HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Kristo will fit nicely with the Habs and Montréal (suspended 1 game)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-22-2012, 10:05 AM
  #101
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man
 
Dirty Danglez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,872
vCash: 500
People got to stop making excuses for this kid in terms of focus. He's not focused right now about hockey, and no one can deny that. He gets injured for being idiotic, gets suspended for being idiotic... gets suspended again for a separate affair that was probably idiotic.

No one is denying his speed, talent and (slow) progression on the ice... but he just seems like too much of a wild card off it. He will probably play in the NHL, but it doesn't mean we should brush off his stupid antics cause "he's young and in college".

He's a young NHL prospect in college... act like it!

Dirty Danglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 10:21 AM
  #102
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
People got to stop making excuses for this kid in terms of focus. He's not focused right now about hockey, and no one can deny that. He gets injured for being idiotic, gets suspended for being idiotic... gets suspended again for a separate affair that was probably idiotic.

No one is denying his speed, talent and (slow) progression on the ice... but he just seems like too much of a wild card off it. He will probably play in the NHL, but it doesn't mean we should brush off his stupid antics cause "he's young and in college".

He's a young NHL prospect in college... act like it!
I think the people less inclined to pass judgment aren't making excuses so much as realising that they don't know the situation based on a couple of headlines. And that as much as one might not want to see these sorts of headlines attached to a prospect, they may be entirely inconsequential and may not reflect reality all that much.

Frankly, I prefer that approach to making absolute statements about an individual's mindset and focus when I've never interacted with them, nor known anyone who has interacted with them. Evidently, you're at ease in making such judgments, which is continually strange to me.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 02:11 PM
  #103
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I think the people less inclined to pass judgment aren't making excuses so much as realising that they don't know the situation based on a couple of headlines. And that as much as one might not want to see these sorts of headlines attached to a prospect, they may be entirely inconsequential and may not reflect reality all that much.

Frankly, I prefer that approach to making absolute statements about an individual's mindset and focus when I've never interacted with them, nor known anyone who has interacted with them. Evidently, you're at ease in making such judgments, which is continually strange to me.
You're being extremely needlessly passive in this situation. It's not a Russell's Teapot scenario here where the onus is on us to prove anything.

We can infer simple things and do so within reason. Just like the fans who watch enough hockey can apply their knowledge and critically assess why some play on the ice is failing or why some teams just seem to dominate others - we can also apply reason to fill in the proverbial blanks here. When a Euro player gives an incendiary interview in his native tongue all his defenders will be quick to say that there was miscommunication or a mistranslation and that we can't definitively accept what was in the report. That's reasonable doubt and it's fair to say so (though very easy to argue against, but that's another discussion) when there are SEVERAL examples of Kristo on the receiving end of suspensions there isn't really a cloud of unknowns - we can simply figure out what's what. We're mostly all collegiates or recent grads and we're aware that in the age of twitter some things are over-reported and some things are just natural but only recently really "a big deal". Underage drinking and partying for example. We're all human and some of us are even alcoholics (see: my username).

No one is saying that he's a bad guy - because you're right, we don't know him... but that's the extend of your argument. Because it is entirely fair, as Habs fans, to think that he's a bad/rotten prospect due to the circumstances in which he places himself.

Also take note that I'm not flying off the handle due to some sensationalist headline - these are the simple facts:
  • He's on his fourth season in the NCAA, which is definitively longer than most players choose to stay in that league.
  • He's been suspended from playing at least THREE times.
  • He's been suspended for underage drinking. That means he's been CAUGHT drinking underage AT LEAST once.
  • He missed a portion of a vital career-developing season due to frostbite when he was stuck outside after-hours (I won't say it was a party or there was drinking involved but...)
  • There were fears that he might need an amputation because of said injury.
  • He went against athletic policy and school policy in such a way that ruffled enough feathers to warrant a suspension for the season opening game.
  • He has just recently been suspended for ANOTHER game for an unrelated and unreported matter.

Now you tell me, am I wrong for thinking that given the above FACTS Danny Kristo is not a good prospect? There's a certain baseline for work ethic and dedication and sacrifice that every current and former NHLer will speak about. John Tavares and Crosby are two idealized examples of such steadfast dedication.

Marc Bergevin went out on record and said that he has to make the right decisions if he wants to make it to the NHL. That's as definitive as an NHL GM can get without throwing a prospect under the bus; he's saying that the decisions Danny Kristo has made thus far are NOT the way to make it to the NHL and that he is running out of time. Running out of time because he's going to be 23 by the time this season ends and because he has not come any closer to really evolving his game.

I don't like this prospect and I think he embarrasses our team. I think that he's probably going to leave us as a UFA after this season and sign with Minnesota which makes me dislike him even more.

If I'm wrong I'll openly admit it and I'll even quote myself.

[if anybody is going to respond be sure to recognize that KRISTO WAS SUSPENDED FOR A SUBSEQUENT GAME FOR AN UNRELATED REASON. THAT IS TO SAY: KRISTO WAS SUSPENDED FOR TWO GAMES FOR TWO DIFFERENT INCIDENTS IN THE SAME WEEK.]


Last edited by WhiskeySeven: 09-22-2012 at 02:18 PM.
WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 03:31 PM
  #104
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
We can infer simple things and do so within reason. Just like the fans who watch enough hockey can apply their knowledge and critically assess why some play on the ice is failing or why some teams just seem to dominate others - we can also apply reason to fill in the proverbial blanks here.
This is a strange analogy. We can critically assess what transpires on ice because we're seeing it. There's very little 'filling in the blanks' needed. When it comes to headlines -- which is pretty much all we've been privy to -- we're not merely filling in the blanks so much as writing the story ourselves. And I see no need to do that.

The extent of my argument isn't that we don't know him. It's that we don't know the situation, we don't know his level of dedication, and frankly, we don't know anything about how this relates to his commitment or work ethic or focus. To infer that Kristo's somehow lacking in focus and commitment because he's had problems is a reach. For all we know, he's an incredibly intense individual who's workout fiend and lets off a lot of steam when he's not on the ice. And that'd be fine by me--and by most hockey people, too.

...

As far as that list goes, and deducing that Kristo's a poor prospect because of it ... well, you're free to think that way. To me, it has nothing to do with his quality as a prospect. This whole notion of a baseline of dedication: again, that hasn't been proven or disproven in Kristo's circumstance. There've been numerous occasions of NHLers partying and drinking during the playoffs (not referring to the non-event of the Russians in Nashville).

...

Frankly, I don't think you know this prospect, understand much about the NCAA, know much about prospect development, or understand UFA rules. Kristo's not going to leave after this season as a UFA and sign in Minnesota (which has evidently made you pre-emptively dislike him) because he's not able to. I don't mean this as an insult towards you, but rather you've entered this discussion with an emotional bias that you've re-affirmed in every post. And that emotional bias is predictably based on several false premises.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 03:56 PM
  #105
S Bah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: victoria bc
Country: Wales
Posts: 4,566
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
My question to you, is why would you make a statement about Kristo when you clearly don't know what the rules are. I'm just curious as to why people on this site make statements when they don't even know what the rules are, wouldn't it be better to ask what the rules are first so you know before making statements.

So often on this board over the years I continue to see people say this or that about prospects when they clearly don't even know what the rules are, which imo makes it hard to take someone seriously. I know this is directed at you but I want to address this to everyone since I can't count the number of times I've read various posters state incorrect facts.


Here's how it works in the NCAA. If you are drafted and at going to play in the NCAA there are two things that happen. One, the player goes directly to the NCAA the following season after being drafted. This is known as being a true Freshman, and the NHL team has to sign you after the player completes 4 years, he must be signed before August 15th or he will become a UFA. The second thing that can happen is instead of going directly to the NCAA, said draft pick spends the following season after being drafted outside of the NCAA. This could be any league that isn't considered pro by the NCAA, so USHL, USHS, BCHL, etc.... Once that happens, there is a loop hole that after said players 3rd season in the NCAA he can opt to become a UFA on July 1st but in order to due so he has to do two things, one is he must inform the NHL team that selected him that he wishes to become a UFA, he must due so before June 1st. The second is that he will let the school know that he will not be returning to the NCAA for his senior year.

