HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The OT Non-Ski Resort - Gamer Edition

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2012, 09:24 PM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Not too much, although a lot compared to other teams I guess. I was really just a fan of Favre and it grew from there.
The Packers have a long and storied history.
For the 1st couple of years when the NFL is formed, they dominated and won virtually everything.
Even the Superbowl trophy is named after their 1st coach, and almost half the team from the Lombardi era are in the Hall of Fame.

I am more of a Seahawks fan, but since a lot of Seahwaks success is linked to the Packers (Holmgren and Hasselbeck), and I do like Rodgers, I have a healthy respect for the team.

Just curious, what do you think of Favre now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
55 minutes for my first grind isn't too bad I think. But damn that was harder than I expected. Cocky as I was, I started out waaay too fast, and I payed the price for that about halfway through. But the high you get when you reach the top, totally worth it.
That's good.
It usually takes me 2 hours to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Man...
Hate to hear stories like that.

Still, this story in particular can blow up really big and really quickly and descend into something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
20-0 Giants at the half.
Panthers are unlucky right now.
They have injuries to a couple of key guys so early in the season.

Last edited by nameless1: 09-20-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old
09-20-2012, 09:44 PM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

vCash: 883
Continuing gamer talk:

Just started playing Star Wars: The Old Republic last week. Really like it, except for the retarded auction house interface. Very, very cool game.

GTA IV still won't work on my PC. Such a crappy port. My CPU usage bottoms out so fast it's not funny, and I've tried all the workarounds a hundred times. So disappointed, as Vice City and San Andreas were some of the most fun I've ever had playing video games. Still play them sometimes; so cathartic racing down sidewalks in my little Ferrari Daytona avatar, splattering all the hapless pedestrians across my hood with Slayer cranked on the game radio......ahhh...good times.

Old
09-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

I hate the Apple Maps app.

No transit directions...

Old
09-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Royal Canuck
SuperCam!

vCash: 50
33-7 Giants. Time to switch to the Oil Kings vs Ice game full time.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
09-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Zombotron
WD-57

My lockout contingency plan has now been activated. Though I won't have a chance to see Jason Garrison tear **** up with the Canucks, I'll have the chance to watch his former BCHL team do the same.

I couldn't find a jersey so I'll have to make do with a hoodie instead.

(semi-related: while hunting for jerseys at the thrift store I found an Islanders fisherman jersey...)

Last edited by Zombotron: 09-20-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old
09-20-2012, 11:11 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1 View Post
The Packers have a long and storied history.
For the 1st couple of years when the NFL is formed, they dominated and won virtually everything.
Even the Superbowl trophy is named after their 1st coach, and almost half the team from the Lombardi era are in the Hall of Fame.

I am more of a Seahawks fan, but since a lot of Seahwaks success is linked to the Packers (Holmgren and Hasselbeck), and I do like Rodgers, I have a healthy respect for the team.

Just curious, what do you think of Favre now?
I still love him as a football player, the guy is a warrior and I appreciate what he did in Green Bay. As a person, I don't think too highly of him.

Old
09-20-2012, 11:25 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombotron View Post
My lockout contingency plan has now been activated. Though I won't have a chance to see Jason Garrison tear **** up with the Canucks, I'll have the chance to watch his former BCHL team do the same.

I couldn't find a jersey so I'll have to make do with a hoodie instead.

(semi-related: while hunting for jerseys at the thrift store I found an Islanders fisherman jersey...)
What beautiful eyes you have.

Old
09-21-2012, 12:32 AM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:
I still love him as a football player, the guy is a warrior and I appreciate what he did in Green Bay. As a person, I don't think too highly of him.
Tru dat.
I view him in the same vein as LeBron James.
I am just glad he finally retired.

Old
09-21-2012, 12:38 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Quote:
Tru dat.
I view him in the same vein as LeBron James.
I am just glad he finally retired.
I'm anti-media but much was made by the media about Favre flip-flopping between retirement and playing. If they had let it be, it wouldn't have been such a big deal. That's my take.

Old
09-21-2012, 02:20 AM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:
I'm anti-media but much was made by the media about Favre flip-flopping between retirement and playing. If they had let it be, it wouldn't have been such a big deal. That's my take.
He had that press conference about his retirement, and then 2 months later he came back.
He wanted to play for the Vikings to further his legacy, but since the Vikings were a division rival, the Packers wouldn't do it and traded him to the Jets.
By game 13, he got injured and was ineffective the rest of the way, but he played to keep his consecutive streak alive and virtually cost the Jets the chance at the playoffs.
Then he got released, which I heard he forced and also partially due to those complaints by the team masseuse, and finally played for the Vikings.
He was great that first year, but in the second year, he pondered retirement and missed almost all of training camp, only to suck and also lost his streak.

He's a great player, but by the end, he was was pretty selfish and cared only about personal achievements.

Old
09-21-2012, 02:24 AM
KISSland

Dog whisperer was in the background, and this guy is just insane... So much swagger. Wish my dog could be in the show. Damn.

Old
09-21-2012, 02:30 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Quote:
He had that press conference about his retirement, and then 2 months later he came back.
He wanted to play for the Vikings to further his legacy, but since the Vikings were a division rival, the Packers wouldn't do it and traded him to the Jets.
By game 13, he got injured and was ineffective the rest of the way, but he played to keep his consecutive streak alive and virtually cost the Jets the chance at the playoffs.
Then he got released, which I heard he forced and also partially due to those complaints by the team masseuse, and finally played for the Vikings.
He was great that first year, but in the second year, he pondered retirement and missed almost all of training camp, only to suck and also lost his streak.

He's a great player, but by the end, he was was pretty selfish and cared only about personal achievements.
The only thing I really cared about was the sexts. I mean cheating is one thing, but so carelessly like that is just reprehensible. I couldn't believe it. One of the classic cases for me where I respect the hell out of the player, but don't care for the person.

I seem to know how to pick 'em.

Old
09-21-2012, 03:41 AM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:
The only thing I really cared about was the sexts. I mean cheating is one thing, but so carelessly like that is just reprehensible. I couldn't believe it. One of the classic cases for me where I respect the hell out of the player, but don't care for the person.

I seem to know how to pick 'em.
Yeah, he had great moments on the field, and I always remember how he liked to improvise some broken down plays to turn them into first downs or 10 to 20 yards gains.
He was a gambler, who either win big or lose big with his decisions, and those were players most casual fans loved and appreciated.
It helped that he often won more than he lose.
He was also a tough s.o.b. who started almost 300 games (297 to be exact) in one of the most physical sports in the world.

There was no reason not to like him, and for the longest time he was one of the good guys of the NFL.
He was basically Tom Brady, the poster boy for All-American goodness.

It was just how he handled himself at the end.
He played with the emotions of everyone, just to further an already legendary and sure hall-of-fame career, and that was what destroyed his reputation.
The farcade that he had carefully built had come off, and it was seen as a betrayal of the fans' trust.

Most Packer fans can't stand him now, and many fans are like you, who loved him as a player but think he is despicable as a person.
It also does not help that he cheated on his wife, who was a cancer survivor and is a hero, in her own rights, to many.

There were just no reason to do what he did, and yet it happened.
It just shows how a huge ego can affect and basically take down a well-respected person.

Old
09-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Makes me mad every time I hear about Quebec university student complain about their LOWEST IN THE COUNTRY tuition.

Even with the increase, it's still almost 50% of mine.

Old
09-21-2012, 02:19 PM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Makes me mad every time I hear about Quebec university student complain about their LOWEST IN THE COUNTRY tuition.

Even with the increase, it's still almost 50% of mine.
Not just tuition...
Quebec as a whole has great social benefits.
Here are some examples:
http://www.mess.gouv.qc.ca/thematiqu...e/index_en.asp
To be honest, there are some weird ones in there.

Quebecers really believe in the idea of a social safety net.
That is why they tend to vote left.

Old
09-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Not just tuition...
Quebec as a whole has great social benefits.
Here are some examples:
http://www.mess.gouv.qc.ca/thematiqu...e/index_en.asp
To be honest, there are some weird ones in there.

Quebecers really believe in the idea of a social safety net.
That is why they tend to vote left.
So that's what they're doing with our equalisation payments?

Old
09-21-2012, 02:31 PM
jimmythescot

You forgot Franchise Hockey Manager. Should be the successor to EHM many of us have craved for years done by the same guys that make OOTP baseball.

First time in years I haven't bought NHL out the gate because 12 kept messing up my PS. I'll wait until it comes though Lovefilm (postage version of netflix) to see if it works properly first.

Old
09-21-2012, 04:47 PM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Did you guys see this?

The refs bolted out of there rather quickly, while the players didn't have much reaction.

Old
09-21-2012, 04:58 PM
Royal Canuck
SuperCam!

vCash: 50
what kind of grenade was it? Doesn't seem like a high powered one at all.

Old
09-21-2012, 04:59 PM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
So that's what they're doing with our equalisation payments?
Or...
It may be a good idea to learn French and go to Quebec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
what kind of grenade was it? Doesn't seem like a high powered one at all.
I have no idea.
I am still shocked there is a grenade at all.

Old
09-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Canucks' Kevin Bieksa drops gloves against hunger crisis
Defenceman, 2 other NHLers making a difference in West Africa through World Vision Canada
By Carly Agro, CBC Sports Posted: Aug 20, 2012 4:50 PM ET

Brace yourselves, Canada. Vancouver Canucks defenceman Kevin Bieksa thinks it could happen — another year without hockey.

The team’s top-earning blue-liner isn’t so sure he’ll be lacing ‘em up this October. “No, I wouldn’t say I’m confident.” He knows he doesn’t have all the answers, but according to him, “it’s going to take something from [NHL commissioner] Gary [Bettman] and the [team] owners that’s for sure.”

“We [the players] didn’t really play the negotiation game. We came back with what we thought was a practical, realistic system [in our alternative offer to the league’s proposal that] we could implement right away, and to see them disappointed with that right away isn’t good.”

So far, the players’ creative thinking and outside-the-box attitude has made little or no difference to the deep-pocketed and powerful owners.

But Bieksa and two other Canadian NHLers are confident a difference can be made somewhere else — in West Africa.

While it’s hard for most Canadians to imagine a frigid, frozen season without the game they worship, Bieksa, along with Mike Fisher of the Nashville Predators, and Ottawa Senators right-winger Chris Neil, want to turn your attention to another story making headlines in the world.

First, a couple of facts:

There are 18.7 million people living in the Sahel region of West Africa that don’t have enough food to eat and safe water to drink.
One million children are in need of life saving treatment for severe acute malnutrition.
Bieksa, a father of two, can’t ignore the reality that the people who call the nine countries home face each and every day. “It hurts you as a parent, it hurts you as a human being.”

“We’re fortunate in North America that we don’t have to deal with starvation and hunger,” Bieksa added, “but it’s something that no human being should have to deal with. To see so many kids and people suffering over there we have to do whatever we can to help them out.”

'Every little bit helps'
From the Atlantic to the Red Sea, drought, increasing food prices, and conflict in Northern Mali have made the threat of famine very real. That's why Bieksa is lending his face and voice to a public service announcement produced by World Vision Canada.

“I think every little bit helps,” he said. “I know people work hard for their money, but I think most people are willing to sacrifice to help.”

On Aug. 7, the Canadian government made its position clear on the matter by pledging to match any and all donations Canadians contribute to the relief effort made before Sept. 30.

“It’s unbelievable; I think it just shows why Canada is one of the best countries in the world,” said Bieksa. “It’s so far away, yet it’s such an important priority for us as Canadians to help those in need. It’s great to see the government stepping up and doing that.”

This isn’t the first charitable initiative for Bieksa. The 31-year-old Grimsby, Ont., native just returned home after spending time working with the NHL Players’ Association to help keep the memory of his beloved teammate and friend Rick Rypien alive.

The NHLPA’s Goals and Dreams fund hosted the annual Goals and Dreams Cup in Rypien’s hometown of Crowsnest Pass, Alta., in honour of Rick. The event helps provide disadvantaged kids with the equipment they need to play hockey and raise funds for the ‘Rick Ryp Foundation.’

“He would have been proud,” said Bieksa. “He loved children and he loved the game of hockey. That’s the reason we all went down there.”

Unlike the hockey season, Bieksa’s involvement with World Vision won’t start or stop based on labour negotiations. In fact, if the puck doesn’t drop on the 2012-2013 season, Bieksa, who’s never travelled to Africa, says visiting the region he’s committed to spreading awareness about is something he hopes to do.
Old but pretty cool to see a Canuck involved.

Old
09-21-2012, 07:36 PM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Oh man...
I couldn't stop laughing at it.

If it is not appropriate, please delete it.

Old
09-21-2012, 10:27 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
I've always wondered...Why's it called the "Non-Ski Resort thread?"

Old
09-21-2012, 10:56 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I've always wondered...Why's it called the "Non-Ski Resort thread?"
Ask Kesler Kills Krommies********** oops

Last edited by KISSland: 09-22-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old
09-21-2012, 11:31 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

It's all about the Ski Resort under the Sea. THINK OF THE PROFITS!!!!

Closed Thread