*OFFICIAL* Sudbury Wolves 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2012, 05:51 PM
bonefizzle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiller View Post
I am not a Burgess family member as you are insinuating. Reread what i wrote that the Wolves are carrying 1 more rostered forward than they always have. No spots were lost. Let this issue die as i didnt want to bring more attention to it but rather bring some sense and awareness to the harsh critics. Leave the personal attacks off of public media.
Yes they were.. he took vilardis spot. Who was drafted higher and is way better.

On the bright side vilardi has been lights out playing junior A back home. 3 goals 3 assists in 6 games.

maybe he will get a call up midway through the year

Old
09-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Loosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefizzle View Post
Yes they were.. he took vilardis spot. Who was drafted higher and is way better.

On the bright side vilardi has been lights out playing junior A back home. 3 goals 3 assists in 6 games.

maybe he will get a call up midway through the year
Yes but Connor Burgess was more than likely kept because he had such limited viewing in training camp. They are also carrying 25 players right now, once they are fully healthy I expect Burgess to get sent down unless he's proven he should stay.

Old
09-23-2012, 05:43 PM
TheNorth
Better Call Saul

Seen Burgess with the puck once today, couple boo's, his skating needs some work

Old
09-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Buddy23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorth View Post
Seen Burgess with the puck once today, couple boo's, his skating needs some work
His skating needs a lot of work. Especially on the line! Give the kid some credit though, first game in and no glaring mistakes. Missed Schutt!

Old
09-24-2012, 09:08 AM
WolvesFan
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy23 View Post
His skating needs a lot of work. Especially on the line! Give the kid some credit though, first game in and no glaring mistakes. Missed Schutt!
He REALLY needs work on his skating... He was very shaky, got knocked off the puck a lot... However from what I saw he has a nice shot, still not ready for the O. Should be ready to go next season if he works on his skating...

On a Team Note, After going 2-0 in our home opener weekend, I like what I am seeing, The euros and shutt have a great chemistery together and our first line made up of Kantor, Levio, and Pancel are really impressing me!! I think I'm looking forward to this season!

Old
09-24-2012, 11:56 AM
djscooter

Funny all these people with 0-3 posts come out of the woodwork to compliment Burgess on his play. The fact is, they dressed him, put him onto the best line from Friday, and then followed it up by barely playing that line after the chemistry they showed on Friday was ruined. The kid can't skate at a major midget level, never mind an OHL level. He may or may not have a good shot but the fact is he'll never get into position to use it.

Old
09-24-2012, 12:20 PM
Hockeyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by djscooter View Post
Funny all these people with 0-3 posts come out of the woodwork to compliment Burgess on his play. The fact is, they dressed him, put him onto the best line from Friday, and then followed it up by barely playing that line after the chemistry they showed on Friday was ruined. The kid can't skate at a major midget level, never mind an OHL level. He may or may not have a good shot but the fact is he'll never get into position to use it.
Was at the game. He really impaired the movement of that line. You cannot put a non skater with two guys who can...forget about stick skills, just the skating side of it. Schutt complimented the imports because he could skate but also has stick skills.

Now we know that he is here to stay. He will get his shifts in and his games in. We will have 15 healthy forwards going into next weekends road trip - what happens. Do they take guys out of the lineup and sit them? Who plays with Burgess going forward. I am afraid that there may be a mass request for trades if he is on their line for prolong periods of time...because you know that line will not play very much or actually never get going. Understand he is very good kid but playing here when he is not ready and may never be ready. You can see the way he skates that there is little room for improvement.

I think that BS's plan to keep 15 forwards on the team is the wrong idea. No other team has done this...call-ups are not suppose to come from guys you are sitting - they aren't playing. Go to the tier 2 guys who are playing and in game shape.

Old
09-24-2012, 04:34 PM
Arsenault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfriend View Post
Was at the game. He really impaired the movement of that line. You cannot put a non skater with two guys who can...forget about stick skills, just the skating side of it. Schutt complimented the imports because he could skate but also has stick skills.

Now we know that he is here to stay. He will get his shifts in and his games in. We will have 15 healthy forwards going into next weekends road trip - what happens. Do they take guys out of the lineup and sit them? Who plays with Burgess going forward. I am afraid that there may be a mass request for trades if he is on their line for prolong periods of time...because you know that line will not play very much or actually never get going. Understand he is very good kid but playing here when he is not ready and may never be ready. You can see the way he skates that there is little room for improvement.

