HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The OT Non-Ski Resort - Gamer Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-22-2012, 12:37 AM
  #101
Taelin
Moderator
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1 View Post
Or...
It may be a good idea to learn French and go to Quebec.
I wish, but I'm terrible at learning new languages. I can't read my own mother language.

Taelin is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 12:37 AM
  #102
Vankiller Whale
Spread the love
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,677
vCash: 1212
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=357264

Found it

Pretty awesome.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 01:28 AM
  #103
nameless1
Annoying Poetry Guy
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
I wish, but I'm terrible at learning new languages. I can't read my own mother language.
You should learn it.
Just look at Richmond.
I barely hear English anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
To be honest with you, I really thought the guy was joking when I first read it.
Then it grew on me, and I wanted to be a part of this kooky group.

Looking back at the thread, it is nice to reminisce and see some of those posters again.
What happened to those guys?


Last edited by nameless1: 09-22-2012 at 01:35 AM.
nameless1 is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 02:13 AM
  #104
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg
 
VinnyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 新香
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,095
vCash: 500
just came back from the Rickshaw

saw Accept live

I can die happy now



if I wasn't up since god knows how early and didn't go through so much during the day I'd have stuck around for some Kreator too but ah well. Some Finnish doom/death band opened for them and I kept shouting names of Finnish hockey players, not sure if they got the memo. Either way, one off the bucket list!

VinnyC is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 02:24 AM
  #105
Reverend Mayhem
Registered Nurse
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,504
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Haha. I'm legit jealous at the people who can converse in more than one language. I can only speak one language and I **** it up a lot (I have a bit of a slur when I speak...when I am sober).

Reverend Mayhem is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 03:00 AM
  #106
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg
 
VinnyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 新香
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Haha. I'm legit jealous at the people who can converse in more than one language. I can only speak one language and I **** it up a lot (I have a bit of a slur when I speak...when I am sober).
You should definitively try picking up a new language. I can't really imagine getting by with just English, haha.

VinnyC is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 03:06 AM
  #107
nameless1
Annoying Poetry Guy
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
You should definitively try picking up a new language. I can't really imagine getting by with just English, haha.
I would love to learn German.

I know 3 words so far...
Guten tag, Deutschland and Bier.
I hope to travel through Germany with these 3 words.

Btw...
I finally figured out why the German people love David Hasselhoff.
Pretty happy that I solved one of the mysteries of life.


Last edited by nameless1: 09-22-2012 at 03:13 AM.
nameless1 is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 04:09 AM
  #108
Reverend Mayhem
Registered Nurse
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,504
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
You should definitively try picking up a new language. I can't really imagine getting by with just English, haha.
I used to be able to speak Spanish, but I lost it after high school.

I would love to learn German or Swedish, two countries I'd love to go to or even live in if I have to.

Reverend Mayhem is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 04:18 AM
  #109
Royal Canuck
Go Jumbo Joe!
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,284
vCash: 814
I've been taking French since Grade 5, still suck at it.

Je t'aime parle en anglais, je n'aime pas francais. Je vais a l'ecole toujours avec mon amis et je regarde HFBoards toujours.

Please, hold your applause.

__________________

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 04:39 AM
  #110
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,271
vCash: 500
So I finally saw Prometheus... the sci-fi elements were fairly cool and well done but good god the story was a mess and I personally thought the first 5-10 minutes were completely unnecessary. The movie should have just started on the ship.

LickTheEnvelope is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 04:42 AM
  #111
Reverend Mayhem
Registered Nurse
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,504
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
I've been taking French since Grade 5, still suck at it.

Je t'aime parle en anglais, je n'aime pas francais. Je vais a l'ecole toujours avec mon amis et je regarde HFBoards toujours.

Please, hold your applause.
Wow, you Frenchie. Might as well concede defeat already after that, you bread-cutter.

Haha. All in good fun, people from where I live pick on the French-immersion students. My heritage is actually one-quarter French, but I make fun of them too. Hey, can't beat them, join them.

Reverend Mayhem is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 05:01 AM
  #112
nameless1
Annoying Poetry Guy
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
So I finally saw Prometheus... the sci-fi elements were fairly cool and well done but good god the story was a mess and I personally thought the first 5-10 minutes were completely unnecessary. The movie should have just started on the ship.
It wasn't bad...
Beautifully shot, looks really good in 3D, and also showcases the original Lisbeth Salander...
But I think the biggest problem was that it was overhyped, and that people expected it to be like Alien.

Ridley Scott had been in Hollywood for too long...
He is no longer that groundbreaking director who gave us Alien, Blade Runner and the 1984 commercial.

The first 5-10 minutes is actually necessary.
I wish I remember how to do the spoiler quote...
I can't explain it without spoiling the film.

Scott said that he needed at least 2 more films to explain everything, and since the movie did pretty well, especially in the foreign markets (almost $400 million dollars overall), the trilogy will probably be made.

nameless1 is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 05:11 AM
  #113
Reverend Mayhem
Registered Nurse
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,504
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Step Brothers is still the best movie of all-time...at least in my eyes.

Reverend Mayhem is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 05:23 AM
  #114
nameless1
Annoying Poetry Guy
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Step Brothers is still the best movie of all-time...at least in my eyes.
As a self-proclaimed film buff, my favorite film of all time is Network, followed closely by Once Upon of Time in America and Pulp Fiction.

nameless1 is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 11:41 AM
  #115
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1 View Post
It wasn't bad...
Beautifully shot, looks really good in 3D, and also showcases the original Lisbeth Salander...
But I think the biggest problem was that it was overhyped, and that people expected it to be like Alien.

Ridley Scott had been in Hollywood for too long...
He is no longer that groundbreaking director who gave us Alien, Blade Runner and the 1984 commercial.

The first 5-10 minutes is actually necessary.
I wish I remember how to do the spoiler quote...
I can't explain it without spoiling the film.


Scott said that he needed at least 2 more films to explain everything, and since the movie did pretty well, especially in the foreign markets (almost $400 million dollars overall), the trilogy will probably be made.
????

I will check again but it seemed to ruin the story.

***f/u****

I checked out 5 or 6 different explanations for the opening scene... and yes... I know what the Alien is doing... and I understand what the scientists are doing in the cave, I just don't understand why it happens right away on hard cuts. It's bad storytelling to ruin a big chunk of the mystery literally right away.


Last edited by LickTheEnvelope: 09-22-2012 at 11:46 AM.
LickTheEnvelope is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 12:19 PM
  #116
Vankiller Whale
Spread the love
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,677
vCash: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
????

I will check again but it seemed to ruin the story.

***f/u****

I checked out 5 or 6 different explanations for the opening scene... and yes... I know what the Alien is doing... and I understand what the scientists are doing in the cave, I just don't understand why it happens right away on hard cuts. It's bad storytelling to ruin a big chunk of the mystery literally right away.
Although the ending was just plain stupid. Throughout the movie it seems like they just invented new aliens as they went along. I never really got how they are all related.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 12:46 PM
  #117
Reverend Mayhem
Registered Nurse
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,504
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1 View Post
As a self-proclaimed film buff, my favorite film of all time is Network, followed closely by Once Upon of Time in America and Pulp Fiction.
Seriously, Usual Suspects is up there for me. That's a classic.

Reverend Mayhem is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 02:45 PM
  #118
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War
 
AndyPipkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Step Brothers is still the best movie of all-time...at least in my eyes.
Bad Santa will always be funny for me.

AndyPipkin is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 03:04 PM
  #119
Royal Canuck
Go Jumbo Joe!
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,284
vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Step Brothers is still the best movie of all-time...at least in my eyes.
Wayne's World & Dumb and Dumber.

Honorable mention to Ace Ventura.

Royal Canuck is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 03:32 PM
  #120
nameless1
Annoying Poetry Guy
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
????

I will check again but it seemed to ruin the story.

***f/u****

I checked out 5 or 6 different explanations for the opening scene... and yes... I know what the Alien is doing... and I understand what the scientists are doing in the cave, I just don't understand why it happens right away on hard cuts. It's bad storytelling to ruin a big chunk of the mystery literally right away.
I was trying to put up a spoiler quote so that I would not ruin the movie for people who have not seen it yet.
Since I forgot how to do that, I will try it in a way that does not ruin anything.

To me, I think there are 2 explanations.

The first one, I believe, explains the origin of man.
It had that DNA sequence right afterwards.
The mystery to me was why the Engineer wants to bring the substance to earth.
Was it to destroy earth because it thinks earthlings are imperfect creatures, or are humans just guinea pigs for them to test the substance and see how much they can evolve?

The second was that he was the one who caused the catastrophe that killed almost everyone.

I actually think it sets up the whole story.
It is less about how the substance is toxic.
But these are my own speculations, and they could be really, really off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Although the ending was just plain stupid. Throughout the movie it seems like they just invented new aliens as they went along. I never really got how they are all related.
Yeah, you are right on.
That was why it was really disappointing to most people, who expected a direct prequel to the Alien franchise.

But at least there was some continuity with the facehugger, and the final alien looked a bit like the ones most people are familiar with.
Other than that, it was as Scott said, it really was a loose prequel.

nameless1 is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 03:34 PM
  #121
nameless1
Annoying Poetry Guy
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Seriously, Usual Suspects is up there for me. That's a classic.
I also loved the movie...
But I see it as like The Sixth Sense.
Once you have seen it, you don't really want to see it again.

nameless1 is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 03:37 PM
  #122
KISSland
Registered User
 
KISSland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,682
vCash: 500
Really not that into the Alien franchise as I wasn't around when the movie was all what it was pumped up to be, but I liked Prometheus. I got to watch it for free, so that might be why I liked it more than others, but I enjoyed the film.

I wonder what the robot told the engineer though that got it so angry.

KISSland is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 03:37 PM
  #123
jimmythescot
Registered User
 
jimmythescot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,407
vCash: 500
Two obscure ones that I love are Once Upon a Time in China and Scorpion King (not that one)


Doesn't really do it justice, but I just found out you can watch the whole thing on youtube. Not even hard to find.

There's clever editing and blatantly obvious wirework in parts, but Kim Won-Jin's graceful movement is amazing in it.

jimmythescot is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 04:06 PM
  #124
nameless1
Annoying Poetry Guy
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythescot View Post
Two obscure ones that I love are Once Upon a Time in China and Scorpion King (not that one)


Doesn't really do it justice, but I just found out you can watch the whole thing on youtube. Not even hard to find.

There's clever editing and blatantly obvious wirework in parts, but Kim Won-Jin's graceful movement is amazing in it.
The Once Upon A Time in China series had some of the best action sequences ever recorded on film.
The best one in the series was probably the second one, because it also starred some legit martial artists (Jet Li and Donnie Yen).

I haven't seen the second film, but I will check it out.

Other great action films, which some critics called some of the best, were Police Story, Drunken Master II and another one called Fong Sai-yuk.
The sequences were comparable to the Once Upon A Time in China series.
If you like Asian action films, you should check them out.


Last edited by nameless1: 09-22-2012 at 06:11 PM.
nameless1 is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 04:23 PM
  #125
jimmythescot
Registered User
 
jimmythescot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,407
vCash: 500
I always preferred the first because the production value of it really surprised me. It felt like a real place. First time that I can think of thinking that in a historical Asian action film.

I've only seen the first Drunken Master. I'll have to check it out. I think I was tricked into thinking Drunken Tai Chi with Donnie Yen was Drunken Master 2. It was very disappointing. Especially since there was no actual action in it for some reason.

jimmythescot is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.