HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-2013 Lockout Discussion Thread (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
09-23-2012, 12:44 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
So...they are going to meet...but not negotiate...what the **** is the point?

So stupid.

Old
09-23-2012, 01:11 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Acutally, he can't. Bettman has the owners under a $1 million fine if they as much as speak a word. The new owner of the Sabres got a warning phone call after he said that he will be docked draft picks if he spoke up.

BTW, there is your owners so-called unity in a nutshell.
Third reich (LITERALLY) of the NHL. You talk about anything and you're denied picks and then have to pay more... pheh

Old
09-23-2012, 01:21 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Freedom of speech is right citizens have against government suppression of their speech. In this case a bunch of owners in a private industry have decided to fine one another for mouthing off in public. The former has nothing to do with the latter.

Old
09-23-2012, 01:42 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
So...they are going to meet...but not negotiate...what the **** is the point?

So stupid.

Old
09-23-2012, 04:05 AM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Third reich (LITERALLY) of the NHL. You talk about anything and you're denied picks and then have to pay more... pheh
the more i read, the more i sense the league management is getting divided and unhappy with the overall structure of the league/sport. this may actually come to a head in court.

(btw, i'd like to see the league try to fine a big time owner - sorry buffalo - a million bucks. a guy like dolan, if he were unhappy enough to speak out, might have no problem telling bettman to shove his fine up his arse).

Old
09-23-2012, 04:09 AM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Freedom of speech is right citizens have against government suppression of their speech. In this case a bunch of owners in a private industry have decided to fine one another for mouthing off in public. The former has nothing to do with the latter.
i wonder if the league really has the absolute power to fine one of it's own a million bucks. if there is a legitimate faction of dissenters, this could become ugly quick. i'd buy tickets to watch that argument.

Old
09-23-2012, 04:18 AM
Chimp

What a joke of a league.

Old
09-23-2012, 05:47 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Larry Brooks

Quote:
A well-placed source reports Bettman has told people he believes the NBA and Stern caved in to save the 2011-12 season by giving the players between 49 and 51 percent of basketball revenue as part of the agreement that ended the lockout last December, and Bettman is resolute in his stance against giving more than 48 percent to the union over the life of the next NHL agreement.

Even in retrospect, Bettman apparently is unable to recognize the value of LeBron James’ championship season if it came at the cost of a single decimal point.
Not playing is better alternative for Gary. This guy is married? I feel sorry for his wife. He doesn't know how to compromise.

Quote:
“There is no logical reason this shouldn’t be resolved within a matter of weeks,” one moderate on the players’ side in favor of an ultimate 50-50 split told me Friday. “But there is no such thing as logic where Gary is concerned.”
Watch Bettman say 50-50 is not a fair deal for the owners. This is the problem with Bettman and why Fehr is leery of putting anything on the table.

Quote:
Despite recent reports to the contrary, Slap Shots has been told the NHL never has suggested to the union it contemplates penalizing teams in the new CBA for previously registered front-loaded, long-term contracts.
Tell that to the fans on the Leafs board.

The NHL will need to negotiate any changes in how cap hits are calculated. Why would Fehr agree to add to a cap hits taking away cap space from the other players on the team with the cap decreasing?

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...4NxC7ZKMCxXGQM

Pierre LeBrun wrote a blog last week about teams being punished for signing long term contracts. Craig Custance wrote the same stuff in August. They must be talking to sources which have a certain agenda.

Old
09-23-2012, 06:48 AM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Larry Brooks

Not playing is better alternative for Gary. This guy is married? I feel sorry for his wife. He doesn't know how to compromise.

Watch Bettman say 50-50 is not a fair deal for the owners. This is the problem with Bettman and why Fehr is leery of putting anything on the table.

Tell that to the fans on the Leafs board.

The NHL will need to negotiate any changes in how cap hits are calculated. Why would Fehr agree to add to a cap hits taking away cap space from the other players on the team with the cap decreasing?

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...4NxC7ZKMCxXGQM

Pierre LeBrun wrote a blog last week about teams being punished for signing long term contracts. Craig Custance wrote the same stuff in August. They must be talking to sources which have a certain agenda.
i just read this article...unbelievable, I do hope we see the board of governors overtake bettman and get a deal done before the opening of the season. Bettman's salary went upto 8mil/yr so bettman could handle a lockout.

And I bet that if edmonton and calgary can't lockout their players the owners will push for a deal to be ASAP because neither have had much success the past few years and may be losing a little bit of money each season and probably can't afford to pay its players without any money coming in.

Old
09-23-2012, 07:01 AM
DutchShamrock

I have to wonder if the owners will abide by bettman's decision. He is the commish, but serves at the owners' pleasure. It's not his agenda, but theirs.

Hopefully we are witnessing the fall of bettman. He is playing games again. Sees the PA will get to 50%, then changes his threshold to 48%. He'll give 50 with a change to HRR, watch.

The majority doesn't want to miss hockey. A deal is there. He is the mad king. He will get canned if he loses them money. No compromise is right.

Old
09-23-2012, 07:15 AM
Ronald Dubinsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
the more i read, the more i sense the league management is getting divided and unhappy with the overall structure of the league/sport. this may actually come to a head in court.

(btw, i'd like to see the league try to fine a big time owner - sorry buffalo - a million bucks. a guy like dolan, if he were unhappy enough to speak out, might have no problem telling bettman to shove his fine up his arse).
lockout going to court? Lol ok

Old
09-23-2012, 08:26 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
When did Lil' Jimmy Dolan become the champion of the average fan?

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 09-23-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old
09-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
When did Lill Jimmy Dolan become the champion of the average fan?
can't get enough of his marvelous singing voice

Old
09-23-2012, 09:11 AM
gmerger37

Quote:
Thats ridiculous.

What is this, Nazi Germany? Some militant tyranny?

Docked draft picks? Fined 1 million dollars? That can't be legal. Freedom of speech. Its a constitutional right. Bettman isn't Dolan's employer.

This is the problem. Each franchise is its own entity. Its own business.

I'd gather all the top lawyers around and file a law suit against the league and Bettman for the damages/loses due to his lockout.
I'd love to see that lawsuit get laughed out of a "top lawyer's" office, let alone a court house.

Freedom of speech does not apply within a private entity such as the NHL, they make the rules, if you don't like them you can choose to be free of their tyrannical ways by leaving. If you choose to do business within a private entity you play by their rules.

Old
09-23-2012, 10:04 AM
Dilettante

Couple of interesting economist articles about:

the NHL lockout
http://www.economist.com/blogs/gamet...lations-hockey

money and sports (awesome picture )
http://www.economist.com/node/21563293

If we can't watch hockey, might as well read about it I guess

Old
09-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

for those of you who don't know and want to watch hockey during the lockout the KHL and other international leagues stream games:
Laola1.tv
best part is that they archive the games!

messier, gretz, and keenan are in that video at ~12m i guess it's some inaugural event.

Old
09-23-2012, 10:28 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post

Pegula is a big time owner =P he's got around 4 and a half billion dollars in his bank account. It all comes down to who isn't afraid to speak up

Old
09-23-2012, 10:41 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
I believe Dolan would have a lot of sway if he steps out and does something. The NHL is nothing without the Rangers. And they know it.
Yeah right, the league couldn't care less about the Rangers for the simple reason that the Rangers are not going to go anywhere. What are we gonna do, join the KHL? Most years we get a crappy schedule, because the league knows we will still sell out and they give the better dates to smaller market teams.

Just a couple of years ago, MSG got into a fight with the league and wanted to run its own website for the Rangers. The Rangers tried everything, but the league wouldn't allow the team to get off the NHL.com servers. The Rangers have no pull, sorry to tell you.

Old
09-23-2012, 12:01 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
I Hate Gary Bettman. He is a clown and I'd love to see him in a dark alley

Old
09-23-2012, 12:18 PM
vstk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
messier, gretz, and keenan are in that video at ~12m i guess it's some inaugural event.
They played a charity event not too long ago there with Russian legends. Gretzky and Messier got paid.. a chunk of money for showing up.

Old
09-23-2012, 12:21 PM
BlessThisMess513

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I Hate Gary Bettman. He is a clown and I'd love to see him in a dark alley
Is that you Chelios?

If you don't know what I'm talking about watch the video on youtube about what the players think of Bettman when he first came into the league.

Old
09-23-2012, 12:27 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Docked draft picks? Fined 1 million dollars? That can't be legal. Freedom of speech. Its a constitutional right. Bettman isn't Dolan's employer.
Ridiculous or not, that is a fact. The Sabres owner already received a warning. I do not believe that the owners are 100% unified. But they cannot speak publicly. However, as time edges to around December, I imagine that there will be very loud voices behind closed doors.

Old
09-23-2012, 12:32 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Ridiculous or not, that is a fact. The Sabres owner already received a warning. I do not believe that the owners are 100% unified. But they cannot speak publicly. However, as time edges to around December, I imagine that there will be very loud voices behind closed doors.
And I imagine that would be more effective than going public.

Old
09-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
Yeah right, the league couldn't care less about the Rangers for the simple reason that the Rangers are not going to go anywhere. What are we gonna do, join the KHL? Most years we get a crappy schedule, because the league knows we will still sell out and they give the better dates to smaller market teams.

Just a couple of years ago, MSG got into a fight with the league and wanted to run its own website for the Rangers. The Rangers tried everything, but the league wouldn't allow the team to get off the NHL.com servers. The Rangers have no pull, sorry to tell you.
This is true. The Rangers and the NHL have been at odds for a number of years.

The Rangers did, partly, get around the NHL website issue with Blueshirtsunited.com.

Old
09-23-2012, 01:30 PM
PassShootScore
208 Row 18

vCash: 1150
“@walsha: Sources tell http://t.co/xPOHgp95 that more than a handful of NHL owners are already wary of losing the entire year. http://t.co/WAC7iNoV”

Closed Thread