over Montreal, then it says something about us. Bergevin needs to find ways of making Montreal more attractive.

The lack of skill in the lineup is a big problem. This is evident with Prust potentially playing on the 2nd line and PP. It is Bergevin's responsibility to fill that hole. There were more than decent options on the market and he failed in that regard imo. And in that sense, so far its no diff from the previous regime in that we can't attract anything more than plugs or bottom 6 players.

Old
09-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Aurel Joliat

Quote:

I'm glad you're not the GM

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 12:03 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post

I'm glad you're not the GM
I'm not a fan of either, but you really think it's far-fetched to see the one that hasn't been unemployed for years as being better than the other? It's not like either has a sparkling record of success.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I'm not a fan of either, but you really think it's far-fetched to see the one that hasn't been unemployed for years as being better than the other? It's not like either has a sparkling record of success.
If you combined Martin and Therrien you'd probably get a pretty good coach, though there would still be communication issues.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
As for Kostitsyn, he received offers from the Pens and Devils, so to say he wasn't wanted is pure falsehood.
Is there a link to that somewhere? I missed it, it seems.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 01:11 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
people seem to have short memories...

previous management tried to add skill by overpaying (either in trade/UFA signings) for guys like 2nd tier(or worse) offensive guys Tanguay, Lang, Gomez, Cammalleri, Gionta... and how did that work out?

this management team decides to focus on improving another much lacking area in our organization, and does so without giving up any assets, adding 3 character guys known for being respected in the locker room & tough to play against in their specific roles, and doing so for less than what any of those failed attempts at adding skill cost us...

and now their complaining (despite defending ad nauseum those previous failures)?

unbelievable.

It's called having a plan, and the patience to make it happen step by step, with relatively low risk decisions that won't hurt the team if they fail... then once you've built up the right infrastructure, the right culture, THEN you go make the big splash "home run" type move, so that even if it does fail, you don't wind up with a basement dwelling team.

i guess some people just don't like reasoned and rational approaches to building
is it just me, or are you gloating MT ? i don't see anyone here discussing anything you brought up in your post.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 01:25 PM
bhuya71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
PK lines:

1st line:
Plekanec-Prust
Gorges-Subban

2nd line:
Moen-White
Markov-Emelin (unless there is someone better than either Markov or Emelin to play shorthanded minutes on the backend since Subban and Gorges are on the top line)
Rather go

Eller-Prust
Gorges-Subban

and

Pleks-Moen
Markov-Cube/Emelin

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote