HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who are the PP D-Men this year?

Old
09-23-2012, 10:14 PM
KaraLupin
카라

vCash: 500
Who are the PP D-Men this year?

Who are gonna be the big 2 guys on the PP?

Faulk and Joni?

Faulk and Mcbain?

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 10:37 PM
Novacane
My Hero

I'd say Corvo and Pitkanen on the first pairing and Faulk and McBain on the second pairing. I feel like they brought in Corvo to have Faulk focus more on the defensive side of the game, so it would be a huge WTF signing if Corvo was put on the 2nd pairing, imo.

Or I may be completely off base with that assessment and they actually brought in Corvo for what they called his "familiarity with Gleason", in which case I'm scared thinking they want to give Corvo that many mpg.

Novacane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 11:09 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

^ That makes sense, but it puts two RHD on the second pairing. That doesn't work well.

Possibly they could have a forward play the point instead of Faulk?

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Novacane
My Hero

Maybe Harrison instead of Faulk? Or maybe a forward like you said.

Old
09-23-2012, 11:19 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Harrison was ok on the PP last year. I could see that happening if he keeps working on that slap shot.

Old
09-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Chrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
I'd say Corvo and Pitkanen on the first pairing and Faulk and McBain on the second pairing. I feel like they brought in Corvo to have Faulk focus more on the defensive side of the game, so it would be a huge WTF signing if Corvo was put on the 2nd pairing, imo.

Or I may be completely off base with that assessment and they actually brought in Corvo for what they called his "familiarity with Gleason", in which case I'm scared thinking they want to give Corvo that many mpg.
Wasn't Pitkanen-Corvo a PP disaster the last time we tried it? It seems like it makes perfect sense, but for whatever reason those two didn't click.

In which case, I think we'd see Pitkanen-Faulk and McBain-Corvo. Still two RH on the second unit, but I think that makes more sense than leaving McBain, Corvo, or Faulk off the PP.

Last edited by Chrispy: 09-24-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Quacktastic
Whoopsie!

I feel like McBain-Pitkanen and Faulk-Harrison would make sense because those pairs played a lot together at even strength last year, so they should already have a little chemistry. Pitkanen and McBain are pretty good puck movers, so they would probably be a better fit for a first unit of Semin-EStaal-Jokinen/Tlusty/whoever to enable them to have more chances down low or from the side wall, or possibly create some one timers from the slot. Then on the second unit we could put some big bodies in front of the net like a line of Skinner-JStaal-Ruutu where Faulk and Harrison just try to get the puck on net and the forwards either screen the goalie, or fight for rebounds.

Quacktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

vCash: 50
S11//S12//Semin
Corvo//Pitkänen

Tlusty//Jokinen//Skinner
McBain//Ruutu

Thoughts?

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 12:19 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
S11//S12//Semin
Corvo//Pitkänen

Tlusty//Jokinen//Skinner
McBain//Ruutu

Thoughts?
No.

What part of Ruutu's game suggests to you that he'd be a good powerplay QB, if you don't mind me asking?

Listen everyone, I get the whole "two same-handed pointmen can't be on the same pairing," I really do. But JR is on record as saying that Faulk's like the best teenage defenseman he's ever seen. If they really are willing to not play one of Pitkanen, McBain, Corvo, or Faulk simply based on handedness, what in the world makes you think Faulk's gonna be the odd man out? Two months ago weren't we basically talking about Corvo being the 7th defenseman?

Prediction: We have basically three point pairings on the powerplay:

Pitkanen - Faulk
Pitkanen - McBain
Pitkanen - Corvo

While I wouldn't say our D is good this year, I definitely think it's a little better, and I think that means we can reduce Pitkanen's even strength minutes to let him play basically the entire PP.

(On an off note, Sanguinetti being a righty certainly doesn't help his chances of making this team...)

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Novacane
My Hero

I was too tired to realize this last night, and haven't followed the call-up/send down list enough to notice that I left Murphy off the list. I guess it's assumed/fact(?) at this point without training camp that he'll spend next year in Kitchener?

Old
09-24-2012, 05:01 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
(On an off note, Sanguinetti being a righty certainly doesn't help his chances of making this team...)
Kind of ironic, really. When we acquired him we were desperate for a righty. With Faulk on the team and Murphy in the oven, there's really not a place for Sangs anymore. Maybe he'll get some injury callups, but IMO he's not a future full-time NHL'er here or elsewhere.

Old
09-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Caniac125330

E Staal-J Staal-Semin
Faulk-Corvo

Skinner-Jokinen-Ruutu
Mcbain-Pitkanen

Caniac125330 is offline   Reply With Quote