HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Andrei Kostitsyn signs with Traktor Chelyabinsk (KHL)

Old
09-16-2012, 06:38 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
One will be in the NHL, the other will not.
You seriously used that?

Darche was in NHL last year, anyone who wasn't isn't as good as him.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 06:40 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
Considering the fact that AK was thought of as a reclamation project over anything else it kinda does make sense.
There was already the incident in the Montreal news paper about him and his brother and the mishap there, along with the Playoff thing with Nashville.

The Pens offered AK 2 years at 2 per, which is a solid offer when you consider the team and where they should place in the standings.

I said many a time I'd have given him 2 years at 3 per. Even gone as high 3.5 if that's what was needed.
It's a terrible one actually. He's should get a 16 mil 4 year deal IMO. Based on UFA signings.

Old
09-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Avim86

Quote:
Not really...him signing in the KHL this season has no barring on his future...especially if he does well there. If there is no season this year and AK rejoins the NHL next season then I guess your statement will become false. Anyways the point is I'd take Andrei Kostitsyn at 27 years old at Bourque current cap hit 3.333 x 4 seasons over Bourque any day...

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Avim86

Quote:
Not really...him signing in the KHL this season has no barring on his future...especially if he does well there. If there is no season this year and AK rejoins the NHL next season then I guess your statement will become false. Anyways the point is I'd take Andrei Kostitsyn at 27 years old giving him between 3.5-4M rather then Bourque 3.333 x 4 seasons any day...

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 11:24 PM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
It's a terrible one actually. He's should get a 16 mil 4 year deal IMO. Based on UFA signings.
So you're saying a guy who has never been to the Stanley Cup finals should not sign with a Cup contender whose home to 2 of the worlds best players because slightly comparable players have received more during their UFA time?

If I had a choice between playing on Crosby's team over any other and it was for 2 million less, well I'd accept to have my name forever etched into the most prized trophy in all of sports than squabble about 2 million.
But I guess when money rules your life over the glory and immortal knowing of ones accomplishments, than I may see where you get that idea.

Different views come different agendas

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:03 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
So you're saying a guy who has never been to the Stanley Cup finals should not sign with a Cup contender whose home to 2 of the worlds best players because slightly comparable players have received more during their UFA time?

If I had a choice between playing on Crosby's team over any other and it was for 2 million less, well I'd accept to have my name forever etched into the most prized trophy in all of sports than squabble about 2 million.
But I guess when money rules your life over the glory and immortal knowing of ones accomplishments, than I may see where you get that idea.

What are you rambling about? You offered him half of what he's worth. Besides, is AK the missing piece? Will his name be on a cup just because Crosby and Malkin play in pittsburgh? Please. The pens are always contenders, no doubt about it, but making it sound like they'd win and he's taking a paycut for the cup is a joke.

Why do crosby and malkin get 8.7 per? Why didn't martin take a paycut? Why don't they all make 50% less? These guys are crying over 7% and you suggest giving AK 50% less of what he's worth(minus whatever the new CBA brings)? Be reasonable.

3 mil? Sure. 2.5 on a 1 year, sure. 2 mil per for 2 years? Bolting to russia, cya next year.

Old
09-17-2012, 01:27 AM
LBC Vapo*

Quote:
sorry, i guess i missed when all other UFAs had a highly publicized healthy scratching during the playoffs, resulting in their team's GM giving a press statement declaring it was a mistake to get them.

LBC Vapo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:43 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I dont thino it is really a character issue or a "heart" issue. I think coaches and management value consistency more than most fans realize. They want to know what they are going to get from a player from shift to shift and game to game. You don't get that from Kostitsyn and you don't get it from Semin. It has nothibg to do with where they are from. Minnesota native Peter Mueller has the same issue. Same goes for Wojtek Wolski from Ontario. Kovalev could get away with being inconsistent because he was such a tremendous net positive. Semin is too. Kostitsyn is only a minor net positive or barely break even player. It's why he doesn't have an NHL job, when less talented, more dependable players do.

09-17-2012, 07:59 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I think AK *could be* worth $4M per, but given how his season in general went, I think it was fair to expect offers in the $2M per range instead. 16 goals and 36 points and the playoff benching don't add up to $4M... it's just that if your pro scouting staff is watching him, you know that he can do more than that, and probably will.

His consistency is also something that I think you could "gamble on"... as a Hab he certainly was no coaches' favourite, and it just seemed like *every* time they wanted to juggle up lines or move players around, AK was a "victim" of a demotion, often quite independent of whether he himself was hot or cold. But it invariably turned him cold as one outcome. Moves were never made to get AK going, or keep AK going, they were made to accommodate Cammalleri or Gionta or all those kinds of players. To the detriment of Kostitsyn's reputation in the area of "consistency". (Not to exonerate him completely by any stretch, just that it is one contributing factor... he's not a model citizen for on-ice work ethic either (also compounded by the inefficiencies he makes for himself by lacking hockey sense)).

Anyway, $2M per would have been a good trial deal for him, I think, and unless he's just getting more than that easy from the KHL, he should be kicking his agent for not taking the Pittsburgh deal, if it was there.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 09:10 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Eller View Post
Like someone else said, I'll take Andrei Kostitsyn back a hundred time before Rene Bourque.
I wouldn't.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 09:23 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Not surprised lol.

09-18-2012, 02:19 AM
Super Sniper Cele

Send a message via AIM to Super Sniper Cele
I hope Shero did everything within reality to sign this guy. We dealt Staal and Michalek to clear cap space and now there are basically no options left out there to help our top six.

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
AK-Malkin-Neal

Yessir.

Super Sniper Cele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:50 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
I wouldn't.
Nor would i, and thank goodness nor would the Habs management who knows much better than anyone one of us.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
Nor would i, and thank goodness nor would the Habs management who knows much better than anyone one of us.
Would you say the same about Gauthier, who was the GM who actually brought in Bourque? I would think that enough obviously terrible moves have been made (in Montreal and in other organizations) to discredit that kind of blind faith.

Bourque is one thing, but as far as Bergevin is concerned, I think signing Prust rather than offering Kostitsyn a short deal with a similar cap hit is a poor decision. I know which one I'd rather have playing with Plekanec and Gionta.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 09:09 PM
dre2112

Kostitsyn... man what a great skillset. Amazing shot, good with his hands, great passer, plays big. Just too bad he's one of the dumbest players to lace them up. If he wasn't so braindead and could effectively put everything together into one package he'd be one of the best forwards in the league.

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 11:05 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Bourque is one thing, but as far as Bergevin is concerned, I think signing Prust rather than offering Kostitsyn a short deal with a similar cap hit is a poor decision. I know which one I'd rather have playing with Plekanec and Gionta.
That's your opinion, but I strongly disagree.

Old
09-21-2012, 01:36 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
That's your opinion, but I strongly disagree.
It's not like AK had success with Plekanec before right?

To be clear though, I'd line both Prust and ak on the habs.

Last edited by LyricalLyricist: 09-21-2012 at 02:06 AM.
Old
09-21-2012, 06:50 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

This is sad. I enjoyed his short tenure with the Preds. I would've signed him back in a heartbeat but obviously Poile disagrees.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
It's not like AK had success with Plekanec before right?

To be clear though, I'd line both Prust and ak on the habs.
That's not what Roulin was saying though.

Old
09-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Homegrown Kings
that other 70s line

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddy View Post
Maybe he just wanted more money than NHL GMs would offer?
Yeah that was my thought. A one year deal at a reasonable rate for him is something I think multiple teams would have taken. Despite the drama.

I've always liked him as a player. I hope he finds success in Russia.

Homegrown Kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:

The even more crazy thing is, for 1, maybe 2 games out of the season, he could take a game over like Crosby, or Malkin can. You'd see him do that, then get all giddy thinking about what a steal he is, then for the next 15 games he does squat offensively.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 12:09 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
That's not what Roulin was saying though.
I'm aware, but in general your comments were saying 'good riddance' although he always lived up to his contract. It would be nice to have both. Kostitsyn is a good player. Obviously one who can do much better but still a serviceable player for the top 9. Prust adds the sandpaper. I would've liked both to be on the habs.

Old
09-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
I'm aware, but in general your comments were saying 'good riddance' although he always lived up to his contract. It would be nice to have both. Kostitsyn is a good player. Obviously one who can do much better but still a serviceable player for the top 9. Prust adds the sandpaper. I would've liked both to be on the habs.
When the Habs acquired Rene Bourque, the writing was on the wall, in big bold letters, that Kostitsyn wouldn't be back. They are the same type of players and a coach doesn't deserve to have two unmotivated individuals on the same team.

At this point, Kostitsyn hasn't panned out so it's time to move on and give Bourque the same opportunity, especially considering that he's under contract for a few years.

Old
09-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Roulin

Quote:
When the Habs acquired Rene Bourque, the writing was on the wall, in big bold letters, that Kostitsyn wouldn't be back. They are the same type of players and a coach doesn't deserve to have two unmotivated individuals on the same team.

At this point, Kostitsyn hasn't panned out so it's time to move on and give Bourque the same opportunity, especially considering that he's under contract for a few years.
And yet, coaches have seen fit to give AK more ice time than Prust. As much as AK's inconsistency is frustrating, several coaches have decided that in the long run, his results make it worth giving him shifts. As much as coaches appreciate Prust's work ethic, several of them have decided he does not contribute enough to justify that extra ice time.

11-12
AK - 15:06 toi/g
BP - 11:56

10-11
AK - 15:53
BP - 13:48

09-10
AK - 15:59
BP - 7:35

08-09
AK - 15:35
BP - 7:27

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
And yet, coaches have seen fit to give AK more ice time than Prust. As much as AK's inconsistency is frustrating, several coaches have decided that in the long run, his results make it worth giving him shifts. As much as coaches appreciate Prust's work ethic, several of them have decided he does not contribute enough to justify that extra ice time.

11-12
AK - 15:06 toi/g
BP - 11:56

10-11
AK - 15:53
BP - 13:48

09-10
AK - 15:59
BP - 7:35

08-09
AK - 15:35
BP - 7:27
You're comparing apples and oranges. They don't play the same roles at all... And he was comparing Kostitsyn to Bourque not Prust. You seriously need to brush up on hockey knowledge if you think Prust was brought in to replace Kostitsyn's role.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote