HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

52 Names Selected for Stanley Cup Engraving

Old
09-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
52 Names Selected for Stanley Cup Engraving

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...,5633807.story

Surprised that Bernie Nicholls, Bob Miller, Jim Fox, Nick Nickson and Daryl Evans weren't included considering how long they have been part of the Kings.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 08:14 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Loktionov, Parse, Moreau, Hunter only players not on the cup.Drewiske made the cut, which is cool. I always wondered what Lombardi said to him during the cup celebration, must have been "your name is going on the cup"

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Dawdler

Bernie not being on the Cup is a surprise and a bit of a disappointment and I think there is a rule of not having broadcasters on the Cup since they're not considered part of the team but we all know those guys are just as much a part of the Kings as the players are.

Dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

So how exactly did Westgarth get on the cup ahead of Loktionov when Loki played more games and actually played in the playoffs?

Seems harsh on Loki

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 08:57 PM
deeshamrock

I thought Terry Murray's name was going to be on there?

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 08:58 PM
EmperorPenguin

Westgarth and Drewiske seem odd and the fact their names are present and Lokti isn't leads me to believe his name wasn't even submitted. That kinda sucks.

EmperorPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 09:00 PM
EmperorPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshamrock View Post
Someone like that, the Kings would had to have asked that his name be included, that being the case the league may have said "No".

EmperorPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 09:09 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
So how exactly did Westgarth get on the cup ahead of Loktionov when Loki played more games and actually played in the playoffs?

Seems harsh on Loki
For their loyal service.Both him and Drewiske were the ultimate team guys and have been with the team much longer than Lokti, regardless of the number of game he played.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 09:19 PM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
For their loyal service.Both him and Drewiske were the ultimate team guys and have been with the team much longer than Lokti, regardless of the number of game he played.
Pretty much. Both have been with the Kings for longer than 1 season and were not in season call-ups. Probably both good locker room guys and someone has to be that 7th defenseman and 13th forward.

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
They may very likely send him a ring (and I'm sure Bernie and the broadcast team will get rings as well).

Old
09-21-2012, 09:39 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post
Pretty much. Both have been with the Kings for longer than 1 season and were not in season call-ups. Probably both good locker room guys and someone has to be that 7th defenseman and 13th forward.
I'm thinking it was a seniority thing to include the two older guys who have been around longer.

Old
09-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post

Seems harsh on Loki
Lokti did not play the required number of games during the regular season and he did not appear during the Stanley Cup Finals. He doesn't qualify. Obviously, neither did Westgarth, but the circumstances are different due to his role, age, and locker room presence. He was a member of the club throughout the whole ride, he is a full-fledge member of the team, like Drewiske, and are purely NHL players, regardless of any remarks made about their talent or purpose. There are limitations to how many names they can have on the cup, and it is quite clear that Westgarth and Drewiske belong there over Loktionov. It would be like leaving off the backup goalie or something. They are part of the team any way you slice it. It is a tough slight, but Loktionov is the odd man out.

Quote:
Not on the cup. That would be like putting Jack Johnson's name on the cup. They are buying him a ring, and he has full recognition from the organization, but they can't put his name on the cup.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 11:42 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawdler View Post
Bernie not being on the Cup is a surprise and a bit of a disappointment and I think there is a rule of not having broadcasters on the Cup since they're not considered part of the team but we all know those guys are just as much a part of the Kings as the players are.
Had to make sure I didn't read "Bernier." I know he didn't play a single minute in the playoffs but he was still on the 20-man roster in each playoff game.

Where do scratched players stay during games? We all know there's no room for inactive players on the bench unlike in other sports. Dressing room? Suites?

Last edited by Vamos Rafa: 09-21-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 01:35 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Loktionov played 41 games for the Kings. It's ridiculous his name isn't on there. Drewiske played 9.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 02:56 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Loktionov played 41 games for the Kings. It's ridiculous his name isn't on there. Drewiske played 9.
I am inclined to agree, but there is nothing that can be done now. Only 52 names can go on it and they needed a spot for Mrs. Anschutz

Edit - Puck Daddy's writeup on the situation: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...8392--nhl.html

Last edited by Telos: 09-22-2012 at 03:13 AM.
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 06:29 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Andrei Loktionov, Forward: A bit surprising. He appeared in 39 regular-season games and two playoff games for the Kings, having been with the organization since 2008. He's currently playing for Severstal Cherepovets of the KHL, which is a little awkward since he's not actually locked out by the NHL. He was assigned to Manchester of the AHL; instead he's in Russia. And, perhaps not coincidentally, he won't be on the Cup.
Bad omission. Just awful.

Hope he stays with the team. He's got promise. Perhaps he can get his name on the Cup for 2013.

09-22-2012, 09:47 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

Hope he stays with the team. He's got promise. Perhaps he can get his name on the Cup for 2013.
Loki >> Westgarth + a video coordinator(!!) really, the video guy?!

I'm kinda surprised by this omission - it's a no brainer.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 12:52 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Has Phil Anshutz ever attended a single Kings game? What the hell does his wife have to do with anything? I think the list is nonsense up for all of the above stated reasons. ALL of the players names should be first priority. And our beloved Bob Miller, a member of the Hall of Fame who has given this organization so much... I just can't believe that. wow.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 12:54 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Lokti over Drewiske is such an easy decision, I can't understand how they screwed this up

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 01:20 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Kings Drummer View Post
Has Phil Anshutz ever attended a single Kings game? What the hell does his wife have to do with anything? I think the list is nonsense up for all of the above stated reasons. ALL of the players names should be first priority. And our beloved Bob Miller, a member of the Hall of Fame who has given this organization so much... I just can't believe that. wow.
ALL of the time. He was there for virtually the entire playoffs. And his wife is the one who was in his ear about the Kings. She's a HUGE Kings fan.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
Lokti over Drewiske is such an easy decision, I can't understand how they screwed this up
Drewiske was the ultimate team player the entire season. I don't see how lokti was more valuable in any way.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

Besides the fact that Westy and Drewiske have been consummate professionals during their time on the Kings, there is probably a reason as to why Loki was left off the list and is currently playing in Russia despite the fact that he's not a locked out player.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 01:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Loktionov isn't on the Cup because he didn't play good soldier and go to the AHL. D-bag move, but he should've thought harder.

Westgarth was on the team the whole year, and is probably a 'good teammate.' Those guys get on all the time.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 01:31 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
ALL of the time. He was there for virtually the entire playoffs. And his wife is the one who was in his ear about the Kings. She's a HUGE Kings fan.
Really? I could be dead wrong but I was under the impression that uncle Phil isn't seen in public too much.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 01:47 PM
Sybil227

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Kings Drummer View Post
Really? I could be dead wrong but I was under the impression that uncle Phil isn't seen in public too much.
People just don't recognize him. But he's there an awful lot. His wife is a HUGE hockey fan & avid Kings supporter. Even if he didn't want to go, she'd probably drag him to the games.

I'm pretty upset that Terry Murray's name isn't on there. He did so much to build this team. He was handed a muddled mess of a team from Crawford and he taught them how to play defense, how to be responsible two-way players, how not to panic when you get down in a game - stick to your system and the things you do well and good things will come of it.
Leiweke even said publicly that they were lobbying for his name to be on the Cup. It should be there. He couldn't take us the entire way - but he built that foundation.
I'm all sad for him...

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote