HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-2013 Lockout Discussion Thread (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
09-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
This has to be a joke, right?

10/11 the next meeting? Are they ****ing serious?
Right around the time the season would open, and right around the time players would be receiving their first checks. Makes perfect sense to me.

Sooner or later, most people on this board will realize that $$$$$$ trumps passion for the game - on both sides.

Old
09-21-2012, 02:27 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Right around the time the season would open, and right around the time players would be receiving their first checks. Makes perfect sense to me.

Sooner or later, most people on this board will realize that $$$$$$ trumps passion for the game - on both sides.
And the will of the fans will not sway either side.

09-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

If fans were smart everyone from every NHL city would cancel their season tickets. All in a 24 hour period of time. The power is in our hands, we just decide not to use it. If your not willing to do this then just shut up and wait it out.

Don't say it can't be done either, if fans can decide to try to get a scrub defender in on the All-Star game through the internet I'm sure they could do this too.

Old
09-21-2012, 03:00 PM
Riverdale

October?

That is disgusting.

Old
09-21-2012, 03:14 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

It does suck but I'm not surprised.

It's all about the next pressure point at this point. As ****ed as it may be neither side really has an incentive to budge from their offers until games and paychecks are missed.

09-21-2012, 03:18 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdale View Post
October?

That is disgusting.
Neither side has lost anything yet.

Old
09-21-2012, 03:19 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
If fans were smart everyone from every NHL city would cancel their season tickets. All in a 24 hour period of time. The power is in our hands, we just decide not to use it. If your not willing to do this then just shut up and wait it out.

Don't say it can't be done either, if fans can decide to try to get a scrub defender in on the All-Star game through the internet I'm sure they could do this too.
Yeah and that genius move will cost you your seats when you end up at the back of the line when play resumes.

Old
09-21-2012, 03:28 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Just prepare yourself mentally for hockey to begin sometime in December/January. If you're going to check every 5 minutes for when the next meeting is scheduled,you're going to lose your mind.

Quote:
Honest to God: After Daly tells NHL lawyer that 23 of 30 NHL teams are in US, lawyer asks "how many does that leave in Canada."
https://twitter.com/SUN_TYCHKOWSKI/s...93133399752706

This attorney must have joined the NHL from Bettman's old law firm Proskauer Rose. This happened at at the Alberta Labor Board hearing today.

Old
09-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Just prepare yourself mentally for hockey to begin sometime in December/January. If you're going to check every 5 minutes for when the next meeting is scheduled,you're going to lose your mind.

This attorney must have joined the NHL from Bettman's old law firm Proskauer Rose. This happened at at the Alberta Labor Board hearing today.
That's ridiculous.

I was really hoping for 11/23 for the season opener...

Old
09-21-2012, 04:44 PM
beastly115

Quote:

This lockout is going to last forever with morons like this doing the negotiating.

Old
09-21-2012, 05:41 PM
UAGoalieGuy

What happens if labor board finds for nhlpa? That would force end off lockout, no?

Old
09-21-2012, 06:02 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
What happens if labor board finds for nhlpa? That would force end off lockout, no?
Why would the Alberta Labor Board have the power to do that?

Old
09-21-2012, 06:59 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastly115 View Post
This lockout is going to last forever with morons like this doing the negotiating.
It gives the NHLPA leverage, nothing more. It forces the Flames and Oilers to pay their Roster players. So they would be getting a salary, while no season would be played. It would piss off their owners big time, and Bettman would probably become more desperate to get a deal done.

Likewise, Bettman could just do nothing. No guarantee it would change anything.

Old
09-21-2012, 07:34 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Why would the Alberta Labor Board have the power to do that?
If they say the NHL cannot lockout the Flames and Oilers players, what is the NHL going to do? Have a two team season and lockout the remaining 28 teams?

Old
09-21-2012, 08:18 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
If they say the NHL cannot lockout the Flames and Oilers players, what is the NHL going to do? Have a two team season and lockout the remaining 28 teams?
Better chance of that than the alternative.

Old
09-22-2012, 03:51 AM
egelband

i think the players are banking on the league not allowing a full season to be lost. i know bettman has done it before, but this time around, much less is at stake and the zeitgeist is saying that the sticking point is mainly owner's greed. just my suspicion. players will be resilient and the league will smell that around Thanksgiving. Unfortunately I think it's a safe bet that hockey begins this season with the Winter Classic...

