HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Team Finland @ 2013 World Junior Championships

Old
09-21-2012, 04:29 PM
ChadS

vCash: 500
Salminen's skating really suprised me. I saw him play in the jr.A playoffs last season and his skating was terrible. Now he had no problem keeping up with the Sm-liiga tempo, and he's really strong as well. Should be interesting to see where he stands in terms of the WJC.

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 06:26 AM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick Murphy View Post
Parkkonen has been a pleasant pre-season surprise for Ässät and will likely start the season in FEL top 6 instead of U20-team. Might be a surprise pick to WJC-team.
Will finally be in the starting line-up today against HPK in Ässät's fourth game of the season.

Has been good with the U20-Ässät scoring two goals in three games before the call-up.

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 08:54 AM
The Saw Is the Law

List of U20 guys who have played in SM-liiga this season:

Aleksander Barkov
Joel Armia
Artturi Lehkonen
Matti Lamberg
Henrik Haapala
Miro Aaltonen
Saku Salminen
Juuso Ikonen
Rasmus Kulmala
Robert Leino
Markus Granlund
Miikka Salomäki
Joonas Huovinen
Teemu Henritius
Toni Kallela
Teuvo Teräväinen
Joni Seinelä

Niklas Tikkinen
Rasmus Ristolainen
Jarno Paven
Juuso Riikola
Petteri Lindbohm
Mikko Lehtonen
Esa Lindell

Richard Ullberg
Joonas Korpisalo

Couple of them play in the same line in SM-liiga:
Barkov C - Haapala RW in Tappara 2nd line
Aaltonen C - Ikonen RW in Blues 3rd line
Lamberg LW - Salminen RW in Jokerit 4th line

OHL:
Samu Markkula
Henri Ikonen
Jonatan Tanus

Olli Määttä
Mikko Vainonen

USHL:
Sami Salminen

----------------------------------------------------------

MY LOTTERY

Salomäki-Teräväinen-Armia
Lehkonen-Barkov-Haapala
Aaltonen-Granlund-Ikonen
Lamberg-Leino-Salminen
Kulmala, Kallela

Lindbohm-Määttä
Vainonen-Ristolainen
Lindell-Tikkinen
Parkkonen

Ullberg
Korpisalo
Husso

E:

fak, i forgot Ville Pokka

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 11:24 AM
Tuomaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law View Post
List of U20 guys who have played in SM-liiga this season:

Aleksander Barkov
Joel Armia
Artturi Lehkonen
Matti Lamberg
Henrik Haapala
Miro Aaltonen
Saku Salminen
Juuso Ikonen
Rasmus Kulmala
Robert Leino
Markus Granlund
Miikka Salomäki
Joonas Huovinen
Teemu Henritius
Toni Kallela
Teuvo Teräväinen
Joni Seinelä

Niklas Tikkinen
Rasmus Ristolainen
Jarno Paven
Juuso Riikola
Petteri Lindbohm
Mikko Lehtonen
Esa Lindell

Richard Ullberg
Joonas Korpisalo

Couple of them play in the same line in SM-liiga:
Barkov C - Haapala RW in Tappara 2nd line
Aaltonen C - Ikonen RW in Blues 3rd line
Lamberg LW - Salminen RW in Jokerit 4th line

OHL:
Samu Markkula
Henri Ikonen
Jonatan Tanus

Olli Määttä
Mikko Vainonen

USHL:
Sami Salminen

----------------------------------------------------------

MY LOTTERY

Lehkonen-Barkov-Haapala
Aaltonen-Granlund-Ikonen
Lamberg-Leino-Salminen
Kulmala, Kallela

Lindbohm-Määttä
Vainonen-Ristolainen
Lindell-Tikkinen
Parkkonen

Ullberg
Korpisalo
Husso

E:

fak, i forgot Ville Pokka

Deeepth

Tuomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 12:19 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Ullberg
Korpisalo
Husso
I'd add Janne Juvonen into contention. Would currently rank him below Ullberg and Korpisalo, but above Husso.

