HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Lockout discussion thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2012, 12:50 PM
domdo345

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Average Joe doesn't matter. Professional athletes are a skilled elite with talent and dedication at the extreme end of the bell curve, they are not average. The proper comparison are elite musicians, movie stars, etc.

ETA: A max pacioretty story. When he was ~6 years old, his mother would wake up and wake him up at 5am on weekends to take him to hockey practice, because he loved the game that much. Most of you live your lives without ever having that kind of dedication, hence, you are average.
You'd think only NHL players had this dedication. I was too waking up at 5am to practice on weekends. Then I'd go play pond hockey in the afternoon. I was dedicated as hell for hockey. Then, torn ACL on my last soccer game, which was the night before the midget espoir camp begins. I was cut till midget A although I played AA/AAA my whole life. Lost a whole year of hockey and it took me 2 years before I get my speed back. The window was pretty much closed for me.

Now, I don't think I had close enough talent at my size to have a career in Hockey. My point is; that's life. Some people study for years in cegep/university and it's never enough to crack the admissions in med school. So I certainly won't cry for a hockey player that couldn't crack an NHL line-up. That's life. And if by 30 years old he only played the avg of 5 years, he's in no way in a bad situation. Some people with no education/qualifications lose their job at 40-50 years old. They didn't have the luxury of gathering a few millions during that time though. Former NHLers could still make a good amount of money with hockey schools. I do not piety one second the guy who had a short NHL career. He knew those facts.

And with their guaranteed contracts, NHLers have far less risks then some owners. Some owners need to have a winning team to make money. Therefore, they need to overpay the good players because other rich owners will do. Vicious cycle created because the salary cap related to the revenues was badly addressed. Too much room to spend for rich teams every year dragging the overbids. I know it's the owners that implemented it, but it clearly cant stay that way.

Old
09-22-2012, 01:02 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
And the team was fined by the league for his comments.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4561408/

Old
09-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
And the team was fined by the league for his comments.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4561408/
Wow. Yeah, I guess they really do value keeping it tight.

Old
09-22-2012, 02:31 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Logically, a lockout is against Bettman's personal interests, as it makes his job of growing/marketing the game more difficult.
Yes. That's why I don't get where people say these things. Didn't revenue go up 400 mil to 3.3 bil under bettman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Thanks for link. Didn't know but I guess loudi94's reply says it all.

Old
09-22-2012, 08:31 PM
Habs13

What this tells me is that hockey is no different then any other form of mainstream entertainment these days. It is no longer about the love of the craft nor the thrill of doing something you love, but a way to make ludicrous amounts of lucre while enabling themselves to live fabulous rock star lives.

Once again it shall be the working class that suffers. Those of us that slave for corporations that make fortunes off of our backs, off of those that have no choice but to work for them. Us that look to entertainment and sports as a way to escape the mundane lives we live and have something to cheer for.

As retaliation, I will no longer purchase any form of NHL licensed or endorsed products. This includes clothing and collectables, video games (I have bought and played every EA game since NHLPA in 1992) and tickets to NHL matches.

Let the players play out their careers in the KHL and the owners sit in their empty buildings. I hope their greed brings them nothing but distress. Balls to the lot of them.

My only hope is that RDS and TSN pick up the AHL season.

Old
09-22-2012, 08:38 PM
Habs13

Actually, I take back the part about the players playing out their careers in the KHL, and any other Euro league for that matter. When a locked-out NHLer signs to play with a Euro team; he is taking a roster spot from another player and I can't abide such a thought. It is further evidence of the NHLPA's greedy, grabbing tendencies.

Old
09-22-2012, 09:10 PM
The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
Now, I don't think I had close enough talent at my size to have a career in Hockey. My point is; that's life. Some people study for years in cegep/university and it's never enough to crack the admissions in med school. So I certainly won't cry for a hockey player that couldn't crack an NHL line-up. That's life. And if by 30 years old he only played the avg of 5 years, he's in no way in a bad situation. Some people with no education/qualifications lose their job at 40-50 years old. They didn't have the luxury of gathering a few millions during that time though. Former NHLers could still make a good amount of money with hockey schools. I do not piety one second the guy who had a short NHL career. He knew those facts.

And with their guaranteed contracts, NHLers have far less risks then some owners. Some owners need to have a winning team to make money. Therefore, they need to overpay the good players because other rich owners will do. Vicious cycle created because the salary cap related to the revenues was badly addressed. Too much room to spend for rich teams every year dragging the overbids. I know it's the owners that implemented it, but it clearly cant stay that way.
Thank you for writing what I was one part too lazy to type and one part not able to word so well. Nice post.

Old
09-22-2012, 10:06 PM
Et le But

For all the talk about getting what they deserve, the NHLPA failed to file Boogaard's paperwork in time for his family to collect the rest of his owed salary.

I guess helping out families doesn't effect Don Fehr's legacy, so why bother?

Old
09-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Et le But

Dan Kramer ‏@DailyCanadiens

#Habs Tomas Plekanec now has 3 goals and 4 assists in 3 games for HC Kladno of the top Czech league. #GoHabsGo #Canadiens

Old
09-23-2012, 04:13 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Dan Kramer ‏@DailyCanadiens

#Habs Tomas Plekanec now has 3 goals and 4 assists in 3 games for HC Kladno of the top Czech league. #GoHabsGo #Canadiens
No contact, the perfect game for him...

Old
09-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
No contact, the perfect game for him...
Cool story

Old
09-23-2012, 04:45 PM
poetryinmotion

Sorry if this has been answered before I didn't read the whole thing but what is Andrei Markov up to? He playing anywhere? I hope he's not thinking about retirement.

Old
09-23-2012, 05:50 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingItLeBlancWay View Post
Cool story
What there is something wrong with the truth ?

He is the perfect international player....for the habs mehhh !

Old
09-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
What there is something wrong with the truth ?

He is the perfect international player....for the habs mehhh !
Yeah, right.

Old
09-23-2012, 07:52 PM
impudent_lowlife

Quote:
And what of the NHL franchises which depend so much on govt subsidies. For example, since 1997, the city of Nashville has provided the Preds with over $100-million in subsidies plus a new $230-million arena. Yes there's risk there but for taxpayers not owners.

Old
09-23-2012, 09:17 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
And what of the NHL franchises which depend so much on govt subsidies. For example, since 1997, the city of Nashville has provided the Preds with over $100-million in subsidies plus a new $230-million arena. Yes there's risk there but for taxpayers not owners.
Same thing that is being talked about for the Yotes.

Old
09-24-2012, 05:47 AM
HabsUK

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
#Habs Max Pacioretty has signed with Ambri-Piotta in the Swiss A League. Full details here:http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...-hab-to-europe

Old
09-24-2012, 07:31 AM
Woland

haha I hope he knows what to expect in Ambri-Piotta

-two small villages at the end of the valley , 30 min away from Locarno
-arena not even fully closed, very cold in winter
-hardcore fan following

Old
09-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Maverik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
haha I hope he knows what to expect in Ambri-Piotta

-two small villages at the end of the valley , 30 min away from Locarno
-arena not even fully closed, very cold in winter
-hardcore fan following

Looks cool, playing hockey in the cold never killed anyone.. (I think.. lol).

Old
09-24-2012, 07:55 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsUK View Post
Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
#Habs Max Pacioretty has signed with Ambri-Piotta in the Swiss A League. Full details here:http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...-hab-to-europe
Good I like the fact that he will be playing. Hopefully others follow and please no injuries!!!

Old
09-24-2012, 08:51 AM
guest1467

I wonder if Price will sign in Europe.

Old
09-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I wonder if Price will sign in Europe.
Read an article in the 24 Heures paper where Pierre Groulx suggests Price should sign in Europe ASAP, to keep his reflexes up to speed and not gain any rust during the lock-out.

Old
09-24-2012, 09:39 AM
impudent_lowlife

Quote:
You'd think only NHL players had this dedication. I was too waking up at 5am to practice on weekends. Then I'd go play pond hockey in the afternoon. I was dedicated as hell for hockey. Then, torn ACL on my last soccer game, which was the night before the midget espoir camp begins. I was cut till midget A although I played AA/AAA my whole life. Lost a whole year of hockey and it took me 2 years before I get my speed back. The window was pretty much closed for me.

It seems to me that you have a double standard at work here. On the one hand, it's fine for NHL owners to do what any business enterprise does: maximize profits. On the other hand, when an NHL player (who is essentially a businessman selling his services on a contractual basis) does the same you cry foul.

Old
09-24-2012, 10:00 AM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
It seems to me that you have a double standard at work here. On the one hand, it's fine for NHL owners to do what any business enterprise does: maximize profits. On the other hand, when an NHL player (who is essentially a businessman selling his services on a contractual basis) does the same you cry foul.
It sounds like a double standard because the players have a whopping 57% of the shares. I want it to be in the 50/50 waters.

Old
09-24-2012, 10:37 AM
impudent_lowlife

Quote:
It sounds like a double standard because the players have a whopping 57% of the shares.
A negotiated agreement is a double standard? How so? The only double standard at work here is your notion that owners can maximize profit while players can't.

Last edited by impudent_lowlife: 09-24-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Closed Thread