If a NCAA draft pick that is eligible to become a UFA after their junior year opts NOT to become a UFA, then that loop hole is forever closed, meaning he can only sign with the team that drafted him and can NOT become a UFA unless of course the NHL team in question doesn't want to sign him. So Kristo has no options but to sign with the Habs, unless of course he wants out of hockey, maybe to run his own bar. If he wants to play in the NHL he has to sign with the Habs.

Here's the list of players that can opt out of signing with the Habs after their Junior year,

Mac Bennett- (Junior) He can opt out as long as he informs the Habs before June 1st, 2013, if he doesn't do so by then he can only sign with the Habs.

Mark MacMillan- (Sophmore) He can opt out as long as he informs the Habs before June 1st, 2014, if he doesn't do so by then he can only sign with the Habs.

Colin Sullivan- (Freshman) He can opt out as long as he informs the Habs before June 1st, 2015, if he doesn't do so by then he can only sign with the Habs.

The remaining NCAA draft picks, Dustin Walsh, Danny Kristo, Mike Cichy, and Josiah Didier all can NOT use the loop hole so they can only sign with the Habs.
Well put Montreal.On another topic the rights of the individual to partake in socializing.While in college hmmm... Girls Gone Wild of course they will never have boyfriends or husbands after going feral. Danny Kristo will sign at the end of this season with the Habs and join former linemate Louis Leblanc and Blake Geoffrion forming a 3rd line (Energy)just my opinion,a very talented line capable of disrupting the flow of the oppositions best lines.I cannot fathom how some people can be so Pius and assume that a persons career can fall to ruins over silly suspensions given due to antiquated school rules.When one considers the age and cost to these young adults in college,they have some gall trying to run their lives 24/7.Some earn scholarships that pay their tuition,imagine the amount of hours spent training to receive Kristo's.So let's not dream up reasons to allow petty personal attacks upon someone else when there are mirrors enough for all of us to find criticism.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 04:08 PM
  #106
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man
 
Dirty Danglez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I think the people less inclined to pass judgment aren't making excuses so much as realising that they don't know the situation based on a couple of headlines. And that as much as one might not want to see these sorts of headlines attached to a prospect, they may be entirely inconsequential and may not reflect reality all that much.

Frankly, I prefer that approach to making absolute statements about an individual's mindset and focus when I've never interacted with them, nor known anyone who has interacted with them. Evidently, you're at ease in making such judgments, which is continually strange to me.
These arn't just headlines... the fact of the matter is he got suspended for two separate occasions. That's happened, we can agree? Can we also agree that he froze his toe in the snow and missed out on some games (key to development since they play so little in the NCAA).

The reality is that he got suspended twice... which means he did something wrong twice, whether what they say he did in the headlines are true or not. He did something wrong in order to get the punishment. I'm not saying he won't make it to the NHL, I'm saying that I think this kid has his priorities mixed up, because of the facts. Not many top prospects get into trouble like he has, and there is a reason for that.

You may think you have a superior analysis of the situation, but honestly you don't. I just don't get how people keep making excuses for the kid when the facts are out that he's been getting into trouble?

Dirty Danglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 04:19 PM
  #107
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
These arn't just headlines... the fact of the matter is he got suspended for two separate occasions. That's happened, we can agree? Can we also agree that he froze his toe in the snow and missed out on some games (key to development since they play so little in the NCAA).

The reality is that he got suspended twice... which means he did something wrong twice, whether what they say he did in the headlines are true or not. He did something wrong in order to get the punishment. I'm not saying he won't make it to the NHL, I'm saying that I think this kid has his priorities mixed up, because of the facts. Not many top prospects get into trouble like he has, and there is a reason for that.

You may think you have a superior analysis of the situation, but honestly you don't. I just don't get how people keep making excuses for the kid when the facts are out that he's been getting into trouble?
I thought he was suspended three times?