Quote:
Lehkonen-Barkov-Haapala
Aaltonen-Granlund-Ikonen
Lamberg-Leino-Salminen
The 93-born top line (Salomäki-MaG-Armia) has tons of U18 chemistry together. Knowing Rindell, something tells me he'll be queasy to break it up. Besides, Teräväinen has U18 experience together with Ikonen, making them as well a natural fit.

While we seem to get more and more stacked skillwise year after year (seriously, this squad looks even better than last year, and it doesn't have MiG), I don't really like the fact that apart from Barkov and Armia, our top offensive talent is still pretty farkin' small.

Oh well, at least we finally seem to be producing some decent-sized yet skilled D. Out of the guys likely to make it, Määttä, Ristolainen, Pokka, Vainonen and Lindell are all past six feet and weigh around 90kg.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 02:30 PM
sinettiseura

This years WJC team looks pretty impressive and I think we have a decent change.

But a little sneak peek to 2014 WJC. If all the players are healthy and available 2014 WJC team could be the best team we have ever had.

Forwards:
Sasha Barkov jr. top 10 pick 2013 draft
Teuvo Teräväinen 19th overall 2012
Juuso Ikonen possible 1 rounder 2013 draft
Artturi Lehkonen possible 1 rounder 2013 draft
Henrik Haapala already a FEL regular
Rasmus Kulmala already a FEL regular
Joose Antonen 2013 draftee (2-4 rounder)

Then there is guys like Jonatan Tanus, Henri Ikonen, Aleksi Mustonen, Saku Salminen, Eetu Koivistoinen, Felix Westermarck etc.

Defence:

Olli Määttä 22th overall 2012 if available?
Rasmus Ristolainen top 15 pick 2013 draft
Ville Pokka second rounder 2012
Mikko Vainonen drafted 2012
Niklas Tikkinen
Esa Lindell drafted 2012

And then guys like: Mikko Lehtonen, Atte Mäkinen, Jimi Kuronen...

Goaltenders
Ville Husso
Joonas Korpisalo

Overall 2014 Finland could get the best team we have ever had in WJC. The D is looking out rock solid, great goaltending and some huge forward prospects.

Of course a lot can happen before 2014 WJC but I thought that it would be nice to speculate a bit

sinettiseura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 04:06 AM
edd1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post

While we seem to get more and more stacked skillwise year after year (seriously, this squad looks even better than last year, and it doesn't have MiG), I don't really like the fact that apart from Barkov and Armia, our top offensive talent is still pretty farkin' small.
Well you have to be more specific about "top offensive talent"
To me you can throw Artturi Lehkonen, Teuvo Teräväinen maybe even Markus Granlund in to that equation?

edd1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 08:02 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post
Well you have to be more specific about "top offensive talent"
To me you can throw Artturi Lehkonen, Teuvo Teräväinen maybe even Markus Granlund in to that equation?
Err... small as in "small in physical size". Not as "not too many in numbers". I thought I made that clear in context.

Okay, Salomäki is no little fry either, but he's more of an utility forward type to begin with.

Last edited by FiLe: 09-23-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old
09-23-2012, 12:53 PM
edd1e

Quote:
Err... small as in "small in physical size". Not as "not too many in numbers". I thought I made that clear in context.

Okay, Salomäki is no little fry either, but he's more of an utility forward type to begin with.
Ah, ok. Well two or three of.. say top 6 isnt bad

One thing we are missing is physicality (apart from Salomäki) in top lines. That hurts us more than the height of our players.

Old
09-23-2012, 02:04 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
I'd add Janne Juvonen into contention. Would currently rank him below Ullberg and Korpisalo, but above Husso.
IMHO it's still a four horse race at this point; Korpisalo, Perhonen, Ullberg and Juvonen, in no particular order. I've only seen one game from Perhonen so far, but he seemed better than last season. Not a game changing goalie but I'm not sure if the others are at that level either.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 03:14 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Ah, ok. Well two or three of.. say top 6 isnt bad
Unless the staff is willing to sacrifice some skill for physicality (something which I doubt they'll do, since it isn't a worthy tradeoff), it still leaves us with at least one line where the size aspect is going to be a problem. Especially if the lines go as predicted and it will be the 93-borns together and then lines 2a and 2b built around Teräväinen and Barkov, respectively.

