HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tomas Hertl leads San Jose Sharks' prospects poised for big 2012-13 seasons

Old
09-23-2012, 05:00 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Tomas Hertl leads San Jose Sharks' prospects poised for big 2012-13 seasons

The San Jose Sharks finished the 2011-12 season with arguably the worst prospect pool in the entire NHL. This has been a familiar trend within the Sharks organization over the past few seasons as they have looked to contend in the Western Conference and have sacrificed some of their future to do so. Despite the lack of top-tier talent, the Sharks’ prospect pipeline has become something of a well-oiled machine; year after year lesser known, unheralded players go in, and well-developed, NHL-ready talent comes out. The Sharks head into the 2012-13 season with a strong batch of relative unknowns, hoping to silence the critics.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 05:21 PM

Boy, it's great to hear Petrecki was finally putting it together at the end of last season, and that he was shooting more than the first four months.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 08:50 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

I guess it was too much to hope to get two very solid articles in a row after that outstanding top 20 that was put together a few weeks ago.

This is right back to the shallow, disappointing level of coverage that one has to expect out of having to task a writer without any familiarity with the team to create it.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 09:06 PM
Craig Fischer
Hockey's Future Staff

Sorry to hear that 'The Nemesis'.

I'm not here to argue or defend my piece (I think there are some really adept observations, Viedensky as a breakout offesnsive player?! I just loved how he ended the season, but to each their own!) However... I would love to hear how you think I could improve for the next go around.

Thanks for reading the article.

Craig Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 10:06 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

I should've added that I don't fault you for the issues I have with the article. Obviously you're already a writer for another team, and it's a bit much to expect you or any writer to have the same level of familiarity and depth of knowledge with a team that you've basically been handed an assignment for compared to the one that you presumably signed up to cover on a regular basis. It's a fault of the Sharks not having had a regular HF writer for ages. I apologize if my comment came across as snide or excessively dismissive. We (the Sharks board) have kind of become jaded with the level of coverage we get from HF, so it's basically a knee jerk reaction to see an HF article we find unsatisfactory and retort "here we go again".

My specific issues with the article are largely unimportant since it's more of a general issue that the article feels like it was written with someone who had to do their homework on the prospect pool after being handed the assignment (as opposed to someone who's been following the team for some time). Again, that's not really your fault since you were likely simply tasked with writing a Sharks piece in the absence of a dedicated team writer.

And some of my other issues are more to do with the formatting and structure of the article than about the content. And part of that is my fault for often holding writing to a far higher standard than is realistic or can be expected for a given situation.

The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 12:22 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

If people on the sharks board are so worked up about the coverage we get on this site, and they complain about the knowledge of said people who do write the articles about the sharks prospects/players. Then why don't one of the members here take the job of writing for the sharks. That way there would be no complaints about the knowledge of the articles about our players.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 08:52 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
If people on the sharks board are so worked up about the coverage we get on this site, and they complain about the knowledge of said people who do write the articles about the sharks prospects/players. Then why don't one of the members here take the job of writing for the sharks. That way there would be no complaints about the knowledge of the articles about our players.
Honestly there are only a few people qualified on this board who get to see our prospects play enough to really form an educated opinion. Then they would have to have the time/want to do it. As well as being a decent writer, and being approved by HF.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Fischer View Post
Sorry to hear that 'The Nemesis'.

I'm not here to argue or defend my piece (I think there are some really adept observations, Viedensky as a breakout offesnsive player?! I just loved how he ended the season, but to each their own!) However... I would love to hear how you think I could improve for the next go around.

Thanks for reading the article.
You should love how Viedensky ended last season, but you should be loving what you saw on the other end of the ice. As the season went on he became one of (if not THE) best penalty killer on the team, and despite being a minus in the last couple months of the season he was a lot more solid on defense after the new year.

Old
09-24-2012, 05:25 PM
chris39bong

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
You should love how Viedensky ended last season, but you should be loving what you saw on the other end of the ice. As the season went on he became one of (if not THE) best penalty killer on the team, and despite being a minus in the last couple months of the season he was a lot more solid on defense after the new year.
210: That's good to hear. I was high on him coming out of juniors. Hope he continues to improve in the A this year. He looks to have a high end 3rd line center ceiling at the NHL level if he can regain his confidence on offense.

Craig Fischer: I liked the piece. It's not overly in-depth, but still provides a fair amount of accurate insight to the casual reader. As Nem mentioned, it's hard to expect a whole lot more without a full-time Sharks writer. Keep up the good work! I think you were spot on about the Sharks having a horrible prospect pool on paper but still getting NHL talent from out of nowhere (mid- to late- round picks).

chris39bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 05:32 PM
Craig Fischer
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Yep, I totally agree that's why I wrote, "Proving to be a talented force on the penalty kill, Viedensky ended the year with tremendous confidence away from the puck. Expect that confidence to translate into increased ice-time and more opportunity in the offensive zone and a reemergence of his strong two-way play from 2010-11." I'd take your best pk'er on the team statement, and push the envelope a little further, I'd probably need to look at the data a bit closer and not just speak from my qualitative analysis, but I think he showed the capability of being one of the better pk'ers in the AHL.

Old
09-24-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Fischer View Post
... I'd probably need to look at the data a bit closer and not just speak from my qualitative analysis...
What data would that be? Compared to the NHL the AHL tracks virtually nothing...

Old
09-24-2012, 06:46 PM
Craig Fischer
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
What data would that be? Compared to the NHL the AHL tracks virtually nothing...
Mostly raw TOI Software data.

AHL teams actually track A LOT despite the AHL not actually having an official to do the work. Every team actually tracks ice time (the officials will actually refer to in-house spotters for +/-, who was on the ice etc). And what's more amazing this information is readily available to people trying to statistically solve the mysteries of the game thanks to people like Brian Burke--who aren't 'stat nerds', but don't want to leave any stone unturned.