HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Klaus Catsby, Esquire

Closed Thread

Old
09-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 500
Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Klaus Catsby, Esquire

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 11-14-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old
09-21-2012, 11:53 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
For the record - I'd never take your thread. I think the Pens board knows the stickied threads are for Big.

And for wrestling, you'd be surprised with the Wrestling Board being a lot of Pens fans. We have a pretty big following.

Old
09-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
For the record - I'd never take your thread. I think the Pens board knows the stickied threads are for Big.

And for wrestling, you'd be surprised with the Wrestling Board being a lot of Pens fans. We have a pretty big following.
1. Good to know

2. That's not surprising. We all know Pittsburgh has been stuck in the late 80s for decades now.

I'd use the sarcasm smiley, but in certain ways that's damn true.

Old
09-21-2012, 12:05 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

With a lot of clothing now being rehashed from the 80's... and people thinking it's cool to have that type of mustashe, I wonder if there was two pictures side-by-side (with the same quality) if I could even tell the difference.

Welp.. off to go pay $4.00 for a couple gallons of gas just so my MKZ can eat it all up in about 3 days. That's what I get for looking for a reliable car as opposed to a cheaply made gas saver.

And random note: I ****ing miss AIM. Life was much simpler with an away message.

Old
09-21-2012, 12:11 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-falls/149558/
Sooo....The Office and Parks and Rec had some pretty depressing ratings last night. It's the last season of The Office so it doesn't really matter for them, but Parks and Rec could be in some serious trouble. But alas, people would just rather watch Two and a Half Men re-runs

Old
09-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

Last night was the first time I ever actually watched it live.

Like I ranted in the last thread, the field of television has just changed too much for pure ratings numbers to be a reliable indicator of a show's true viewership.

Old
09-21-2012, 12:18 PM
invictus

I got my rejection letter from the State Department. Yet another year of not getting selected to be a diplomat

Work is also starting to suck. I got called into my supervisor's office yesterday and told the following:

"You have been doing an amazing job! So well, in fact, we talked to the state office and decided not to hire the new person to help out next month. We are just going to shift all of their duties to you since you are handling things so well."

What madness is this? And I am serving through a contract that allows for no increased pay commiserate with the increased responsibility. ****** times, gents.

Old
09-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Last night was the first time I ever actually watched it live.

Like I ranted in the last thread, the field of television has just changed too much for pure ratings numbers to be a reliable indicator of a show's true viewership.
Exactly. Now if only the "bosses" would understand that.

Old
09-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh00terMcGavin View Post
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-falls/149558/
Sooo....The Office and Parks and Rec had some pretty depressing ratings last night. It's the last season of The Office so it doesn't really matter for them, but Parks and Rec could be in some serious trouble. But alas, people would just rather watch Two and a Half Men re-runs
I watched them both last night. The Office reminded me why I haven't watched with any regularity since Michael left. Parks and Rec was solid enough.

Old
09-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

I'm so far behind with The Office that I didn't bother to watch it...but I honestly don't know when/if I'll ever catch up. Once Jim & Pam got together the show started to fall apart and just too many cast members have left...that may work on a show like ER, but it's just too hard to do that successfully with a comedy show.

Parks & Rec is definitely in danger. The fifth season is usually when things start to go downhill...Parks & Rec hasn't had as many episodes as most shows entering a fifth season so hopefully that'll help sustain it, but I'm not so much worried about the quality dipping as much as I am the network losing patience...and I do think 90% of the reason that Parks & Rec and Community are even on the air this season is because of the critical acclaim and complete lack of ideas NBC could possibly replace them with.

NBC's new shows this year are mind-numbingly stupid premises and a vehicle for a sitcom star who hasn't been able to shake the fact that he played a character on a show that ended a decade ago. Put two more shows like that on in place of their two critically acclaimed shows and you've completely alienated the younger fan base.

But the fact that 30 Rock has a send-off short season really does tell you that NBC just didn't have anything to replace these shows with. 30 Rock costs a good deal more to make than the Parks & Rec and Community and has ratings largely in-line with them. I know a lot of it is trying to keep Tina Fey around as long as possible, but that's another show that blasted past it's original premise and started going downhill around season 5.

Old
09-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
I got my rejection letter from the State Department. Yet another year of not getting selected to be a diplomat
sorry bud. i'm also going through the cycle of rejection from the Feds. i'm currently trying to find an attorney position at one of the federal agencies.

Old
09-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I'm so far behind with The Office that I didn't bother to watch it...but I honestly don't know when/if I'll ever catch up. Once Jim & Pam got together the show started to fall apart and just too many cast members have left...that may work on a show like ER, but it's just too hard to do that successfully with a comedy show.
It was generally still funny as long as Michael was around. Its not now.

Quote:
Parks & Rec is definitely in danger. The fifth season is usually when things start to go downhill...Parks & Rec hasn't had as many episodes as most shows entering a fifth season so hopefully that'll help sustain it, but I'm not so much worried about the quality dipping as much as I am the network losing patience...and I do think 90% of the reason that Parks & Rec and Community are even on the air this season is because of the critical acclaim and complete lack of ideas NBC could possibly replace them with.

NBC's new shows this year are mind-numbingly stupid premises and a vehicle for a sitcom star who hasn't been able to shake the fact that he played a character on a show that ended a decade ago. Put two more shows like that on in place of their two critically acclaimed shows and you've completely alienated the younger fan base.
These new shows do look terrible. I loved Matthew Perry on Friends, but he doesn't seem like a good leading man to me. The only way that show works if he the supporting cast can develop into a strong ensemble cast.

Quote:
But the fact that 30 Rock has a send-off short season really does tell you that NBC just didn't have anything to replace these shows with. 30 Rock costs a good deal more to make than the Parks & Rec and Community and has ratings largely in-line with them. I know a lot of it is trying to keep Tina Fey around as long as possible, but that's another show that blasted past it's original premise and started going downhill around season 5.
you mean episode 5 right?

Old
09-21-2012, 01:29 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

i don't understand why these networks aren't willing to take a hit on the ratings for just ONE critically-acclaimed show each (to wit, the best shows, to my mind, are usually the cheaper ones). with the rest of their programming catered to the lowest common denominator i'm sure they'd be fine (especially when you consider how much they spend on crappy first seasons of crappy shows that they don't renew).

I think about how NBC supported Homicide for 7 seasons and i'm left with two thoughts: 1) good on them for keeping with the show in the face of dismal ratings (remember when NBC gave the producers an ultimatum to make Homicide more popular than Nash Bridges or face cancellation but kept the show in air even when it didn't beat Nash Bridges?) and

2) remember how they meddled with the show by handing down ultimatums, forcing the writer's hands and replacing cast members every season (at least five detectives nixed by season 7) turning what could have been the best show to ever grace television into merely a very good show. in my opinion it's better to be strung along with the future in doubt the way Parks and Recs / Community are than to actually have network suits meddle with the content of the show.

so, progress? perhaps, but things still look bleak in the world of the boob tube.

Old
09-21-2012, 01:33 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
sorry bud. i'm also going through the cycle of rejection from the Feds. i'm currently trying to find an attorney position at one of the federal agencies.
Thanks man, I appreciate it. The frustrating thing was I scored 20+ points higher this year than last on the test. Additionally, my references were actually called this time, unlike the first But, I suppose trending upward is a positive, and adding in my experience from this year on next year's app will maybe make the difference.

Being an attorney for a federal agency sounds like potentially intriguing work.

Old
09-21-2012, 01:45 PM
End of Line
Human After All

MMA will be in this thread Big.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
09-21-2012, 01:57 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

Old
09-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Saving Greiss
HFBoards Sponsor

Wow. Why can't I post gifts today. Whatev

Old
09-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

I love girls with glasses all of a sudden. Granted, they have to pretty cute to pull it off...but still

Old
09-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Old
09-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Saving Greiss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh00terMcGavin View Post
I love girls with glasses all of a sudden. Granted, they have to pretty cute to pull it off...but still
I've always found girls with glasses to be hot. Maybe it's the stereotype that glasses = intelligence.

Old
09-21-2012, 08:45 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Glasses on a chick is riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidiculously sexy.

Old
09-21-2012, 11:17 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

I'm not a huge AWOLNATION fan... but then again I feel they should get a lot more credit. The CD is ****ing great. Hell.. the 14 minute song "Knights of Shame" is a journey in it's own.

Why no love?

Old
09-21-2012, 11:36 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I'm not a huge AWOLNATION fan... but then again I feel they should get a lot more credit. The CD is ****ing great. Hell.. the 14 minute song "Knights of Shame" is a journey in it's own.

Why no love?
who?

Old
09-21-2012, 11:52 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
who?
Exactly my thoughts...

Old
09-21-2012, 11:54 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Exactly my thoughts...
they're probably some sort of skrillex or snorlax band or something.

Closed Thread