HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion Part XX)

Old
09-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Thunderfest
The Wumpus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
The best part would have been Janssen going to the AHL since he's on a two way, and getting lost down there once the NHL season starts. Too bad he's not gonna be playing there either.
Maybe they could just put him on a bus for Albany, GA. He'd probably be halfway through the Carolinas before he noticed something was amiss...

Thunderfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 10:53 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfest View Post
Maybe they could just put him on a bus for Albany, GA. He'd probably be halfway through the Carolinas before he noticed something was amiss...
He's probably never been to Raleigh! So I doubt he would even notice that soon!

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Zippy316

You guys think we should do a top-25 all-time Devils by doing individual threads with polls?

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 01:22 PM
VaxjoDevil

I'm in Sweden and can go to SEL games. That does feel gewd.

VaxjoDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
You guys think we should do a top-25 all-time Devils by doing individual threads with polls?
Not sure. Somehow Scott Gomez always makes it in the top 10 too!

I was just thinking of something in retrospect since there's not much else to do hockey wise. Supposed we kept Scott Niedermayer in 2005 for that massive contract. The maximum we could have given him. If we had there's no way we keep Marty, and Patty both. We would have lost one of them. Probably Marty would have still stayed, but Patrik would have left somewhere else cause we couldn't have afforded to give him that with Niedermayer. Then there was the $5 million awarded to Gomez in arbitration that Summer too.

Short term we would have made out better keeping Scott, but long term Patty for sure. Niedermayer retired over 2 years ago now. He still would have retired in 2010 had he stayed with us. Patty would be playing on the contract he is now somewhere else. Probably across the Hudson. Patty was the 10th highest scorer in the league last year.

Old
09-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Not sure. Somehow Scott Gomez always makes it in the top 10 too!

I was just thinking of something in retrospect since there's not much else to do hockey wise. Supposed we kept Scott Niedermayer in 2005 for that massive contract. The maximum we could have given him. If we had there's no way we keep Marty, and Patty both. We would have lost one of them. Probably Marty would have still stayed, but Patrik would have left somewhere else cause we couldn't have afforded to give him that with Niedermayer. Then there was the $5 million awarded to Gomez in arbitration that Summer too.

Short term we would have made out better keeping Scott, but long term Patty for sure. Niedermayer retired over 2 years ago now. He still would have retired in 2010 had he stayed with us. Patty would be playing on the contract he is now somewhere else. Probably across the Hudson. Patty was the 10th highest scorer in the league last year.
If I do wind up doing it, I'm going to do it the same way they did it with the recommendations and starting off with five players, likely going to be ( Brodeur, Stevens, Daneyko, Niedermayer, ?) Maybe I will add MacLean and Elias to that list.

Old
09-23-2012, 06:28 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Right now I'd be reading about the first day of Devils training camp.
Soon we're going to be talking about canceled games in October. Very sad.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Lou has brought back a former Devil every year since the first lockout. At least one a year. There's no way we go a whole year without him bringing back a former Devil. Which one do you think it will be if we have a season? I have an idea of who it's gonna be.

Old
09-23-2012, 07:00 PM
DevilsAnimal*

Quote:
Lou has brought back a former Devil every year since the first lockout. At least one a year. There's no way we go a whole year without him bringing back a former Devil. Which one do you think it will be if we have a season? I have an idea of who it's gonna be.
Sykora

DevilsAnimal* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAnimal View Post
Sykora
I'm not sure if he'll be back or not, but he doesn't count as he was already brought back last year. I'm talking someone who has played with other teams since their last tenure.

Old
09-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Well for one thing it's going to have to be a forward.

Just some wild names I can think of.

Bergfors, Arnott, Bicek (that would surprise a few people), Viktor Kozlov, Pihlman, Vrana.

Sure some other people might think of some more names.

Old
09-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
I'm not sure if he'll be back or not, but he doesn't count as he was already brought back last year. I'm talking someone who has played with other teams since their last tenure.
I think they are going to invite him to camp again.

If he plays better than Tedenby or Butler, then we sign him. If not, then he plays elsewhere or retires.

Old
09-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

No one wants to hear it, but I have a bad feeling it will be Gomez. You know if the cap goes down there will be a buyout period, and Gomez is the most buyout worthy player in the league, and currently has the worst contract even though it's almost over. There was already talk he wanted to go back to the Devils. I do not want him back, but for faceoff depth, and a salary no more than what Sykora got last year I won't complain too much. That probably won't happen though if he does indeed return. With a need to drop a D man right now just to carry 14 forwards though he may not be signed by us.

Quote:
I think they are going to invite him to camp again.

If he plays better than Tedenby or Butler, then we sign him. If not, then he plays elsewhere or retires.
I'm not Tedenby's biggest fan, but he and Butler need to be on the team to start the season at least. If he's demoted again for poor play then fine. However if he isn't on the opening season roster along with Butler, and Janssen is I'll be pissed. Why the hell does Lou even give Jam Canssen a two way contract if the chances of him in the minors are slim? At least if he had a one way contract it wouldn't be as annoying seeing they won't waive him to pay him NHL salary to play down there.

