HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion Part XX)

Old
09-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
What's wrong with them wanting to stay in game shape and earn some money while doing it?

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
What's wrong with them wanting to stay in game shape and earn some money while doing it?
Nothing at all. The fact that it's not even October, and they don't wanna wait around a little longer, and try to get something worked out? That or they KNOW it will be long which is why I say now at this point I don't think it will take out the whole season, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Didn't many of them start going overseas in November or so after the last one in 04?

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 01:09 PM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Nothing at all. The fact that it's not even October, and they don't wanna wait around a little longer, and try to get something worked out? That or they KNOW it will be long which is why I say now at this point I don't think it will take out the whole season, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Didn't many of them start going overseas in November or so after the last one in 04?
Well the players aren't really doing the "working out" of the agreement. There's a player rep for each team so I'm sure he reaches out to everyone and then communicates back to Fehr's camp.

cj225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
I hate that there's no incentive to get this deal done as soon as possible.

NBC is still paying the owners.
Players are still getting escrow checks & signing bonuses and many of them still have a chance to play professional hockey.

There's no urgency.
It's like a bunch of whiny, snot nosed middle schoolers forced to work on a group project together.
This is how I feel exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
Well the players aren't really doing the "working out" of the agreement. There's a player rep for each team so I'm sure he reaches out to everyone and then communicates back to Fehr's camp.
I'm not necessarily blaming the players for getting out. It's just telling me they know this is gonna go on for a long time. Which is the part that gets me mad.

Old
09-21-2012, 01:53 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

I hope that:
A. The lockout requires cancellation of ALL preseason games, including those in October. (looks like this is definitely going to happen)
B. The lockout gives some needed rest to our injured guys, allowing them to recover and jump into the game with everyone else, instead of a month in when the league is back up to speed.
C. Play resumes with enough time for me to scalp the Winter Classic tickets I have.

So, early November would be fine with me.

onefatsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 02:14 PM
DevilsAnimal*

Id rather not miss any games

DevilsAnimal* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 02:21 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

I'm not hurting for hockey yet since we had such a long playoff run. And since I'm busy as ****.

onefatsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 02:29 PM
Nick0930

From TSN...

Quote:
After turning back the clock with his performance in the playoffs last season, when he again led the New Jersey Devils to the Stanley Cup Final, veteran goaltender Martin Brodeur is being forced to turn the clock back to another part of his career.

This is the fourth time since Brodeur broke into the league in 1992 with the Devils that he has been involved in a work stoppage.

He was called up to the NHL two days before the players went on strike in 1992; his career has also been affected by lockouts in 1994, 2004 and now currently in 2012.

During the last delay to the season, the Montreal native did not join other members of the NHLPA that signed contracts to play hockey in Europe, but if games start being cancelled this time around he's considering a move overseas.

"I'm going to wait it out until October, when they're going to start slashing games, and try to have a sense of where it's going," Brodeur told TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun on ESPN.com. "I know I'm closing doors in Europe now because I'm going to wait a little bit, but I'd like to go somewhere to play by November if I can get an opportunity somewhere. Right now, I have no intention of going because while there's still lines of communication [between the NHL and NHLPA], it's still a positive thing."

Despite his experience dealing with multiple work stoppages, Brodeur is no less put off by the tactics the owners have used against the players during the negotiations of the expired collective bargaining agreement.

"It's really an unfortunate thing to hold the players and the fans to this kind of treatment all the time," said Brodeur. "Regardless of whether it's something they need to do, I think everyone understands everybody's situation, but when you always try to bully somebody, it's kind of tough.

"It's been three times now. It's tough when they use the same things to always get what they want, but again, they're in their rights to do it. It's not like they're doing anything different, they're going about their business that they feel they can get a better deal for themselves."

Prior to last season, the 40-year-old goaltender and his agent negotiated a two-year-contract with Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello with an eye on having a post-stoppage deal to return to regardless of how long the players are away from the game.

"At the end of the day, that was foremost the first reason why Lou and I didn't agree on a one-year deal, because I kept telling him that I needed a guarantee I would play hockey," said Brodeur. "At my age, if I go through a whole lockout without a contract, it would have been tough for me to sign for the value I thought I was worth. So I debated with Lou a long time. It took more time than I thought it would. But they came around with it. For me, both mentally and physically, it was the most important thing to get that extra year. Because my experience is that when people talk lockout, usually it happens. That's the feeling that I had. The second year was a safety valve for me."

Though he's not ready to call it quits, Brodeur wants the ability to decide when it's time to hang up his skates and not have a lockout send him into retirement as it did to some of the players he sat out alongside in 2004.

"Eventually I'll leave the game, but I want to leave it the way I want to leave it, and not because of a work stoppage," said Brodeur. "There's so many great players that had that happen to them last time and I'm sure it killed them. Hopefully, that's under my control now with how I structured things, but I guess you never know."

For now, Brodeur just hopes that this lockout does not destroy all of the recent gains that have been made in the league.

"A lot of positive stuff came out of the last few seasons in the NHL, and now we're going back to the negative stuff," said Brodeur. "It's just not healthy."
It would be so weird seeing Marty in a jersey that isn't the Devils or Team Canada.

Nick0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 03:46 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 50
Fwiw, they're replaying Game 5 of the Finals at 5 PM on the NHLN. That might have been our last home game for a long time

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Nick0930

Glad I was there to see it live.

Also Pareasy's last goal as a Devil.

Nick0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 03:55 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 50
Yeah that's the only thing I hate about that game lol...but at least the Parise goal was as much a gaffe by Quick as anything else. I was shocked Quick even got back and was a whisker away from stopping it.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Hell Zeon*
Captain Kovalchuk******

Kovalchuk is better than Datsyuk. I really like Datsyuk and everything he brings, but he's that overrated player on HF. I think Kovalchuk is less underrated on here after the playoffs but still is underrated and I could easily make an argument as to why Kovalchuk is better.

Hell Zeon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 05:16 PM
CerebralGenesis

I'm excited for this.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Yeah that's the only thing I hate about that game lol...but at least the Parise goal was as much a gaffe by Quick as anything else. I was shocked Quick even got back and was a whisker away from stopping it.
That was the only game I believe in the whole playoffs Quick had an under 900 save percentage for a game. It was also the only game Parise did much noteworthy during the SCF. Most other games he was getting tossed around by Kopitar. I thank him for his contribution that game as every goal in a one goal game is just as important as a game winning goal. If not for him we may have been eliminated on home ice, and watching Brown lift the Cup on our ice.

Old
09-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Zeon View Post
Kovalchuk is better than Datsyuk. I really like Datsyuk and everything he brings, but he's that overrated player on HF. I think Kovalchuk is less underrated on here after the playoffs but still is underrated and I could easily make an argument as to why Kovalchuk is better.
Love to hear this one.

Datsyuk brings more to the table than Kovalchuk will ever bring. Don't get me wrong I love Kovalchuk but the only thing Kovalchuk really has on Datsyuk is his shot and maybe a few other parts of his game.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 05:28 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I'm excited for this.
...I think I finally figured out how Kovy pulled off that late upset.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 05:35 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Parise is better than Kovy! How did he lose their battle in that poll?!

Old
09-21-2012, 06:20 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

1 cancelled regular season game is too much. I want hockey.

Jersey Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Man View Post
1 cancelled regular season game is too much. I want hockey.
The NHL is a joke because of this. If they become irrelevant it's their own damn fault. I want some hockey too. Guess I have to watch baseball or football or something else I don't really like much.

Old
09-21-2012, 06:30 PM
elias026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
The NHL is a joke because of this. If they become irrelevant it's their own damn fault. I want some hockey too. Guess I have to watch baseball or football or something else I don't really like much.

this commercial sums it up for me with a lockout

elias026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Zippy316

Right now I'd be reading about the first day of Devils training camp.

Old
09-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Zippy316

Out of boredom and nothing else, what would you give up for Patrick Kane?

Would you center a deal around Zajac for him or no?

Old
09-21-2012, 07:53 PM
HeliDevil
Legend

Probably not, and you'd be giving up a lot of great defensive work by trading Zajac.

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 10:46 PM
Thunderfest
The Wumpus

The real worst part of this impending lockout is that it might delay the Devils debut of Krys Barch. It's what we're all waiting for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Out of boredom and nothing else, what would you give up for Patrick Kane?

Would you center a deal around Zajac for him or no?
Kane is a very talented hockey player, but my goodness do I dislike his attitude. I think we could handle either him or Merrill in the locker room, but not both.

Thunderfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 10:51 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfest View Post
The real worst part of this impending lockout is that it might delay the Devils debut of Krys Barch. It's what we're all waiting for.
The best part would have been Janssen going to the AHL since he's on a two way, and getting lost down there once the NHL season starts. Too bad he's not gonna be playing there either.

Seriously though this lockout sucks. I wanna throw a jelly jar!