Quote:
One thing we are missing is physicality (apart from Salomäki) in top lines. That hurts us more than the height of our players.
Those two usually tend to walk hand in hand somewhat. At least if physicality doesn't mean doling out hits alone, but also winning battles along the boards, stuff like that.

I'm not too worried about their ability to receive hits. All Finnish pros can do that and not have it affect their game. What worries me is that we'll start losing when the grinding starts. Okay, we do have some guys in the smaller ones too who have the necessary tenacity, with Teräväinen and Aaltonen being good examples. Still, it'll be a curious experience having to watch Team Finland that'll have to triumph mostly by skill, not grit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
IMHO it's still a four horse race at this point; Korpisalo, Perhonen, Ullberg and Juvonen, in no particular order. I've only seen one game from Perhonen so far, but he seemed better than last season. Not a game changing goalie but I'm not sure if the others are at that level either.
Yeah. Perhonen kinda slipped under the radar last season, though I'd have nothing against him bouncing back. Juvonen made a good impression during the playoffs last spring.

You're right that it's too early to say who's going to turn out as the top dog, though I'd say Ullberg is the best take for the designated starter. As the only SM-liiga regular, at least he's a lock to be one half of the playing tandem, if healthy.

Old
09-25-2012, 11:37 AM
The Saw Is the Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinettiseura View Post
But a little sneak peek to 2014 WJC. If all the players are healthy and available 2014 WJC team could be the best team we have ever had.
Do you guys think it's pretty odd that "next year" our team is always better than "this year"?

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:43 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Do you guys think it's pretty odd that "next year" our team is always better than "this year"?
Yeah, it is a little funny. And actually, I don't think our 2014 team looks remarkably better.

It will be mostly made of 94s this year anyway. And they should be ready for the next level as it is, considering they're already too old for the U18 one. And while sinettiseura does point out the bright future we seem to have, he doesn't exactly pay much mind to the fact that after this year, guys like Armia, Salomäki, MaG and Aaltonen will be too old. Are there any who are as good as they are in the next two classes? I mean outside the ones we already know of and who will be there this year already.

So yeah. I'd actually say that this year, not the next, is the year for us. Our best crop perhaps like ever, the 94s, should already be up for this, but we still haven't lost our best 93s either. And to top it off, it will be in Europe and on international-sized rink.

Last edited by FiLe: 09-25-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old
09-26-2012, 02:42 AM
sinettiseura

Quote:
Yeah, it is a little funny. And actually, I don't think our 2014 team looks remarkably better.

It will be mostly made of 94s this year anyway. And they should be ready for the next level as it is, considering they're already too old for the U18 one. And while sinettiseura does point out the bright future we seem to have, he doesn't exactly pay much mind to the fact that after this year, guys like Armia, Salomäki, MaG and Aaltonen will be too old. Are there any who are as good as they are in the next two classes? I mean outside the ones we already know of and who will be there this year already.

So yeah. I'd actually say that this year, not the next, is the year for us. Our best crop perhaps like ever, the 94s, should already be up for this, but we still haven't lost our best 93s either. And to top it off, it will be in Europe and on international-sized rink.
I wouldn't agree that for example this years team is better than last year's. However generally it is true that we are prone to believe that the next year is always better. I admit that this speculation of 2014 team is quite silly because there is so many IFs. Anyway I would say that IF our -95 born forwards and -94 defence keeps developing the team will be better than this year's or last year's. 2013 draft is looking to be very strong and deep for Finland and our -94 defence crop is one of the best all time. I admit that maybe it is exaggerative to say that 2014 would be our best team all time.

Although we lose players like Armia, Granlund and Salomäki I think that 2014 offense is equal to 2013 offense or even better. Maybe the depth is better this year but I think that we are lacking top-end talent. Armia, Ma. Granlund and Salomäki aren't equal to Mi. Granlund and Pulkkinen. In these tournament's high end talent is vital. Guys like Mi. Granlund win the games against top countries. In 2014 we have (if everyrhing works out) Barkov, Teräväinen, Ikonen and Lehkonen to win the games. (Don't get me wrong here I think that Armia is great player and can score for sure but IMO he isn't that kind of offensive leader we need.)

Defense is without saying better in 2014 than 2012 or 2013. Our key guys in defence were already last year -94 born players (excluding Hakaanpää).

As of now 2014 team is looking to be great but if iirc these guys didn't win the U18 WJC last spring One could argue that Barkov had mono and Määttä was absent and it is true that Finland's depth in these junior games is so narrow that lacking one key player could be fateful. I remains to be seen which team really is/was the best 2013 or 2014. We have chance to win gold this year and we have change to win next in my opinion.

sinettiseura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Ihmeilja

Markus Granlund - Miikka Salomäki - Joel Armia
Miro Aaltonen - Aleksander Barkov - Artturi Lehkonen
Markus Hännikäinen - Teuvo Teräväinen - Toni Kallela
Henri Ikonen - Teemu Henritius - Matti Lamberg

Rasmus Ristolainen - Olli Määttä
Ville Pokka - Petteri Lindbohm
Patrik Parkkonen - Joonas Valkonen

Richard Ullberg
Janne Juvonen

Extra forward: Juuso Ikonen
Extra defender: Henri Auvinen
Extra goaltender: Samu Perhonen

Top forwards outside the team:
Robert Leino(93) - right shooting center with lots of skill, plays already in Sm-liiga and can score a lot at juniors(why is not drafted?)
Henrik Haapala(94) - a small, skilled right winger, who plays in the same line with Barkov in Sm-liiga in one of the best teams in Europe
Saku Salminen(94) - a big, physical player who can play both wings and center, has played a couple of games in Sm-liiga, but plays mainly in the juniors
Rasmus Kulmala(94) - a small playmaker, who can play as a center or left wing, has a good chemistry with goalscorer Lehkonen, has played lots of games Sm-liiga in a team that laks of depth in offence
Kalle Kossila(93) - a center, who scored sick numbers in the finnish A-junior league last year and now plays in NCAA
Ville Järveläinen(93) - a very small winger with sick skills, greativity and an eye for the game, plays in Mestis
Tomi Wilenius(93) - a small scoring center, who can both score goals and make plays, not a lot of experience at adult level, but performed well in couple of Sm-liiga games last season
Sami Salminen(93) - a big scoring winger with no experience from adult games, is very skilled, plays in the USHL this season, not the best skater, shoots right
Aleksi Rekonen(93) - a good center who played with Sami Salminen last year in juniors, plays in Mestis this year
Jesper Kokkonen(93) - a very skilled goalscoring winger with good size, hasn't put up much points in the A-juniors
Ville Ahlgren(93) - a small forward who can play as a center or winger, can score a lot at junior level, good skater, good in one on one
Heikki Liedes(93) - a big gritty physical RW, who plays in the USHL, not exactly a scoring forward but is a hard worker and good at shorthanded situations
Thomas Nykop(93) - a big physical winger who can put up points at the finnish A junior league
Aleksi Luhtalampi(93) - a winger with good size, who can put up points in the A junior league
Joni Seinelä(93) - a goalscoring winger with good size, can put up points in the A junior league
Nico Nyberg(93) - a skilled center with good size, can also play as a winger and is good all around, can put up points at junior level
Eetu Karvinen(93) - forward who plays mainly as a center, but can also play as a winger, not a scoring role player and has played as a 4th liner in national team, plays in USHL
Jonatan Tanus(95) - a small superskilled offencive forward, who can play as a center or left wing, put up a point per game in the finnish A juniors as a 16 year old, plays in OHL now, has theoretical change to get to the national team, if puts up more than a point per game in the OHL
Joonas Huovinen(94) - a center, that shoots right, has played a couple of games in Sm-liiga this season

Top defenders outside the team:
Esa Lindell(94) - offencive D with a good size, put up sick points at junior level and is playing with mens now
Mikko Vainonen(94) - a big all around D with only junior experience, plays in the OHL
Mikko Lehtonen(94) - offencive D who put up good numbers in the junior league, is playing in Sm-liiga now
Niklas Friman(93) - all around D with good size, can score a lot in the junior level, needs to play in mens league
Ahti Oksanen(93) - a big D, who put up good numbers in the finnish junior league and plays in NCAA now
Samuli Piipponen(93) - a big D from Saipa organisation, can score a lot in the junior league, but lets see how he does with men
Niklas Tikkinen(94) - an all around D who is trying to get regular in Sm-liiga, scored good points in A-junior league last season, has performed well at U18 national team
Juho Tommila(93) - a two way D with good size, playing in finnish junior level, not very physical, has a good shot
Aleksi Salonen(93) - a small right shooting D with good puck skills, who plays his second season in Mestis
Aleksi Orenius(93) - another good small D from Ilves organisation(as last years U20 national team D Konsta Mäkinen came from Ilves) who plays at A junior league, has performed well in couple of games in Sm-liiga
Jarno Paven(93) - a small D, that shoots right, has played a couple of Sm-liiga games this season
Juuso Riikola(93) - has played a couple of games in Sm-liiga this season with Kalpa

Ihmeilja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 02:15 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
I admit that this speculation of 2014 team is quite silly because there is so many IFs. Anyway I would say that IF our -95 born forwards and -94 defence keeps developing the team will be better than this year's or last year's.
This is more like it. A good save. Still, some of those ifs are pretty big.

2013 top-9:

Salomäki - Granlund - Armia
Aaltonen - Teräväinen - Ikonen
Lehkonen - Barkov - Haapala

2014 top-9:

Lehkonen - Teräväinen - Ikonen
? - Barkov - Haapala
? - ? - ?

I've no doubt we will find players to patch out some of those question marks just fine. But 'til one comes and reliably shows (so no projections) we can fill ALL of them with players of equal caliber, saying "next year is better" is kinda jumping the gun.

Quote:
Maybe the depth is better this year but I think that we are lacking top-end talent.
But then, there are comments like this...

"Lacking top-end talent?" When we've still got the 93s at our disposal, AND the 94s AND the best 95s look like good enough packages as well? Like I put it above, patch the holes first, then say "next year is better".

Next year, we'll have 94s who likely are better than both their current selves and the 93s this year. But to fill out that line left empty by their current selves, I'd still rather rather take the 93s than a bunch of ifs and guesses.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong here I think that Armia is great player and can score for sure but IMO he isn't that kind of offensive leader we need.
In a sense, I agree. We don't need Joel Armia to be the offensive leader who drags the whole team out of a slump. He just isn't that kind of player. But regardless, guess what? Armia is perhaps only the most important player we've produced in the past 20 years or so. Raw. Scoring. Ability. Are people really so thick that they still overlook that?

Let's draw it out...

Playmaking, leading the team... sure, we've got Mikael Granlund now. And he's possibly the best player in this field we've ever produced. But then again, we were never hurting even without him. To fill a similar role, we've had Saku Koivu, Mikko Koivu, Niko Kapanen and Valtteri Filppula to make it to NHL over the years. And more coming. Teräväinen, Barkov...

Power forward. Miikka Salomäki, good guy to have. But still nothing we've desperately needed. Tuomo Ruutu, Niklas Hagman, Lauri Korpikoski, Sean Bergenheim. Got it covered. Will have it covered.

Utility forward. Can do a bit of everything in a pinch. Modern example... Joonas Donskoi. Over the years: Ville Peltonen, Sami Kapanen, Jussi Jokinen, Antti Miettinen... and I think there's at least one or two more who escape me at the moment. Oh yeah. Jere Lehtinen. Future is similarly bright.

Raw sniper. Joel Armia. And before: Teemu Selänne, and... err... err... *tumbleweed slowly rolls across the screen*. Future looks good if Pulkkinen can also get there. And someone like Lehkonen, hopefully. Maybe. Still, I wouldn't talk about depth yet.

Point me a guy from the coming years who's nothing but a scorer, and I might agree that losing Armia doesn't hurt. No, it still hurts, because even if there's one or two, there still probably isn't depth.

But you know what's funny? You're still right with your statement. We don't need an offensive leader. Because we've got those. What we do need, however, is somebody who buries that bloody puck into the net once our glorious offensive leader dishes it out to him.

Bottom line: Thou shalt not belittle a guy like Armia!

Quote:
Defense is without saying better in 2014 than 2012 or 2013. Our key guys in defence were already last year -94 born players (excluding Hakaanpää).
Our 94 d-core will most likely be better a year from now. But considering the leap from U18 to U20 is this year, there's no reason to expect they'll be fully ready as of now. Same goes, without saying, also for our younger forwards.

So there. This year or next year? I dunno, to be honest. But for repetition's sake, claiming right now that "next year is better" is far too early. We might be wiser come the spring when we see better what's in the pipeline, but right now the 93s still make a difference.

What we can say however, is that THIS year is better than the last. MiG and Pulkkinen are gone, true. But we've got Teräväinen and Barkov who can fill the Stamp's skates. And we've still got Armia, who is, btw, far more promising than Pulkkinen. And more mature d-core. And overall better depth than last year this time.

Old
09-26-2012, 02:30 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmeilja View Post
Markus Granlund - Miikka Salomäki - Joel Armia
Miro Aaltonen - Aleksander Barkov - Artturi Lehkonen
Markus Hännikäinen - Teuvo Teräväinen - Toni Kallela
Henri Ikonen - Teemu Henritius - Matti Lamberg

Rasmus Ristolainen - Olli Määttä
Ville Pokka - Petteri Lindbohm
Patrik Parkkonen - Joonas Valkonen

Richard Ullberg
Janne Juvonen

Extra forward: Juuso Ikonen
Extra defender: Henri Auvinen
Extra goaltender: Samu Perhonen
I'm not saying that team doesn't look good and definitely plausible, but I'd like an elaboration on why you went for Kallela, H.Ikonen and Hännikäinen over Haapala, Salminen and Leino on forwards and Valkonen and Auvinen over Lindell and Vainonen in defense.

Because the way I see it, while any of those are by no means locks, I do see them in contention for the same slots, and at the moment they've got better showings IMO over the ones you picked. Sure, there's still hockey to be played before the team is named and things can change, but why like this as of now?

EDIT: My current picks, with reasonings:

Goalies

Starter: Ullberg. Only one with somewhat regular SM-liiga minutes.

Backup: Juvonen. The showing in playoffs last spring puts him here.

Contenders: Korpisalo, Perhonen. Like Juvonen, both play in Mestis, stats currently pretty interchangeable.

Defensemen

OD: Määttä, Ristolainen, Pokka and Lindell. First three are no-brainers. Lindell takes the last slot, for currently playing in SM-liiga and having a good frame.

Contenders: Tikkinen, Valkonen. Tikkinen hasn't been bad, only reason I picked Lindell over him is frame. Valkonen needs to make it to SM-liiga or put up good show in preliminary NT games.

DD, utility: Vainonen, Lindbohm, Parkkonen. First two have a good frame, Vainonen has had a good run with U18, Lindbohm at least currently in SM-liiga, as is Parkkonen. Stats interchangeable.

Contenders: Auvinen. Needs to play somewhere first to compare.

Forwards

1st line: Salomäki - Granlund - Armia. 'Nuff said. Whether you want to switch LW/C between Salomäki and MaG is up to you.

2nd line: Lehkonen - Barkov - Haapala. Lehkonen is a bit young, but he keeps this up, he'll be hard to ignore. Haapala looks like a natural fit with Barkov ATM.

3rd line: Aaltonen - Teräväinen - J.Ikonen. Well, more like a 2B line. Aaltonen, Ikonen play together (and produce) in Blues. Ikonen, Teräväinen are a tandem from U18.

Contenders for skill roles: Kallela. Has intense scoring in A-juniors. Not so impressive showings from men, at least yet. Still, a plausible pick for 13th forward.

4th line: Lamberg - Leino - Salminen. Lamberg and Salminen currently make the Jokerit 4th line wings. Leino is a Kiva-Harri familiar from last season. SM-liiga regular as well, while skilled offensively can play the defensive game as well.

Contenders: Hännikäinen, H.Ikonen. Hännikäinen was with the team last year, but for some reason he's in KiVa now while other Jokeri contenders for same role, Salminen and Lamberg are with the big team. H.Ikonen - good frame, fast, pesky. But doesn't bring anything special to the team. Necessary to haul a 4th liner from overseas?

Last edited by FiLe: 09-26-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old
09-26-2012, 02:33 PM
ChadS

Teemu Henritius will not be available for the WJC. He got a bad injury last week(?) against KalPa, tearing both his calf and achilles tendon. Estimated return somewhere around January/February.

Old
09-29-2012, 12:55 AM
Ihmeilja

Quote:
I'd like an elaboration on why you went for Kallela, H.Ikonen and Hännikäinen over Haapala, Salminen and Leino on forwards and Valkonen and Auvinen over Lindell and Vainonen in defense.
Ok, I would pair the forwards like this: Kallela-Haapala, Aaltonen-Haapala, H.Ikonen-Saku Salminen, Hännikäinen-Saku Salminen and Leino-Henritius.

I would choose Kallela over Haapala, because of two reasons: Haapala would be paired with Barkov, if he would be chosen because Barkov is the guy with whom his things work and if we forget Barkov, Haapala and Kallela are pretty much even. Eventually Kallelas older age, ability to score goals, skating speed and his role in Kalpa as a third liner makes him more suitable to play in third line role in the team.

Few people are putting Lehkonen, Barkov and Haapala to a same line. Well, Barkov and Haapala are the ready duo from Tappara, but in Tappara they play with the physical goalscorer Nieminen who brings physicality to the line. Lehkonen would give the line goalscoring and replace Nieminen in that area, but I really dont believe that line could work because it lacks physicality and history has shown, that underager lines just doesn't work against stronger opponents. I'm sure Lehkonen, Barkov and Haapala would score five goals against the weaker opponents but in games against Sweden, Russia, USA and Canada the line would be darkened.

I would put up the old duo Aaltonen and Barkov and put the two super 95 borns to a same line to give secondary scoring.
Both, Aaltonen and Kallela are physically better than Haapala, who weights 67 kg. I also believe that Aaltonen would give more goals, than Haapala and that Aaltonen would have more in his game, than Haapala.

In the H.Ikonen-Saku Salminen case I dont really care much. Both are 94 born, but I believe, that H.Ikonen would bring more scoring to the team, than Saku Salminen. H.Ikonen and Kallela could be connected and that would give more good variations to the lover lines. Saku Salminen has good showings from about 10 games and that wont put him in better position compared to Henri Ikonen.

Hännikäinen I would choose over Saku Salminen, because he is a year older and has experience from the last year championships.

In the case Leino-Henritius, it's hard to say wich is better, but now if Henritius is out, Leino should replace him.

Here is the big picture, I believe that only few underagers should be chosen, because teams with more experienced players have been the most succesful in this tournament:

Markus Granlund(93) - Miikka Salomäki(93) - Joel Armia(93)
Miro Aaltonen(93) - Aleksander Barkov(95) - Artturi Lehkonen(95)
Markus Hännikäinen(93) - Teuvo Teräväinen(94) - Toni Kallela(93)
Henri Ikonen(94) - Teemu Henritius(93) - Matti Lamberg(93)

Rasmus Ristolainen(94) - Olli Määttä(94)
Ville Pokka(94) - Petteri Lindbohm(93)
Patrik Parkkonen(93) - Joonas Valkonen(93)

Richard Ullberg(93)
Janne Juvonen(94)

Extra forward: Juuso Ikonen(95)
Extra defender: Henri Auvinen(93)
Extra goaltender: Samu Perhonen(93)

Oh, yeah and the D's. Vainonen hasn't been playing with mens yet, so I cant see him having any edge in taking place in that team. Vainonen is 94 and the team has enough underager D's.
Lindell would be a good choice though, hard to not to take to the team, but I'd still take 93 born players instead.

Old
09-29-2012, 03:03 AM
Tormentor

In my opinion Haapala is smarter as a player than Kallela, which I think is a valuable attribute, especially when the level of play gets higher. I have to agree though that while Kallela isn't a strong player, Haapala is at this point even weaker, it's fairly easy to push him around provided you catch him first. It's possible that with so many undersized forwards (Granlund, Teräväinen, Aaltonen, Lehkonen and probably J.Ikonen) already "locked in the lineup" coaches might be looking for stronger players than Haapala. Will be interesting to see what happens, it's hard to predict these things.

Lindell has his weaknesses but I would be really surprised if Parkkonen makes the team ahead of him, can't see it happening. And as far as I know Auvinen hasn't played a single regular season game so far this season.

Old
09-29-2012, 03:17 AM
Tormentor

On the other hand the following line-up might be a possibility:

Lehkonen - Granlund - Armia
Salomäki - Barkov - Haapala
Aaltonen - Teräväinen - J.Ikonen

Granlund and Armia have played together before. Salomäki replaces Nieminen on that Tappara line. Aaltonen - Teräväinen - J.Ikonen played together a lot at Lake Placid in August.

Old
09-29-2012, 05:19 AM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
Lindell has his weaknesses but I would be really surprised if Parkkonen makes the team ahead of him, can't see it happening. And as far as I know Auvinen hasn't played a single regular season game so far this season.
I have a feeling Lindell will develop a lot during this year since he will basically be playing with Väänänen the whole season, logging around 18 mins a game and PP-time on the 2nd unit. He's a big kid and he has already shown signs of development in his weaker areas such as physicality and defensive game. Still a very raw prospect, though.

Old
09-29-2012, 10:41 AM
edd1e

To Ihmeilja:

Henritius is out for a long time due to injury.

Old
09-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Ihmeilja

When I put Parkkonen to my lineup, I thought, that Parkkonen would play with Ässät most of the season, but it looks like Parkkonen is going to play in juniors for a while and that is crushing his shares, while Lindell has actually took a roster spot at Jokerit lineup.
Situation with Auvinen is unclear to me, but many wanted him to play already in the 2012 WJC's.

Old
09-29-2012, 12:57 PM
YARR123

Some notes from tonights Jokerit - HPK game concerning the youngsters:

Saku Salminen - Definately deserves a roster spot on the NT. For a heavily built kid he moves quite well on the ice (head bent down like Marko Anttila) and he plays an energetic game. Seems strong on his skates and didn't get outmatched physically at any point of the game. Even got a few scoring chances where he showcased his heavy slapshot. I was actually quite surprised at how well he skates, especially compared to how bad it looked last year. Imo we need these big kids on the team.

Esa Lindell - Had some trouble holding the puck in his own end, looked a bit scared. Overall his puck possession skills didn't really impress me, but with added confidence that will get better. In his own end he was quite solid, seems to read the game well and positioned himself quite well. Right now deserves a 3rd pairing role.

Matti Lamberg - I'd never even seen this guy play before but man, kids got some wheels! right now he's a lock for the team, no doubt. He plays a very straightforward game and get's to lot of situations due to his quick skating. Also has a sharp wrister, scored Jokerit's 5th goal today with a quick top corner snipe.

Overall, if we find a suitable center, the 4th line will look very good. Last year Paajanen and Kuronen were very lackadaisical on the 4th line, right now it seems that our 4th line could be a strength, not a weakness.

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote