Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Staged Fight Rule

Old
09-21-2012, 11:45 PM
Oh_so_saad

vCash: 500
Staged Fight Rule

i didnt know they established this. apparently you cant fight off face offs anymore or it is considered a staged fight and each player gets a game misconduct. Is this Chl wide?

Oh_so_saad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 11:53 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

I thought it was just the OHL. Davide Branch is on a mission from god.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 02:15 AM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 125
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
It differs from the one in the OHL which has a set number of fights before suspensions/fines are handed out. As mentioned it is an attempt to stop the staged fights. All it does is stop the fights from starting right after the whistle blows. If two players on the ice when the puck is dropped all the players have to do before dropping the gloves is "get involved in the play" for at least 10 seconds, or at least according to the Oil Kings coach. This doesn't stop players from jumping off the bench and fighting right away or in the case of the Oil Kings game last night players 2 players coming out of the penalty box.

09-22-2012, 04:32 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Setting a limit on the number of fights doesn't do anything except attack fighting in the game, period. He (Branch) said himself, 10 fights is just the start off point. They intend to lower it more down the road. His goal is to have fighting out of major jr hockey completely.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Oh_so_saad

Straight farkinn stupid

Old
09-23-2012, 11:08 PM
aemoreira1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
Setting a limit on the number of fights doesn't do anything except attack fighting in the game, period. He (Branch) said himself, 10 fights is just the start off point. They intend to lower it more down the road. His goal is to have fighting out of major jr hockey completely.
What needs to be done, however, is give 2 points towards the 10 limit if a player instigates a fight...except in cases where the player being instigated against is being given a major penalty or was given one in that game or the last time the player met that team. Only two OHL players had more than 10 fights last season.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 11:17 PM
Beendair Donedat

Branch and Bettman have done more to ruin tough Canadian hockey than anyone else. It will be foul, two shots for any contact soon.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 12:23 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
I know I'll be in the overwhelming minority here, however I'm quite fine with this objective. I think it's really quite ludicrous that we do allow it now. In what other facet of society would we tolerate a 20 year old picking a bare knuckle fist fight with a 16 year old? None...not even boxing or MMA...anywhere else it would result in prosecution...

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 01:20 AM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
I know I'll be in the overwhelming minority here, however I'm quite fine with this objective. I think it's really quite ludicrous that we do allow it now. In what other facet of society would we tolerate a 20 year old picking a bare knuckle fist fight with a 16 year old? None...not even boxing or MMA...anywhere else it would result in prosecution...
Name 10 fights involving 20 year olds versus 16 year olds....

Old
09-24-2012, 01:28 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Jumbo Joe!

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
It differs from the one in the OHL which has a set number of fights before suspensions/fines are handed out. As mentioned it is an attempt to stop the staged fights. All it does is stop the fights from starting right after the whistle blows. If two players on the ice when the puck is dropped all the players have to do before dropping the gloves is "get involved in the play" for at least 10 seconds, or at least according to the Oil Kings coach. This doesn't stop players from jumping off the bench and fighting right away or in the case of the Oil Kings game last night players 2 players coming out of the penalty box.
That was different however, because the referees stopped Lowe and the other guy from fighting, and they we're both given 2 minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct, which was the wrong call from a referee standpoint IMO. The refs should've just let the two go at it and serve their 5 and get it over with. Instead you give them two, then just end up having to deal with the fight anyways and assess another 5 onto the 2 minutes you already gave them.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 01:30 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Jumbo Joe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
There was one in a Junior B camp I was at last year, The 16 year old caught the 20 year old in the chin on the first punch and knocked him out. 20 year old ended up with a concussion and although he made the team, missed the first 3 games of the season.

Old
09-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Oh_so_saad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
There was one in a Junior B camp I was at last year, The 16 year old caught the 20 year old in the chin on the first punch and knocked him out. 20 year old ended up with a concussion and although he made the team, missed the first 3 games of the season.
when i was 16 i routinely dropped em with older guys. its a great feeling and a fun sight to see

Old
09-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Beendair Donedat

I'm just saying, been around Junior hockey as a player, assistant coach and fan for a long time. 16 vs 20 isn't something that happens much...

Old
09-28-2012, 09:08 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsokwehavkrueger View Post
when i was 16 i routinely dropped em with older guys. its a great feeling and a fun sight to see
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Please suggest another instance in Western society where you wouldn't be villified for a comment like this. You won't, because it cannot be done. Even in combat sports i.e. boxing, they have rules about adults fighting minors. It's absolutely ridiculous that hockey allows it at the junior level.

I went to the Oil Kings / Rebels game last weekend. I got my money's worth watching Lazar's trick and went to the concession stand during the lone fight. I guess I'm a hockey fan, not an MMA fan...

Old
09-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Please suggest another instance in Western society where you wouldn't be villified for a comment like this. You won't, because it cannot be done. Even in combat sports i.e. boxing, they have rules about adults fighting minors. It's absolutely ridiculous that hockey allows it at the junior level.

I went to the Oil Kings / Rebels game last weekend. I got my money's worth watching Lazar's trick and went to the concession stand during the lone fight. I guess I'm a hockey fan, not an MMA fan...
I think it's absolutely ridiculous that you feel the need to change a game that has always had fighting. Go to the concession stands all you want, there's no need to change a game that has consistently supplied the best players in history. This isn't adults fighting minors, these are all top conditioned young men. Go watch non contact hockey if that's your preference, but don't try to ruin the game that's always had fighting.

Old
09-28-2012, 11:42 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
I think it's absolutely ridiculous that you feel the need to change a game that has always had fighting. Go to the concession stands all you want, there's no need to change a game that has consistently supplied the best players in history. This isn't adults fighting minors, these are all top conditioned young men. Go watch non contact hockey if that's your preference, but don't try to ruin the game that's always had fighting.
Ahh, the "it's always had it" argument. It's pretty difficult to argue with that type of sound logic. A 20 year old vs 15 or 16 or 17 year old is an adult fighting a minor the last I checked, but actual facts are not much of a position against the old "it's always had it" argument.

As for what I prefer to watch, I do prefer the WJC where there is no fighting. Ratings would suggest most do. I also enjoy CHL hockey a great deal, and spend thousands of dollars supporting the product each year (already have my hotel booked for the Memorial Cup). I just don't care for that particular aspect of the game.

The thing is, I expect fighting will come out eventually - Branch has already started the process...isn't that what this thead is about? When it does, it will not because I posted my views on these boards, but because the human race does tend to evolve. At that point I'll continue to watch and spend less time at concessions, and I suppose I won't see you at the rink.

Old
09-29-2012, 12:49 AM
Beendair Donedat

I've yet to see you mention any specifics on these phantom fight matchups involving 20 vs 15 year olds. Are you going to provide any examples or keep rambling?

David Branch has essentially given us the worst OHL years ever. What has he done that merits any praise?

I guess when players like Yzerman, Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, and scores of other elite talents understand the need for fighting in the game, your type shouldn't bother me. I mean what would those guys know? Obviously you're more knowledgeable and "evolved" than they are.

Old
09-29-2012, 01:51 AM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 125
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
That was different however, because the referees stopped Lowe and the other guy from fighting, and they we're both given 2 minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct, which was the wrong call from a referee standpoint IMO. The refs should've just let the two go at it and serve their 5 and get it over with. Instead you give them two, then just end up having to deal with the fight anyways and assess another 5 onto the 2 minutes you already gave them.
I agree it was the wrong call, but it isn't uncommon for players to start pushing, shoving, and try to fight before the refs step in and give each coincidental minors (normally roughing). These players often find each other at some point during the game and do eventually fight.

The Head Crusher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 07:27 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
I've yet to see you mention any specifics on these phantom fight matchups involving 20 vs 15 year olds. Are you going to provide any examples or keep rambling?
I'm sorry, I don't have the time or inclination to look through thousands of game summaries. I can tell you that in tonight's games, however, 18 year old Austin Carroll fought 16 year old Ryan Rehill. Not as dramatic as 20 vs 16, but still someone of age fighting a minor.

Quote:
David Branch has essentially given us the worst OHL years ever. What has he done that merits any praise?
Disagree. Under his watch the size of the league has nearly doubled. Teams have gone from playing in places like the Ray Twinney Recreation Complex (Newmarket) to playing in places like the John Labatt Centre (London), Hershey Centre (Mississauga), Barrie Molson Centre and the WFCU (Windsor). Television exposure and average attendance have increased. Major Memorial Cup title sponsorship deal. Introduction of the top prospects game. I would say he's also drastically cut down on fights and headchecks, but you may not see those as positives.

On a personal note, I can't claim to have gone to an OHL game before the Branch era, but I've attended literally hundreds during his tenure, and enjoyed the product more (for a variety of reasons, including quality of play, quality of facilities etc.) in the past 5 years more than those in the 1980s.

Quote:
I guess when players like Yzerman, Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, and scores of other elite talents understand the need for fighting in the game, your type shouldn't bother me. I mean what would those guys know? Obviously you're more knowledgeable and "evolved" than they are.
I'm not sure that hockey skill necessarily equals knowledge, but I'll move on. Regardless, you are absolutely right, my "type" shouldn't bother you. People with your view don't bother me - you're entitled to your opinion. Like I said though, what gets posted here is inconsequential, it seems that Branch appears to be making a move to have fighting removed from the CHL game in the next 5-10 years. I look forward to that.

Last edited by krazy kanuck: 03-07-2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old
10-01-2012, 01:54 AM
Hordichuk_24

It's a stupid addition and nobody around the league appears to like it but it isn't as bad as the asinine rule David Branch introduced in the OHL. I suppose that's the only way to look at it. I hope the WHL doesn't follow suit (from all indications they won't be any time soon) but unfortunately the game is heading in that direction.

Hordichuk_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 02:06 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Jumbo Joe!

I think fighting has it's place in the game, and if you support it or not is up to you. I think fighting is needed in hockey however.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:40 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Here's one. 20 year old Tommy Hughes v. 16 year old "Exceptional" Aaron Ekblad.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...how/game/63465

Sure, AE5 instigated the fight (after a cross check mind you) and is a man child, but I'm keeping track.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:14 PM
iCanuck

Quote:
Here's one. 20 year old Tommy Hughes v. 16 year old "Exceptional" Aaron Ekblad.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...how/game/63465

Sure, AE5 instigated the fight (after a cross check mind you) and is a man child, but I'm keeping track.
I think your original quote created an image of a large 20 year old fighting a smaller 16 year old, which pretty much never happens. Ekblad vs Hughes is a different situation really...

iCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote