HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

EOJHL Regular Season Underway

Old
09-21-2012, 06:24 AM
eddyshack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangersfan21 View Post
They should have a decent season even with the loss of collins. They have the leagues best goalie and some young guys dropped from jr.a
Who is their goalie ? Did he play the other night to a 11-2 loss ?

eddyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 06:58 AM
Jeff077

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyshack View Post
Who is their goalie ? Did he play the other night to a 11-2 loss ?
That was Almonte who lost 11-2 not Arnrprior and the Packers #1 is Kyle Lamothe.

Jeff077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 07:45 AM
PG

...and this is what is unique to Ontario....Most, if not all other jursidictions across Canada encourage 16 and 17 yr olds to finish their minor career in Midget, with just the few exceptions jumping to Major JR.....JR B would almost exclusively be (in other jurisdictions) for 18-20 yr olds who are going to college/university....It is too bad that Major Midget has lost its cache in Ontario.....

Last edited by PG: 09-21-2012 at 07:56 AM.
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 07:46 AM
PG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL14 View Post
I think the EOJHL has done a great job in using all of it 16 year old cards. If a team didn't use them, they traded them to teams looking to use them. Unlike the CJHL who only used a little over half of their available cards....good on the EOJHL...as said in the last post, a kid was given a place to play even if it is not his home town.
...and this is what is unique to Ontario....Most, if not all other jursidictions across Canada encourage 16 and 17 yr olds to finish their minor career in Midget, with just the few exceptions jumping to Major JR.....JR B would almost exclusively be (in other jurisdictions) for 18-20 yr olds who are going to college/university....It is too bad that Major Midget has lost its cache in Ontario.....

Old
09-21-2012, 08:13 AM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
I think the EOJHL has done a great job in using all of it 16 year old cards. If a team didn't use them, they traded them to teams looking to use them. Unlike the CJHL who only used a little over half of their available cards....good on the EOJHL...as said in the last post, a kid was given a place to play even if it is not his home town.
Not sure why it is a bad thing that the CCHL did not use all the cards available, it probably just means that there are not enough 16 year olds ready to play Jr A. I would rather see these players in Jr B or midget if they are not ready. Personally I aplaud the CCHL for not feeling obligated to use all their 16 year old cards.

Ottawa Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 08:47 AM
Jeff077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Guy View Post
Not sure why it is a bad thing that the CCHL did not use all the cards available, it probably just means that there are not enough 16 year olds ready to play Jr A. I would rather see these players in Jr B or midget if they are not ready. Personally I aplaud the CCHL for not feeling obligated to use all their 16 year old cards.
I agree. If a 16 year old player is borderline at the Jr. level whether it be A or B they should go and play Midget hockey, and play at a level where the will get more ice time and develop.
The talent pool of 16 year olds varies from year to year. I have coached teams with 4, 16 year olds and other years I had none.

Old
09-21-2012, 11:07 AM
KL14

Don't get me wrong

If I had a say, there would be no 16 year cards and all players would at least finish their first year of major midget prior to making the jump to Junior hockey, but given the current system, using them is better than losing them.. IMO...and people are getting bored with the 16 year old card discussion so this is my last post on this....until next season

KL14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Jeff077

Quote:
If I had a say, there would be no 16 year cards and all players would at least finish their first year of major midget prior to making the jump to Junior hockey, but given the current system, using them is better than losing them.. IMO...and people are getting bored with the 16 year old card discussion so this is my last post on this....until next season
I have always been a advocate for having 16 year old cards but I am not narrow minded enough to see the different view points as to why it would be beneficial to play at least 1 year of Major Midget hockey.
However I would argue that there are typically quite a few 16 year olds ready to play Jr hockey so why hold them back? Also for some families it is alot cheaper and easier for their son to play Jr. rather than say AAA. There are families that simply cannot afford the monetary cost or the time cost to play AAA so if they cannot do that and they are not allowed to play Jr. some will be forced to play Midget Rep whether it is A or B depending where they live and for those kids it is kind of a wasted year.
I think Hockey Canada is doing the right thing here in limiting the # that are allowed to play yet not completely taking the opportunity away from the players capable of playing at the Jr. level at that age.
Just my opinion but I do see both sides of the arguement.

Old
09-21-2012, 04:27 PM
eddyshack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff077 View Post
That was Almonte who lost 11-2 not Arnrprior and the Packers #1 is Kyle Lamothe.
You are right. And Kyle is a very good goalie for sure.

Old
09-22-2012, 09:43 AM
KL14

Teams to Watch

I think it is going to be Gatineau and Casselmen again this year....I will wait to see what happens on Sunday to see if Perth can work its way into the mix as teams to watch as well....There will be a chance to see all of teams at the EOJHL Showcase....all teams will be there with 22 games played over three days. I was looking at the schedule and they are allowing 2 1/2 hours per game.....it will be interesting to see if they can keep the program on time.

Old
09-22-2012, 11:12 AM
PG

Quote:
I think it is going to be Gatineau and Casselmen again this year....I will wait to see what happens on Sunday to see if Perth can work its way into the mix as teams to watch as well....There will be a chance to see all of teams at the EOJHL Showcase....all teams will be there with 22 games played over three days. I was looking at the schedule and they are allowing 2 1/2 hours per game.....it will be interesting to see if they can keep the program on time.
Winchester off to a bumby start....lots of new faces....Metcalfe yet to open their season but management optimistic they have a competitive team

Old
09-22-2012, 11:58 AM
eddyshack

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG View Post
Winchester off to a bumby start....lots of new faces....Metcalfe yet to open their season but management optimistic they have a competitive team
I think Char Lan Rebels will suprise many and Alexandria Glens may be OK. It appears that Morrisburg and Akw may be better than last year. The St Lawrence division should be competitive.

Last edited by eddyshack: 09-22-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old
09-22-2012, 12:32 PM
JackalsKnuckles

Looking for some help from those of you who follow the EOJHL closely.

I have a couple trips planned to the region this season to check out some games and arenas for my site including next weekend. I have some OHL and CCHL arenas on the agenda, but can likely hit some EOJHL games as well.

This league doesn't get much media coverage on the internet so I am not really familiar with any of the arenas in the league. We love attending GOJHL games, and like Junior B hockey, and were hoping you guys could recommend any unique, interesting, or "must see" arenas in the EOJHL so we could check them out for the site.

Thanks

Last edited by Majik1987: 09-22-2012 at 10:11 PM. Reason: advertising - personal site removed.
JackalsKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 03:19 PM
KL14

Looking for Games

Most JrB games take place on the weekends, Friday & Saturday nights and Sunday afternoons and evenings...except the Ottawa teams, of which there are two, they tend to play Tuesday and Thursday nights. So it depends when you are going to be in town, but here is the link to the EOJHL Schedule..http://www.eojhl.ca/leagues/schedule...leagueid=19093 this should help

Old
09-22-2012, 07:12 PM
hawxfan

Quote:
You are right. And Kyle is a very good goalie for sure.
Arnprior had a good team last year as well as a good goalie, but like the rest of the team hes gone....Primeau the d man gone to the Q, Moffatt to Kanata Stallions, and Couvrette the goalie gone to Carleton Place Canadians. All that to say that they are in a rebuild year and thats not uncommon in Jr. B with all the movement each year. Its definetly a launching pad for CJHL players, whether they play Jr. B for one or two years.

hawxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 07:44 PM
KL14

Arnprior has a very young team

Arnprior is using four 16 year olds, as is Renfrew and Stittsville, Perth has three, Almonte has two. I am sure by Christmas as Jr A teams finalize their rosters and players are added to Jr B teams, many of the 16 year olds will see their ice time reduced but it seems most are getting their fair share of ice thus far. I predict that 50% of the 16 year olds playing in the Valley Division of the EOJHL will be playing in the CCHL next year.

Old
09-22-2012, 07:52 PM
hockeynut12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackalsKnuckles View Post

I have a couple trips planned to the region this season to check out some games and arenas for my site including next weekend. I have some OHL and CCHL arenas on the agenda, but can likely hit some EOJHL games as well.

This league doesn't get much media coverage on the internet so I am not really familiar with any of the arenas in the league. We love attending GOJHL games, and like Junior B hockey, and were hoping you guys could recommend any unique, interesting, or "must see" arenas in the EOJHL so we could check them out for the site.

Thanks
If there is a "must see" arena in the EOJHL I would definitely catch a game in Casselman. Much like the Memorial Centre in Brockville, Casselman has the small rink feel with the recent new addition of seats around half of the rink. The rink is crowded and loud come playoff time.

Most teams in the EOJHL play in small towns that have small rinks without anything to write home about. However, I know the Akwesasne Wolves play out of a nice arena that was also home to the Akwesasne Warriors of the Federal Hockey League. I have also heard that Renfrew has the nicest arena in the league but I have never been. If you decide to head out to Renfrew for a game, I would encourage you to visit the Pembroke Memorial Centre home of the Jr A Pembroke Lumber Kings. Undoubtedly the best atmosphere in Ottawa Junior Hockey. (Excluding Major Junior of course)

Last edited by Majik1987: 09-22-2012 at 10:11 PM. Reason: qe
hockeynut12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 08:13 PM
KL14

You need to go to Buckingham

If you get the chance, go and see the Gatineau Mustangs at their arena in Buckingham.....fans are on top of players, loads of beer flowing, the Gatineau team is good and their fans love them. It is like being at a bar with an ice pad in the middle.

Old
09-22-2012, 08:13 PM
PG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut12 View Post
If there is a "must see" arena in the EOJHL I would definitely catch a game in Casselman. Much like the Memorial Centre in Brockville, Casselman has the small rink feel with the recent new addition of seats around half of the rink. The rink is crowded and loud come playoff time.

Most teams in the EOJHL play in small towns that have small rinks without anything to write home about. However, I know the Akwesasne Wolves play out of a nice arena that was also home to the Akwesasne Warriors of the Federal Hockey League. I have also heard that Renfrew has the nicest arena in the league but I have never been. If you decide to head out to Renfrew for a game, I would encourage you to visit the Pembroke Memorial Centre home of the Jr A Pembroke Lumber Kings. Undoubtedly the best atmosphere in Ottawa Junior Hockey. (Excluding Major Junior of course)
I'm told Gatineau (Buckingham) has a full house and a raucous fan base.....Gatineau entertains Metcalfe next Friday night (28th)

Old
09-22-2012, 08:15 PM
hawxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut12 View Post

Renfrew does have a nice set-up, for sure. My son played in that rink last year, its great for the fans and scouts. And for sure check out a Lumber Kings game is your are in that neck of the woods, great atmpsohere...I've been to Akwesasne as well and its nice for sure...

hawxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 09:46 PM
fedoraforme

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackalsKnuckles View Post

Thanks
I would definitely recommend Buckingham as a 'unique' arena and atmosphere to take in on a Friday night. Barbara Ann Scott on a Thursday night is a nice arena to watch a game in. Also fond of watching in the 'Beaver Dam' in Clarence Creek. Enjoy your visit!

Last edited by Majik1987: 09-22-2012 at 10:12 PM. Reason: qe
fedoraforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 03:21 AM
eddyshack

Surprise ! Char Lan Rebels beats Casselman Vikings, the 2011-2012 league champions, 7 to 6 in Overtime tonight. The Rebels lead their division and 2nd overall early in the new season.

Akw Wolfs beats the Win Hawks 4 to 3 in OT. Tom Kirkwood's Hawks are 1-3 but will get better. The young team is struggling. The coach will lead the way.

Last edited by eddyshack: 09-23-2012 at 03:28 AM.
Old
09-23-2012, 07:40 PM
KL14

Teams to Watch

Arnprior handled Perth today 7-2...Perth just never got going.

Old
09-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Roofus

Quote:
Surprise ! Char Lan Rebels beats Casselman Vikings, the 2011-2012 league champions, 7 to 6 in Overtime tonight. The Rebels lead their division and 2nd overall early in the new season.

Akw Wolfs beats the Win Hawks 4 to 3 in OT. Tom Kirkwood's Hawks are 1-3 but will get better. The young team is struggling. The coach will lead the way.
Casselman starting the year with the classic Championship hangover,head coaches first game behind the bench was on Saturday in CharLan. Finished serving his three game suspension, trumped up tampering claim by the Awk Wolves. Head coach will get this hangover cured quickly!!!
Alex Glens in for a long season, CharLan good young team, Colts hand me downs will decide there season. Morrisburg team to watch, for biggest turnaround season , Winchester small team overall, very unusual for the Hawks , Small barn big team has been their Moto, Awk Wolves will fight Alex for the last place , another long yr for the wolves.
IMO division will end up
Casselman,Morrisburg,Winchester,CharLan, Glens, Wolves

Roofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 10:20 PM
eddyshack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Casselman starting the year with the classic Championship hangover,head coaches first game behind the bench was on Saturday in CharLan. Finished serving his three game suspension, trumped up tampering claim by the Awk Wolves. Head coach will get this hangover cured quickly!!!
Alex Glens in for a long season, CharLan good young team, Colts hand me downs will decide there season. Morrisburg team to watch, for biggest turnaround season , Winchester small team overall, very unusual for the Hawks , Small barn big team has been their Moto, Awk Wolves will fight Alex for the last place , another long yr for the wolves.
IMO division will end up
Casselman,Morrisburg,Winchester,CharLan, Glens, Wolves
I think it is going to be tighter than you suggest with Char Lan in second place, if the goal tending remains strong. That could be an issue.

If Win Hawks don't get mobilized they could be fighting with the Glens and Wolves for last place.

Good for Morrisburg, new coach and new attitude.