I think that BS's plan to keep 15 forwards on the team is the wrong idea. No other team has done this...call-ups are not suppose to come from guys you are sitting - they aren't playing. Go to the tier 2 guys who are playing and in game shape.
Folks
Get with it, C.B is on the team and here to stay. Not the first time nor the last time an owner's kid has made the roster over other more qualified players but that is life. If I was the owner I would expect no less <except trading for 3rd and 4th rounder next year when his kid would have still been available in the last few rounds>. As the year progresses and the coaching staff gets more focus on wining than rosters expect CB ice time to virtually disappear. Actually their decision to go with 15 players was likely a comprimise between the coaching staff and management. This way they get to keep their best players while still making room for CB. Personally if i was CB dad I would have been more patient and have him play another year at Midget AAA to allow him to develop better, but I am not. As to the comments on Valardi being a better player than Burgess, i also agree but also suggest that he is better off developing at the Junior A level and was it not for the fact that he was drafted before Burgess they would not have signed him prior to main camp, nor would he have cracked their roster. Good luck this season, we have a good core and with a few trades (defense) we will be a contender and come play off time CB will be joining us in the stands.

Old
09-24-2012, 10:22 PM
bonefizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenault View Post
Folks
Get with it, C.B is on the team and here to stay. Not the first time nor the last time an owner's kid has made the roster over other more qualified players but that is life. If I was the owner I would expect no less <except trading for 3rd and 4th rounder next year when his kid would have still been available in the last few rounds>. As the year progresses and the coaching staff gets more focus on wining than rosters expect CB ice time to virtually disappear. Actually their decision to go with 15 players was likely a comprimise between the coaching staff and management. This way they get to keep their best players while still making room for CB. Personally if i was CB dad I would have been more patient and have him play another year at Midget AAA to allow him to develop better, but I am not. As to the comments on Valardi being a better player than Burgess, i also agree but also suggest that he is better off developing at the Junior A level and was it not for the fact that he was drafted before Burgess they would not have signed him prior to main camp, nor would he have cracked their roster. Good luck this season, we have a good core and with a few trades (defense) we will be a contender and come play off time CB will be joining us in the stands.

Vilardi now has 8 points in 7 games in Junior A. I agree that the year in Junior A will really serve him well as he will be playing a lot more then he would with the wolves but don't be surprised if he decides to go College Route now. I think if he keeps producing this year they might want to call him up midway through so they don't lose him.

Old
09-24-2012, 11:20 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Vilardi now has 8 points in 7 games in Junior A. I agree that the year in Junior A will really serve him well as he will be playing a lot more then he would with the wolves but don't be surprised if he decides to go College Route now. I think if he keeps producing this year they might want to call him up midway through so they don't lose him.
I am glad that Vilardi is doing well, and hopefully he gets a chance/call up this year, to motivate the kid.

In respect to Connor Burgess, I dont think he should be criticized so heavily on this site, but unfortunately there are alot of die hard Wolves fans that want to see the best for the team. It is clear to all that CB shouldnt be on the team. He may have not taken a spot, but it looks bad on the team, and doesnt support credibility .

Gill's kid or Gilmour' kid are not playing in Kingston??

If I were Mark Burgess, I would make sure that my son earned a spot. There should be so much accountability and responsibility on upper management/owner to suit the best team available.

It is tough enough for a bonifide 1st or 2nd round 16 year old to make the team, never mind a token draft choice.

JMO

Old
09-25-2012, 05:36 AM
i luvallsports

As silly as this may sound, maybe even Connor himself should speak up. He knows hes behind the other kids. He must know the other team members are aware of his situation. Mr.Burgess should be ashamed of himself.

Old
09-25-2012, 07:38 AM
WolvesFan
The Voice of Reason

Let me clarify myself from before, I'm not vouching for CB, to be frank I really don't think he will ever be able to play very well in the O, even if his heart is in it... But Unfortunately playing with heart is not enough if you have minimum to no skating ability and a semi-decent shot that you will never be able use because of your very poor skating.

So yeah I'm a little bitter... As a wolves season ticket holder I want to see the best on the ice, and like what was said earlier in the thread It's not fair to the other kids who have a shot at getting better and playing OHL Hockey or even NHL Hockey if they are lucky, and with CB in the mix, who let's be honest, at his current place He would not make another teams lineup never mind get drafted. It's just a real shame.

All I'm saying is I understand that this is an unfair world, but That doesn't mean that I have to like it!

Old
09-25-2012, 08:02 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
I've also heard the college route may now be an option, particularly given how the whole release was handled. Family was not happy.

Old
09-25-2012, 08:14 AM
WolvesFan
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
I've also heard the college route may now be an option, particularly given how the whole release was handled. Family was not happy.
Can you blame them?? :S I would be Ticked Man if that was me!!!

Old
09-25-2012, 08:28 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolvesFan View Post
Can you blame them?? :S I would be Ticked Man if that was me!!!
From what I have been told, ticked doesn't even begin to describe it......

Old
09-25-2012, 08:34 AM
WolvesFan
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
From what I have been told, ticked doesn't even begin to describe it......
What have you heard?

Old
09-25-2012, 08:44 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolvesFan View Post
What have you heard?
PM me.

Old
09-25-2012, 09:17 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
It wont be, but he will play for the Wolves this year. Vilardi is a third round pick, he has his warts that he needs to work on.

Old
09-25-2012, 11:51 AM
howlman

Poor kid, daddy burgess doesn't have a clue. I feel really bad for Connor to be put in this type of situation, especially on Sunday at times when he would touch the puck and you would hear boo's from the Sudbury crowd... yikes. It will only get worse as the more he plays the more boo's there will be as he flat out cannot play at the OHL level, his skating is atrocious. Not fair for the kid, it's not his fault daddy put him in this situation. Good luck Connor hopefully daddy can come to terms with you needing some more time to develop in AAA hockey.

Old
09-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Buddy23

Quote:
Wow nice welcome to a new site. Admittedly the line "Especially on the line" should have read "Especially on that line" but so be it! As for complementing Burgess I simply stated that he made no glaring mistakes. The coaches were smart to pull him off when the euros were on the PP and used him sparingly. Is he ready ... probably not but not to many 16 year olds are.
Since I'm still at 0-3 comments I guess I'm still "coming out of the woodwork"

Old
09-25-2012, 06:40 PM
Loosie

Quote:
Yes because post count qualifies you as a hockey scout. You realize that if this kid had any other name on the back of jersey he wouldn't be under this kind of scrutiny.

Old
09-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Hockeyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosie View Post
Yes because post count qualifies you as a hockey scout. You realize that if this kid had any other name on the back of jersey he wouldn't be under this kind of scrutiny.
You are right!!! He wouldn't be on the team then and would not have been selected where he was.

Old
09-25-2012, 07:55 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Hey Wolves fans!

Canucks fan here wanting to know how your Captain & our future blue liner Corrado has looked so far?

Also according to Bob Mac, Corrado is the sole Vancouver CHL prospect eligible for recall if the lock out ends. We have a deep blue line so I don't think you guys would have to worry too much but IF Corrado were to make it just how big of a hole would that leave for you guys?

Anyway all the best this season! There are a few of us that will be paying extra close attention due to the lock out so I hope you guys don't mind Van fans occasionally dropping by

Old
09-25-2012, 10:38 PM
djscooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosie View Post
The kid cannot skate, plain and simple. Last I checked, hockey was played on ice with skates. Jason Allison looks like a speedster compared to young Connor. I really truly to feel back for him as his dads own greed has thrown him into the situation, and for all I know, he might be a good kid.

Old
09-25-2012, 11:16 PM
WolvesFan
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Hey Wolves fans!

Canucks fan here wanting to know how your Captain & our future blue liner Corrado has looked so far?

Also according to Bob Mac, Corrado is the sole Vancouver CHL prospect eligible for recall if the lock out ends. We have a deep blue line so I don't think you guys would have to worry too much but IF Corrado were to make it just how big of a hole would that leave for you guys?

Anyway all the best this season! There are a few of us that will be paying extra close attention due to the lock out so I hope you guys don't mind Van fans occasionally dropping by
If you bring your Blue and Green Men!!! Come as often is you like!!

Closed Thread