*OFFICIAL* Owen Sound Attack 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-11-2012, 06:38 PM
bidzey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
On the powerplay Chiarlitti really needs to keep his blasts down before he hits Lindo or Gabor in the face or anyone in front for that matter lol.
getting one of his shots in the head would definitely hurt...

Old
09-18-2012, 02:28 PM
bidzey

Stanley Cup will be making an appearance in Owen Sound Today, September 18th

Old
09-20-2012, 08:54 PM
mapleleaf979

Lindo had a nice debut tonight. 1g1a.

Old
09-20-2012, 09:12 PM
bidzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Lindo had a nice debut tonight. 1g1a.
he definitely didn't look like a rookie, he looks very promising.

We'll see how good Owen Sound is this year when they play Kitchener, London, or Barrie.

Old
09-20-2012, 11:19 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzey View Post
he definitely didn't look like a rookie, he looks very promising.

We'll see how good Owen Sound is this year when they play Kitchener, London, or Barrie.
Ive stated in the past Lindo's adjustment would be one of the easier ones from the 2012 OHL draft. He is built like a 20 yr old and skates with great speed/explosion. Some kids are big but dont possess strength or balance yet, Lindo does. He tossed around some big boys last year. Great work ethic on the ice and loyalty towards his teammates. Ive always been a huge fan of his, fantastic kid.

Old
09-20-2012, 11:26 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Ive stated in the past Lindo's adjustment would be one of the easier ones from the 2012 OHL draft. He is built like a 20 yr old and skates with great speed/explosion. Some kids are big but dont possess strength or balance yet, Lindo does. He tossed around some big boys last year. Great work ethic on the ice and loyalty towards his teammates. Ive always been a huge fan of his, fantastic kid.
You are correct Lindo played a great 1st game,would never have known he was a rookie based on his play,great selection by the Attack

Old
09-20-2012, 11:35 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
You are correct Lindo played a great 1st game,would never have known he was a rookie based on his play,great selection by the Attack
I know its early, but I'd expect more of this. His board work is going to drive teams crazy. He is tough to contain down low, he generates offense forechecking and digging pucks out of corners.

Old
09-21-2012, 05:53 AM
bidzey

Quote:
I know its early, but I'd expect more of this. His board work is going to drive teams crazy. He is tough to contain down low, he generates offense forechecking and digging pucks out of corners.
board work is what wins games, the team that comes out with the puck in the battle against the boards is usually the team that wins, so that's awesome.

I knew Owen Sound were missing a few guys for the first game but I never realized they had this much not dressed for this game.
(Alex Annachiarico, Joseph Blandisi, Jacob Middleton, Jarrod Maidens, Artur Gavrus and Brendan Childerley)

Maiden is still long term... get well buddy!

Old
09-21-2012, 10:56 AM
Raisy

Why was Middleton out? Lindo was impressive, wish the Spits could have grabbed him.

Old
09-21-2012, 05:09 PM
bidzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisy View Post
Why was Middleton out?
I was wondering the same. I know he got a mild injury in the exhibition games but I don't think that was it.

Old
09-29-2012, 06:38 AM
HLLYWD99

Interesting article by the Sun Times Walker written prior to last nights game where the Cat was sent to the dressing room after taking a penalty late in the third with the Attack nursing another 1 goal lead.

Ireland lays down the law on penalties

Daniel Catenacci isn’t the kind of player that you’d imagine would lead the Ontario Hockey League in penalty minutes.
At five-foot-10, 191 pounds, the Newmarket native is known more for his blazing speed than his punching prowess.
Yet there he is, just four games into the season, sitting atop the sin bin parade with seven minor penalties and 19 minutes in total.
“It’s something I don’t want and we’re not benefiting with anyone on our team in the box,” Catenacci said Friday prior to Owen Sound’s 3-2 win in Guelph.
“It’s something I’m definitely watching closely and it’s not a place I want to be after (four) games. It’s the biggest thing we didn’t want this year.”

Catenacci isn’t alone in the penalty parade; teammate Zach Nastasiuk is second with five minor penalties and seventh with 10 minutes in the box.
Overall, Owen Sound is second in the OHL with 81 minutes in penalties. And it’s proven costly for the Attack, who had not allowed an even-strength goal in the first three games.
Six of Owen Sound’s nine goals against this season have come on the power play. That’s a league high. Barrie also scored with their goalie pulled for the extra attacker and in a shootout.
“I think we just have to be more disciplined this year,” said Catenacci said.
“A lot of our penalties are because of laziness. We have to play in your face like we always do, but we obviously have to eliminate the penalties. It doesn’t benefit any team to take a lot of penalties.”
Coach Greg Ireland held a long meeting with his players on Friday to address the penalty issue. Eliminating trips to the box was a priority for Ireland this season and after four games, his players haven’t met his expectations.
“If you’re leading the league because you’re a physical, hard team and you’re knocking guys on their rear end, that’s one thing,” Ireland said. “We’re not doing that. They’re of the lazy variety. We’re not going to let that happen.
“We’re going to tackle this here and now and we’re going to bring it to the head.”
Ireland began sending the message on Thursday in a loss at Barrie, keeping players off the ice due to indifferent play or too many penalties.

“I might even adapt the Pat Burns style,” said Ireland. “Watch the first three shifts and if you’re going and going right, you’re going to play. The reward is the ice time.”
Nastasiuk, Keevin Cutting, and Cameron Brace with his third game-winner of the season, scored for the Attack (3-0-0-1, first in the Midwest) who still took too many penalties for the coach’s liking Friday. Guelph had seven power plays.
“We’re going to play a hard game and we’re going to take penalties through our tenacity but we want to minimize (the minors),” Ireland said.
“At the end of the day the penalty kill will bail you out when you deserve it. I thought the guys were scrappy and they stuck together and there was more desperation in their game (on Friday).”
Patrick Watling and Zach Leslie replied for the Storm (1-2-0-0, fifth in the Midwest).
“I thought we did some good things in the first but still we’re not going to go anywhere if we don’t get our guys playing the right way,” said Guelph coach Scott Walker.
“We’ll play those guys a lot who want to play. We’re playing like we can beat everyone instead of playing hard.
“For the last 10 (minutes of the third period), we played like ‘Oh my goodness, we’re going to lose. We better get going here’.”
Owen Sound goalie Jordan Binnington made 29 saves while Guelph’s Garret Sparks stopped 29 shots.

Old
09-30-2012, 09:45 AM
HLLYWD99

IRELAND IS PIZZED
OWEN SOUND - http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/201...sion-to-sarnia
One thing is certain after the Owen Sound Attack's 2-1 loss to Sarnia on Saturday.
The Ontario Hockey League team's next practice is going to be a doozy.
Any time your coaches uses the word "disgusting" to describe how his team plays, it's not going to be good.
"Over three games (on the weekend) we played maybe three periods," Attack coach Greg Ireland said on Saturday.
"We were lazy, selfish, not engaged. We don't look out for one another. We don't stick up for one another. For me what I saw (on Saturday) was disgusting. And disgusting for what I saw in periods in Guelph and Barrie."
What Ireland didn't see is the work ethic that he feels his team needs to be successful. That's why his players can expect what's commonly called a bag skate on Monday (as in the players will skate their ... well you get the picture).

"This is not good enough," said Ireland.
"Right now we're not working. We're not going to stand for it. We're not going to come to work and have people around us who aren't going to work and not give us an honest effort. That's going to change. If I can't get 60 minutes of work in a game, I'll get it in practice."
Ireland feels his squad is letting it's natural talent get in the way of it's work ethic. In short, his players think they're better than they really are.
"When you have Gretzky, Lemieux, Kurri, Messier, Crosby, Malkin in our lineup, it should work," said Ireland, rather sarcastically.
"We've got them here. Everyone is wondering where they are for the NHL lock out. They're right here in Owen Sound."
Two players Ireland did have praise were Brandon Hope and Nathan Chiarlitti, both of whom played for the Sting last season.
"I thought (Hope) battled his rear end off and I'm disappointed because ... he was left out to dry with no support and that really got to me, it really bothered me," said Ireland.
"Nathan had to battle. He was always on his heals. I thought he was a warrior. We didn't get that out of anyone. Our forwards were a softer group than I've seen."
Hope made 40 saves and was named the game's second star.
"I was looking forward to this for a long time ... it was a decent performance but it's disappointing for us not to get the win," said Hope who admitted to being a little antsy to start the game.
"I started off a little bit slow, fighting pucks. After that I settled into my game and did the things I had to do. It just sucks that we came out on the bottom end."
Keevin Cutting scored for the Attack (3-1-0-1, first in the Midwest).
"They came into our building hungry and desperate," said Ireland. "This is a building where we should be better in."
Charlie Sarault and Connor Murphy scored for the Sting (1-2-0-1, fourth in the West).
"The kids have played well and they haven't had any points to show it but (Saturday) was a real good effort by our team," said Sarnia coach/general manager Jacques Beaulieu who had nothing but praise for overage goalie JP Anderson who made 28 saves en route to being named the game's first star.
"He's been outstanding the entire pre-season and season so far. He's given us a chance to win."
These two teams meet again on Friday in Sarnia.
The Attack hosts the Guelph Storm on Saturday.
Game time at the Harry Lumley-Bayshore Community Centre is 7:30 p.m.

bill.walker@sunmedia.ca

Last edited by HLLYWD99: 09-30-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old
10-03-2012, 09:06 AM
HLLYWD99

NOW NOT SO PIZZED
http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/201...o-disappointed
Greg Ireland has calmed down.

He said Tuesday he wasn’t really disgusted with his Owen Sound Attack squad on the weekend, but the head coach said disappointment prompted him to use such a harsh word to describe the Ontario Hockey League team’s recent play.
“I was really disappointed in myself to use a word that I wouldn’t normally use with this team,” he said. “I was disappointed and disheartened in terms of some team things. And that’s not our group. We have a great group of young men here and I love this team, but I expect more.”
Ireland reacted Saturday to his team’s play on the weekend, culminating with a 2-1 loss to Sarnia that night.
“Of our nine periods (over three games) I thought we maybe worked hard for three-and-a-half,” Ireland said Tuesday. “We were in a position to get five or six points so I was disappointed in that.
“I was disappointed that we didn’t support a couple of our teammates playing their old team (former Sting Brandon Hope and Nathan Chiarlitti). And I was disappointed that in front of our fans that have been so good and so supportive that we didn’t bring a better effort.”
And he was disappointed his squad didn’t support teammate Kurtis MacDermid after his fight with Sarnia’s Joshua Chapman.
“When Kurtis came back after having a scrap, nobody tapped him (on the pads) to show support and that’s an unwritten thing in hockey,” said Ireland. “We didn’t show that respect. That was eating at me a little bit.”

And Ireland didn’t run an extra strenuous practice on Monday.
“We were going to work anyway,” said Ireland. “Was it a tough practice? Yeah, but we actually came to skate and to battle.”
The Attack is back in action on Friday when they visit the Sting. Owen Sound’s next home start is on Saturday when the Guelph Storm visit. Game time at the Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Centre is 7:30 p.m.

Old
10-10-2012, 07:53 AM
bidzey

the team thought they were better than what they really are, because of the 2 blow outs, first 2 games of the season. It's tough for the players too because Ireland is cracking down on discipline, and he should BIG TIME!! but then you gotta stick up for your teammates... and you do, it's hard to draw the line.

Old
10-28-2012, 02:56 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
I haven't been able to watch Owen Sound play yet, but a lot of people were surprised that Blandisi was drafted last season and was wondering if he has improve since last season, if so what areas? Also wondering if Avs were smart in drafting him because so far his stats are pretty solid.

Old
10-29-2012, 07:28 AM
HLLYWD99

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I haven't been able to watch Owen Sound play yet, but a lot of people were surprised that Blandisi was drafted last season and was wondering if he has improve since last season, if so what areas? Also wondering if Avs were smart in drafting him because so far his stats are pretty solid.
The kid is a speedster with decent hands and plays both ends of the ice very well, yes the AV'S were smart drafting him and he should only get better.

Old
10-31-2012, 10:10 AM
Crottenham

Sean Lafortune reporting via twitter that Attack 4th rounder Cam Hackett has committed to Cornell Big Red!

With 7th rounder Connor Murphy also seemingly pursuing NCAA, tough draft....

Old
11-01-2012, 10:06 PM
HLLYWD99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Sean Lafortune reporting via twitter that Attack 4th rounder Cam Hackett has committed to Cornell Big Red!

With 7th rounder Connor Murphy also seemingly pursuing NCAA, tough draft....
HMMM BUMMER BUMMER!

Old
11-04-2012, 01:07 PM
bidzey

I guess Owen Sound fans don't have much to complain about this year... so far... much MUCH better on the discipline this year, that alone will carry this team a lot further than last year.

I was expecting more out of London, maybe they'll wake up, not that they're doing terrible or anything but in my opinion are not playing to par... far from it.

Old
11-18-2012, 08:34 AM
bidzey

The refereeing in this league really sucks. I mean it's not just mediocre it's really really bad. Last year they actually GAVE a goal the a team. No pucks were even close to going in and they did this. The announcers a year later are still trying to figure it out!! I saw things in the OS/Kit game yesterday that just blew my mind.

The Kitchener goalie "cloth-lined" Smith while he wasn't even in the blue ice, referee right there looking at it, no call. Caused a brawl and OS targeted with an extra 2 minutes when Kitchener should've gotten all kinds of penalties that were not called in the brawl.

Again Kitchener goalie is behind the net reached out with his stick and trips the player referee right there looking at it, no call

Kitchener player decides to fight even when turned down by the other player who left his gloves on, punched him in the head and face at least 10 times... get a 2 minute minor for roughing.

OS defense clear the puck from their zone but a OS player knocks the puck down with his stick when it was over is head, clearly a high stick where the whistle should've blown, no whistle and a goal is scored on the play. (yes I'm not being bias, that was an OS goal that shouldn't have counted)

at least 7 times in the game the ref is in the way of a pass or a zone clearing, I know that things happen fast and this will happen without blaming anybody, but this was really consistent

often "non-calls" are a contribution to players getting frustrated and then bad things happen. Like being cloth-lined... it's a shot to the head, with the intention to hurt. No call, what do you think can happen afterwards? my point is... I think Branch should look at his referees if he's interested in a cleaner hockey league. He should give some of those guys 10 games!

Old
11-21-2012, 06:07 AM
bidzey

Attack Acquire Malone from Otters

The West Seneca, NY native is currently ranked 14th amongst U.S. skaters by NHL Central Scouting for the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:01 PM
BenchedGuy

Here is a little write up on former Attack Milan Doczy for anyone that is interested. Albeit breif, thought it was good to hear.

http://www.therecord.com/sports/univ...versity-hockey

Old
11-27-2012, 02:46 PM
bidzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
Here is a little write up on former Attack Milan Doczy for anyone that is interested. Albeit breif, thought it was good to hear.

http://www.therecord.com/sports/univ...versity-hockey
"The CHL changed it's policies recently"

... that's good, European players should get the same treatment. Also this would make a CHLPA existence even less justified... as in my personal opinion are just a bunch of no good self serving money grabbers, obviously not caring about the potentialy major destruction their practices can have on young kids' dreams.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:02 PM
aresknights

Good to hear hes getting his education and is happy.

Seems to have worked out well in this case.

Old
12-02-2012, 09:40 AM
bidzey

I was in SSM yesterday to watch the Greyhounds' game, Catanacci and Brace got 2 points each in a 2-1 final as they were playing awesome. Both goalies were standing on their heads which is why the score was a low affair. There was 4 stars to chose from for the 3 stars to pick. One of them had to get burned. Instead they chose Nurse to be 2nd star, and both goalies. Nurse was playing really good I admit, but I don't understand. Anybody else seen this game? if so, can you explain that to me.

Closed Thread