HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Antivirus software

Old
02-13-2012, 06:08 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
How the hell do I get rid of Yontoo? Adaware keeps finding it yet it won't remove it.
Try safe mode.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:45 AM
Baarle*
Lähme looduses

Figured this would be the best place to ask. I have an asus laptop, only a few months old. My main program is ms essentials, and I run that weekly, which rarely finds anything. Lately, the laptop will freeze up randomly, forcing me to restart it. Any idea what I could do to prevent this?

Baarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:18 AM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

Hey guys, last night I was on my computer not really doing anything when I noticed a popup at the bottom of my screen from my Toshiba Service Station. It told me that I had something to update. I clicked on it and it opened the update, asking me would you like to download it. So I didnt really read it but I clicked OK. Turns out the software was called InsydeFlash, and ever since updating it I cant do anything on my computer really. Ive been able to open small things like my documents, but once I try to open Firefox/Safari/Explorer, it freezes up. I know this is a virus and Ive gone into safe mode, and the whole 9 yards but I cannot find it anywhere. I was able to run this old piece of AVG which I wasnt even aware was still on my computer and it said there werent any problems. What should I do?

Michael Gary Scott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:58 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
Hey guys, last night I was on my computer not really doing anything when I noticed a popup at the bottom of my screen from my Toshiba Service Station. It told me that I had something to update. I clicked on it and it opened the update, asking me would you like to download it. So I didnt really read it but I clicked OK. Turns out the software was called InsydeFlash, and ever since updating it I cant do anything on my computer really. Ive been able to open small things like my documents, but once I try to open Firefox/Safari/Explorer, it freezes up. I know this is a virus and Ive gone into safe mode, and the whole 9 yards but I cannot find it anywhere. I was able to run this old piece of AVG which I wasnt even aware was still on my computer and it said there werent any problems. What should I do?
Try doing a system restore.

Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
Try doing a system restore.

Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore
Tried that last night, didnt really help. Think it might have something to do with firefox because now I can load safari fine, but once i click on firefox it freezes everything up. Hm...

Michael Gary Scott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 04:17 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
Tried that last night, didnt really help. Think it might have something to do with firefox because now I can load safari fine, but once i click on firefox it freezes everything up. Hm...
Try uninstalling then installing firefox again.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Smoke
Time is the flaw

My 60 day trial of Norton Internet Security(yuck) ended today. I will give Symantec props, it did not slow my computer to a crawl like past versions have. I am running a more powerful machine though, so that could be it.

Right now I am going to try the 30 day trial of ESET Smart Security 5. Anything I should be aware of with this?

Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I think I got a virus of sorts. Any moved thread has a symbol of a man with a receding hair line. Facebook pictures are all of different people and sites don't seem like they normally do.

I'm lazy and don't want to go out, so is there an easier way to get rid of this ? Just happened yesterday, or today.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Safe mode - purge virus - reboot

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:54 AM
Dawdler
Pearson for Calder!!

this is what I'm using for friends at the moment

Avast
Malwarebytes
Superantispyware
Ccleaner
Hitman Pro (has a trial that will clean out your system for 30 days)
Prevx (not free but it will scan your computer for known issues, I use it to doublecheck Hitman Pro's scanning, and it has shown that Hitman Pro works.)
and rkill it will kill running malware so that you can wipe it out with Hitman Pro.

Dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Any Spybot users that get this many items found for every scan (well, after a long day of internet using)?

They're all tracking cookies and I'm not sure how much damage they do to your computer.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 03:40 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

As long as you have a legit version of Windows 7, you'll never any other virus scanner than MSSE.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 03:51 PM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

AVG Free is the best unless you have the Professional one which is paid

The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Protest the Hero

Is there anyway to stop family members from installing a billion toolbars?

Anyway, I'm not sure what started it, it could've been the last toolbar I deleted, but Microsoft Security Essentials won't turn on anymore, and after searching it seems to have something to do with some adware/spyware that shuts off automatic update. I've searched for solutions, but everything just ends up at a tech message board where they walk them through step by step.

Is there anyway to fix it without getting specialized instructions, I don't really want to have to go through that again. It doesn't really bother me, but if there's a relatively easy way to fix it I'd be happy to know.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:04 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Is there anyway to stop family members from installing a billion toolbars?
You could completely neuter their account with GPE or the registry, but then they'll be coming to you every 10 seconds for help trying to get things to work. I personally just let them succeed/fail on their own then fix it later. I'd suggest using some sort of imaging program if its a seriously common occurrence.

Old
09-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

No one runs Linux?

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 07:28 PM
FrizzleFry22
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
No one runs Linux?

I did but just got a new computer and decided to stick with the virus that is Windows for awhile. I tried to run Wubi but for some reason it wont work and dont want to partition by myself because it is a hybrid laptop.

For everyone else

I have McAfee pre installed and it is about to run out. I used to just go Free Trial to free trial but figure I might as well buy one now.

I am looking at McAfee (since it is already installed and I like it) or BitDefender any suggestions ? From the little research I have done BitDefender seems to be more effective but I don't know much about it.

FrizzleFry22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrizzleFry22 View Post
I did but just got a new computer and decided to stick with the virus that is Windows for awhile. I tried to run Wubi but for some reason it wont work and dont want to partition by myself because it is a hybrid laptop.

For everyone else

I have McAfee pre installed and it is about to run out. I used to just go Free Trial to free trial but figure I might as well buy one now.

I am looking at McAfee (since it is already installed and I like it) or BitDefender any suggestions ? From the little research I have done BitDefender seems to be more effective but I don't know much about it.
I really don't think there's any reason to pay for security software. AntiVirus software won't stop them from installing, and viruses usually just hide from, or disable your software once it's on there.

I think the most important part is AdWare and Spyware removal programs, and making sure you pay attention to whatever you're downloading of course.

I'd just download Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, it's from Microsoft, and it's well reviewed.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 08:32 PM
FrizzleFry22
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
I really don't think there's any reason to pay for security software. AntiVirus software won't stop them from installing, and viruses usually just hide from, or disable your software once it's on there.

I think the most important part is AdWare and Spyware removal programs, and making sure you pay attention to whatever you're downloading of course.

I'd just download Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, it's from Microsoft, and it's well reviewed.
I had heard good things about MSE but about a week after getting it on my old computer I got the Win 7 virus and was unable to get rid of it after going about 2 years without any problems running the free Nortan.

I know no Anti Virus will solve all problems. But after losing my previous computers Window's to a virus I figure 50 bucks a year is not that bad.

Old
09-08-2012, 11:52 PM
invictus

I get to be the "IT guy" at the charity I work at for our new community computer lab, lol. We get the new computers delivered Tuesday. Would it work to just download Microsoft Security Essentials and something like Malwarebytes and Spybot and run the latter once a month or so and call it good?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 05:02 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

So, I got McAfee. It sucks. It says my laptop is fine, when it's slow as **** and freezes up for moments.

What's an alternative to that piece of crap ? Other than drop kicking my laptop and shelling out a couple hundred bucks for a new one ?

My lappy actually ran faster before i installed McAfee...

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 05:11 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
So, I got McAfee. It sucks. It says my laptop is fine, when it's slow as **** and freezes up for moments.

What's an alternative to that piece of crap ? Other than drop kicking my laptop and shelling out a couple hundred bucks for a new one ?

HAHA, that's pretty common. Mcafee could be corrupted or missing the viruses/malware entirely. Or your computer is freezing and slow as **** for another reason. Can't say for certain.

I would suggest uninstalling mcafee, then go into safemode with networking, and do a scan with malwarebytes. Then after that install Microsoft security essentials, Avast, AVG or Avira. Those are free. MSE has the lightest load on the system in my experience.

Old
10-03-2012, 12:45 AM
FrizzleFry22
HFBoards Sponsor

I bought Bitdefender and after 1 week requested and have been granted my money back. Every time I restarted my laptop the program would crash and cause me to restart again after repairs. If I didn't have an SSD I would have waste hours restarting. The customer service was nice but didn't really help. And I couldn't completely get rid of it from my computer so I had to do factory restore. All in all I will be going for Free Anti viruses from now on. Better yet I will just try not to be an idiot when browsing/ downloading / opening emails.

/rant

Old
10-04-2012, 02:43 PM
bostone737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

Get rid of it. Applications like McAfee, Norton, and even Kaspersky are a waste of money. They slow down your computer and really are not any more effective than some of the free versions available. Disable windows firewall, go get Avast Free anti-virus along with Comodo Free Firewall and you will be fine. Avast is the best free anti-virus I have ever used and Comodo firewall is super effective, also, both are very 'lite' applications, you wont even know they are running.

bostone737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

My avast is going crazy with alerts in the corner of my screen, I run it and it says my system is fine...what gives?

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote