HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Wings player contracts, by cap %

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-12-2012, 01:22 PM
  #26
GentlemanMasher*
Registered Abuser
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Ajman
Posts: 906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatter View Post
The way hockey is played today, there is no way these players will play for 1 million when they have 30x that amount in the bank. The game is too dangerous to play for that little. The only reason Alfie is coming back is because he's getting extended. He's lucky he only added 1 year at 1 million on the tail end. If it was 2-3 years at 1 million, I think he'd definitely retire. Can't see Z and Franzen playing multiple years at 1 million unless the team really wants them to and guilts them into playing, which they'd only do if they were still worth their cap hit.
They're free to do as they like. No one held a gun to their head when they signed these deals. Your team is counting on you to play, you owe it to your club to fulfill your contract unless you would've retired anyway (and only they know that). A lot of players play for less than a million and get much more banged up.

GentlemanMasher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:24 PM
  #27
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 19,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanMasher View Post
They're free to do as they like. No one held a gun to their head when they signed these deals. Your team is counting on you to play, you owe it to your club to fulfill your contract unless you would've retired anyway (and only they know that). A lot of players play for less than a million and get much more banged up.
You guys are missing a lot of the point. I don't truly feel sorry for a millionaire making a million bucks. But what I am saying is if you look at the Alfie situation he is the first guy that did this and you can tell he is struggling with the idea of playing for a year for well below his value at the end of his contract. He is still probably worth his cap hit so no concern from the Sens, but it is hard to watch even if he did commit to it.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:30 PM
  #28
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
They will almost have to be grandfathered in cannot imagine the fallout from the union if they come after this.

Although the end of contract brings up an interesting point, I think this is a big problem for Alfie in Ottawa. He can only earn a million bucks this year and it looks like he still wants to play but to put his body through that for just that amount is interesting. We all assume Z and Franzen won't meet the end of their contracts, the truth is if they are still playing at a high level and want to keep playing hockey you almost feel sorry for them at that point considering the grind it takes and physical punishment at that age.
IMO, this is more about rich owners vs small owners, not NHLPA.
What they could/should do, if a player retires, perhaps, on one of those massive contracts, is add a cap penalty based on the circumvention.
So If Hank retired 3 years early. That's like 13M the Wings saved in capspace. Simply add the the 13M to the cap hit over three years, for like an annual hit penalty of $42.5 million.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:41 PM
  #29
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 19,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
IMO, this is more about rich owners vs small owners, not NHLPA.
What they could/should do, if a player retires, perhaps, on one of those massive contracts, is add a cap penalty based on the circumvention.
So If Hank retired 3 years early. That's like 13M the Wings saved in capspace. Simply add the the 13M to the cap hit over three years, for like an annual hit penalty of $42.5 million.
I think you misunderstand the ability to manipulate contracts is pretty important to both sides. And just putting something into place without negotiation isn't going to go well. Even things like realignment now need the rubber stamp, rules changes everything needs both sides approval. The one difference is suspensions and it would seem a big point the NHLPA is after in this round of negotiations.

I don't know why anybody would agree to changing the rules on deals that are already signed under different circumstances. That cap hit penalty would be a ridiculous step if it applied to Z's deal. That is not why it was signed and both sides agreed to it under a different set of contracts.

I would like them to close the loophole of hiding contracts, but the NHLPA should be on board with that because even if they are sent to the AHL and count against the cap or loaned overseas they still get paid, but this would keep their guys in the NHL. That is really the only thing people ask for constantly that I can see the NHLPA having no problem with.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:44 PM
  #30
GentlemanMasher*
Registered Abuser
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Ajman
Posts: 906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
You guys are missing a lot of the point. I don't truly feel sorry for a millionaire making a million bucks. But what I am saying is if you look at the Alfie situation he is the first guy that did this and you can tell he is struggling with the idea of playing for a year for well below his value at the end of his contract. He is still probably worth his cap hit so no concern from the Sens, but it is hard to watch even if he did commit to it.
He signed it of his own volition. He could've asked for more balance. He knew this was coming. Sure, it sucks, but like I said a ton of guys break themselves for less in their primes. I'm sure he'll survive one season.

GentlemanMasher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:46 PM
  #31
Soft Rock Renegade
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanMasher View Post
He signed it of his own volition. He could've asked for more balance. He knew this was coming. Sure, it sucks, but like I said a ton of guys break themselves for less in their primes. I'm sure he'll survive one season.
The point is that no player in his right mind will play for 1 million dollars when they've got 30+ in the bank. The player and the team are aligned in this respect. Once Z/Mule are no longer worth their cap hits, they will want to retire anyway. So no need to worry about the length of these deals.

Soft Rock Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:50 PM
  #32
KingzOverAcez
Registered User
 
KingzOverAcez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatter View Post
The point is that no player in his right mind will play for 1 million dollars when they've got 30+ in the bank. The player and the team are aligned in this respect. Once Z/Mule are no longer worth their cap hits, they will want to retire anyway. So no need to worry about the length of these deals.
The Z contract will be an issue if he continues to have back problems and is not playing a full season and DET has to endure his entire cap hit.

KingzOverAcez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:54 PM
  #33
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 8,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingzOverAcez View Post
The Z contract will be an issue if he continues to have back problems and is not playing a full season and DET has to endure his entire cap hit.
He will go and "find god" like Rafalski did.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:08 PM
  #34
ricky0034
Registered User
 
ricky0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingzOverAcez View Post
The Z contract will be an issue if he continues to have back problems and is not playing a full season and DET has to endure his entire cap hit.
Zetterberg has averaged 77.6 games played/season the last 5 seasons and just played 82 last year and 80 the year before

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:04 PM
  #35
Bench
Moderator
Coffee. Pie. Owls.
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Twin Peaks
Posts: 7,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
He will go and "find god" like Rafalski did.
Pretty sure Tim Thomas found God in a bunker somewhere.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:40 PM
  #36
P U L L H A R D
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 24,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatter View Post
The point is that no player in his right mind will play for 1 million dollars when they've got 30+ in the bank. The player and the team are aligned in this respect. Once Z/Mule are no longer worth their cap hits, they will want to retire anyway. So no need to worry about the length of these deals.
Z is almost at that point

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:26 AM
  #37
ricky0034
Registered User
 
ricky0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Z is almost at that point
yeah Zetterberg only had 34 points the last 30 games of the season

he should probably just retire right now

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:22 AM
  #38
GentlemanMasher*
Registered Abuser
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Ajman
Posts: 906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatter View Post
The point is that no player in his right mind will play for 1 million dollars when they've got 30+ in the bank.
I didn't demand that. If they wanna retire, have at 'er.

Hell, you'd think having 30 mil in the bank would make playing for 1 mil that much easier. Imagine being a guy who has only made 5-6 million over his 10 year career, is hurt a lot more, has to play harder and rougher and only has a mil or so to look forward to all next season, if he's lucky? Now that would suck. Every time you strap up in that final season, just think of that nice sweet 30 million dollar pot you're sitting on. Shouldn't make it that hard.

GentlemanMasher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 07:54 PM
  #39
jaster
I pay off the mods.
 
jaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,315
vCash: 500
Quincey added. He's our #2 defenseman

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:00 PM
  #40
InGusWeTrust
hockey.tk
 
InGusWeTrust's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Quincey added. He's our #2 defenseman


InGusWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:08 PM
  #41
Bench
Moderator
Coffee. Pie. Owls.
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Twin Peaks
Posts: 7,467
vCash: 500
Hard to believe our entire D has a cap hit of 16.4. Ranks us 22nd in the league.

But the difference is only 1 major player, since the 2nd ranked Sharks have 24 million tied up. We'd be around 2nd if Suter signed here, for example. Philly's top number is inflated due to the Pronger deal still currently on the books.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:10 PM
  #42
ZetterBurger
Registered User
 
ZetterBurger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 6,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Quincey added. He's our #2 defenseman
I think people will be quite fine with that this year. He's going to be great.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:14 PM
  #43
Bench
Moderator
Coffee. Pie. Owls.
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Twin Peaks
Posts: 7,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
I think people will be quite fine with that this year. He's going to be great.
Quincey plays with some ferocity. I like that. If he can keep the intensity up while managing the dumb penalties, he could be a real gem at both ends.

If he continues to take the dumb penalties... ehhhh... at least he's got a good shot.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:32 PM
  #44
P U L L H A R D
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 24,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
yeah Zetterberg only had 34 points the last 30 games of the season

he should probably just retire right now
I was exaggerating. It was a joke. Tough crowd out here eh.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:18 PM
  #45
ZetterBurger
Registered User
 
ZetterBurger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 6,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Quincey plays with some ferocity. I like that. If he can keep the intensity up while managing the dumb penalties, he could be a real gem at both ends.

If he continues to take the dumb penalties... ehhhh... at least he's got a good shot.
Agreed. The penalties takign needs to be kept in check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
I was exaggerating. It was a joke. Tough crowd out here eh.
Don't joke with us right now we are in a very delicate state!!

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:26 PM
  #46
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Kyle Quincey around New Year's last year: Healthy Scratch for Colorado.
Colorado also moved him for a third liner in Steve Downey.

He came to Detroit and the team sucked, and so did Quincey. Quincey played so poorly that he was a healthy scratch. But he got right back into the lineup after Kindl had a dog of a game.

Just trying to inject a bit of realism as the fluffers begin to do their work.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:35 PM
  #47
Bench
Moderator
Coffee. Pie. Owls.
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Twin Peaks
Posts: 7,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Kyle Quincey around New Year's last year: Healthy Scratch for Colorado.
Colorado also moved him for a third liner in Steve Downey.

He came to Detroit and the team sucked, and so did Quincey. Quincey played so poorly that he was a healthy scratch. But he got right back into the lineup after Kindl had a dog of a game.

Just trying to inject a bit of realism as the fluffers begin to do their work.
Oh lordy. He was "scratched" in Detroit when everybody was getting rotated before the playoffs. That was part of the plan all along and it was widely documented at the time as each of the guys took turns sitting out.

Only in your world is that "realism." This chart might help you see which one most resembles your cheery attitude.


Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 07:48 PM
  #48
jaster
I pay off the mods.
 
jaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,315
vCash: 500
I wasn't going to bump this, but with the newly-extended off-season, meh why not. Updated with Abdelkader and Colaiacovo.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 03:16 AM
  #49
TS Quint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
I wasn't going to bump this, but with the newly-extended off-season, meh why not. Updated with Abdelkader and Colaiacovo.
Thanks for the bump, I'm new and haven't seen this. Good work! For all the crap Holland takes for Bert's contract it fits in with his roll as a 3rd line value.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.