Old
09-23-2012, 10:40 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
I'd take Gomez back at a reasonable salary. The guy's still not too old and has never had a major injury, I don't see why he should all of a sudden suck long term. And if he does, it'll prob be a one year contract.

Speaking of Gomez's $5M arb award, anyone remember that slew of threads devoted to poster Sandman's updates from his inside sources on Gomer? Pretty hysterical.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 11:03 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
I'd take Gomez back at a reasonable salary. The guy's still not too old and has never had a major injury, I don't see why he should all of a sudden suck long term. And if he does, it'll prob be a one year contract.
Gomez is still pretty good at faceoffs too. He's not as big of a joke as he seems it's just the salary that's a joke, and it was WAY too much even back in 07 when it was signed. I wouldn't want him for as much as he would get though. I don't want him back, but if he came back for a decent salary, and not a long term contract I wouldn't be as furious as most people though. Remember we took back Bobby Holik, and paid him $2.5 million to play mostly on the 4th line.

It's just a typical Lou move, and I really doubt Gomez burned him bridges here if Holik, and Sykora didn't. Holik said a year in advance he was probably gonna be gone cause he didn't like the arbitrators decision. Sykora pissed a lot of people off with the debatable injury in the 02 playoffs too.

Old
09-23-2012, 11:22 PM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Zajac-Henrique-Josefson-Carter.

This team has NO room for that steaming pile of rat piss named blomez. **** him, I wouldn't take him back this season if he paid off our arena debt. His decline has greatly pleased me.

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 11:54 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
Zajac-Henrique-Josefson-Carter.

This team has NO room for that steaming pile of rat piss named blomez. **** him, I wouldn't take him back this season if he paid off our arena debt. His decline has greatly pleased me.
I said I would gladly take him if we lost Carter or Gio to center our 4th line, and for the salary Carter or Gio would make. They stayed though so I think we're good.

It wouldn't be the first time we took back traitors. We took back Holik. I remember in the Summer of 01 I was pissed when he flat out said he probably won't be back after that season, and that was before the season even started. I really wanted him gone cause I thought a player who has openly stated this would be his last season before the season even started would create problems in the locker room.

I'm by no means a Gomez sympathizer, but I was more angry at Parise than Gomez. Gomez didn't seem to hide he went for the biggest paycheck, and neither did Holik.

Old
09-24-2012, 12:38 AM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

am i the only one not confident in gionta over an entire season?

he reminds me of some baseball players that spend their careers bouncing up and down in between the minors and majors. they can get hot for a while and be a spark plug when they first get called up, but they always fall off after a while and get sent back down again for another month.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 12:53 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post

he reminds me of some baseball players that spend their careers bouncing up and down in between the minors and majors. they can get hot for a while and be a spark plug when they first get called up, but they always fall off after a while and get sent back down again for another month.
I'm confident in him even if he isn't producing like he did at the pace in the playoffs.

If he plays with Janssen, and Barch every night though he'll fall off a cliff. We saw how bad Carter looked with those guys. And then when he got away from them he was great.

I don't think he can be as bad as Sestito or Mills either.

Old
09-24-2012, 05:25 AM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post

I have my doubts, but I'm confident in him. If nothing else, his speed and tenacity will make him effective and get him some points. I don't think the 4th line will produce at the rate they did in the playoffs, but I certainly don't see that trio losing chemistry..

... unless we see Bernier on the 3rd line, and then Barch on the 4th line. In which case,

PADevil3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 06:51 AM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Definitely not confident in little Gio over the course of a full season. He got his chance, worked hard, and played well at the right time. Plenty of other players have done that early in the regular season only to fade towards the end and never be heard from again. Gio just got his chance at the right time. To his credit he capitalized on it, but I doubt he could keep it up over an entire season. That said, he's a good guy to have in the system for a call up, and it's not like the team would really be counting on big production from a 4th liner.

As for Gomez, if he's at a reasonable salary, sign me up. Let him carry the puck up the ice and dish it to Kovy. I think those two would work nicely together. I would hate to move one of Josefson or Henrique to wing, though. I think either would do fine there, and it'd rule out Janssen and Barch (I would hope) for many games, but I hate converting natural centers to wing.

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 07:23 AM
HellOnIce

Gomez has the talent to be offered a 1 year deal at 2m to see what happens. It's just 2M.

I would consider Henrique being placed on the left to replace Zach.

HellOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 07:43 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Out of boredom and nothing else, what would you give up for Patrick Kane?

Would you center a deal around Zajac for him or no?
I think Id rather trade zajac and corrente for datsyuk. datsyuk is very overrated by GMs around the league, so we could probably then flip datsyuk for a PMD like jay-bow.

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 07:46 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Gomez is the most buyout worthy player in the league
I really dont think this is true. I think there are a million better financial ways for the habs to handle his contract than buying him out

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 07:48 AM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
I think Id rather trade zajac and corrente for datsyuk. datsyuk is very overrated by GMs around the league, so we could probably then flip datsyuk for a PMD like jay-bow.
oh wow

Ilkka Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote