HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Official 2012 Coyotes Off-Season Thread (part 2)

Old
09-03-2012, 04:59 PM
PHX FireBirds18

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
I have a feeling that guy will be Domingue. Long path though.
He hasn't had the same top level tournament exposure as Visentin, but he's always out practiced him every time I've seen them play in various rookie camps.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 12:04 PM
SweYote

I thought this was pretty funny and maybe someone finds it interesting. (I don't like the decision though, since I would have at least been able to watch OEL and Boedker live on a regular basis in case of a lockout.)

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle15385239.ab

Quote:
At first the SEL said no to short term deals for NHL players - and now the second division takes after.
But the decision is criticized severely by Tingsryd's coach.
- We will let Oliver Ekman-Larsson play. In that case, they will have to sue us, says coach Petter Nilsson.

During today's meeting the league's CEO made the announcement that puts an end to the expected parade of NHL stars. The board has said no to short-term contracts.
But it was not a unanimous decision.
- Some clubs want a limited right to take in NHL pros, says league president Stefan Bengtsson.

No Kronwall or Grossman
The clubs that wanted NHL players was according to Nyheter24 Södertälje, Mora, Västerås, Djurgården and Tingsryd.
- We have a player who has been training with us all summer and want to come home and play for free. If he does not get to play, it's a scandal, says Petter Nilsson, coach for Tingsryd and former star defenseman in Luleå.
- Oliver Ekman-Larsson (Phoenix defenseman) would be an attraction that would increase interest for the entire league. I don't see how you can deny a guy like that.
This decision also stops Douglas Murray, Nicklas Grossman, Jonathan Ericsson, Niklas Kronwall and Jhonas Enroth, all scheduled to play for their home clubs.
NHL's current collective bargaining agreement with the NHLPA is set to expire September 15th and everything indicates that there will be a lockout.

SweYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

vCash: 1329
Roster projections, Q&A with Maloney and players return to the Valley

Quote:
Sullivan-Hanzal-Vrbata
Boedker-Vermette-Doan
Korpikoski-Gordon-Moss
Torres-Chipchura-Johnson
Ekman-Larsson-Michalek
Yandle-Morris
TBD-Klesla
Smith
LaBarbera
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blo...cLellan/171246

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 04:20 PM
DesertDawg

...sounds as though Maloney is expecting a trade! Perhaps in anticipation of the CBA and the cap. Also he doesn't expect to sign any free agents before the CBA is finalized (other than Doan). He may sign some after an amnesty buy out, which is why he mention the CBA.

I'm having a hard time believing the owners would think about a lock out! They just had one so the NHLPA would agree to a salary cap, now the NHLPA have made concessions and the owners are looking greedy and insensitive to the fans. Kinda pathetic that both sides didn't work through the weekend to conclude the negotiations. As a fan, I am perplexed at the lack of motivation to get the deal done in a timely fashion. It's like both sides rather call each other's bluff while the fan, who actually makes the league possible, sits idly. This kills the smaller market as much as the lack of fielding a competitive team. So both sides rather play poker than get a deal done, kinda pathetic, from this fan's perspective!!!

well I'm finish with my rant. They will probably get the deal done before the season starts anyways.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Ted Mosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
Roster projections, Q&A with Maloney and players return to the Valley

Sullivan-Hanzal-Vrbata
Boedker-Vermette-Doan
Korpikoski-Gordon-Moss
Torres-Chipchura-Johnson
Ekman-Larsson-Michalek
Yandle-Morris
TBD-Klesla
Smith
LaBarbera
I really like the looks of that roster, especially the D. Obviously if we could add one more guy up front (Connolly?) that would be great as well.

Unlikely, but I'd love to dump LaBarbera for a more reliable backup who get us some points so we don't have to run Smith for 70 games.

Ted Mosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 11:58 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
...sounds as though Maloney is expecting a trade! Perhaps in anticipation of the CBA and the cap. Also he doesn't expect to sign any free agents before the CBA is finalized (other than Doan). He may sign some after an amnesty buy out, which is why he mention the CBA.

I'm having a hard time believing the owners would think about a lock out! They just had one so the NHLPA would agree to a salary cap, now the NHLPA have made concessions and the owners are looking greedy and insensitive to the fans. Kinda pathetic that both sides didn't work through the weekend to conclude the negotiations. As a fan, I am perplexed at the lack of motivation to get the deal done in a timely fashion. It's like both sides rather call each other's bluff while the fan, who actually makes the league possible, sits idly. This kills the smaller market as much as the lack of fielding a competitive team. So both sides rather play poker than get a deal done, kinda pathetic, from this fan's perspective!!!

well I'm finish with my rant. They will probably get the deal done before the season starts anyways.
Probably our only good shot at getting some offense is if there are buyouts. They can't all be stupid enough to lose ANOTHER season can they? Nobody came out ahead after the last one.