Anyway, I don't understand what your point was in this post. It seems like you're reiterating what you (and others) have said previously. And then you add some strange comments, like saying: "you may think you have a superior analysis of the situation, but honestly you don't." I appreciate your will to inform me of the reality, but it's quite the opposite: I'm freely admitting to my, and all of our, ignorance of the situation. You, on the other hand, seem to want to pass judgment and write the story of how he lacks dedication.

As I mentioned, there's no excuses from my part -- just an unwillingness to presume Kristo lacks commitment.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 04:34 PM
  #108
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
This is a strange analogy. We can critically assess what transpires on ice because we're seeing it. There's very little 'filling in the blanks' needed. When it comes to headlines -- which is pretty much all we've been privy to -- we're not merely filling in the blanks so much as writing the story ourselves. And I see no need to do that.

The extent of my argument isn't that we don't know him. It's that we don't know the situation, we don't know his level of dedication, and frankly, we don't know anything about how this relates to his commitment or work ethic or focus. To infer that Kristo's somehow lacking in focus and commitment because he's had problems is a reach. For all we know, he's an incredibly intense individual who's workout fiend and lets off a lot of steam when he's not on the ice. And that'd be fine by me--and by most hockey people, too.

...

As far as that list goes, and deducing that Kristo's a poor prospect because of it ... well, you're free to think that way. To me, it has nothing to do with his quality as a prospect. This whole notion of a baseline of dedication: again, that hasn't been proven or disproven in Kristo's circumstance. There've been numerous occasions of NHLers partying and drinking during the playoffs (not referring to the non-event of the Russians in Nashville).

...

Frankly, I don't think you know this prospect, understand much about the NCAA, know much about prospect development, or understand UFA rules. Kristo's not going to leave after this season as a UFA and sign in Minnesota (which has evidently made you pre-emptively dislike him) because he's not able to. I don't mean this as an insult towards you, but rather you've entered this discussion with an emotional bias that you've re-affirmed in every post. And that emotional bias is predictably based on several false premises.
You're completely ignoring my arguments here and even added some strawmen arguments to boot. Let's try to come to an understanding here: in your opinion, what is so good about Kristo? Now now, don't tell me that since we don't know that he's a fitness freak that he could very well be a fitness freak. That's not a proof. I have no interest in arguing in speculation which is why it's very weak and transparent when you keep sidestepping the fact inherent in these "headlines" which you keep dismissing.

Facts aren't speculation, my list there above is [to the best of my knowledge] factual and not speculative. Are you saying that those events in which Kristo's personal hockey development, health and academic standing were jeopardized by Kristo himself do not indicate a certain carelessness about his career and status as a prospect? Or the fact that there is an overwhelming mountain of evidence that prospects by and large have difficulty making it after graduating from college leagues (hey look, you dug up the info yourself in that very informative post - which is in clear distinction with the one I'm quoting here because you're pulling out every high-school level deflection debate technique in the book).

Look, we don't have to know Kristo. Just like we didn't know Jacques Martin or didn't know Pierre Gauthier but that didn't stop anyone from calling them boring, uptight, arrogant, etc. We do that, because we're fans. You're applying a very, very high bar here when you say that we can't infer anything about anyone because we don't know them personally.

Are you really going as far as to suggest that we can't infer that he is less-than-dedicated to making the NHL given the above facts? Really? Then what can we infer, if ever? What's the point of having any discussions ever if we can't apply some sort of critical assessment on our own part. If anything I know less about on-ice play than I do about college kids partying in their spare time.

So what's your evidence that Kristo is a stellar athlete and a beast and a dedicated hockey player?

And don't say that I have false premises when your entire argument is that since the facts don't measure up to your level of scrutiny they are ineligible and false. Your suggested level of scrutiny is unrealistic and you know it. Going off about my [lack of] knowledge about prospect development is arrogant and silly especially when you're turning such a blind eye to a prospect being so ****ing careless and pathetic in his development.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 04:37 PM
  #109
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
As I mentioned, there's no excuses from my part -- just an unwillingness to presume Kristo lacks commitment.
That's exactly where you're wrong. You're asserting that since you don't know enough to pass a judgement call others are wrong for doing so. Keep it to yourself then, it's pretty clear he's a longshot prospect from here.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 05:03 PM
  #110
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,296
vCash: 500
You can have a discussion without passing judgments and/or making absolute statements (Like he's a wasted prospect). Only purpose of making absolutes is to further advance your ideals and cement and approve your personal biases as being "true".

it's not easy, because then your discussion actually needs some more info, and you would actually have to retrive it, by following set prospect. In this case, you want to spew out your opinion, which anyone who has read this thread can do, instead of getting involved in this prospect that "seems" to interest you. But that's alot of work, much easier to just "pass judgment" and formulate your opinion through set judgment.

Basically, all the dedication he has spent all his life to get where he is, has now been void by a few off ice issues. Which is false, because of lack of info you and others have on this terrible correlation.


Last edited by uiCk: 09-22-2012 at 05:09 PM.
uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 05:08 PM
  #111
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
You're completely ignoring my arguments here and even added some strawmen arguments to boot.
What strawman argument? I don't think I'm ignoring any of your arguments. To be frank, I'm not here to win a discussion.

As for your question, which you felt the need to ask repeatedly (part a: what is so good about Kristo?; part b: So what's your evidence that Kristo is a stellar athlete and a beast and a dedicated hockey player? ): I never said that he was a good or great prospect. I never offered my opinion of him as a player since that's not an issue for discussion here. And that's my point: nothing in these series of headlines tell me anything about him as a hockey player.

To your claim that 'facts aren't speculation': sure. That Kristo has been suspended is a fact. Your list was composed of facts. They're not facts pertaining to Kristo the hockey player, though. Nor are they facts that provide substantiation to the assertion that Kristo lacks focus or commitment, in my opinion. And this is the essence of our disagreement: when presented with these facts, I view them as inconsequential unless I know more; you view them as grounds to speculate (fill in the blanks). You feel justified to do this because you're a fan (right?). I don't. You feel like you're critically analysing the situation, whereas I call it speculating. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

If I'm right on the above and not misrepresenting your views, then I don't think you're necessarily wrong to hold those views.

...

As far as claiming that there exists a 'mountain of evidence' that prospects have difficulty making it after graduating from college leagues: where do you get that from? It's certainly not from my post.

And, I don't particularly enjoy you claiming that my post is high school deflection, so I suppose I'll stop this response now. Unlike a high schooler, I don't enjoy wasting time in discussions heading down that path.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 05:28 PM
  #112
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,686
vCash: 500
The only facts, real facts, we know are: he got suspended twice in one week for two unrelated incidents and his pro boss tells the media that he needs to get his act together.

I haven't seen him play, nor do I care seeing him until he gets to be a pro. Right now, he's an overaged student in a league vastly inferior to any respectable pro league.

And the ACTUAL facts tell me he needs some serious pro hockey counselling.

He maybe a solid talent. Really, prospects of his ilk have come and gone in ALL pro ranks over the years, either because of not getting their acts together, either because of recurring injuries or for various reasons. He's not alone.

It is ironic that the guy who was playing second fiddle to him on his USHL team will probably be playing with the Habs BECAUSE of his commitment to succeed.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 06:27 PM
  #113
Dr. Charles
Registered User
 
Dr. Charles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cracktown
Country: Canada
Posts: 733
vCash: 500
It's unrelated, but people kicked out Ribeiro for less headlines than this kid has already.

Dr. Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 06:33 PM
  #114
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Charles View Post
It's unrelated, but people kicked out Ribeiro for less headlines than this kid has already.
Riberio got the boot for many different reasons, and if by people you mean fans, no we didn't kick him out. And at the same time, people complained about him being a cancer in the locker room, and then you had the people that complained that management should of "dealt" with his problems and exploit his on ice skills.
I rather be on neither side IMO.

And he didn't get the boot from off ice uses, the issues seemed to have stemmed from inside the locker room; battle for top center with Koivu around, etc

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 07:26 AM
  #115
Dada
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 305
vCash: 500
2nd time in the same week, he's molded for Montreal

Dada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 07:41 AM
  #116
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
Riberio got the boot for many different reasons, and if by people you mean fans, no we didn't kick him out. And at the same time, people complained about him being a cancer in the locker room, and then you had the people that complained that management should of "dealt" with his problems and exploit his on ice skills.
I rather be on neither side IMO.

And he didn't get the boot from off ice uses, the issues seemed to have stemmed from inside the locker room; battle for top center with Koivu around, etc
Exactly. And why the *&*** are we still talking about that bum ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 07:46 AM
  #117
Mats86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
My question to you, is why would you make a statement about Kristo when you clearly don't know what the rules are. I'm just curious as to why people on this site make statements when they don't even know what the rules are, wouldn't it be better to ask what the rules are first so you know before making statements.

So often on this board over the years I continue to see people say this or that about prospects when they clearly don't even know what the rules are, which imo makes it hard to take someone seriously. I know this is directed at you but I want to address this to everyone since I can't count the number of times I've read various posters state incorrect facts.


Here's how it works in the NCAA. If you are drafted and at going to play in the NCAA there are two things that happen. One, the player goes directly to the NCAA the following season after being drafted. This is known as being a true Freshman, and the NHL team has to sign you after the player completes 4 years, he must be signed before August 15th or he will become a UFA. The second thing that can happen is instead of going directly to the NCAA, said draft pick spends the following season after being drafted outside of the NCAA. This could be any league that isn't considered pro by the NCAA, so USHL, USHS, BCHL, etc.... Once that happens, there is a loop hole that after said players 3rd season in the NCAA he can opt to become a UFA on July 1st but in order to due so he has to do two things, one is he must inform the NHL team that selected him that he wishes to become a UFA, he must due so before June 1st. The second is that he will let the school know that he will not be returning to the NCAA for his senior year.

If a NCAA draft pick that is eligible to become a UFA after their junior year opts NOT to become a UFA, then that loop hole is forever closed, meaning he can only sign with the team that drafted him and can NOT become a UFA unless of course the NHL team in question doesn't want to sign him. So Kristo has no options but to sign with the Habs, unless of course he wants out of hockey, maybe to run his own bar. If he wants to play in the NHL he has to sign with the Habs.

Here's the list of players that can opt out of signing with the Habs after their Junior year,

Mac Bennett- (Junior) He can opt out as long as he informs the Habs before June 1st, 2013, if he doesn't do so by then he can only sign with the Habs.

Mark MacMillan- (Sophmore) He can opt out as long as he informs the Habs before June 1st, 2014, if he doesn't do so by then he can only sign with the Habs.

Colin Sullivan- (Freshman) He can opt out as long as he informs the Habs before June 1st, 2015, if he doesn't do so by then he can only sign with the Habs.

The remaining NCAA draft picks, Dustin Walsh, Danny Kristo, Mike Cichy, and Josiah Didier all can NOT use the loop hole so they can only sign with the Habs.
Do we get a compensation pick like with Fischer if Kristo opts out?

Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 08:58 AM
  #118
Erik Estrada
One Country United!
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Land of the Habs
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,682
vCash: 500
There's a certain part of this that's normal. I could give the story of many players in their early careers that had off-ice issues. But right now, I'm polishing off a Messier biographie by Jeff Z. Klein. It's about Mark Messier aka "the greatest leader in history".

First year of pro hockey:
"He was a kid who suddenly had all the money, and he didn't handle himself very well... He's a good lad, too, but he likes to party... he wasn't handling his big money and freedom at Cincinnati all that well. He's much better than his point total with the Stingers show." (Edmonton Sun)

First season with the Oilers:
"As he would soon demonstrate, however he'd be expending a lot more than just one percent of his effort on having fun.."

"Off the ice and in the company of his friends on the already close-kit Oilers, Messier was having a good time, with a vengeance. A couple of years later he would admit that he went out when the lights went on and came home when they went off..."

(Kevin) Lowe described the early Messier, the party animal, in terms that deftly tiptoe around specifics: "We had some great times, to say the least... Mark loves to have a good time. He and I probably went out on the town a little more than Wayne..''


''...Messier was very much the club-hopping hellion in need of discipline that first season.''

Messier missed his plane for St-Louis (not bus) with the Oilers to go to a game (not practice, not pre-season).
"Mark headed for the nearest phone and called Bruce Mac Gregor, who by now was assisting (Sather) in the front office. ''I missed the flight to St. Louis" Mark announced.
"That's all right,' MacGregor replied. "I have one for you'
''Good,' said Mark with the utmost naiveté. 'Can I catch the team'
"MacGregor paused momentarily. 'Yeah, you can catch the team. But the team you're catching is the Houston Apollos.''


He was demoted. Later after he was back with the Oilers for a while, Sather almost demoted him again:
''If he wanted to stay with the Oilers, Sather told him, he would have to get his head back into the game and cool down his social life. He was to be home at night, subject to bed checks.''

"Messier had a stubborn streak...and Sather's ultimatum, apparently was almost too much for him to take... (Messier) did not react as quickly to this lecture as Sather might have hoped. In fact, as he was to say later, he gave very serious thought to shoving the whole business and devoting his youth to enjoying himself.''


Last edited by Erik Estrada: 09-23-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 01:00 PM
  #119
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
He's a good hockey player, but he doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed.

I wonder why he got another suspension.
Looks like he's having a rough week, getting suspended twice isn't a good way to kick off his final year of college hockey. Hopefully it's a wake up call to him as the coaching staff does not mess around (his coach was named top coach in the WCHA last year, runs a tight ship from what i've heard, lots of rumors about NHL teams interested in him) I would tend to agree that Kristo is not the sharpest tool in the shed, lucky for him he can be a very exciting player to watch.

I should be able to find out what the 2nd suspension is for as I have some contacts at ND that usually can provide good info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Hey look, Whiskey's right yet again.

edit: This kid is more focused on college life than professional hockey. If he wasn't our prospect I wouldn't give the slightest damn, but he is our prospect and we wasted a draft pick (and spot at development camp for more worthy and deserving kids) on him.
I wouldn't call him a wasted draft pick, seems silly to do so as he was one of the top players in the NCAA last year and his line was easily one of the best lines in all of college hocky in large part to his play. Clearly the kid is more focused on college life then pro hockey but there's nothing wrong with wanting to stay in school as i'm sure he's having a good time. After this season he'll be a pro hockey player and then we'll see what he can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
People got to stop making excuses for this kid in terms of focus. He's not focused right now about hockey, and no one can deny that. He gets injured for being idiotic, gets suspended for being idiotic... gets suspended again for a separate affair that was probably idiotic.

No one is denying his speed, talent and (slow) progression on the ice... but he just seems like too much of a wild card off it. He will probably play in the NHL, but it doesn't mean we should brush off his stupid antics cause "he's young and in college".

He's a young NHL prospect in college... act like it!
I don't think anyone is making excuses for him in terms of focus. Personally I don't see a big deal with him doing stupid college things like drinking, which go on in every college all the time. What matters is what he does when he turns pro, and while you don't want to see him doing stupid things, it's up to management to figure out if it's a real concern or not since they will be privy to more details then anyone here.

Timmins liked him enough to make Kristo our 1st pick of the '08 draft, and while every 1st pick he's made for us has gone on to have his fair share of problems after being drafted, the results sure are looking good so hopefully for the Habs sake Kristo turns into something good for us in time. If not oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
You can have a discussion without passing judgments and/or making absolute statements (Like he's a wasted prospect). Only purpose of making absolutes is to further advance your ideals and cement and approve your personal biases as being "true".

it's not easy, because then your discussion actually needs some more info, and you would actually have to retrive it, by following set prospect. In this case, you want to spew out your opinion, which anyone who has read this thread can do, instead of getting involved in this prospect that "seems" to interest you. But that's alot of work, much easier to just "pass judgment" and formulate your opinion through set judgment.

Basically, all the dedication he has spent all his life to get where he is, has now been void by a few off ice issues. Which is false, because of lack of info you and others have on this terrible correlation.
I think that's a very good way of putting it. You and Mike8 both seem to understand the situation and have made good points. I agree 100% about having a discussion without passing judgments and/or making absolute statements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
The only facts, real facts, we know are: he got suspended twice in one week for two unrelated incidents and his pro boss tells the media that he needs to get his act together.

I haven't seen him play, nor do I care seeing him until he gets to be a pro. Right now, he's an overaged student in a league vastly inferior to any respectable pro league.

And the ACTUAL facts tell me he needs some serious pro hockey counselling.

He maybe a solid talent. Really, prospects of his ilk have come and gone in ALL pro ranks over the years, either because of not getting their acts together, either because of recurring injuries or for various reasons. He's not alone.

It is ironic that the guy who was playing second fiddle to him on his USHL team will probably be playing with the Habs BECAUSE of his commitment to succeed.
While he's night and day to Leblanc, Kristo should play in the NHL based off his speed and skill. It's too bad he's not more like Leblanc who seems very serious about his career whereas Kristo likely enjoys having a little too much fun from what i've heard. It's nothing new to hear hockey players like to drink and party, hopefully he can mature a bit over the next couple of years but if not he'll likely end up some other teams problem by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Charles View Post
It's unrelated, but people kicked out Ribeiro for less headlines than this kid has already.
Things that Rieiro did, didn't make the headlines but if true were much worse then anything Kristo has gotten in trouble for. I don't see the need to bring up Ribs though, this has nothing to do with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Do we get a compensation pick like with Fischer if Kristo opts out?
No, Kristo was our 1st pick but in the 2nd round so we don't get any comp pick if the Habs opt not to sign him. Kristo can NOT opt out, he had to of done so before June 1st, which he didn't so now can't.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 10:26 AM
  #120
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,298
vCash: 500
So more details have come out in regards to the team suspending the captain and the assistants (Kristo), two Freshman on the team ended up in the hospital as the paramedics had to be called in and 4 Freshman were cited for underage drinking. The players are lucky that things didn't end up going very badly as instead of getting them help they carried the passed out Freshman to their dorm rooms but the RA saw how bad of shape they were in and called 911. Not very smart of the older players, so no wonder the team leaders were suspended.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 12:10 PM
  #121
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
So more details have come out in regards to the team suspending the captain and the assistants (Kristo), two Freshman on the team ended up in the hospital as the paramedics had to be called in and 4 Freshman were cited for underage drinking. The players are lucky that things didn't end up going very badly as instead of getting them help they carried the passed out Freshman to their dorm rooms but the RA saw how bad of shape they were in and called 911. Not very smart of the older players, so no wonder the team leaders were suspended.
Thanks for taking the time to update us.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 12:57 PM
  #122
Seb
Unregistered User
 
Seb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Ireland
Posts: 6,849
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Seb
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...h-caution.html

Say whatever you want, Kristo needs to be more careful. The habs crew better watch him closely.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 01:32 PM
  #123
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man
 
Dirty Danglez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...h-caution.html

Say whatever you want, Kristo needs to be more careful. The habs crew better watch him closely.
This. Its not normal for a prospect of his calibre to get into trouble this often

Dirty Danglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 01:50 PM
  #124
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,951
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...h-caution.html

Say whatever you want, Kristo needs to be more careful. The habs crew better watch him closely.
Well there is some solace to be taken in the fact that he wasn't directly involved in the events leading to the first suspension. I'm fine with the fact that Kristo, as a captain, got disciplined for not setting a better example...but really, this is like you getting in trouble because your little brother drank too much at a party. Not the end of the world.

The second suspension is a little more concerning. I'd be interested to hear what montreal can dig up.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 05:44 AM
  #125
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,165
vCash: 500
Just funny to read Kristo tweets especially after the events that took place.....he either now sees the light....or is just totally unaware of what just happened....Doesn't make him a worst prospect....but there's clearly a whole lot of maturity to happen here.

"Rise and grind! Do everything today a little better than you did yesterday. Visualize your values. Realize your goals. Believe in yourself"

https://twitter.com/dkristo7/status/251269255801221120

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.