HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Lockout discussion thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2012, 03:47 PM
domdo345

vCash: 500
I don't know why people say 1 year reduced of Gomez salary...the year of salary will be lost either way so we might as well get hockey with it.

Old
09-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Lock-out takes away a year off every contract. All players on one year contracts or the final year of a multi-year deal will become RFA/UFA. It sucks, they have to find a new contract and on top of that, did not get paid the previous year.
That is actually not 100% true. Whether or not the contracts age is a product of the new CBA. In all likelihood they will age but it is possible that they will be frozen.

Old
09-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
I don't know why people say 1 year reduced of Gomez salary...the year of salary will be lost either way so we might as well get hockey with it.
Trying to find a glimmer of anything positive in the giant pile of manure that is this lockout I suppose.

Old
09-20-2012, 04:14 PM
GoHomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
So Shea Weber is losing 14 million, and Parise and Sutter, 12 million each... OUCH !

On the other hand, we would have one LESS year of Gomez ...
Shea Weber will get a signing bonus up until the sixth year of his current contract. Does that mean he actually has to go sign the contract again, six times?

The average NHL carreer is five years I believe. BTW

Old
09-20-2012, 05:10 PM
EveryDay

Plekanec has 1g 1a today in his first game!

http://www.rds.ca/

Highlight include.

Old
09-20-2012, 05:50 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
That is actually not 100% true. Whether or not the contracts age is a product of the new CBA. In all likelihood they will age but it is possible that they will be frozen.
That depends if the lockout came with a pre-agreement that contracts would be frozen. If not, money lost.

Old
09-20-2012, 06:00 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Lock-out takes away a year off every contract. All players on one year contracts or the final year of a multi-year deal will become RFA/UFA. It sucks, they have to find a new contract and on top of that, did not get paid the previous year.
It's an interesting situation. Especially given all of the front-loaded contracts that have been signed of late. Some vested interest here from the owners.

Old
09-20-2012, 08:45 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Mike Modano says the last lockout wasn't worth it...the PA lost too much, and they will lose again...article is on Sportsnet...

Says they should just negotiate...
Which is why I said what I did earlier. I am sure that a lot of the OLD (30 +) players are unhappy as hell with Fehr. However, they are keeping silent as they know what happens to snitches.

Modano is not playing any longer so he is able to speak his mind freely.

So, time for another......................**** you Donald Fehr, you piece of ****.

Old
09-20-2012, 09:01 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Very unlikely to happen. Remember, a player isn't signed to a "5 year contract", they sign a contract through to "2017-18". I highly doubt the owners agree to keep all of their players a year longer than expected.

Old
09-20-2012, 09:47 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Very unlikely to happen. Remember, a player isn't signed to a "5 year contract", they sign a contract through to "2017-18". I highly doubt the owners agree to keep all of their players a year longer than expected.
Does it mean that a rfa player like Subban will become a ufa next July?

Old
09-20-2012, 10:01 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
That depends if the lockout came with a pre-agreement that contracts would be frozen. If not, money lost.
Are you sure? I thought it would be something included in the transition rules. It is generally beneficial to both sides to have the contracts age, because players become free agents and gain service time, and for the owners they avoid a year of paying bad contracts. I do think freezing the contracts would be unlikely, but it could happen.

Old
09-20-2012, 10:02 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Does it mean that a rfa player like Subban will become a ufa next July?
Not likely. It would all depend on the changes, if any, are made to unrestricted free agency eligibility.

Old
09-21-2012, 12:35 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Except Weber (and maybe Parise I'm not sure) I believe got a 13 million signing bonus that is payed regardless and would not be affected by CBA salary rollbacks. So I'm sure he's not scavenging for food or anything just yet.

With 13 million already in his pocket, Shea Weber could sit on his butt and do nothing for the rest of life.

Old
09-21-2012, 01:36 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
any news if patches, price or subban (or even desharnais) will join a european league?

Old
09-21-2012, 02:44 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

This lockout is truly the most horrible, short-sighted move Bettman's done.

You can't demand that the players roll-back their salary when the owners agreed to sign them to such huge deal AND that they all fit under the salary cap that the owners placed. If I make 10$/hr or 150$/hr, I'm going to be massively peeved if I'm doing all the real work in the organization and some day the boss comes in and says that I should roll-back my legally attained salary by say hmm 24%.

Lock contract lengths, lock the cap - extend the CBA another year and lets play some fn hockey.

Old
09-21-2012, 07:52 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post

You can't demand that the players roll-back their salary when the owners agreed to sign them to such huge deal AND that they all fit under the salary cap that the owners placed. If I make 10$/hr or 150$/hr, I'm going to be massively peeved if I'm doing all the real work in the organization and some day the boss comes in and says that I should roll-back my legally attained salary by say hmm 24%.

Lock contract lengths, lock the cap - extend the CBA another year and lets play some fn hockey.
Is he even asking for a roll-back in salaries? All I've heard is they will rollback cap-hits for the salary cap, not reduce the amount of dollars the players are making.

The whole dispute here is HRR split. Owners want 50/50, players don't. Owners are trying to tell the players that their definition of HRR growth is wrong because we cannot reasonably assume that the 7 percent increase is going to continue.

Old
09-21-2012, 08:28 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post

The owners shot themselves in the foot this summer, with those crazy deals...Parise/Suter come to mind....it reeks of speaking out of both sides of your mouth...kinda like some of the players playing for peanuts in Europe, to just cover insurance etc but not wanting to play for mega millions over here, at a 9% reduction...both sides need a kick in the ar$e...They should fire Bettman and Fehr, and get a deal done...

Old
09-21-2012, 08:29 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
With 13 million already in his pocket, Shea Weber could sit on his butt and do nothing for the rest of life.
Until his wife/girlfriend spends it all, and says go out and make some more...

Old
09-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Easily. Most people won't earn a tenth of that in their lifetime.

Old
09-21-2012, 10:06 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
No offense, waffledave, but don't you work in accounting or money management of some kind? While you're correct in factoring in taxes and all other expenses, you seem to (wilfully?) neglect mentioning investments. We don't even need to be talking $15m in the bank here (which you probably accurately guess is the higher end NHL players who have that much in the bank) ... let's talk $3m. That's an amount that the average NHLer can store away in the bank. And that amount would be sufficient to pull out $135k a year without touching the $3m itself through investments (assuming an average dividend yield of 4.5%). $135k a year as a base salary when the NHLer could become a high school junior coach, college coach, or any other simple job with an average salary is pretty decent. After all, if the player in question wishes to make more, he's got enough base salary per year to support his family well, and go to university.
No safe investment returns more than 1% these days. You can thank the US FED for that .

Old
09-21-2012, 10:21 AM
bsl

Quote:
Mike Modano says the last lockout wasn't worth it...the PA lost too much, and they will lose again...article is on Sportsnet...

Says they should just negotiate...
Modano is right. I've said it here before: Fehr should ask the players if they are willing to lose 2 years. If they are not, they should make a deal right now. Because the owners are well happy to lose a year, but 2? Not likely.

Molson will not tolerate 2 years lost for example. And he's not alone. If Fehr guaranteed him that the players will sit for 2, he'll act, now.

Bet on it.

If the players say yes to losing 2 years, Fehr could go to the owners, tell them that, and have a deal in a week.

I'm shocked at Fehr so far. I am increasingly worried about him. I expected him to be much smarter than Goodenow, who made exactly this mistake, not asking the players early on to decide on how long they could sit out.

Fehr is dealing from weakness. He either strengthens his hand by having his players agree to 2 years out, or he makes the best deal he can, now. He must know he's dealing from weakness. It scares me to think he does not, or that he won't tell his players that fact.

I expected Fehr to ask his players how much time they are willing to lose, and deal on that basis. If they lose a year, and sign a sh-it deal, it's on him.

He has to ask the players what they are willing to lose. If he does not, then he's either an idiot, or dishonest with his own constituents, or both.

Fehr is worrying me. A lot. It is completely up to him. I hope he's not an idiot, or we lose a year for nothing, and another one in 5 years.

Last edited by bsl: 09-21-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old
09-21-2012, 10:47 AM
bsl

Quote:
Until his wife/girlfriend spends it all, and says go out and make some more...
I'm also married.

Old
09-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
No safe investment returns more than 1% these days. You can thank the US FED for that .
What are you talking about? That's just not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Easily. Most people won't earn a tenth of that in their lifetime.
Not to be pedantic, but this is also not true.

Old
09-21-2012, 12:11 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
No offense, waffledave, but don't you work in accounting or money management of some kind? While you're correct in factoring in taxes and all other expenses, you seem to (wilfully?) neglect mentioning investments. We don't even need to be talking $15m in the bank here (which you probably accurately guess is the higher end NHL players who have that much in the bank) ... let's talk $3m. That's an amount that the average NHLer can store away in the bank. And that amount would be sufficient to pull out $135k a year without touching the $3m itself through investments (assuming an average dividend yield of 4.5%). $135k a year as a base salary when the NHLer could become a high school junior coach, college coach, or any other simple job with an average salary is pretty decent. After all, if the player in question wishes to make more, he's got enough base salary per year to support his family well, and go to university.
I do, and I left it out to simplify things. I also left it out because realistically any safe investment will not produce enough money to support their lifestyle without starting to dig into capital. And if they have to start digging into capital, the return on something open and low risk is too low at the moment to even make a difference.

It's also besides the point. My entire argument is that there is nothing wrong with an NHL player wanting to maximize the few income earning years that they will have in their careers. Anyone would do that same, including every single person on this forum.

waffledave
Old
09-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Jigger77

Quote:

Not to be pedantic, but this is also not true.
How is that not true?

Closed Thread