HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bulldogs sign Zack Stortini

Old
09-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Kosto was a good warrior, terrible fighter or not he was always willing to stand up for his teammates and gave it his all on the ice. The only thing I didn't like about him was Carbo overusing him.
This seems to be a common theme amongst habs coaches in the past few years. Putting grinders in positions they didn't belong. Hopefully we don't see the same thing happen to Prust that we saw with Moen, Kostopoulos, Darche and Pyatt.

Funny thing about Pyatt is that I always liked him, but his overuse by Martin made me hate watching him play. Pyatt was a fantastic defensive player. He was imo fantastic with Lapierre and Moore during the 09-10 playoffs.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 06:56 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
Not a great fighter, but certainly not as bad as people describe him around the league.
I really like this move and I'm looking forward to see him drop the mitts with the Dogs !
I think if someone told you there is a hockey fight in a cave somewhere in the middle east, you would go there and cheer them on

Like this move too. Gotta have a couple of guys who keep opponents honest.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
I think if someone told you there is a hockey fight in a cave somewhere in the middle east, you would go there and cheer them on

Like this move too. Gotta have a couple of guys who keep opponents honest.
Not only that, but he has a few years of NHL experience which will give him the role of a type of leader in the dressing room. I'm sure the younger guys like Gallagher, Tinordi, Beaulieu and co. will be talking with him on what it's like being in the NHL.

A couple of tougher guys would be nice, although I would prefer it if they could at least play some decent hockey at the same time. Stortini will be good in the AHL. I think the Dogs lost another good one in Jimmy Bonneau, and Schultz isn't much of a hockey player at all (good fighter though).

AHL team looks pretty good now. Far from stacked, considering all the reinforcements other AHL teams will have with the lockout now in effect, but their team is still quite good.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 09:47 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Good signing, to protect the young guys in Hamilton. I've always liked him when he was in Edmonton.

It's very encouraging that the current management knows and recognizes the need for toughness as one of the elements to build a winner... I don't miss the Gauthier/Martin duo!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 10:10 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

The most useless fighter in the NHL.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 05:33 AM
Mr. Hab

2 pages only for Stortini?!! What the...!! Very surprised!!
http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...layer.cgi?3467

I'm all for it!! (just one Hab fan, but still...I'm all for it!!).

Great for protecting our skilled, star Hab prospects.
Stortini and Schultz.

And, great in case of Hab injuries (Moen or White or Prust get injured...smart move...imo).

I don't get all the negativity???? (''he can't fight...he just hugs'',etc... imo as long as he protects our skilled, star prospects he's doing his job...the most important thing is to make sure Gallagher, Beaulieu, Tinordi,etc, don't have to fight...and yes i know that Tinordi will probably fight sometimes but I'd rather it be Stortini or Schultz...I hope you don't mind this way of thinking).

Bring on the season!! December 2012? (or October 2013? December 2013?!! ****ing greedy owners, Bettman, players...all of 'em).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 09-23-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

That Hagel guy is there, too.

Stortini, Hagel and Schultz as the main fighters and Tinordi can handle his own.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 10:50 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
That Hagel guy is there, too.

Stortini, Hagel and Schultz as the main fighters and Tinordi can handle his own.
I like Stortini like tough guys. To me the biggest criteria for a tough
guy is understanding his role, and place on a team. And in a related way,
to be a good teammate, and good cheerleader, when he's not playing.
Being able to beat on the second toughest player in the league is worthless
or worse, if it interferes with the comfort zone of the guys who win, or lose
games instead of fights.

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Habaddict

And furthermore, for anyone who is still listening to me rant. I prefer
a tough guy like Alex Henry, to almost any other. He was good enough
to play a lot of minutes, didn't try to be anything he wasn't, and by all
accounts was a solid leader on his team. And more minutes on the ice
makes a tough guy more effective.
What I think is really bad is when a tough guy gets TOI that someone
else could use better. I think that causes problems within teams. And even
worse, where a tough guy thinks he should get more ice-time. ( now I'm
thinking of Tie Domi, Gino Odjick, BGL, Don Brashier, and such. )

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 11:23 PM
Habs13

I like this move, too, actually. And I like that the Habs seem to want enforcers on the squad now, also. About damn time!

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 11:58 PM
ChoseLa

He's not intimidating but everyone knows they have to fight him when they fool around, it's a good culture to have in our farm team.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 12:13 AM
Beendair Donedat

He's not the best fighter but he'll always be there to stand up for the young guys and you need that in your lineup. Spreads out the toughness nicely in Hamilton. Gives you Stortini and Schultz doing the heavy lifting up front with a touch of Dumont. Than Hagel on the point along with 3 scrappy rookies. Takes the onus off the younger guys... Smart move!

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 01:26 AM
No Style Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Good thing it's for Hamilton then.

No Style Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 06:48 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
****in' huggy bear!

Just means he'll get his head beat in instead of Tinordi being forced to drop 'em
As mentioned, I guess this is a good thing in the long run.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 07:15 AM
FlavorFlav

I always find it amazing how this team manages to make relatively good moves on the trade and FA signings, and yet continues to land the most washed-up, punch-drunk, over-the-hill journeymen losers when it comes to enforcers! Geez, how hard can this be??? The fricken AHL must be littered with young thugs looking for a shot to bust someone's face. And we yet land Stortini. Stortini, Odjick, Ciccone, Laraque, jeesh. Ain't rocket science. (Ooooooh maybe Sandy McCarthy's available! Or Jim Cummins! Or Matt Barnaby!)

Thankfully he'll never play for the big club. Right? RIGHT????

FlavorFlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorFlav View Post
I always find it amazing how this team manages to make relatively good moves on the trade and FA signings, and yet continues to land the most washed-up, punch-drunk, over-the-hill journeymen losers when it comes to enforcers! Geez, how hard can this be??? The fricken AHL must be littered with young thugs looking for a shot to bust someone's face. And we yet land Stortini. Stortini, Odjick, Ciccone, Laraque, jeesh. Ain't rocket science. (Ooooooh maybe Sandy McCarthy's available! Or Jim Cummins! Or Matt Barnaby!)

Thankfully he'll never play for the big club. Right? RIGHT????
I can't disagree more. I think that you're thinking NHL here. Stortini signed to play for the Bulldogs. I suggest you contact Derek Wills (@dogsplaybyplay), voice of the Bulldogs, who has nothing but praise for Stortini as a player, as a dressing room presence, as an individual. The guy brings toughness, yes, but he has tons of experience. He will help a guy like Schultz better develop. He will help protect the Gallagher, Beaulieu, Bournival, Holland, Ellis... young guys making their first steps at the pro level playing against full grown men. Experience cannot be bought and he has a lot of it. Washed up? Hardly! He just turned 27 a couple of weeks ago, he's 6'4" and well over 200 lbs, and he scored 9 goals last year.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 08:52 AM
hockeyman*

Enjoy this lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e52cvMN3uE

hockeyman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 10:00 AM
ChoseLa

BTW both Clowe and Clarkson could be UFA in summer 2013. Those are the kind of buisers we all want. The opposite of Stortini.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
BTW both Clowe and Clarkson could be UFA in summer 2013. Those are the kind of buisers we all want. The opposite of Stortini.
That's kind of like saying, why sign Bouillon when Suter is a free agent? Different worlds. I don't think Clowe and Clarkson will be keen to sign AHL contracts.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 11:10 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Your argument would be valid if Stortini was signed to play for the Habs. He was not. He was signed to play with the Bulldogs. If Bergevin signed Clarkson or Clowe, they would be playing with the Habs on one-way contracts.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 02:33 PM
kojiro

Good AHL pickup for the team as far as I'm concerned ! I used to be really high on the guy back in our Calder cup run in 06, I was pretty pissed that he was an Edmonton prospect instead of one of ours. There's a LOT of fighting in the AHL so you need to have a few of those kind of player on your team. Stortini has become a descent AHLer over the years and he's got some NHL experience so he'll be a good commodity to have in a very young locker room leadership wise.

As far as fighting skills is concerned I think Habaddict pretty much nailed it on the head for me, having the right attitude is the most important part of the enforcer role, it's not pro boxing/MMA, there's no official win-lost record on hockey fights! He can hug all he wants as long as he's actually stepping up for his teamates.

kojiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 03:17 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
I'd say he is as useful to the Bulldogs as celery is useful to Rosie O'Donnell.
I would say that a celery would be incredibly usefull to Rosie O'Donnell!

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:35 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Don't mind it for depth at all....

he is what 27 years old?

If it was all about winning fights, Tom Kostoplus wouldn't have won over so many fans in Montreal ....

ZS, win lose or draw will step in there , you gotta admire any guy crazy enough to do it ...
He had 3 seasons of 25 23 17 fights in NHL , and crazy enough to drop em with Boogey man and John Scott, Ivanans,George Parros etc,so Habs can use all the guts we can get .I'd rather have a guy step in there and lose , than Habs getting bullied and skating back to bench with tail between legs.

Trouble in Edmonton they was using him for a Heavyweight , in Montreal if he get's called up, the guy does have some skills .

Habs could have used more 4th liners guys with some guts, who could get 12-15 pts last year....and ZS is good for that in the NHL .

No risk move.

Last edited by Habaneros: 09-25-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:57 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Still got guts in my book,would you have ever jumped in against Boogeyman or John Scott?

You got Prust on line 3 ,and if Zach is on line 4 where is the problem there?

They both keep opponents honest(win lose or draw) .

Also Zach had 13 pts, 144 hits /153 pen mins in 77 games in Edmonton in 2010, so Habs could have used some of that last year right?

With Prust in the line up , Zach and Prust ,could probably fight a little less and maybe put up some more numbers etc.
I.e we likely don't need Prust going 22-25 times a year and Zach 22-25 times a year...but they would be a effective 3rd /4th line crew .They could take a little load off each other , likely put up more numbers other than scraps.

Rolling Prust on line 3, then he goes off and Zach goes line 4, there both honest guys who play hard.

left-winger Brandon Prust right winger Zack Stortini ,so who knows.

Will see how the season goes, but i gotta think he(ZS) is a Therrien type guy .

Quote:

RW
Zack Stortini
ASSETS: Works well in the corners and hits people consistently. Is an agitator and a willing pugilist when the situation warrants it. Put up decent offensive numbers in junior hockey.

Last edited by Habaneros: 09-25-2012 at 02:30 AM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
You're thinking...Laraque.
(Laraque...was the best fighter in NHL but wouldn't fight or protect his teammates since he thought he was Wayne Simmonds).

Stortini will protect his teammates...and that's all I care about.
I don't care if he hugs more than he fights...at least he is doing the tough stuff and not our skill players.

AHL...yeah, but he's also good depth for our Habs, as well.
(and I want Stortini out there VS the cheatin' Bruins).

In case of injuries (White, Prust, Moen)...Stortini can protect our Hab players (as a 4th liner).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote