HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brenden Morrow to Boston

Old
09-24-2012, 10:13 AM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
You're overrating you're prospects a pretty hefty bit IMO. They're good, but not that good.
Actually what he said is true, Caron will likely be a 3rd line, two-way forward who can score 15. Spooner is one of our more talented forward prospects in a long time, whether he reaches his potential or not. Morrow is not the type of player you give more than a mid-pick or less for.

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

I might give a 3rd or 4th round pick but nothing more.

I want to hold onto Spooner/Knight, I think they're going to surprise some people. I hope we hold onto our top prospects (Hamilton, Knight, Spooner, Koko, Subban, etc)...we havent had prospect depth like this in a while.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 10:46 AM
TrillMike

It takes more than a mid round pick to acquire another team's captain. Just saying...

TrillMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
It takes more than a mid round pick to acquire another team's captain. Just saying...
Not always the case...it has nothing to do with a player being a captain or not.

But in Morrows case it might be true, just saying I woudlnt give up more than that for him.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

if Morrow is picked up... he dosnt play ahead of a healthy Horton/Lucic/Seguin/Marchand so he is no more then a third line vet for the playoff push with the B's... still very nice to have but definitely not critical to add this time of the season.

Boston wouldnt pay a crazy price for Morrow until the deadline... for a variety of reasons. If Morrow was a cap dump or something... thats different... but if its a pure hockey trade Boston wont be involved in the discussions.

Realistically if Morrow is moved at the deadline.. he will have proven by then if last season was a fluke or a trend... if its a trend he is worth no where near a prospect like Spooner +...

on the other hand if hes having a 20-25 goal season and staying healthy... then hes worth a first rounder +

other teams would be in the bidding war... Boston would have to offer the best package. Maybe Spooner and a pick would be what it took?

But right now... its not worth discussing. Boston will give Caron and the kids a tryout in their one and only open roster spot. Its only a third line spot and the team will safely make the playoffs even if Caron and the kids cant get the job done

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
I'd do nothing more than a 2nd.

No need for him. He'd be a good addition, but Caron-Kelly-Pevs is a perfect third line and they've developed chemistry now. Chia goes nuts about that kind of stuff.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 07:12 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
Depends on how good that captain is. I don't think Chris Clark required very much when the Caps traded him.

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Brody
High.

vCash: 551
Quote:
Caron or Spooner straight up (if there's a season).

If not, maybe a 2nd or 3rd (if we're lucky).
Toronto would do that very easily.

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 08:38 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Don't really care if Boston acquired Morrow, as long as it was for a mid round pick. He can stay in Dallas or another team could pick him up for all I care.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 08:44 PM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonFan View Post
Depends on how good that captain is. I don't think Chris Clark required very much when the Caps traded him.
I agree, but if you are suggesting that Morrow is on the same level as Clark was (when he got traded) you are wrong. Washington traded Clark after 9 and 6 pt seasons (he had 15 for them in the 1/2 season he played with them in 09/10). 2012 was Morrow's worst statistical year. He was playing at 75% (guesstimate) all year due to his injuries.

Clark was traded for and replaced by Chimera. Washington was in a win now mode at the time of the trade. Although Dallas has transformed the team since our ownership change (thank God), they are still looking to get younger. Morrow is the exact type of player any contending team wants looking to make a deep run. If things don't work out this year (let's assume there's not a long lockout) for Dallas, I don't think it's absurd to think GMJN would be looking for a deal like a 2nd-3rd + a prospect like Spooner (or fill in Spooner for another high upside prospect) even with Morrow being a UFA in 2013.

We'll see what happens.

TrillMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 08:46 PM
duxfan8

Wanna move Morrow to Anaheim? Could use a second line LW...

duxfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 08:49 PM
rockinghockey

If Morrow stays healthy is value is higher of course, he will get a late 1st and prospect.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Dr Quincy

A great young D prospect who was a #1 pick and a super, young prospect F who was a 2nd round pick for 1 month of a broken down 41 year old Mark Recchi and a 2nd? No thanks!

People are overrating prospects here a bit. Caron and Thomas for Morrow? Sounds good to me, maybe even add a 4th from Boston's side.

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 03:37 PM
PJ StockBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
A great young D prospect who was a #1 pick and a super, young prospect F who was a 2nd round pick for 1 month of a broken down 41 year old Mark Recchi and a 2nd? No thanks!

People are overrating prospects here a bit. Caron and Thomas for Morrow? Sounds good to me, maybe even add a 4th from Boston's side.
haha, was thinking this exact thing while reading through this thread. i wouldn't trade Spooner for Morrow right now but if we could get him for Caron and Thomas and maybe a mid round pick then i would probably do that, and i'm one of the few Bruins posters who really likes Caron and thinks highly of him.

Morrow would be the perfect replacement for Recchi and would fit in perfectly on our third line next to Kelly and Pevs. if he does become available i would love to see him on the Bruins

PJ StockBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 04:57 PM
GoBs

Quote:
I'd do it.

Would prefer Caron as we'd be getting a younger true 3rd liner which would probably make us better actually. I'd assume he'll play in your top 6, which is where he should be, as he's not fit for a bottom 6 role at all. A Caron - Eakin - Vincour line is one I really like; young, all good defensively and could still put up 25+ points each.

Spooner would be really nice too, but we shored up our centers last draft with Faksa, Shore, Smith, Eakin, etc.
Caron's fair. I'd do that deal.

GoBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 05:16 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:

Don't you mean a d prospect who had some great abilities but was the classic all the tools but no toolbox type of player and the Bruins had already figured that out and a forward prospect who looked like he at the very least needed more time to develop?

Spooner and Caron are entirely different than the guys in the Recchi trade.

Caron has already proven that he is a very capable defensive player who can look pretty darn good offensively at times and that is far more than Karsums or Lashoff ever did. Spooner has the kind of offensive game that that the Bruins just haven't had in Providence since Krejci joined Boston, who knows if that will translate to the NHL or not but I don't want to see either of them traded for a rental.

Having Thomas going the other way is really the only way I would want to see them consider this and I would only want to see them do it for Caron since Morrow would really be taking his spot.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 05:57 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
I'd do Caron if you took on Thomas.. Maybe adding a later pick too if needed.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
Don't you mean a d prospect who had some great abilities but was the classic all the tools but no toolbox type of player and the Bruins had already figured that out and a forward prospect who looked like he at the very least needed more time to develop?

Spooner and Caron are entirely different than the guys in the Recchi trade.

Caron has already proven that he is a very capable defensive player who can look pretty darn good offensively at times and that is far more than Karsums or Lashoff ever did. Spooner has the kind of offensive game that that the Bruins just haven't had in Providence since Krejci joined Boston, who knows if that will translate to the NHL or not but I don't want to see either of them traded for a rental.

Having Thomas going the other way is really the only way I would want to see them consider this and I would only want to see them do it for Caron since Morrow would really be taking his spot.
Giant hindsight there my friend. Lashoff's age when traded 22. Caron's age now. 22. Caron's NHL games played 71 Lashoff's NHL games when traded 46 (in an unquestionably harder position).

Don't know if you were here when Karsums as in Providence, but you are seriously selling him short. Karsums was a highly thought of prospect who had a 60 pt season in Providence as a 21 year old. He was right there as a prospect with Krejci. I'd be willing to be you that Spooner won't put up the numbers in Providence this year that Karsums did in his first year.

Of course now it looks like we traded 2 nothings, but.....

you are making my point.

Odds are the prospects you are dealing away are never going to be as good as Morrow is right now. Trading one of them for a guy who is a consumate team player, character guy AND get Thomas' contract off the book? ANd the guy is 33, not 41.

No brainer if you ask me.

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Wiesel

Meh. Morrow would have been great on the Bruins couple years ago, not now. Too old, too ineffective, too injury-prone.

Wiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 08:29 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Giant hindsight there my friend. Lashoff's age when traded 22. Caron's age now. 22. Caron's NHL games played 71 Lashoff's NHL games when traded 46 (in an unquestionably harder position).

Don't know if you were here when Karsums as in Providence, but you are seriously selling him short. Karsums was a highly thought of prospect who had a 60 pt season in Providence as a 21 year old. He was right there as a prospect with Krejci. I'd be willing to be you that Spooner won't put up the numbers in Providence this year that Karsums did in his first year.

Of course now it looks like we traded 2 nothings, but.....

you are making my point.

Odds are the prospects you are dealing away are never going to be as good as Morrow is right now. Trading one of them for a guy who is a consumate team player, character guy AND get Thomas' contract off the book? ANd the guy is 33, not 41.

No brainer if you ask me.
Honestly, it isn't hindsight, I never liked Lashoff and I thought Karsums needed more time. I didn't even think much of the deal at the time, I thought the best piece in the deal was the 2nd rounder, I thought it was a couple of never weres for a has been and the 2nd round pick was the most valuable thing in that deal.

I am glad I was wrong about Recchi and I could easily be just as wrong about what Morrow would bring to the team, I just really like Caron and Spooner, I would rather keep those two over Knight, Khokhlachev, Suave(my pick as a complete bust), I think I like Ferlin more than those guys, I'm not quite sure just yet about that though.

Moving Thomas' contract makes it worth moving Caron for Morrow because it enables the Bruins to add other pieces as well with the cap space that is left over but otherwise I want the Bruins to keep both Caron and Spooner.

I am not in a hurry to see the Bruins rush out and trade prospects for players at the end of their careers when it really isn't clear to me that one guaranteed year of Morrow is going to be significantly better than Caron. It might be, I am not sold on Morrow being the same player he was, I just don't think he is. That doesn't mean he won't be an upgrade over Caron in some aspects of the game because it is obvious that he would be in all the so called "intangible" areas. My problem is who else is going to be available, will Iginla be available? If the Bruins make a trade for Morrow now and trade Thomas' contract, does that take them out of the running for a chance at Iginla?

I just don't know the answers to these and would rather see the Bruins play it safe with the prospects I see something in, I want the Bruins to hold off on the Morrow's of the world unless the price is really just right and I want to see them make a really big addition even if it is at the deadline and purely a rental. If they move Caron and/or Spooner now, there isn't going to be a heck of a lot left in the system to trade at the dealine and if they move Thomas' contract now and use the space, they won't be able to use it at the deadline.

Maybe I am crazy, but I just have a hunch we will see the Bruins make a big move later in the season, but after they find out how Horton will do in his return.

I guess there has to be a season first though.

Old
09-27-2012, 09:15 AM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
Honestly, it isn't hindsight, I never liked Lashoff and I thought Karsums needed more time. I didn't even think much of the deal at the time, I thought the best piece in the deal was the 2nd rounder, I thought it was a couple of never weres for a has been and the 2nd round pick was the most valuable thing in that deal.

I am glad I was wrong about Recchi and I could easily be just as wrong about what Morrow would bring to the team, I just really like Caron and Spooner, I would rather keep those two over Knight, Khokhlachev, Suave(my pick as a complete bust), I think I like Ferlin more than those guys, I'm not quite sure just yet about that though.

Moving Thomas' contract makes it worth moving Caron for Morrow because it enables the Bruins to add other pieces as well with the cap space that is left over but otherwise I want the Bruins to keep both Caron and Spooner.

I am not in a hurry to see the Bruins rush out and trade prospects for players at the end of their careers when it really isn't clear to me that one guaranteed year of Morrow is going to be significantly better than Caron. It might be, I am not sold on Morrow being the same player he was, I just don't think he is. That doesn't mean he won't be an upgrade over Caron in some aspects of the game because it is obvious that he would be in all the so called "intangible" areas. My problem is who else is going to be available, will Iginla be available? If the Bruins make a trade for Morrow now and trade Thomas' contract, does that take them out of the running for a chance at Iginla?

I just don't know the answers to these and would rather see the Bruins play it safe with the prospects I see something in, I want the Bruins to hold off on the Morrow's of the world unless the price is really just right and I want to see them make a really big addition even if it is at the deadline and purely a rental. If they move Caron and/or Spooner now, there isn't going to be a heck of a lot left in the system to trade at the dealine and if they move Thomas' contract now and use the space, they won't be able to use it at the deadline.

Maybe I am crazy, but I just have a hunch we will see the Bruins make a big move later in the season, but after they find out how Horton will do in his return.

I guess there has to be a season first though.
"end of his career"? Morrow while no longer a pup, is still just 33yrs old. He certainly had a down year last season, but theres nothing suggesting he cant bounce back to form. I would certainly give up Thomas & Caron for him, even add a mid-pick. Morrow on a line w/ Kelly & Peverly would be a nice fit, especially in Boston where I'd guess his rugged style of play would make him a fan favorite. Also, he would be able to slot into a top-6 wing in the event of an injury. I would approve that move.

IF healthy, I could see Morrow potting 20 to 25 goals as the B's 3rd line left wing, while bringing a physical presence to that line. He'd certainly benefit from facing the opposing teams 3rd pairing dmen also.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Oates2Neely

And I believe Morrow's #10 is available in Boston?

I bet Lucic & Morrow would become good buds lol,, and I also wouldn't mind adding another skilled player who isnt shy about dropping his mitts.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 10:30 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
"end of his career"? Morrow while no longer a pup, is still just 33yrs old. He certainly had a down year last season, but theres nothing suggesting he cant bounce back to form. I would certainly give up Thomas & Caron for him, even add a mid-pick. Morrow on a line w/ Kelly & Peverly would be a nice fit, especially in Boston where I'd guess his rugged style of play would make him a fan favorite. Also, he would be able to slot into a top-6 wing in the event of an injury. I would approve that move.

IF healthy, I could see Morrow potting 20 to 25 goals as the B's 3rd line left wing, while bringing a physical presence to that line. He'd certainly benefit from facing the opposing teams 3rd pairing dmen also.
Morrow certainley is not at the beginning of his career, he is past his prime, that doesn't mean he isn't a good player and I didn't say that either.

I am only guessing, but it sure looks to me that Caron is going to be the more durable player at this point in their careers, Morrow has had some injuries and his production has slipped, those are facts.

I never said he couldn't or wouldn't bounce back, I said I had my doubts or concerns about whether or not he would be so much better than Caron that it is worth using all of the cap that it would take when there is a possibility that there may be a better player than Morrow available at the deadline and if the Bruins were to make that move now, adding another player who is better than Morrow without giving up an everyday player at the deadline are extremely slim if they make this kind of move.

I like Caron, I think he isn't being given a chance by some people on this board and I think he has a lot of similarities to Nathan Horton. That doesn't mean I think he will ever be a 30 goal scorer, just that he is a guy who has shown that he can and will use his body to create offense and has some scoring ability and I am not so sure that I am ready to give that up for an older player who has one year left on his deal and has questions about his durability and his slipping production.

Morrow probably answers those questions quickly when he next plays, I just don't know what those answers are and I am not eager to trade any prospects that I really like for a player like that.

If the price was something more like what Recchi was acquired for, and in my eyes that would be more like Suave and Bartkowski in a package for Morrow, then I would love to see the Bruins acquire Morrow.

I am not so sure Dallas would do that though.

Either way, I did not say Morrow's career is over, I said he is at the end of his career and most 33 year old players are at the end of their careers.

Old
09-27-2012, 12:14 PM
jh477

Morrow was at his best 3-4 seasons ago and likely won't reach that level again with his injury history. If he were to be moved it would be for a pretty average return. It's probably a better idea for the Stars to hang on to him and hope that he is able to stay healthy.

jh477 is offline   Reply With Quote