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 12:16 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
They can't all be stupid enough to lose ANOTHER season can they? Nobody came out ahead after the last one.
Last CBA negotiations the owners locked out the players to get an edge. The current CBA (which expires at the end of next week) proved to be an eventual failure if you consider the fact that only 11 teams reported a profit and now they are playing the same game! Repeating the same scenario is insane.

So the owners locked out the players to implement a CBA to eventually fail. And now they are threatening to do it again?

Old
09-06-2012, 10:33 PM
diceone

This popped up on my Google News feed... HAHAHA

Quote:
Phoenix Coyotes Keith Yandle interested in playing for Boston Bruins -NHL Update

Losing players seems to have become a custom for the Phoenix Coyotes this offseason as Ray Whitney already left to join Dallas Stars, captain Shane Doan is contemplating a move and now, Keith Yandle has also reportedly disclosed his feelings about playing for the Boston Bruins.

In a number of reports, the Phoenix Coyotes offensive defender, who faced a history making 25-game ban during the postseason for knocking Chicago Blackhawks’ Marian Hossa out cold, has known insiders know that he would “love” to play for the Boston Bruin if given the chance.

There has been no official indication from the Boston Bruins or Phoenix Coyotes in wanting to initiate a trade for the power defenseman, but it seems like speculations that arose previously could finally become reality as analysts expect one soon between the two teams.

It was CSNNE.com's Danny Picard who broke the news about the statement made by Keith Yandle as he added via social media networking website, Twitter,

"Also hearing that the #Bruins are actively shopping for a top pair d-man to partner up with Chara. Interested in Yandle and Bouwmeester."

Yandle, a 25-year-old from Boston, Massachusetts, would obviously like to play for the Bruins due to them being situated in his hometown. In 365 games played so for, all for the Phoenix Coyotes, Yandle has picked up 187 points (43 goals, 144 assist) along with 223 minutes in the penalty box.

There are also reports about Boston wanting someone to pair up with captain, Zdeno Chara, and for them, it just might be the perfect moment and calling as Tim Thomas will not be in the net for the upcoming season and boosting the defence is certainly a need to test Tuukka Rusk.

Yandle was drafted as the 105th overall prospect back in round-four of the 2005 NHL Entry Draft by the Phoenix Coyotes and has been loyal to them ever since. He is still on contract with the team till July of 2016 with a five-year, $26.25 million contract and might just have Boston Bruins try and pick him up in the upcoming days.

Updates should be expected soon, but not before a regular season is confirmed.

http://blogs.bettor.com/Phoenix-Coyo...Update-a185758

Wow, people are really reaching for stories now, aren't they?

diceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

Dang that is funny, well maybe my memory is fading, I remembered that game differently.

Old
09-06-2012, 10:44 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

The grammar in that "piece" is truly something to behold. Talk about crap. It's like they farmed out their content to the Philippines.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 01:45 PM
DesertDawg

...and people thought it was Torres! That's how fast Yandle is on the ice, they couldn't catch it on replay...

So I guess the Coyotes will get Bergeron and Peverley then!

Old
09-09-2012, 12:56 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

So barring some miracle that sees the City of Glendale work at comparatively break neck speeds to pull off some buzzer beater of a sale in the next four business days, it looks like Shane Doan is gone.

Seriously, what are the odds that Greg Jamison owns this team free and clear by Friday? One in fifty?

Sullivan-Hanzal-Vrbata
Korpikoski-Vermette-Boedker
Torres-Gordon-Moss
Bissonnette-Chipchura-Johnson

...pretty bleak. With our blueline, goaltending, and coaching we are guaranteed not to pick in the top ten and we might even be able to drag that forward group to ninety something points. Maybe.

Pretty difficult to come back from losing both Doan and Whitney for nothing. We will HAVE to make a pretty big acquisition due to the cap floor (even if it comes down significantly, we aren't paying any forwards any money).

If there are amnesty buy outs then Horcoff and Gomez likely become available as UFAs. If the cap drops significantly than Lombardi and Connolly can probably be had for a 7th.

Yandle will be captain and we aren't moving him. I'd really, really hate to see us move either Gormley or Rundblad. I think it'd be a HUGE mistake to move either. Summers, Schlemko, and Stone are all solid prospects but none have any significant trade value. Not anywhere approaching the value needed to secure a top six NHL forward, anyway.

So maybe pick a forward like Horcoff off the scrap heap, on a one year so he can go back and sign with Edmonton again next summer. Then wait until a month or two into the season to see if we can't drive the demand for guys like Schlemko, Summers, and Stone up enough that we can move them with a pick and lesser prospect for some help on the wing.

Sullivan-Hanzal-Vrbata
Korpikoski-Vermette-Boedker
Torres-Horcoff-Moss
Chipchura-Gordon-Johnson
Bissonnette

Horcoff is sort of the rah, rah blood and guts type that Doan is. Maybe add Gomez to take Whitney's spot as a great playmaking LW who is more of the laid back, jokester old man like Whitney. Both guys are way over paid and way likely to phenom bought out provided cap amnesty. However, both are still solid players, and respected leaders. Few million a pop on one year deals?

Gomez-Hanzal-Vrbata
Sullivan-Vermette-Boedker
Korpikoski-Horcoff-Moss
Torres-Gordon-Johnson
Chipchura

Last edited by rt: 09-09-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old
09-09-2012, 01:45 PM
YotesFan47

I like the horcoff signing for the 3rd line but I'm not so sure I like Gomez on our 1a/1b line. Having him as a 4th line center wouldn't bother me at all but top 6 is a bit too risky of an investment IMO. With kostitsyn still on the market I would much rather go for him.

Sullivan - Hanzal - Vrbata
Boedker - Vermette - Kostitsyn
Korpikoski - Horcoff - Moss
Torres - Gordon - Chipchura/Johnson

YotesFan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Rutkowski

Gomez had 11 points last season; I don't want him near even our fourth line because his defensive play is as crap as his offensive play.

Rutkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 02:40 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotesFan47 View Post
I like the horcoff signing for the 3rd line but I'm not so sure I like Gomez on our 1a/1b line. Having him as a 4th line center wouldn't bother me at all but top 6 is a bit too risky of an investment IMO. With kostitsyn still on the market I would much rather go for him.

Boedker - Vermette - Kostitsyn
Korpikoski - Horcoff - Moss
Torres - Gordon - Chipchura/Johnson
That's better. I just like one year deals more than anyone should. It's like a sick obsession.

Old
09-18-2012, 12:07 AM
YotesFan47

Even though we are in a lock out I still like to think about possible acquisitions that could help the coyotes should there be a season. I had a few questions about some guys and what you all thought they could possibly be had for. A lot of them are just coming into their prime or are close to hitting it so I feel they could help a cash strapped playoff team. Also we have Doan signed now and another center and winger would be nice to finish off the roster.

Jiri Tlusty - I know carolina just added to make themselves a contender and from the looks of it they wouldn't need some of our defense that we would be willing to trade but what would it take to get him? Also I haven't watched much of the hurricanes play, is he well versed defensively? He comes at a good price tag and could be the kind of piece we are looking for, just a matter of if we have something that could be added for him.

Matt Read - I know his name has been tossed around in proposals but I still like the kid and at his contract I think he could be a valuable piece. Summers and a 2nd maybe for him?

Colin Greening - his name just recently showed up in a proposal I saw and got me curious. Seems like an average forward with good size and speed with just a touch of upside left to be desired. He's under a good contract for another 2 years and could help with some offense on wing.

Kyle Brodziak - Kyle put up some decent numbers last year, my question is if he is ok defensively? If so he could be another guy we could go after. Granted he is on Minnesota which just signed 2 big name players to make themselves contenders but there is always a possibility we could pull him away for a decent price.

Chris Higgins - Character guy who is good defensively and has average offense. I personally have liked him ever since I saw him play in NY. He could be another piece that could push us to the conference finals, and possibly to the Stanley cup. What do you think would need to be given up to get him.

Mark Letestu - Could make for a nice 3rd or 4th line center, again I'm not sure how he is defensively but there is the ability for him to generate offense. Possibly had for cheap? CBJ doesn't really need defense but maybe GMDM could convince them otherwise. He can also play wing so the option is certainly available.

Many of these players may be too valuable to their team to even ask for or just have zero want/need for defense or possibly could only be had in a bigger deal. I don't know, certainly something to think about rather than the depressing lockout.

Old
09-18-2012, 12:41 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

To me, Nick Johnson is a pretty good comparable to Colin Greening.

Old
09-18-2012, 06:17 AM
mitch27

I feel Greening has a little more upside than Johnson.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:09 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
I feel Greening has a little more upside than Johnson.
Could be. It's really hard to judge without firsthand viewings. The only time I've seen either guy is highlight packages, and a couple of playoff games for Greening. I think those playoff games, and playing for a popular Canadian team has definitely provided Greening with more exposure and more hype. I don't watch the ECAC. It's technically D1 but its ivy league. Johnson had slightly better numbers in that league. The two players had nearly identical numbers in the AHL and Greening has had the better NHL numbers, so far.

For NHL numbers, though, I've always got to raise a bit of an eyebrow when looking at Ottawa. This is a run and gun, all offense team that gives any young kid a shot. 4th ranked offense, and 24th ranked defense. The epitome of a numbers bloating system with players who may not translate that kind of success to another team. It's a buyer beware squad, to me. Just look at Kyle Turris. Immediately handed a top line role with Alfredsson and Foligno. Immediately given nearly two minutes a game of pp time on a top ten power play. Guess what, Greening had only three fewer seconds per game of power play time than did Turris last season.

In stark contrast, you've got the Minnesota Wild and Nick Johnson. A defense ranked in the top half of the league but an offense ranked DEAD LAST. Johnson barely got any pp time at all. Then again, look what he was able to accomplish on a much more talented, much better squad in Pittsburgh. Big numbers in a very small sample.

Both guys are rough and tumble big kids who make their living around the crease. Both are willing fighters and both are terrible fighters. Neither is exceptionally skilled but both have raw tools.

It will be interesting to see how their careers shake out.

Old
09-18-2012, 02:49 PM
YotesFan47

So essentially Greening and Johnson are the same player and there is little reason to have 2 of them. Another thought I had was possibly going after Matt Stajan and Mitch Wahl. Stajan could make a nice 3rd line center (is also on an ok contract) and Wahl could make to be a nice center prospect, something we lack. HF has Martinook, Long, Miele, Werek, Shinnimin, and Samuelsson listed as center prospects. None of these prospects are bad in my eyes, but I honestly don't know that we will see the likes of Miele or Samuelsson playing center, I figure them to be wingers in their NHL carriers. If I'm not mistaken, Samuelsson is a winger anyhow so don't know why he is listed as a center. I don't know that Werek or Long will ever make an NHL jump, I lack any knowledge on Martinook though his bio makes him sound promising, and Shinninmin seems like the best center prospect we have. I don't know that Shinninmin will even be greater than a 2nd line center anyway, not that Wahl has much better chances but it would be a good idea to get some extra prospects in there to grow that weakness.

Anyway with Stajan in the mix as a 3rd line center we could see a lineup like this:

Boedker - Vermette - Doan
Korpikoski - Stajan - Moss
Chipchura - Gordon - Johnson

Torres/Bissonnette

Maybe give up Schlemko, Goncharov, and a 5th? Just some more crap I have been thinking about, I know nothing will happen until after the CBA but I still enjoy toying with ideas.

Old
09-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

Czech connection is back...for now

Quote:
Coyotes center Martin Hanzal and defenseman Zbynek Michalek joined a group of teammates on Tuesday skating at the Ice Den in Scottsdale to stay in shape during the NHL lockout. But it's likely Hanzal and Michalek return to their native Czech Republic sooner rather than later.
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blo...cLellan/172220

Old
09-20-2012, 09:33 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

Quote:
Coyotes F Mikkel Boedker has told Malmo of the Swedish Div II league he'll play for them if the lockout is lengthy. His bro is on the team. -- David Pagnotta
(@TheFourthPeriod)

Old
09-20-2012, 11:34 PM
SweYote

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
Quote:
Coyotes F Mikkel Boedker has told Malmo of the Swedish Div II league he'll play for them if the lockout is lengthy. His bro is on the team. -- David Pagnotta
(@TheFourthPeriod)
Well, that's good news. Their arena is half an hour from my door.

Last edited by SweYote: 09-20-2012 at 11:39 PM.
SweYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 01:17 AM
Rutkowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweYote View Post
Well, that's good news. Their arena is half an hour from my door.
Awesome, means I can go and see him play when they visit Almtuna.

Rutkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

Klesla, Kaberle sign with Czech teams

Quote:
According to various sources, Phoenix blueliner Rostislav Klesla has signed with HC Ocelari Trinec
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...h-czech-teams/