HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Moving another team to the GTA

Old
09-20-2012, 09:21 PM
TmlHockeyFan

vCash: 500
Where would you place this team?
Etobicoke/Mississauga/Brampton

What franchise are you moving?
Phoenix Coyotes

What would you rename this team too?
Toronto Warriors -- A navy blue and black jersey with a longsword as the logo.

Where would you place the arena?
Maybe in Mississauga Square one where all the gobuses lead to.

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 09:51 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan View Post
Where would you place this team?
Etobicoke/Mississauga/Brampton

What franchise are you moving?
Phoenix Coyotes

What would you rename this team too?
Toronto Warriors -- A navy blue and black jersey with a longsword as the logo.

Where would you place the arena?
Maybe in Mississauga Square one where all the gobuses lead to.
Head North. North of 407 and 400; Is the perfect spot.

MS1 makes a great hub to have direct shuttles to and from.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Toronto Top Cheese

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Urban Explorer*

I bet they would make the playoffs before the Leafs

Urban Explorer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:27 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Explorer View Post
I bet they would make the playoffs before the Leafs
Well yeah, considering the majority of struggling NHL teams are currently better than the Leafs.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 07:33 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Head North. North of 407 and 400; Is the perfect spot.

MS1 makes a great hub to have direct shuttles to and from.
Mass transportation arteries are critical - even though owners just seem to think about highways (for high-profile placement of stadium name, bigger naming rights fees). You can't beat the ACC for connectivity: all roads lead to Rome. That's the argument in favour of a Hamilton location: put it on the GO line and the new streetcar line, and draw from Niagara, K/W, Guelph, and everything between Toronto and Hamilton.

The 400/407 interchange isn't a bad notion, if there's a GO stop nearby (or, ultimately, an extension of the subway from York).

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 07:47 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
The Hershey Centre was built in some remote part of Mississauga surrounded by warehouses and office buildings. No one normally goes there, there's one bus which goes by the arena (and ironically not duing games at night lol). That team probably would have been more successful if it had 1. marketed itself and 2. been located near the Mississauga downtown within walking distance from Square One and the main bus terminal there.
Hershey was some of the last greenfield expansion of the undeveloped space in the 403 corridor. It was never built for convenience, it was strictly a development deal with ready available space. The City got much bigger development fees from all the condos they're building around Square One, which goes to show thattrade decisions are rarely made out of the best interests of the stadium and sports franchise.

The Sens and Coyotes' arenas are similar examples: placed where they are to anchor developments, not to attract fans. Same with the proposed Markham arena.

Old
09-21-2012, 02:43 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
As a young guy with a limited budget, I don't have an exorbitant amount of money I can spend on live sports all year, so when I do fork over some money to go watch the Leafs in the nosebleeds once or twice a year, that's already a special treat. I don't have the resources, attention span or interest in going up to god knows where GTA to watch the Toronto Coyotes, to be honest.

As far as corporate sponsorships and affiliations, you have to wonder how far away the Bay Street crowd is willing to commute to go watch the new club. I think that's honestly a huge disadvantage.
I have to disagree..I think another GTA team would be very successful...there are enough NHL fans in the GTA who hate the Leafs that would immediately support the new franchise. Imagine the rivalry between the two Toronto teams. It would be epic. On one side die hard Life Leaf fans and on the other side Anybody but The Leafs mentality.....probably would turn into a Ticat-Argo type war where there are brawls in the stands. I would welcome another GTA team. I wouldn't change my allegiance but they probably would become my Toronto Playoff team

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 12:47 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
I have to disagree..I think another GTA team would be very successful...there are enough NHL fans in the GTA who hate the Leafs that would immediately support the new franchise. Imagine the rivalry between the two Toronto teams. It would be epic. On one side die hard Life Leaf fans and on the other side Anybody but The Leafs mentality.....probably would turn into a Ticat-Argo type war where there are brawls in the stands. I would welcome another GTA team. I wouldn't change my allegiance but they probably would become my Toronto Playoff team
Maybe a true rivalry would form, but I guess I have my doubts as to whether those "anybody but the Leafs" fans could actually love a team for those reasons. It's still really Leafscentric if you know what I mean.

And as far feasibility goes, it seems more reasonable because the Leafs have been in the toilet for so long. Maybe this is jumping the gun a little, but I wonder what happens to Team B when they're mediocre and playing in an arena in the suburbs and the Leafs are actually a legit contender and it's 1993 all over again? As a prospective new owner of that franchise, I don't want to be the LA Clippers in the 90s...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 12:51 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
The idea of a second GTA team is sort of stupid, the assumption is there's so much demand for the NHL, blah blah blah that a second organization could just sop up the demand from the Leafs like gravy. It could just be that there's demand for the Toronto Maple Leafs. Who actually wants to go watch the B team?
The second Toronto team would be the 3rd highest valued in the entire NHL the second it joins the league. Yes, it would be a massive success.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 12:52 PM
RogerRoeper*

Mississauga would be an ideal place. The boom in that area is pretty ridiculous right now.

Old
09-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
The second Toronto team would be the 3rd highest valued in the entire NHL the second it joins the league. Yes, it would be a massive success.
Or they end up like a clear cut B team like the Los Angeles Clippers.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 03:39 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Or they end up like a clear cut B team like the Los Angeles Clippers.
You are not wrong. It may. I would hedge my bets that it would be a success though. Is pro basketball in LA equivalent to pro hockey in Toronto? Not sure about that. I certainly think that the franchise would do better than any struggling non traditional market is doing. I know what you are saying about Toronto being Leafcentric though. It is doubtful that any of that would change any time soon. But imagine hockey in May in Toronto and its not the Leafs...you dont think there would be some interest? A struggling B franchise would still be profitable IMO. A winning one would probably give the Leafs a run for their money if they continue to stay bottom feeders.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 03:53 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Mississauga would be an ideal place. The boom in that area is pretty ridiculous right now.
The wave of boom growth has actually passed Mississauga by at this point - the sprawl is now out beyond Brampton to the north and Milton to the west. I'm sure places to the east like Markham, Stouffville, Pickering, Ajax etc are all going through it now.

But Mississauga is the 7th largest city in Canada and has more corporate head offices than any other city in the GTA other than Toronto itself. (Probably has more than most cities not named Montreal or Vancouver, as well). So it's got that going for it.

But the attitude in Mississauga - as in other suburbs across the GTA - is that you go to Toronto for events. Who knows if that would change with an NHL franchise on their doorstep?

Old
09-22-2012, 06:56 PM
HookeyPlayer

I think that the 905 suburbs are slowly trying to find their own identity, which comes with an increasing population (Mississauga is larger than Detroit & Milwaukee I believe).

Obviously Toronto will have more attractions for the forseeable future, but the 905 also wants people to live, work and play in the same area. For example, Celebration Square has been a hit, there are plans for IcePark and to develop their Waterfront, and have better transit.

So I think the addition of an NHL franchise can only expediate things in Markham, Mississauga or Hamilton (though Hamilton is already more self-sufficient given its had more time to grow).

IcePark

Celebration Square
They have regular events here like music performances, movie nights, and was also active during EuroCup

HookeyPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 07:12 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalFlesh View Post
Anyone have anymore ideas? I need help!!!!!!!!!
Whichever municipality that is dumb enough to build you an arena with a sweet-heart lease.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 01:26 AM
MorriPage

I think a second team in the GTA or even Toronto itself is a fantastic idea. A little internal competition would be great for this franchise. I'd never jup ship and support the new Toronto team over the Leafs, but they instantly become my second favourite team. Not to mention the pressure it would put on the Leafs to ice a winning product. The embarrassment it would cause the Leafs, especially Burke, if the second Toronto team made the playoffs or (heaven forbid) won the Cup before his squad did.

MorriPage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 04:14 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
Quote:
The idea of a second GTA team is sort of stupid, the assumption is there's so much demand for the NHL, blah blah blah that a second organization could just sop up the demand from the Leafs like gravy. It could just be that there's demand for the Toronto Maple Leafs. Who actually wants to go watch the B team?
Depressed Leafs fans?

I don't like the idea of another team in the GTA, go to Quebec first.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 05:33 AM
Urban Explorer*

Build a second ACC in the parking lot across Bay st. (there's room) and name the team the Toronto Maple Leafs. I'ts cool they did it in the CFL! This 2nd maple leaf team would wear red leafs uniforms instead of blue. Then it could be like back in the day wrestling with NWO wolfpack vs NWO hollywood. The rivalry would be amazing it would be like bloods and crypts. The best part is you would still be cheering for the Toronto Maple Leafs! You would just have to pick if you were for the BLUE OR RED. write that down. yes i have been drinking

Urban Explorer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 08:06 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0Leaf fan0o View Post
Depressed Leafs fans?

I don't like the idea of another team in the GTA, go to Quebec first.
Toronto is a much better option than Quebec City.

Quebec City is such a tiny market and the Quebec economy is in such shambles. And the PQ getting in is already sinking the economy more.

Last edited by RogerRoeper*: 09-23-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old
09-23-2012, 08:22 AM
MorriPage

Look at the bright side in all of this. If a new team moves in, maybe the average fan will be able to afford tickets for a change.

MorriPage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 08:27 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
if you have the chance to go watch the best players in the world play why would you pass that up? no matter whose playing if I could get tickets(afford to buy them) I would go every game I could. just because you went to watch a game or 2 wouldn't mean you "Jumped Ship".

and btw I would argue even if you took away the leaf fans in Toronto the Hockey fans here would still out number the hockey fans in cities like Florida, Phoenix, Dallas.
Absolutely, you could fill the place just with the Anti Leaf fans. I'd go to every game I could if tickets were under 100 bucks. If you think tickets won't be available at that price then what's the argument? Must mean they'd be the 2nd most profitable team in the league.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 08:34 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
Absolutely, you could fill the place just with the Anti Leaf fans. I'd go to every game I could if tickets were under 100 bucks. If you think tickets won't be available at that price then what's the argument? Must mean they'd be the 2nd most profitable team in the league.
I think people who claim it's only a Leaf town are forgetting about how many hockry fans haven't ever been to the ACC due to cost/trouble getting tickets.

Make the tickets cheaper and the place sells-out no problem. (Second Toronto team)

Also, there are many companies who would love to advertize at the ACC but can't. This would be a great option for them.

Last edited by RogerRoeper*: 09-23-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old
09-23-2012, 08:38 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
Quote:
Toronto is a much better option than Quebec City.

Quebec City is such a tiny market and the Quebec economy is in such shambles. And the PQ getting in is already sinking the economy more.
Yea, I know, I'm just being selfish.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 08:43 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorriPage View Post
I think a second team in the GTA or even Toronto itself is a fantastic idea. A little internal competition would be great for this franchise. I'd never jup ship and support the new Toronto team over the Leafs, but they instantly become my second favourite team. Not to mention the pressure it would put on the Leafs to ice a winning product. The embarrassment it would cause the Leafs, especially Burke, if the second Toronto team made the playoffs or (heaven forbid) won the Cup before his squad did.
Sadly, I agree. Although even if not successful, being second fiddle to the Leafs financially is nothing to be ashamed of. We're not talking Islanders here.

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote