Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

II. Tommy G's Steak and Chop House

Closed Thread

Old
09-23-2012, 10:15 AM
TrillMike

vCash: 500
I don't listen to rap. Few things bug me more than when I'm at a store and here a song like Hide and Seek or Harder Better Faster Stronger get absoltutely butchered by some guy wearing a big chain who can talk fast over an artist's work. The whole concept of sampling grinds my gears too.

Old
09-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Ambassador Of Fun

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by aisforaaron83 View Post
you got it wrong on both accounts.

The Bassnectar remix of Ellie Ghoulding's Lights is better. it just highlights the chorus (the only time her voice shines) and puts a simple, but effective beat behind it.

On the second, he original that you really want to hear is Imogean Heap's Hide and Seek (the hook). the guy rapping over it ruins it, IMO.

enjoy
Oh I know of both of those. I like them both, but had to give props where props were due for the pop music genre since it generally produces 99% trash.

Old
09-23-2012, 10:49 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
I don't listen to rap. Few things bug me more than when I'm at a store and here a song like Hide and Seek or Harder Better Faster Stronger get absoltutely butchered by some guy wearing a big chain who can talk fast over an artist's work. The whole concept of sampling grinds my gears too.
Umm...

Old
09-23-2012, 10:58 AM
Ambassador Of Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Umm...
What did Daft Punk sample in that? I just assume most songs are sampling something. Doesn't bother me.

Old
09-23-2012, 11:20 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

Old
09-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I've had a few friends who tried desperately to get me into metal. I'm not really sure why, but they have. The only thing that ever stuck was Opeth. Really, that's only because they aren't that metal half of the time in their songs, that and they're so damn talented. Point is, listening to Opeth does not make me enjoy metal, I still hate modern metal.

So in 2004 when the last lockout occurred I taught myself the basics of cooking. I think I was about 15 or 16 at the time, I wonder what hobbies we'll all pick up to fill the time?
I wonder if your friends just don't listen to crappy modern metal

Old
09-23-2012, 11:59 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Everyone should just listen to Owl City and the world would be so much more peaceful.

Old
09-23-2012, 12:14 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
You'll learn some day

Start on Opeth and it's easy to make that transition.
Just saw this from a month ago haha, missed it somehow.

I love Opeth already. I guess I was a bit deceptive, I actually really like Melo-Death. Old school in Flames, all Dark Tranquility, Insomnium, Amon Amarth, etc. Then branch into the Gothic/Viking/Doom stuff - Wintersun, Therion, Ensiferum, Eluvite, Battlelore, Draconian, Swallow the Sun, etc etc.

My real love probably would be Prog, which is where Opeth somewhat comes in. But I like the melodic prog too, Dream Theater, Suspyre, Shadow Gallery, Protest the Hero, Devin Townsend, etc.

I don't think I'll ever get into hardcore Death metal or Black metal though tbh. Just need them melodies in mah metal!

Old
09-23-2012, 12:19 PM
TrillMike

vCash: 500
Quote:
Umm...
Okay, you got me. I don't know why I used that one as an example. Fish Stick loving Kayne West just crucified that song.

Old
09-23-2012, 01:18 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

Just pointing out that Daft Punk and Kanye are 2 peas in a pod when it comes to sampling. Which IMO there's nothing wrong with. It's just a tool, it can be used well or poorly. Musicians have been ripping each other off and building on what's come before them since the dawn of time -- and that's a good thing.

Speaking of pop music.... I've been wanting to ask you glovesave: What's the reaction in Korea to Gangnam Style becoming a hit here?

Old
09-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Just saw this from a month ago haha, missed it somehow.

I love Opeth already. I guess I was a bit deceptive, I actually really like Melo-Death. Old school in Flames, all Dark Tranquility, Insomnium, Amon Amarth, etc. Then branch into the Gothic/Viking/Doom stuff - Wintersun, Therion, Ensiferum, Eluvite, Battlelore, Draconian, Swallow the Sun, etc etc.

My real love probably would be Prog, which is where Opeth somewhat comes in. But I like the melodic prog too, Dream Theater, Suspyre, Shadow Gallery, Protest the Hero, Devin Townsend, etc.

I don't think I'll ever get into hardcore Death metal or Black metal though tbh. Just need them melodies in mah metal!
Check out Ghost Brigade, I think you'd dig them. I'd never heard of them until they came up on Spotify one day...

Not related to the death/black metal part of your post, more the prog/doom part.

Old
09-23-2012, 06:35 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Speaking of pop music.... I've been wanting to ask you glovesave: What's the reaction in Korea to Gangnam Style becoming a hit here?
Well, you guys will have to shed some light on how big it really is in the States. I know it's getting airplay and is a "hit" but is there a pop comparable from years past you could relate it to? Are we talking Macarena level?

Koreans are generally very proud and that definitely holds true for their feelings regarding Kpop. Obviously, Gangnam Style is the biggest thing going here these days and the people are loving that it's a worldwide hit.

Old
09-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Ambassador Of Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Well, you guys will have to shed some light on how big it really is in the States. I know it's getting airplay and is a "hit" but is there a pop comparable from years past you could relate it to? Are we talking Macarena level?

Koreans are generally very proud and that definitely holds true for their feelings regarding Kpop. Obviously, Gangnam Style is the biggest thing going here these days and the people are loving that it's a worldwide hit.
Equal to Macarena. More than likely surpassing it.

Old
09-23-2012, 10:14 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador Of Fun View Post
Dunno that it's that huge yet, but it's definitely getting up there.

I could watch that video all day

Old
09-23-2012, 10:19 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Thanks, that's kinda what I figured. It feels like one of those songs where you know you shouldn't like it. You swear you don't. But the producers have found a way to infiltrate the collective psyche to not be able to help but like it even a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Dunno that it's that huge yet...
Serious question. Were you even alive yet when the Macarena was a thing?

Old
09-23-2012, 10:29 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Serious question. Were you even alive yet when the Macarena was a thing?
Very, very young. But I asked my dad that question, and he said exactly what I posted.

Old
09-23-2012, 10:47 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Very, very young. But I asked my dad that question, and he said exactly what I posted.
I will be polling my American friends shortly for more insight.

Old
09-23-2012, 10:52 PM
Ambassador Of Fun

Quote:
I will be polling my American friends shortly for more insight.
The advent of Youtube makes the poll hard, as well as the age of most of your friends I would assume. I know in elementary school for me (1995-2000), the entire school did the Macarena during school assemblies for a couple years. I don't think that is happening with Gangnam Style, but Gangnam Style is on regular rotation on radio stations more so than the Macarena. I'd say in 50 years, they will be looked back at as a very similar concept.

Old
09-23-2012, 10:54 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

Quote:
The advent of Youtube makes the poll hard, as well as the age of most of your friends I would assume. I know in elementary school for me (1995-2000), the entire school did the Macarena during school assemblies for a couple years.
Haha, oh man. I remember that. Same thing at my elementary school... the girls would do the dance even during the time before class or whatever. I remember thinking how unbelievably stupid the whole thing was. This was before irony had been invented, naturally.

Old
09-23-2012, 11:32 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
The advent of Youtube makes the poll hard, as well as the age of most of your friends I would assume. I know in elementary school for me (1995-2000), the entire school did the Macarena during school assemblies for a couple years. I don't think that is happening with Gangnam Style, but Gangnam Style is on regular rotation on radio stations more so than the Macarena. I'd say in 50 years, they will be looked back at as a very similar concept.
Shouldn't be anything too difficult about asking them which seems to be the larger cultural phenomena. One also has the benefit of having been introduced to Gangnam Style while visiting me, only to return home to find it had made its appearance State-side.

The majority of my friends are 24-30.

Old
09-23-2012, 11:58 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
I wouldn't say Gangnam Style is on the Macarena's level yet. Not even "Call me Maybe" level yet. I think you have to see how much staying power it has, whether it'll still be around in 6 months, let alone years later.

Old
09-24-2012, 01:17 AM
glovesave_35
Name

To be honest I find it really weird that it's popular at all anywhere outside of Korea. Most of the song is in Korean.

Old
09-24-2012, 01:51 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
To be honest I find it really weird that it's popular at all anywhere outside of Korea. Most of the song is in Korean.
That's what makes it even more popular IMO, at least with my group of friends.

Wasn't a lot of the Macarena in spanish too? It's been so long since I've heard it.

Old
09-24-2012, 02:25 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Wasn't a lot of the Macarena in spanish too? It's been so long since I've heard it.
Yeah it was but the number of people with a passable understanding of Spanish is high. Nobody except Korean-Americans and uber nerds know more than a few words of Korean.

Old
09-24-2012, 10:40 AM
aisforaaron83

vCash: 1075
Quote:
the video is hilarious, and the dance is macarena-esque. those are the reasons. That Psy guy is on TMZ all the time trying to teach the paparazzi the horse dance thing. good sense of humor matters more than the music in this case, I think.

Closed Thread