HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Ottawa Senators Playing Elsewhere During The Lockout Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-19-2012, 10:41 AM
  #51
pepty
Registered User
 
pepty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,057
vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebolarama View Post
Have you ever been to Binghamton?
Pretty sure he's from Binghamton.
Lets not start another slagging match.

pepty is online now  
Old
09-19-2012, 01:36 PM
  #52
sens83
Registered User
 
sens83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,763
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebolarama View Post
Have you ever been to Binghamton?
toe2toe is from Bingo there slick, as am I.

Let's not make this out to be something it isn't. I don't come on here and say, "have you ever been to Ottawa", do i? It is what you make it, and frankly, the minors are intended to be in small markets, that's the point.

sens83 is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 01:38 PM
  #53
sens83
Registered User
 
sens83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,763
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash88 View Post
I think it's more of a "I'd rather the NHL was playing" Then a slight to Bingo...
This. Cowen was probably looking forward to playing in the N rather than the A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
OKC made the WCF Finals last year, without RNH, Eberle, or Hall. They're a good team adding some really talented players - they should easily be a contender.
Yes, exactly. Scary, even if they play half a season. That Norfolk win record may be in jeopardy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
But so much fun to watch.
Yes it will be. Frankly, I'm looking forward to Albany, Rochester, and Adirondack match ups.

sens83 is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 05:28 PM
  #54
Canuckman44
Registered User
 
Canuckman44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gatineau/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 799
vCash: 500
It's not a slight against Binghamton at all. It's simply a fact that you are being forced to play at a lower level, weaker slower players, bus rides, small crowds, for a tenth of the money. Hell I wouldn't be excited either and I watch upward of thirty Bingo games a year. It's kind of like NFL vs Arena Football League. Cowen will be a professional but he should be careful what he says so that he is not misinterpreted. There isn't one high end prospect on any team that is saying, " Yeah, I get to play in the AHL, I've made the big leagues!"

Canuckman44 is offline  
Old
09-20-2012, 08:23 AM
  #55
Beville
#ForTheBoys
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Engerlanddd!
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
From the way you phrased, it seems like your saying no other Latvians have played in the NHL. May i remind you about...

Arturs Irbe
Sandis Ozolins
Oh no I know they've both played...

Just in comparison to those who haven't actually played in it...

Basically, the way I see it...

Someone decided to take a chance on K-Daug, and not those other players...

Beville is offline  
Old
09-20-2012, 09:02 AM
  #56
Xspyrit
Registered User
 
Xspyrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
Country: Italy
Posts: 13,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
OKC made the WCF Finals last year, without RNH, Eberle, or Hall. They're a good team adding some really talented players - they should easily be a contender.
Oops, didn't know. I admit I only follow the B-Sens in the AHL. Might be forced to follow he AHL more for now

Xspyrit is online now  
Old
09-21-2012, 07:48 AM
  #57
tehdee
Registered User
 
tehdee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: China
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
looks like Karlsson (along with Lundqvist) are heading to Frolunda of the SEL after the league was forced by the government to rescind its' ban on NHLers....

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle15482680.ab

though of course nothing will be in stone until we see something official from the players directly...

pretty exciting stuff for an ottawa fan who just moved to sweden though...

tehdee is offline  
Old
09-21-2012, 08:44 AM
  #58
Canuckman44
Registered User
 
Canuckman44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gatineau/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 799
vCash: 500
The sad part is that it is the high end guys with very healthy bank accounts who could afford sitting out the season are getting the jobs. It is the lower end guys who are really going to hurt.

Canuckman44 is offline  
Old
09-21-2012, 09:26 AM
  #59
WantEggRoll
Registered User
 
WantEggRoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,757
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckman44 View Post
The sad part is that it is the high end guys with very healthy bank accounts who could afford sitting out the season are getting the jobs. It is the lower end guys who are really going to hurt.
Just like those rich decent actors that get all the good movie parts. Why can't they give roles to crappy actors so they don't starve?

The next time I get into legal trouble I'm not going to hire some high priced lawyer who can get me out of it. Instead I'm going to hire a lawyer who is barely making ends meet because he isn't very good because that is the right thing to do apparently.

WantEggRoll is offline  
Old
09-21-2012, 10:50 AM
  #60
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie
 
CanadianHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: uOttawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,645
vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
Just like those rich decent actors that get all the good movie parts. Why can't they give roles to crappy actors so they don't starve?

The next time I get into legal trouble I'm not going to hire some high priced lawyer who can get me out of it. Instead I'm going to hire a lawyer who is barely making ends meet because he isn't very good because that is the right thing to do apparently.
Not very good comparables.

It'd be more like if those rich, decent actors were locked out of the big production companies and all decided to go sign on for indie work on the cheap. Then all the indie actors aren't able to land roles and have to find other work.

Similarly, it's like if all the big name law firms locked out their employees. They'd all flock to smaller law firms, and the small time lawyers would be out of a job.

Part of the difference between you two is that you're coming from the perspective of owners (who are looking to get the best employees possible), he's coming from the perspective of a union guy or employees in general (who are looking to keep their jobs and grow in the industry).

__________________
CanadianHockey________ __ __________Sens, Oilers, and Team Canada
CanadianHockey is offline  
Old
09-21-2012, 10:58 AM
  #61
WantEggRoll
Registered User
 
WantEggRoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,757
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Not very good comparables.

It'd be more like if those rich, decent actors were locked out of the big production companies and all decided to go sign on for indie work on the cheap. Then all the indie actors aren't able to land roles and have to find other work.

Similarly, it's like if all the big name law firms locked out their employees. They'd all flock to smaller law firms, and the small time lawyers would be out of a job.

Part of the difference between you two is that you're coming from the perspective of owners (who are looking to get the best employees possible), he's coming from the perspective of a union guy or employees in general (who are looking to keep their jobs and grow in the industry).
The idea has nothing to do with unions and people locked out of production companies. The idea is that people want the best product possible for their business. Jason York has been on about it all morning on the Team and echoed my opinion perfectly. According to all these "they are stealing jobs" people they should be pissed off with European's coming over to play in the NHL.

With the lockout in effect there is currently no NHL, so these talented hockey players are going to get jobs elsewhere. Did the players ask to be locked out? Nope. How are they even "crossing a picket line" when they aren't on strike.

If your boss told you that you couldn't come to work you're saying you wouldn't look for a part-time job until things got settled?

What right did Jakob Silfverberg have coming over last year during the playoffs and "stealing" the job of someone already in the lineup. Pesky Europeans ought to stay over on their side of the room.

WantEggRoll is offline  
Old
09-21-2012, 11:16 AM
  #62
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar
 
PeterSidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Michigan
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 15,021
vCash: 500
The problem is it comes off as hypocritical when the players go on about solidarity. Personally, I like the SEL's notion of not allowing NHL players to play. Plus, as a fan, you get to see a Spezza or a Thornton for how many games? He then leaves 10-15 games into the season and that's that. If I'm a fan I would want that player to make a commitment for the entire year, or not play at all.

And listening to an ESPN America writer interview yesterday, that's exactly how fans are feeling over there is what he was saying, as opposed to the lockout of 2004 where it was more of a novelty, now the novelty has worn off.

PeterSidorkiewicz is online now  
Old
09-21-2012, 11:26 AM
  #63
WantEggRoll
Registered User
 
WantEggRoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,757
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
The problem is it comes off as hypocritical when the players go on about solidarity. Personally, I like the SEL's notion of not allowing NHL players to play. Plus, as a fan, you get to see a Spezza or a Thornton for how many games? He then leaves 10-15 games into the season and that's that. If I'm a fan I would want that player to make a commitment for the entire year, or not play at all.

And listening to an ESPN America writer interview yesterday, that's exactly how fans are feeling over there is what he was saying, as opposed to the lockout of 2004 where it was more of a novelty, now the novelty has worn off.
As a fan I would love if the Ottawa Senators only ever signed players that wanted to play in Ottawa for life. If Bryan Murray goes out and trades for a "rental" player at the deadline and said player helps Ottawa to win the Stanley Cup I doubt I would be complaining. Sure I only got to see him play in what like 20 games max, but it isn't how many games he plays, it is what effect he had while playing that is going to be more important to me as a fan.

Apparently the team Spezza is going to hasn't made their playoffs in awhile. If Jason goes in and helps win them a ton of games, and even though he leaves, those games put them into the postseason. Are those fans going to be pissed he played to begin with?


Look the Russians/Swedes/Finnish/European players all have their own leagues that they could play in. A lot of the best players from those countries choose to play in the NHL. So what is wrong with players from the NHL choosing to go over to Europe when their options in North America are eliminated? Professional sports are based around the best players getting to play not giving jobs to the largest amount of players possible.


Last edited by WantEggRoll: 09-21-2012 at 11:42 AM.
WantEggRoll is offline  
Old
09-21-2012, 11:53 AM
  #64
Sens Mile
Registered User
 
Sens Mile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,458
vCash: 500
Updated

Sens Mile is offline  
Old
09-21-2012, 01:37 PM
  #65
krapsik
Registered User
 
krapsik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Estonia
Country: Estonia
Posts: 423
vCash: 500
As a Sens fan i am realy hope for the short lockout. But as a Sens fan i am hope, that lockout leasts till november, so i have chance to see two Ottawa player in Dinamo Riga-Magnitogorsk game. 22 oktober. 23 oktober is a perfect lockout ending date.

krapsik is offline  
Old
09-21-2012, 06:12 PM
  #66
pepty
Registered User
 
pepty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,057
vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by krapsik View Post
As a Sens fan i am realy hope for the short lockout. But as a Sens fan i am hope, that lockout leasts till november, so i have chance to see two Ottawa player in Dinamo Riga-Magnitogorsk game. 22 oktober. 23 oktober is a perfect lockout ending date.
Gonchar vs Daugavins. You'll get to see that Malkin guy too.

pepty is online now  
Old
09-25-2012, 02:06 PM
  #67
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,564
vCash: 500
Daugaviņš scored his first goal today in the KHL

BalticWarrior is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 05:34 PM
  #68
Zamuz
Registered User
 
Zamuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Finland
Country: Jamaica
Posts: 1,301
vCash: 500
Erik Karlsson close to play in Jokerit (SM-liiga) according to finnish newspapers.

Zamuz is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 07:02 PM
  #69
DJB
Sens best prospect
 
DJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,769
vCash: 820
It's all over twitter as well. Karlsson is headed to Jokerit (sp) of the Finnish elite league.

Quite suprised he isn't headed to Sweden to be honest...

DJB is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 07:04 PM
  #70
sg58
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,206
vCash: 500
There's gonna be an out in any contract Erik signs that lets him play for Frölunda when the club and SEL gets things sorted. There's been too much uncertainty up until now, but it's not like he wouldn't play for Frölunda if he could.

sg58 is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 07:53 PM
  #71
Zamuz
Registered User
 
Zamuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Finland
Country: Jamaica
Posts: 1,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
It's all over twitter as well. Karlsson is headed to Jokerit (sp) of the Finnish elite league.

Quite suprised he isn't headed to Sweden to be honest...
He is good friends with Jarkko Ruutu, maybe that's why.

Zamuz is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 01:16 AM
  #72
LSnow
Registered User
 
LSnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
There's gonna be an out in any contract Erik signs that lets him play for Frölunda when the club and SEL gets things sorted. There's been too much uncertainty up until now, but it's not like he wouldn't play for Frölunda if he could.
Well he gets to play with Filppula, in a most hated team on the league.. Allthough, as a swede going to HIFK would have made sense since its Finn-Swedish team

LSnow is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 10:28 AM
  #73
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet
 
PatrickEaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,786
vCash: 500
Karlsson also seems to be more suited playing on small ice than big ice (I already went over this in the World Championship thread), and if I recall correctly, the ice in Finland is smaller than anywhere else in Europe.

__________________
No, I'm not a girl. Stop asking!
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBlQ4ybRWH8
PatrickEaves is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 11:07 AM
  #74
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 42,570
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
Karlsson also seems to be more suited playing on small ice than big ice (I already went over this in the World Championship thread), and if I recall correctly, the ice in Finland is smaller than anywhere else in Europe.
It varies greatly. Jokerit home rink is the standard international size 30 m x 60 m.

Jussi is online now  
Old
09-26-2012, 11:12 AM
  #75
WantEggRoll
Registered User
 
WantEggRoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,757
vCash: 177
Edit: Jokerit it is - http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=642242


Last edited by WantEggRoll: 09-26-2012 at 11:17 AM.
WantEggRoll is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.