HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread pt. II

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2012, 10:15 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
Shawn Simpson is the second coming of Jim Jerome.
I know I don't live in the city anymore, so I don't have 1st hand anecdotal evidence of this, but this has to be hyperbole. There is no way anyone is as bad as Jerome.

Simpson was a passable radio personality when I left Ottawa less than 2 months ago, and from what I could tell there's no way Simpson is dumb enough to willingly drink a Magic Phlegm Potion and get a partial lobotomy in order to mirror the infamous Jim Jerome.

Old
09-21-2012, 10:53 AM
Spex

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonster View Post
I like Simmer for the guest that he brings in but I find that he just likes to talk rather then ask questions to guest... He brings great perspective but he comes across as a know it all. Grossie is not great, I dont find brings much as loyd does for yorkie.
I noticed that too, sounds like he's trying to show off that's he's buddies with everyone. I like his hockey talk, especially behind the scenes stuff, but I find he goes way off topic sometimes and talks about road trips he’s taking/taken, restaurants/bars he’s been to, movies/shows he’s seen

He’s like a refined Liam Maguire. Both of them are good at talking hockey, but they should keep the non-hockey stuff to a minimum.

We tune in to hear about sports, not someone’s friend Earl who can drink anyone under the table

Old
09-21-2012, 11:41 AM
JoeSakic

Morning show = BRUTAL. I decided to give them another shot...big time failure this morning.

Old
09-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Ohhh Franco

Flip "In The Box" (Lloyd and York) with "The Drive" (Simmer and Gross), and I bet everyone's a lot happier.

I'll be curious to see how long Simpson works in this market. The longer the NHL lockout, the more likely he goes off topic on some random rant or objectifies the wrong woman..........and poof, he's gone.

Old
09-21-2012, 05:37 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhh Franco View Post
Flip "In The Box" (Lloyd and York) with "The Drive" (Simmer and Gross), and I bet everyone's a lot happier.

I'll be curious to see how long Simpson works in this market. The longer the NHL lockout, the more likely he goes off topic on some random rant or objectifies the wrong woman..........and poof, he's gone.
If he hasnt upset anyone yet, I doubt he will...

I really liked the Healthy Scratches show in the afternoons with Lloyd and Yorkie... Not as much of a fan now... doesnt seem the same...

The Drive- I like Simmer, not a fan of Gross...

Old
09-21-2012, 06:49 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

I much prefer Lloyd and York in the afternoon instead of the a.m. slot. The Drive is not a good name for the afternoon show either. I thought it was a golf show at first. I get the meaning but it's not representative of their total audience. Not many if any of the listeners are on the road for the whole 3 to 6 p.m show. Most are home in 45 minutes or less and tune in from home. Personally I like the Scratches name it has a strong sports / hockey meaning attached to it. There's even a bit of self deprecating humour in the name Healthy Scratches.

Old
09-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I know I don't live in the city anymore, so I don't have 1st hand anecdotal evidence of this, but this has to be hyperbole. There is no way anyone is as bad as Jerome.

Simpson was a passable radio personality when I left Ottawa less than 2 months ago, and from what I could tell there's no way Simpson is dumb enough to willingly drink a Magic Phlegm Potion and get a partial lobotomy in order to mirror the infamous Jim Jerome.
2 days in a row his stories have involved prostitutes.

Really, it's just how he tries to be edgy and sometimes comes off as a jock with no entourage. His insults are a little over the top sometimes.

Old
09-21-2012, 08:47 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
You must be too young to remember the Dandyman. At least Jerome can speak without stumbling over every second word.

Old
09-22-2012, 01:05 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderPegasus View Post
You must be too young to remember the Dandyman. At least Jerome can speak without stumbling over every second word.
Haha, I'm in my 30's, definitely not too young for anything on these boards.

I never had any love for Dandyman as an on-air personality (rip), but I'd take him over Jerome so quickly it would give you windburn.

Old
09-22-2012, 03:19 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

hmmmm

I liked Jerome at first. Being a friend of Gretzky and Messier, he had a lot of great connections for interviews.

Plus I enjoy juvenile frat humor. I'd much rather hear a story about banging puck bunnies than a 4 point game, but that's just me.

I think that is where Jerome actually excelled. He got to know the players (in Edmonton) as guys. Not as stars.

Can you imagine what it must be like for Wayne Gretzky to go out and eat dinner in a restaurant with his family? There will always be some a*hole that will approach the table, ask for an autograph, or tell Wayne how he was peeling potatos when he scored 50 in 39...it really must get tedious.

Jerome never talked to them about hockey. That's probably why they actually befriended the guy.

Sure you may argue that a radio guy should be asking hockey questions, but I think that some may be missing the value that Jerome actually brought to the broadcasts, at least in the early days.

To get Marc Messier, or Wayne Gretzky to reveal REAL information about themselves on the air is an art. Jerome had them in a comfort zone where they would actually talk. Not the typical soundbite garbage.

Dandyman...worst of the worst. I absolutely hated him as an on air personality. I still think he got screwed though.

Old
09-22-2012, 11:10 AM
ollie

Who do I have to pay to get that Oil Changers ad off the air? It's actually making me dislike Chris Neil because it's so damn corny. Ugh.

Old
09-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Who do I have to pay to get that Oil Changers ad off the air? It's actually making me dislike Chris Neil because it's so damn corny. Ugh.
You are probably being abit too dramatic.

Old
09-22-2012, 01:44 PM
jordan7hm

Can't stand the afternoon show.

Also, how about those Blue Jays? I can't wait for the season to end and random american shows to take over those timeslots again. When I'm in the car for an hour the last thing I want to do is listen to a third of a baseball game featuring a team who's season ended back in July.

e: And Chris Phillips may be the worst possible spokesman in the history of radio. Chris Neil is awful, but at least he sounds like he's smiling (or trying). The Big Rig spot is some of the worst radio I've ever heard.

Old
09-22-2012, 03:34 PM
TheWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
Can't stand the afternoon show.

Also, how about those Blue Jays? I can't wait for the season to end and random american shows to take over those timeslots again. When I'm in the car for an hour the last thing I want to do is listen to a third of a baseball game featuring a team who's season ended back in July.
I'm no longer much of a baseball fan and I'll never be a Blow Jays fan, but I've thoroughly enjoyed listening to snippets of the games this summer. Really takes me back to the 80's when I used to listen to Expos games.

Old
09-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

What do guys talk about??? Sports and women...They go together like peas and carrots.

So what anytime one of the guys mention women or sex, everyone is now offended, WTF.

It seems like most men are all turning into over-sensitive women at that time of month.

Old
09-22-2012, 06:45 PM
pepty

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital O TEETEE 613 View Post
What do guys talk about??? Sports and women...They go together like peas and carrots.

So what anytime one of the guys mention women or sex, everyone is now offended, WTF.

It seems like most men are all turning into over-sensitive women at that time of month.
Jim Jerome is a fifty something year old mamas boy pretending to be a stud all the while being supported by his wife .

He maundered on endlessly about his glory days 25 or so years ago when he was the hanger on and court jester around Gretzky and Messier, though a lot of his stories more recently were tiresome anecdotes about his day.

He was both a boor and a bore in love with his own voice, the type you would avoid if you met at a party. It's a relief not to have to hear his yammering any more.

Old
09-22-2012, 07:54 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

People are just not aware of sports journalism in this city or journalism in general on the radio. What we have in Ottawa are personalities not actual journalists.

Old
09-23-2012, 11:06 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
Jim Jerome is a fifty something year old mamas boy pretending to be a stud all the while being supported by his wife .

He maundered on endlessly about his glory days 25 or so years ago when he was the hanger on and court jester around Gretzky and Messier, though a lot of his stories more recently were tiresome anecdotes about his day.

He was both a boor and a bore in love with his own voice, the type you would avoid if you met at a party. It's a relief not to have to hear his yammering any more.
Well you certainly seem to be the type people would be eager to hang around at a party

You are free to not like Jerome, but I'd leave the psychoanalysis to professionals.

Old
09-23-2012, 02:20 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
I like baseball.

I like baseball on the radio.

I don't like baseball on the radio on Sunday's in September when the team is well out of the playoff race.

Sucks that when I'm driving around in the 1pm hour on Sunday's that I can't even get football scores on the sports station.

Old
09-23-2012, 02:35 PM
jordan7hm

Quote:

If I want to listen to shock jock radio, I'll listen to it being done far, far better than the Team does it. Not on a local AM station, for one thing.

The Team is sports radio, not Howard Stern (who is better than anyone on the Team).

Old
09-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
If I want to listen to shock jock radio, I'll listen to it being done far, far better than the Team does it. Not on a local AM station, for one thing.

The Team is sports radio, not Howard Stern (who is better than anyone on the Team).
Shock Jock?? When did I say that 1200 radio is shock jock. I think the guys keep it pretty real and I like when they go off a bit with a personal story. Just because they comment how hot a chick is, doesnt mean theyre trying to be shocking or edgy. They cant just talk scores and stats all the time for 24 hours.

Hahaha and Howard Stern is a dick, hes had about a handful of funny moments in his 40 years...

Old
09-23-2012, 07:09 PM
Ron Jeremy

Quote:

It seems like most men are all
turning into over-sensitive women at that time of month.
Post of the decade!

Old
09-23-2012, 07:12 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

You can't win as a radio personality.

First of all, they have to fill time. A lot of time. How many ways can they dissect the lockout, or last night's game, or whatever.

There is only so much you can say about any given subject.

Besides, with the world the way it is today, with Twitter, Facebook, this blog that blog...there isn't a whole lot of breaking news to be heard of radio anymore.

These guys HAVE to fill time with nonsense.

Just try to talk into a microphone. I bet most of you run out of topics in about 20 seconds or less.

If they go off on a little story about prostitutes, or puck bunnies, or what kind of gas they put in their cars...who cares? What are you really missing?

The 20/20 update will fill you in if anything important happens, unless your iphone starts blowing up before they get a chance.

Old
09-24-2012, 08:04 AM
Yokai

vCash: 966
Well for the guy who was hating on the Oil Changers commercial now they've got one where they make fun of Neil for being locked out.

Neil: "Hey want to arm wrestle?"

Random OC Dude" "Oh sorry I've got to go to work...opps no offense!"

They are still bad commercials, but I thought that was pretty funny.

Old
09-24-2012, 09:37 AM
Larionov

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
Besides, with the world the way it is today, with Twitter, Facebook, this blog that blog...there isn't a whole lot of breaking news to be heard of radio anymore.
This is a very good point, and one that we often forget. Mainstream media used to break stories, but now they get beat on that by Twitter, etc. There is nothing they can talk about that you couldn't have looked up yourself hours earlier. This phenomenon has also changed the evening news broadcasts. They used to be about news, but now they are heavy on health, lifestyle, cheap celebrity gossip, etc., because the news already broke hours ago.

The other reality is that there are only so many hard core sports geeks out there. Most of their listeners are casual fans who will switch the dial if they get too hard core all the time on sports. These fans secretly want to hear more about smut and celebrity gossip because that's what they will be talking about at work with their buddies. If you want a second by second breakdown of how the Detroit Lions booted away the game against Tennessee yesterday, including the behind the scenes strategies on trying to draw a team offside, they know that you will be listening to NFL Radio on Sirius anyway. (LOVE my satellite radio - you will peel that out of my cold, dead hands. )

Closed Thread