HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXX - Naughty Edition

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2012, 12:36 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
uh??????????????????????????????? if you dont win the cup you didn't want it enough. also you lacked leadership and grit and also good old canadian heart. if you have all those things and you lost, the other team was cheating through reffing/balance/coaching/fanbase
Skip? Skip Bayless?

Old
09-18-2012, 01:36 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Unfortunately luck plays a bigger role in the playoffs than we'd like to believe.
But if you depend on solely luck, the majority of the time you end up as the Cinderella Story that just doesn't have what it takes. Think Phoenix and New Jersey in last year's playoffs.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
09-18-2012, 01:36 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Skip? Skip Bayless?
nice one.

Old
09-21-2012, 01:42 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
But if you depend on solely luck, the majority of the time you end up as the Cinderella Story that just doesn't have what it takes. Think Phoenix and New Jersey in last year's playoffs.
I think what he meant that even if you ice an incredible lineup, you still have to be lucky enough to stay relatively healthy and get some lucky bounces along the way. Any team can also run into a 2010 (believe that's the year) Halak like Washington and Pittsburg ran into. Luck plays a decent role in giving an oppertunity for a good team to win the cup.

Old
09-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Bleach Clean

To switch gears here: I've been trying to figure out what exactly will prevent Schroeder from securing the 3rd line C spot this season?

He's got the IQ, speed, puck handling and distribution abilities you want in a C. He even showed further defensive development last year. So then, why is he expected to fail at this role?

If we compare it to Hodgson who didn't engage much, didn't hold up defensively, and also lacked size, what do people see as the major difference between the two? And is that difference large enough to say Schroeder cannot have a Hodgson like impact this year? Maybe not all the points, but you get the idea. Why is it expected Schroeder can't fit the bill?

Old
09-21-2012, 12:28 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Why is it expected Schroeder can't fit the bill?
It depends on what AV wants from that line.

Old
09-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
When you're on the wrong end it sure does suck but when you're on the good end.... boy is it ever great!

Fun enough, while I did cheer and shout a little when that happened. I was more ecstatic when we took down Chicago. The Sharks seemed doomed to fall way too early. Point taken though. The lucky movements we have had... those are awesome.

Old
09-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
To switch gears here: I've been trying to figure out what exactly will prevent Schroeder from securing the 3rd line C spot this season?

He's got the IQ, speed, puck handling and distribution abilities you want in a C. He even showed further defensive development last year. So then, why is he expected to fail at this role?

If we compare it to Hodgson who didn't engage much, didn't hold up defensively, and also lacked size, what do people see as the major difference between the two? And is that difference large enough to say Schroeder cannot have a Hodgson like impact this year? Maybe not all the points, but you get the idea. Why is it expected Schroeder can't fit the bill?
Schroeder is also significantly faster than Cody, but Hodgson is probably much stronger in the corners. I personally think the speed may be a more valuable asset.

I hope to see Jordan succeed at the NHL level this year, lord knows he put in the time and effort to.

Old
09-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:

Beats me; seems that he also showed the all important willingness to improve his play without the puck (which will make AV happy).

Old
09-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:

I have no idea why people aren't pencilling him in more often for the 3C role... thats where I put him. Flank him with Hansen & someone big (Kassian?) and that is a 3rd line with speed, scoring ability & some defensive reliance (not as much as 2011 3rd line but better then when Coho was the 3C)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrir604 View Post
Schroeder is also significantly faster than Cody, but Hodgson is probably much stronger in the corners. I personally think the speed may be a more valuable asset.

I hope to see Jordan succeed at the NHL level this year, lord knows he put in the time and effort to.
Didn't see that in his time here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Fun enough, while I did cheer and shout a little when that happened. I was more ecstatic when we took down Chicago. The Sharks seemed doomed to fall way too early. Point taken though. The lucky movements we have had... those are awesome.
I remember being so confused until they showed the replay then I was stoked... no where near Burrows goal stoked but one of the biggest goals I've seen & will probably remember it & where I was for it. I remember going out to my kitchen where my roommate was watching it & was just like "Holy shi*t..... we're going to play for the Cup!"

.... seems like that was our last bit of luck & boy was it ever lucky!

Old
09-21-2012, 03:10 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:

On paper, not too much.

That being said it's extremely rare for a young player to break into the league and be consistently at the level he needs to be to get 14-15 minutes of ice time on a night in, night out basis. And Schroeder has certainly shown in his career thusfar that he is not immune to bouts of inconsistency and backwards steps in his development.

Of course, that's not saying he isn't capable of winning the spot, and if the Canucks are comfortable with the alternative (going with Sedin/Kesler/Malhotra/Lapierre down the middle, or in a worst case scenario Sedin/Ebbett/Malhotra/Lapierre to start the season) then I see no reason why they can't let Schroeder compete for that job.

I think that if there was no lockout, it would be likeliest that Schroeder would make the team out of camp and play with the team's two best wingers (other than Daniel and probably Burrows) for a few weeks while Ryan Kesler rehabilitates, and then probably bounce between the third and fourth lines and the pressbox (or even a stint in Chicago) the rest of the year.

Old
09-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
When you're on the wrong end it sure does suck but when you're on the good end.... boy is it ever great!

That same ********* stanchion. That same ********* stanchion helped Bergeron score the SHG to put the B's up 3-0 in game 7. I hate that stanchion so ********* much.

Old
09-21-2012, 04:08 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Chalk me up as someone who does not pencil Shroeder in on our third line. Presently I would pencil him in on our second line with Kesler being out, but I'm forming this opinion with the mindset that we are looking at the lineup once there is a cba and that cba is concluded by the time Kesler is healthy again.

1) It's hard to say what will happen once the cba is signed, there would probably be a really accelerated pre-season, but i don't know if wolves will be joining that camp which shroeder will be

2) we've seen veterans take spots from rookies all the time under our current management. the best player wins, sadly the veterans seem better at camps and more experienced winning spots (or our prospects just aren't that great)

3) complimenting shroeder with kassian to get the size/speed combo sounds great, but really what are the chances two guys that young are given the reigns of our third line?

Shroeder will get his chance, and i'm sure he'll play the 3c position for periods of time, but i wouldn't pencil him in there myself.

With all that being said I hope I'm wrong, I want him to play in the NHL and be successful of course, I think he will be eventually

Old
09-21-2012, 04:29 PM
wholesickcrew

Quote:

And didn't Schroeder have a better camp last year? I didn't have access to a TV at the time, but did check the boards, and it seemed that people were quite impressed with Schroeder while the same opinion seemed kind of forced with Hodgson since people wanted to see him do well so badly.

Old
09-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholesickcrew View Post
And didn't Schroeder have a better camp last year?
I thought he did. Not to the point of being an NHLer, but you can see the improvement in his defensive game. At least he seemed a more complete player than Hodgson at that point.

Old
09-21-2012, 08:43 PM
Bleach Clean

I didn't find Hodgson to be all that good at corner battles. He was better at going to the net though. That much seems a clear edge.

I guess I'm trying to narrow down the differences between Hodgson and Schroeder to understand how one could succeed, like Hodgson seemed to, and one can be outright dismissed?

Young players will have consistency issues. Schroeder can be up and down. But was Hodgson any more consistent by comparison?

Old
09-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

The reality of the 3rd line is its anchored by #36's +18 and who spent 26% TOI with mm, 26% with ch and 20% with sp. Top 2 LW on that line were Higgins and Raymond. So Schroeder or whoever will be very well surrounded.

Old
09-23-2012, 07:14 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
The reality of the 3rd line is its anchored by #36's +18 and who spent 26% TOI with mm, 26% with ch and 20% with sp. Top 2 LW on that line were Higgins and Raymond. So Schroeder or whoever will be very well surrounded.
exactly, I would be nervous putting him into a position where he had to anchor a line, but I feel that he will be with people who will only help him succeed.
I see him easily being able to compete for the spot, his attitude and development this far helps his case a lot and hopefully he will be looked upon favourably by AV or he will never get a chance.

Old
09-23-2012, 07:49 PM
pitseleh

Odds are if Schroeder makes the team, he'll be used similarly to Hodgson early last season: 3rd line centre at EV and 2nd PP unit option who moves down to the fourth line (switching with Malhotra, most likely) if the team is trying to protect a lead.

Old
09-23-2012, 08:43 PM
CanucksOo

Quote:
I didn't find Hodgson to be all that good at corner battles. He was better at going to the net though. That much seems a clear edge.

I guess I'm trying to narrow down the differences between Hodgson and Schroeder to understand how one could succeed, like Hodgson seemed to, and one can be outright dismissed?

Young players will have consistency issues. Schroeder can be up and down. But was Hodgson any more consistent by comparison?
Got a couple of questions for you guys: Does Hodgson have better shot accuracy or maybe just a better slap shot? I remember two season ago Schroeder was struggling with his shot, not being able to pick the corners. Was it just part of becoming more patient with the puck and maturing as a player?

Also, how have their offensive output compared? Is Hodgson more of a shooter and Schroeder more of a passer?

Old
09-24-2012, 12:09 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksOo View Post
Got a couple of questions for you guys: Does Hodgson have better shot accuracy or maybe just a better slap shot? I remember two season ago Schroeder was struggling with his shot, not being able to pick the corners. Was it just part of becoming more patient with the puck and maturing as a player?

Also, how have their offensive output compared? Is Hodgson more of a shooter and Schroeder more of a passer?

Schroeder is more of a playmaker. Prior to his AHL career, he has usually carried a 1:2 goals to assist ratio. Hodgson, on the other hand, is more of a 1:1 player.

Hodgson has the better shot IMO. Hard and accurate. Schroeder, from the very few games I saw of him, still has more inaccuracy in his shot specifically because he's trying to pick corners every time out. He still needs to work on this. However, the biggest change here is that he is shooting more often. So while the accuracy is still suspect, he's relying on the percentages to produce more overall, and he has.

Old
09-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Cogburn

If Schroeder is merely competent and fair-to-good taking faceoffs, I believe Hansen and either Higgins or whoever ends up on the other wing (Kassian?) will make it a fine 3rd line.
not to say Lapierre wouldn't be as good, but we need something to anchor our 4th line if Malhotra still isn't back to his usual self.

Old
09-24-2012, 10:39 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Kesler Kassian
Raymond Schroeder Hansen
Higgins Lapierre X

The best part about this line-up is that everyone is in their natural positions. Booth and Raymond will be much better, just based on that.

Old
09-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Kesler Kassian
Raymond Schroeder Hansen
Higgins Lapierre X

The best part about this line-up is that everyone is in their natural positions. Booth and Raymond will be much better, just based on that.
Although I like the chemistry with Higgins and Lapierre, the Raymond-Schroeder element on the third line and Higgins playing on a line below his talent level make this seem like it wouldn't fit our strict division of offensive zone/defensive zone starts we tend to use to divide our top and bottom 6.

Then again, maybe a less rigid structure this year might work better....see Brazil vs. Germany in the World Cup some years back.

Old
09-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Then again, maybe a less rigid structure this year might work better....see Brazil vs. Germany in the World Cup some years back.
To be fair, the players didn't exactly follow the "blueprint" set out by the coaching staff either (medicore to horrible 'team defense' for a good chunk of the season - relying on the goaltending to bail them out far too many times this past season).

Closed Thread