HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Trades with 20/20 (Blake, Deadmarsh)

Old
09-11-2012, 01:47 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Trades with 20/20 (Blake, Deadmarsh)

Rules of the discussion!

For sake of argument, let's look only at the players involved themselves, not at what they were later traded for. Future trades are independent of the actual trade itself and, unless it was a three way type of deal, did not factor into the trade directly. Only future contributions of the players involved should be given value.

Today's trade is...

2001-Feb-21 Rob Blake and Steven Reinprecht traded to the Colorado Avalanche for Adam Deadmarsh, Aaron Miller, Jared Aulin and round 1 pick in the 2001 draft (Dave Steckel) **I believe LA also got a conditional 1st after Rob Blake resigned with Colorado. The pick, I believe was 2003 and was Brian Boyle. If someone can confirm this, I'd appreciate it**

Here are the players links for statistical comparision:
Rob Blake: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=415
Steven Reinprecht: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=30799
Adam Deadmarsh: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=1301
Aaron Miller: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=3719
Jared Aulin: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=31167
David Steckel: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=54471
Brian Boyle: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=72656

My own personal thoughts: At the time of the trade, I remember thinking we won this deal by a landslide. We traded a UFA to be and a depth player for five assets, two of which were NHL regulars (Deadmarsh and Miller) with Deadmarsh being a legitimate 30 goal guy. To me, to this day, this deal is the ultimate return on a rental.

That said, it didn't really pan out that way. Due to injuries, Deadmarsh managed to only play another 114 NHL games, all for LA, contributing 46 goals and 85 points. As enduring as he has been to the Kings faithful despite such a sort stint, his loss due to injury tilts the value of this deal significantly.

That's largely because the rest of the return package wasn't great. Miller was a steady second pairing defenseman for us and would be similar to a less aggressive Matt Greene today. Solid for sure, but for a guy like Blake, not enough. Boyle and Steckel have amounted largely to 3rd/4th liners and are failed attempts by Dave Taylor to land a big bodied pivot to centre the top two lines. Both have carved out careers as NHLers, but nether appears to have the offensive upside to amount to anything other than journeyman careers. Aulin meanwhile played 17 games for the Kings one year after the trade, and that was it for his NHL career. Essentially, Boyle, Steckel and Aulin contributed very little or nothing at all as members of the Kings organization/prospect list.

Reinprecht surprised me by carving out a career as a 2nd/3rd line-tweener withmultiple 40+ point seasons. He was a useful player for another 8+ seasons after the trade. Blake meanwhile would have eight more seasons as a top-4 defenseman, scoring double digits in goals in six of those years. Both Reinprecht and Blake were part of the Avalanche's cup title in 2001.

Overall: Colorado wins the deal, mainly due to Deadmarsh's injury-induced retirement.

From just a Kings standpoint: Colorado wins hands down. They got a Stanley Cup and several years of a very good Rob Blake, we got a year and a half of Deadmarsh, several years of Aaron Miller and some depth from Brian Boyle.

**Note** Even though I think in the end we lost this deal, I'd defend Dave Taylor to the bone on it. At the time, it looked like a massive win for the Kings, especially after Deadmarsh and Miller helped us get into the playoffs and almost knock Colorado out of the playoffs in 2001, and again the following year. It was a great trade which a very unfortunate injury and a waste of assets at the draft table/post-draft development ruined.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 02:38 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Your are correct on Boyle being the pick from the Blake trade. Tambellini was from the Schneider trade for Kuznetsov and Avery...

As far as looking at this trade?

[MOD EDIT=Disallowed picture; Mind=Blown would be jist of it]

Sums up my feelings nicely.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 09-12-2012 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Disallowed picture
tigermask48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I felt that Blake became the better player in Colorado because the focus wasn't solely on him when he went to a star studded team. The Avalanche became a dominant and feared team (as if they weren't already) after acquiring Blake.

I thought the Kings did very well considering the tough position they were in with an impending free agent. Loved Deadmarsh, one of my all-time favorites despite a short lived stint. Miller was better than anticipated and fit in as a middle pairing dman. What disappointed me was what the Kings ended up with in Aulin, a 1st that turned to Steckel and another 1st that turned into Boyle.

The trade did improve the Kings who were struggling before the trade went down. After acquiring Deadmarsh and Miller (and also acquiring Potvin from Vancouver), they made a strong push and were one of the hottest teams in the league entering the playoffs. Thanks to the trade, we have the great memory of the Kings upsetting the Wings in 6 in 2001 and the Kings pushed the eventual Stanley Cup champs to 7 games. Although the Avs smoked them in the deciding game, Deadmarsh brought something to the team that was lacking: HEART.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 07:15 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

The Blake trade was Dave Taylor's shining moment as GM of the Kings.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 08:52 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

I think you're right Ziggy. Overall, I think that Miller and Reinprecht equal out (slight edge to Miller maybe) but even with Deader's retirement, if even one of those first's or Aulin pans out as a legitimate top six forward, we at least break even on this deal. The fact one was a bust (Aulin) and the other two are essentially 4th liners really does a lot of damage to what should have been our foundation to rebuild on.

Old
09-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Jared Aulin got to bang Paris Hilton right?

That's all I got.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 11:07 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Miller was a better defencive dman than Greene is today and I think was a very solid pick up for us.

Aulin wasn't a bust at all but a victim of the injury bug as was Deader.

I see this deal as a very good one for the Kings but one of those deals that didn't pan out more because of circumstances then the actual value of the return.

If Aulin doesn't turn to china he was well on his way to becoming a solid NHLer and Deader was the man no doubt but the injury bug took him down as well.

Both Boyle and Steckel have had solid NHL careers to date but neither of them have become top 6ers as projected (though I think we had a hand in BB's development being stunted in a way).

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
The Blake trade was Dave Taylor's shining moment as GM of the Kings.
2005 Draft?

Drafting two superstars without the luxury of a Top 10 pick is pretty impressive.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 03:45 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

I still feel that we won this trade. I think the Avs would have had an even easier path in the playoffs with the players they had.

Plus its simple, Blake wanted out of LA and Adam Deamarsh is the epitome of an NHL hockey player. Don't care if he only played one game here, we still got to see him in a Kings uniform.

God, I'd love to see Deader in his prime on this current Kings team. Holy cow would we have a monster.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 03:54 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Kings Drummer View Post
God, I'd love to see Deader in his prime on this current Kings team. Holy cow would we have a monster.
This. Absolutely.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 01:25 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
2005 Draft?

Drafting two superstars without the luxury of a Top 10 pick is pretty impressive.
I think that's more Al Murray's crowning moment.

Old
09-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I think that's more Al Murray's crowning moment.
If we throw blame on the GM's for bust picks like Tukonen, Karlsson, Steckel, Teubert, Hickey etc. we better give them credit for drafting two superstars like Kopitar and Quick.

The 2005 draft was one of the significant moments in LA Kings history.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 04:29 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
If we throw blame on the GM's for bust picks like Tukonen, Karlsson, Steckel, Teubert, Hickey etc. we better give them credit for drafting two superstars like Kopitar and Quick.

The 2005 draft was one of the significant moments in LA Kings history.
Agreed, not trying to take it all away from DT. That said, Taylor MAY have had input on Kopitar, that's it. He likely knew as much about Quick as we did when his name was called. Hard to say that's his shining moment. I think the Blake trade was his true shining moment and the only reason it didn't pan out like that is injuries to Deader and some misguided direction at the draft table (focused to much on getting that big-bodied centre).

Old
09-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Johnny Utah

We had 5 1/4 seasons of Aaron Miller. It would have nice to have Deader for more than 1 full season and parts of two...Colorado had Blake for about 4 1/4 seasons.

Colorado won the deal. Reinprecht even had two solid years as an Av and they both won the Cup. Aulin or Boyle never really played a full seaon in LA.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 10:43 AM
spudboy

The trade should have been better, had DT and the scouting staff picked better prospects, and drafted better.

spudboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 04:22 PM
yankeeking

IMO , the Avs won the trade for the same reason we won the Carter trade,they won the cup,plain and simple..........how many times have we said we would do what the hawks did too win even if it meant going back to rebuild if we could get that one CUP, even if JJ turns into Bobby freaking Orr and that pick becomes Espo we will have the summer of 2012 to relive over and over again, we won this trade and the Av's won that one

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Perro

Deadmasrsh - Allison - Palffy was an un-real line.....when they were healthy.
Even with Deadmarsh's injuries and the Avs cup win I still think this was a fair deal as Blake was headed out of town anyway.
To the person who compared it to us getting Carter it differs because Carter is locked up for years to come.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 04:52 PM
yankeeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
Deadmasrsh - Allison - Palffy was an un-real line.....when they were healthy.
Even with Deadmarsh's injuries and the Avs cup win I still think this was a fair deal as Blake was headed out of town anyway.
To the person who compared it to us getting Carter it differs because Carter is locked up for years to come.
not comparing this to the carter trade but the results are the same if you win a cup especially after 45 years you win whatever it took to get there, and the trade then was completely fair and we came away with a great result for a UFA and completely selfish player who was never the team guy as was exampled when he refused to waive the NTC for a couple months in san jose

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 01:23 PM
no name

Deader gave the kings one good year and three years worth of bills and roster spot. Great guy, leader and very good player but I think he probably can't climb the pedestal some of us have put him on.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote