HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

mouthpiece necessary if wearing cage?

Old
07-26-2012, 11:51 AM
neksys

vCash: 500
I'm considering getting one of these UnderArmour ArmourBite mouthpieces. They claim all sorts of fake-sounding science ("LOWERS CORTISOL PRODUCTION! INCREASES REACTION TIME! etc. etc.) but after hearing this poor lady's teeth snap, I wonder if even something minimal like this would provide at least a bit of protection.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:35 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Can't stand mouthguards, they make me gag.

guess I'll never make it in the NHL...
You can trim mouthguards.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I don't think they do much for concussions. They are usually there to prevent chipped teeth or biting the tongue.
Pretty sure that most of the evidence out there states just the opposite.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

What evidence? I haven't seen anything conclusive, aside from claims by manufacturers.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 08:40 AM
Thesensation19*

The mouth guard serves two purposes, main purposes.

1) Protect your teeth and all mouth.
2) Reduce chances of a concussion

If you wear a proper cage with a proper chin piece and a well fitted helmet you will have no problem protecting your teeth from an outside force. But what if you fall or get hit or something where your own teeth bite down on one another hard?

Also most mouth pieces today do a good job in reducing head injuries. Look into it

So basically,
yes it is still useful to wear one with a helmet, cage visor or what have you

Thesensation19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 08:44 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I still haven't heard anything concrete on mouthguards preventing concussions. Feel free to link any studies that have, but until then it's peace of mind, like $150+ helmets that pass the same certification as $50 helmets.

Old
09-21-2012, 09:14 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
I still haven't heard anything concrete on mouthguards preventing concussions. Feel free to link any studies that have, but until then it's peace of mind, like $150+ helmets that pass the same certification as $50 helmets.
I am currently taking the age specific module for my USA Hockey coaching certification and they specifically said that there is no evidence that mouthguards help prevent concussions.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 12:12 PM
TieClark

Quote:
I've heard they help and have since I was a kid but that's just passed on info.

As for the helmets... yes they pass the same kind of certification but again I would think the more advanced material surrounding the head provides better protection that a single piece of foam layering the inside.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Cowbell232

USA Hockey's official stance on mouthguards is that it protects your teeth and from biting your tongue - even in non-contact leagues.

However, they do ZERO for concussion prevention.

I wear a mouthguard when I wear a visor so I can protect my teeth. I don't wear when I wear my cage, but I honestly think I might start since you don't want to bite your tongue off...

09-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
USA Hockey's official stance on mouthguards is that it protects your teeth and from biting your tongue - even in non-contact leagues.

I wear a mouthguard when I wear a visor so I can protect my teeth. I don't wear when I wear my cage, but I honestly think I might start since you don't want to bite your tongue off...
Please, provide a link to USAH's official stance so we can all see it for ourselves. I have never seen this in the USAH website and would love to see you produce this info.

Quote:
The mouth guard is a required piece of equipment for youth hockey in the United States, but is optional for college and junior players. A form-fit mouthguard not only protects the teeth, but may also prevent concussions and injuries to the temporomandibular joint.
Actually, I found this on the USAH site which contradicts what you stated. And here's a link to support it http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Us...2_02&id=292544

Last edited by Gino 14: 09-24-2012 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Added link
Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Nope...

However, I've got nothing wrong with the thought of wearing one...

Nothing to stop you doing it!

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 04:54 PM
Trl3789

Here is an article I found from the British Journal of sports medicine, which looks at previous research and comes to the conclusion that mouthgaurds have not been shown to significantly reduce the likelyhood of brain or spinal cord injuries.

http://www.bjsm.bmj.com/content/35/2/81.full.html

I read it on my phone so if it doesn't work I'll fix it when I get a chance

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 11:03 PM
CanucksSayEh

Keeps you from biting your tongue if you get knocked silly, you can cut the back and high "fangs" off the guard to make it more comfortable to wear and talk, as long as you have something to keep your jaw secure.

CanucksSayEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 11:06 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Certification is a minimum standard. Yes, you can get something that does the minimum, but you could get something better. You could just as easily say that since you can get a full meal for 20 cents with a packet of ramen, there's never any reason to spend 20 dollars for a steak.

A really crappy helmet meeting the same minimum standard does not come anywhere close to meaning that it's just as good as the one that the helmet maker has dumped a lot of R&D money into making the absolute best on the market.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 11:09 PM
SCritical

I never wear one, they irritate me far too much.

Then again, I've had three concussions this year and have put my teeth through my lip a couple of times...so take from that what you will

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 07:40 AM
Beezeral

No mouth guard for me.

How can I be expected to chirp if my speech is impeded by a piece of rubber

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 08:39 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
No mouth guard for me.

How can I be expected to chirp if my speech is impeded by a piece of rubber
Thought you play in net?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post

Yep. I bit my tongue once when someone nailed my jaws - even with cage on.

It's useful for people who breath through their mouth or play with their mouth hanging open. Then again, I don't think I seen anyone who play sports with their teeth clenched.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 04:12 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

I never wear a mouthgard

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Certification is a minimum standard. Yes, you can get something that does the minimum, but you could get something better. You could just as easily say that since you can get a full meal for 20 cents with a packet of ramen, there's never any reason to spend 20 dollars for a steak.

A really crappy helmet meeting the same minimum standard does not come anywhere close to meaning that it's just as good as the one that the helmet maker has dumped a lot of R&D money into making the absolute best on the market.
As of now there is no testing that can show if/which helmets can prevent or reduce concussions. Right now it is just impact testing aka prevent the helmet from popping off and your head from being split open. Any of the testing done by companies regarding concussion prevention is purely exploratory or anecdotal and not proven or accepted.

Official statement of helmet testing:

Quote:
The helmet's performance is evaluated by testing the chinstrap for strength and elongation and by testing the impact absorption properties of the helmet liner. All tests are performed using helmets attached to headforms that simulate different sizes of the human head. For the retention system, the helmet is placed on a headform and a load is applied using a device to simulate the chin bone structure. The strength and elongation properties of the helmet strap are evaluated. Dropping a helmet (with the headform inside) onto a flat hard surface tests the impact absorption properties. When dropped onto the flat surface, instruments in the headform measure the force transmitted through the helmet to the headform. This test is performed at ambient, hot and cold conditions. At each of these conditions the helmet must absorb a minimum amount of energy in order to meet the requirements of the standard.
Their stance on concussions:

Quote:
Decreasing the Risk for Concussions

Wear a helmet certified for your sport. Make sure that the helmet fits tight so that it does not move around on your head. The helmet should be attached by a chin or neck strap.

Wear a mouthguard, preferably a mouthguard fitted by a dentist. There is no proof that the use of a mouthguard decreases the risk for concussions, but it may be useful in certain situations.
Again, the HECC is the only real authority when it comes to helmet testing. Any helmet on the market with their endorsement will protect to a minimum standard against blows to the head. None of them purport to reduce or prevent concussions as nothing has been proven as of yet.

And even the HECC will throw in the mouthguard suggestion but will note there is no proof.

Old
09-24-2012, 10:59 AM
NYR89

I actually prefer wearing a mouthguard. In all actuality it's not hard to talk with them in either. It feels better when you get bumped or even fall down. I would rather protect my teeth than take any chances. I also wear a cage

NYR89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 04:22 PM
Frankie Spankie

I play in a non-checking league, always wear a cage, never wear a mouth guard. There's just no need if you're wearing a cage in a non-checking league IMO.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
I play in a non-checking league, always wear a cage, never wear a mouth guard. There's just no need if you're wearing a cage in a non-checking league IMO.
Might be helpful if you're going to stand near the crease though. A lot of contact there even in non-contact leagues.

That's where I bit my tongue, getting a bump near my jaw in the crease.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 11:28 AM
frito

Even though I wear a full cage and the link between mouthguards and reduced concussion risk is being challenged, I still wear a custom fit guard. I had a girl on my U10 team I coached who actually bit through her tongue. That could have been avoided with a mouth guard. Funny thing is, her dad, an assistant coach, is a doctor.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Please, provide a link to USAH's official stance so we can all see it for ourselves. I have never seen this in the USAH website and would love to see you produce this info.

Actually, I found this on the USAH site which contradicts what you stated. And here's a link to support it http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Us...2_02&id=292544
That is from 2005. I just went through USAH Coaching Certification recently, and they have changed their stance on it after new studies were completed. I'll gladly share my CEP number with you via PM if you'd like. I'm sure I can dig up some newer material on this as well.

Cowbell232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 04:07 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Lady Justice

vCash: 564
I wear a mouthpiece for rugby (we call it a "gumshield" in that sport - hooray for different vocabulary).

I only play non-checking pickup hockey so I don't wear one for hockey. Of course, I don't wear a cage or even a visor either.

I've had a few occasions during practice where I've gotten knocked in rugby and my teeth banged together (since it was just practice I didn't have my mouthpiece in - the contact was also unintentional). The results were rather painful and could have been avoided with the mouthpiece.

If I played checking hockey I'd wear one (but still probably not a cage/visor).

Primrose Everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote