HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

25 WHL Players To Watch in 2012-13

Old
09-20-2012, 07:03 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 50
25 WHL Players To Watch in 2012-13

Just posted this piece. Discuss!

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/20...n-2012-13.html

Quote:
Basically, this list is a grouping of 25 players I can't wait to watch this WHL season. They range from forwards, to defenceman, to goalies and also include players who have been drafted and players eligible for future NHL drafts. The WHL is a great league with a ton of talent, so take a look at my list of some players to keep a close eye on this season.
Quote:
7. Hunter Shinkaruk - Many have the newly named Medicine Hat Tigers captain penciled in as the top forward prospect the WHL has to offer for the 2013 NHL Draft. At this point, that's pretty tough to argue considering his point totals the last couple of years. He's a fantastic player and could be in the running as a top scorer for the 2012-13 season. But, he also faces some pressure as the Tigers roster lost a ton of talent after last year including Emerson Etem and Tyler Bunz. This is now Hunter's team.

8. Matej Stransky - The Dallas Stars draft pick led the Blades in scoring last year and is now scheduled to start the year with the Blades two top acquisitions from the summer, Brenden Walker and Shane McColgan. The chances of Stransky scoring 40 goals this year are high, but those expectations also come with pressure. Can he repeat his 2011-12 success during such a pressure-filled year? Time will tell, but I can't wait to see how Stransky handles it.

9. Sam Reinhart - I already touched on the growing pains potentially ahead for the Ice and for them to counter that, Sam Reinhart will need to continue his upward swing. The kid has been lighting the WHL on fire ever since he first played full time with the Ice during the playoffs in 2010-11. He's not eligible for the NHL draft until 2014, so he still has a ton of time to dazzle people with well rounded play. I can't wait to see him play live several times this season. A truly unique talent.

10. Patrik Bartosak - The Red Deer Rebels are poised to be one of those middle-ground teams in the WHL's East in 2012-13. One guy that could elevate them above that is their goaltender Patrik Bartosak. He entered the WHL as a rookie last year and had a fantastic first half of the season before tweaking his knee and missing the rest of the year. He's a big, talented goaltender who is one of those many European wild cards the WHL seems to offer this season, especially in goal.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

vCash: 500
Great article. It's nice to read someone who understands Jr. hockey. I'm excited about seeing all the guys you mentioned. I agree on Lowry. He has serious upside. Too bad he was hurt last year. Would've made the Vause line a little more deadly. I'm interested to see more of McNeill too, kind of a Jekyll/Hyde guy.

Shinkaruk and Virtanen will both be fun to watch too. Good year to be seeing some eastern conference games.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Kershaw

Wow, that's some high praise level for McColgan when you consider the studs Saskatoon had before. (Schenn, Elliot)

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 03:51 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Wow, that's some high praise level for McColgan when you consider the studs Saskatoon had before. (Schenn, Elliot)
It's true, it's high praise. But, when at comes to pure skill and hands, he's definitely in the discussion.

Old
09-21-2012, 03:52 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
Great article. It's nice to read someone who understands Jr. hockey. I'm excited about seeing all the guys you mentioned. I agree on Lowry. He has serious upside. Too bad he was hurt last year. Would've made the Vause line a little more deadly. I'm interested to see more of McNeill too, kind of a Jekyll/Hyde guy.

Shinkaruk and Virtanen will both be fun to watch too. Good year to be seeing some eastern conference games.
Thanks for the kind words, glad you enjoyed it.

Old
09-21-2012, 07:09 PM
ponder

Great article, about half way through it so far an loving it. You're definitely my favourite source of WHL info!

I'm actually looking to purchase a bunch of Giants tickets, which teams would you suggest watching to see some really dynamic, dominant talents? Not necessarily looking for stacked teams, but teams with a few guys I can really focus on, players who could potentially turn into impact NHLers down the road. I'm thinking the Winterhawks, the Oil Kings, the Tigers (just for Shinkaruk really) and the Warriors (for Rielly, I'm a Leafs fan after all). Any other suggestions? Think these are good picks team-wise, or are there other teams I should be looking at? I'm going to try to get to around 4-6 Giants games in total (in the regular season).

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

I felt bad for Skapski last night. He made some really good saves, but there was a ton of pressure on him most of the night. I wouldn't really call any of the goals that went in "soft". A lot of the Ice players were screening him in the worst possible ways. He seems like a really decent goaltending prospect.

Aceonfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 11:55 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Rattie but no Dumba?

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 01:47 AM
tv14

Really like Jamal Watson. Hopefully he can put up a good year and be in the conversation to be drafted by the end of the year.

tv14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 03:32 AM
puckfan13

Lowry and Rielly for me, lucky that you're in both players' division RS. We know they're talented and this is their year to finally be able to show it all off. Both are huge dynamic talents can't wait to see what a full, healthy season brings for these two, should be some dominant campaigns.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 06:05 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Joe Hicketts, Morgan Rielly. Tim Bozon in Kamloops should rip it up. And it's time for the Lazar train to get going.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 11:58 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Rattie but no Dumba?
Sorry, can't list every player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Great article, about half way through it so far an loving it. You're definitely my favourite source of WHL info!

I'm actually looking to purchase a bunch of Giants tickets, which teams would you suggest watching to see some really dynamic, dominant talents? Not necessarily looking for stacked teams, but teams with a few guys I can really focus on, players who could potentially turn into impact NHLers down the road. I'm thinking the Winterhawks, the Oil Kings, the Tigers (just for Shinkaruk really) and the Warriors (for Rielly, I'm a Leafs fan after all). Any other suggestions? Think these are good picks team-wise, or are there other teams I should be looking at? I'm going to try to get to around 4-6 Giants games in total (in the regular season).
I think you nailed it with teams like Portland and Edmonton. Red Deer would be solid, to see Dumba. Besides that, I would recommend watching Kamloops. Not a ton of high-end prospect talent, but a fantastic team overall.

Old
09-22-2012, 12:16 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
I felt bad for Skapski last night. He made some really good saves, but there was a ton of pressure on him most of the night. I wouldn't really call any of the goals that went in "soft". A lot of the Ice players were screening him in the worst possible ways. He seems like a really decent goaltending prospect.
I gotta disagree.

At least two or three of the goals had no business ending up in the back of the net.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Metalownall

Is Bartschi going to play in WHL this year again or is he eligible for AHL?

Metalownall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 01:34 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalownall View Post
is bartschi going to play in whl this year again or is he eligible for ahl?
ahl/nhl

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 02:41 PM
Smallz

Glad to see Tvrdon get a mention

Smallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 04:21 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalownall View Post
Is Bartschi going to play in WHL this year again or is he eligible for AHL?
He's not in the WHL.

Old
09-22-2012, 04:40 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallz View Post
Glad to see Tvrdon get a mention
Tvrdon is awesome, I hope he can improve on his great rookie seson.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I gotta disagree.

At least two or three of the goals had no business ending up in the back of the net.
How many of those were garbage goals though? He is pretty weak on the rebounds, that is certain. But at least from what I saw, he has a fast glove. And I am not sure if anyone was tracking blocked shots from that game, but I wasn't seeing much from the Ice.

Old
09-22-2012, 06:37 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
How many of those were garbage goals though? He is pretty weak on the rebounds, that is certain. But at least from what I saw, he has a fast glove. And I am not sure if anyone was tracking blocked shots from that game, but I wasn't seeing much from the Ice.
None of them.

He failed to make the save. These werent rebound tap ins.

The Cole Benson goal was one of the bad ones. There was at least one more, and Im pretty sure there were two more.

Old
09-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
None of them.

He failed to make the save. These werent rebound tap ins.

The Cole Benson goal was one of the bad ones. There was at least one more, and Im pretty sure there were two more.
Lowe's goal I wouldn't call soft. His own team screened him. Samuelsson's was pretty bad I admit. I believe it was the Benson goal that was the rebound tap in from the bad side angle wasn't it? Or that might have been Baddocks...

I didn't get a good look at st Croix's goal, I can't really comment on it.

Fine lol, you win on the bad goals standpoint. But some of the saves he did make were great. He looked pretty panicked at times, maybe its just his age.

Old
09-22-2012, 07:29 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Lowe's goal I wouldn't call soft. His own team screened him. Samuelsson's was pretty bad I admit. I believe it was the Benson goal that was the rebound tap in from the bad side angle wasn't it? Or that might have been Baddocks...

I didn't get a good look at st Croix's goal, I can't really comment on it.

Fine lol, you win on the bad goals standpoint. But some of the saves he did make were great. He looked pretty panicked at times, maybe its just his age.
The Benson goal just got lost in his pads from a bad angle and trickled through into the net.

I wouldnt say the Lowe goal was bad necessarily. I was sitting in the corner by the glass in the end the Ice were defending in the first and third.

Not saying he is a bad goalie. Was the first time I saw him play, first game of the year and all that, just an observation that two or three of the goals were pretty weak imo.

Old
09-22-2012, 07:34 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

i hope McColgan gets a contract from NYR. he needs to get signed.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 07:41 PM
derriko

So who should I keep an eye on tonight...Seattle vs Portland? Im specifically wondering about 2013 prospects as I know a lot about the teams older players.

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
So who should I keep an eye on tonight...Seattle vs Portland? Im specifically wondering about 2013 prospects as I know a lot about the teams older players.
I would be following Seth Jones the entire game. I would imagine a bunch of scouts are going to be there doing the same thing.