Old
09-22-2012, 04:10 AM
egelband

Quote:
i think that the ruling could set a precedent and even have a domino effect.
it's not an outlandish concept to say the lockout's illegal. in the real world, businesses can not just get together to call an end to an industry unilaterally.
it's actually pretty ****ed-up what they're doing. step back and think of what's happening.
the owners of a whole industry have gotten together to say the industry is shut and they wont pay contracts. crazy.
obviously there are mitigating factors on both sides. and i won't even try to delineate all the arguments and factors. but i think there's a very strong legal argument that a lockout is illegal. and it's certainly worth investigating.
just like the whole reserve clause was considered iron-clad at one point.

Old
09-22-2012, 06:32 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Alberta has a labor law about mediation needing to take place when there is a lockout or before they can lockout the other side. Now you read the Winter Classic isn't SO important and the NHL will cancel it. The NHL is leaking that. Most of the sports management marketing types say the WC is the most important day on the NHL schedule and the NHL is crazy if they miss another season because of labor issues. I love hockey. Love the Rangers. If they miss ANOTHER ENTIRE season,I won't be happy. Hockey is my favorite sport. Enough is enough. The NHL believes the sheep will flock back to the NHL like a bunch of junkies if they miss another year. The players are the cattle and the fans are the sheep. The NHL reads these sites. The NHL is a joke. Their arrogance is too much.

Old
09-22-2012, 07:44 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I have little hope for any hockey this season.

I don't think either side of the dispute cares enough about the sport, the league, the fans, the history.

Its strictly a business to them. And its all about the money.

I love hockey, i love the Rangers, i love the NHL and the Stanley Cup, the history that goes with it all.

But this current regime, to me, is not representative of the things i love about our sport.

Bettman needs to go. There needs to be more hockey minds in charge. Men AND Women who eat, sleep, ****, and live hockey. They can hire economic advisors and lawyers to advise them on all the business ****.

Women need to be involved, there needs to be a professional Women's league in the US assosiated with the NHL. People with daughters who are interested in hockey need something that will inspire their daughters just like the NHL inspires their sons.

The problem is that the NHL is currently ran by weasley lawyers. Id rather Lou Lam, Mess, Gretz, and even Mario run things. Guys who know the game.

Bettman and his cronies need to go. Fehr needs to go. They all do.

And the inmates can't be allowed to run the asylum, either. The PA has too much power. Just as the owners do. There needs to be a series of checks in place to prevent this **** from happening.

Maybe its time the IIHF steps in and has a say.

Old
09-22-2012, 08:17 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Bettman says he calls every owners to update them on the talks. Dolan must be a ton of fun on those calls. He lost home dates in the NBA lockout last season. The Rangers look like they will play deep in the spring again and now there's a NHL lockout. Dolan spent almost a billlion dollars out of his pocket and he is missed out on revenue. 41 home dates.

Old
09-22-2012, 08:19 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Big owners need to get together to try and squash this ****.

Please, someone with some brains do something to de-rail this thing.

Old
09-22-2012, 09:21 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Bettman says he calls every owners to update them on the talks. Dolan must be a ton of fun on those calls. He lost home dates in the NBA lockout last season. The Rangers look like they will play deep in the spring again and now there's a NHL lockout. Dolan spent almost a billlion dollars out of his pocket and he is missed out on revenue. 41 home dates.
I believe Dolan would have a lot of sway if he steps out and does something. The NHL is nothing without the Rangers. And they know it.

Old
09-22-2012, 09:42 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I believe Dolan would have a lot of sway if he steps out and does something. The NHL is nothing without the Rangers. And they know it.
What would you suggest he do?

Old
09-22-2012, 10:08 AM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

It's infuriating that these millionaire adults aren't meeting everyday to try to come to some kind of agreement. It's a ****ing pissing contest is all.

Old
09-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
What would you suggest he do?
He can ***** and moan until Bettman cracks.

And if he doesnt, he can take the Rangers and the only other teams that "matter" and reform the original 6. Im sure the owners and the players would be happy to play for pennies on the dollar of what they were originally making, because its all about the game.

In all seriousness, I get a kick out of the pious baloney from fans. You could replace all of the owners, the NHLPA leaders, and Bettman...their replacements would eventually fall into the same traps. Its systemic. And it happens in every industry in every walk of life every day. The almighty dollar rules all.

Closed Thread