HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Episode IX|The Off-Season Thread|It's... still the offseason.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-22-2012, 11:48 AM
  #351
lirit
Romans 8:31
 
lirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 2,586
vCash: 500



lirit is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 02:54 PM
  #352
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Lesshaus > Morehaus
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
it makes me sad that drunk foreigners can write better english sentences than almost every high school student I teach.
You and I should have a beer sometime.

Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 03:05 PM
  #353
End of Line
Moderator
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 19,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
it makes me sad that drunk foreigners can write better english sentences than almost every high school student I teach.
Do you teach kids who care more about Swag than school?

For the record I hate that word.

__________________

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 03:10 PM
  #354
DegenX
#FireMorehouse
 
DegenX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 3,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Do you teach kids who care more about Swag than school?

For the record I hate that word.
Funny how the definition of 'swag' has changed over time ... from free stuff to cheap, ****** Mexican brick weed to whatever it is now

DegenX is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 03:42 PM
  #355
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Do you teach kids who care more about Swag than school?

For the record I hate that word.
"If you washin clothes you gotta be good at it. If you foldin clothes you gotta be good at it. If you readin you gotta be good at it..."

-Ike "Swaggin" Taylor

JTG is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 03:45 PM
  #356
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 31,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Do you teach kids who care more about Swag than school?

For the record I hate that word.
I absolutely do. Well, did. I was told by a student that they'd respect me more if I had more swag.

The sad part is, I teach Physics. I'm not particularly good at english or grammar. But I still found myself correct students all the time. Tenses and the be verbs are the worst.

I seen you at the mall last night. What was you doin?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Ogrezilla is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 03:46 PM
  #357
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 31,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
You and I should have a beer sometime.
I like beer.

Ogrezilla is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 03:55 PM
  #358
End of Line
Moderator
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 19,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
Funny how the definition of 'swag' has changed over time ... from free stuff to cheap, ****** Mexican brick weed to whatever it is now
It used to be a word for cocky, then it transpired into be people acting like douches and saying "swag".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I absolutely do. Well, did. I was told by a student that they'd respect me more if I had more swag.

The sad part is, I teach Physics. I'm not particularly good at english or grammar. But I still found myself correct students all the time. Tenses and the be verbs are the worst.

I seen you at the mall last night. What was you doin?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
I hate my generation for not knowing proper grammar. People text me lingo while I use correct punctuation when I text. I have to do it. lol.

End of Line is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 05:22 PM
  #359
Fordy
the kid signify
 
Fordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 13,210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I absolutely do. Well, did. I was told by a student that they'd respect me more if I had more swag.

The sad part is, I teach Physics. I'm not particularly good at english or grammar. But I still found myself correct students all the time. Tenses and the be verbs are the worst.

I seen you at the mall last night. What was you doin?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Just get more swag then dude.

Fordy is online now  
Old
09-22-2012, 05:33 PM
  #360
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 31,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
Just get more swag then dude.
dude I tried. But apparently it can't be bought at JC Penney

Ogrezilla is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 07:13 PM
  #361
Fordy
the kid signify
 
Fordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 13,210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
dude I tried. But apparently it can't be bought at JC Penney
Next time they fail a test, write on it "A bad student? That's that **** I don't like". Hand it to them and say swerve.

Fordy is online now  
Old
09-22-2012, 07:42 PM
  #362
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 31,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
Next time they fail a test, write on it "A bad student? That's that **** I don't like". Hand it to them and say swerve.
that sounds like a bad idea

Ogrezilla is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 07:46 PM
  #363
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
dude I tried. But apparently it can't be bought at JC Penney
Did you try Wal-Mart? This guy gots swag...


Mr Jiggyfly is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 07:55 PM
  #364
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,508
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
dude I tried. But apparently it can't be bought at JC Penney


or GTFO.

Crafton is online now  
Old
09-22-2012, 10:35 PM
  #365
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Lesshaus > Morehaus
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,371
vCash: 500
Style, redefined.


Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 11:04 PM
  #366
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 31,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Did you try Wal-Mart? This guy gots swag...

there are no walmarts in Pittsburgh. its ridiculous

Ogrezilla is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 11:10 PM
  #367
Big McLargehuge
Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 53,475
vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
there are no walmarts in Pittsburgh. its ridiculous
What?

Do you mean downtown? That's normal. There's only one Walmart 'in' Los Angeles, and I would barely even count that one. In Missoula there's two...but neither fall within the city limits.

__________________
“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 11:17 PM
  #368
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,522
vCash: 500
Yeah, there are zero Walmart's in what is consider the city of Pittsburgh. I have heard that it is a Pittsburgh rule to protect the small business.

JTG is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 11:20 PM
  #369
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 31,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
What?

Do you mean downtown? That's normal. There's only one Walmart 'in' Los Angeles, and I would barely even count that one. In Missoula there's two...but neither fall within the city limits.
the closest to me is 10 miles away and I am on the very edge of the city proper.

Ogrezilla is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 11:28 PM
  #370
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 25,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Style, redefined.

thanks for posting this because I haven't seen it before.

Jacob is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 11:39 PM
  #371
Big McLargehuge
Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 53,475
vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
the closest to me is 10 miles away and I am on the very edge of the city proper.
Really? Damn. By the time I left town I had 4 of them within a half-hour drive. Mind you I lived in the south hills, where you're never more than five minutes away from a huge ****ing shopping center and all of those empty Hills/Ames stores had to be occupied by someone (and by that I mean a minority as the rest are just rotting).

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 11:41 PM
  #372
Big McLargehuge
Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 53,475
vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Yeah, there are zero Walmart's in what is consider the city of Pittsburgh. I have heard that it is a Pittsburgh rule to protect the small business.
As it was in Missoula and it seems to be in LA as well. The only Walmart 'in' Los Angeles is basically a ghetto-ass three-story Dollar Tree with Walmart signage outside (it bears absolutely no resemblance to a Walmart inside) in an otherwise empty mall.

It's a common practice to keep Walmart outside of cities.

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 11:42 PM
  #373
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 31,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Really? Damn. By the time I left town I had 4 of them within a half-hour drive. Mind you I lived in the south hills, where you're never more than five minutes away from a huge ****ing shopping center.
ya I'm at the far north of the city. there's no wal-mart on mcknight road, so there's no walmart in the direct area.

I'm just spoiled because this is the first time I've lived more than a 5 minute drive from a wal-mart since I was like 13.

Ogrezilla is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 11:58 PM
  #374
Mr. T
Registered User
 
Mr. T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
I hate my generation for not knowing proper grammar. People text me lingo while I use correct punctuation when I text. I have to do it. lol.
Good man. I do the same thing.

We have a chat client at work and and some educated folks write like that sometimes. It makes my brain hurt. Especially "k" instead of "ok". You were too busy for extra ****ing keystroke?

Mr. T is offline  
Old
09-23-2012, 12:00 AM
  #375
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 31,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Good man. I do the same thing.

We have a chat client at work and and some educated folks write like that sometimes. It makes my brain hurt. Especially "k" instead of "ok". You were too busy for extra ****ing keystroke?
I have a few friends who are really bad at using text speak and it makes me so mad. One even does it in emails. OK, I don't like it with a phone but I get it; there's a character limit. In an email you just look like an idiot.

worst thing though: my mom texts with text speak. ugh.

Ogrezilla is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.