HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2012 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2012, 12:04 AM
Pyrophorus

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I would think so. It would be first and foremost on my wish list. Big risk taking someone who missed almost their entire draft year. A good bounce back year with a majority of games played would be step one.

Wouldnt you agree?
Yes, I just wanted to make sure, you were being fair to both prospects.

Old
09-24-2012, 12:21 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
Rielly is touted as a one-dimensional threat... Not a dual threat offensively and defensively like Orr...

Please for the love of God at least save the Orr comparisons to when/if he actually plays an NHL game...
No one has ever used these terms in relation to hockey before.

How can you be a defensive threat?

Old
09-24-2012, 12:23 AM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshields View Post
Rielly does remind me of Bobby Orr sometimes. Especially when he comes up ice with the puck and it appears the other team is happy to watch him go by.
Orr's greatest atribute was his never quit effort. Rielly shows some of that at times.
Morgan Rielly.

He does remind me of Bobby Orr sometimes.

Old
09-24-2012, 12:58 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

But yes, it is a concern/hope for Rielly to stay healthy, just as it is for any of our prospects.

Old
09-24-2012, 07:35 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Why do people got to make it personal? This has nothing to do with the Oilers or other Leafs. Talk about MoRiles or get out of the topic.

Anyways, yes PPG is probably a bit much to expect but expecting 50ish in a healthy season isn't ridiculous.

09-24-2012, 08:10 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Why do people got to make it personal? This has nothing to do with the Oilers or other Leafs. Talk about MoRiles or get out of the topic.

Anyways, yes PPG is probably a bit much to expect but expecting 50ish in a healthy season isn't ridiculous.
I don't see a PPG as unrealistic for Rielly at all. I'm expecting that out of Ceci as a Sens fan this year. I know they are in different leagues and different situations team wise, but there is no question who is more skilled out of the two, that's Rielly.

Old
09-24-2012, 08:17 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
I don't see a PPG as unrealistic for Rielly at all. I'm expecting that out of Ceci as a Sens fan this year. I know they are in different leagues and different situations team wise, but there is no question who is more skilled out of the two, that's Rielly.
The Dub isn't known for having a ton of D-men putting up PPG numbers. I believe there were only 2 or 3 in each of the last couple of years and they are older guys. It would be nice definitely, but I'm not banking on it after he didn't have a ton of games to build off of last year.

Old
09-24-2012, 08:41 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
It would be nice if he did. It would really show what he's capable of if he did since the WHL is such a defensive league. Are the 67's a stacked team this year? Or are you expecting Ceci to run the offense due to lack of offensive skill?

Btw, love the name.

Old
09-24-2012, 08:48 AM
488fitter

I happen to be working in Brandon, Manitoba for a job and ended up going to a WheatKings' exhibition game against the Warriors. IMO Rielly was the best player on the ice. I might have been focusing on him too much compared to the other players, but regardless he was super smooth, patient, never panicked, and had consistent tape to tape passes in the 6-1 victory (left with 5min left in the 3rd so scored mighta changed).
What I found interesting is that on a full 2min 2-man advantaged, he lined up as a rightwing and then proceeded to quarterback the PP from the half wall for the full 2min. He had a very nice assist in the game as well where it was a simple tap in for his teammate. Overall, I was pretty impressed with his game.

Old
09-24-2012, 09:10 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
It would be nice if he did. It would really show what he's capable of if he did since the WHL is such a defensive league. Are the 67's a stacked team this year? Or are you expecting Ceci to run the offense due to lack of offensive skill?

Btw, love the name.
The 67's lost Prince, Toffoli, Martindale among others, so that is a large chunk of their offense. Monohan will step up in a big way this year, and along with him, their offense will be run through Ceici. He already played 30 mins a game last year, and will see at least that this year.

They are certainly not a stacked team, he is in a position where he is the go-to guy, not unlike Rielly, and should better his numbers of last year. (60 points in 64 games)

If the first 2 games were any indication, he will get his chance to better them at least.

Old
09-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

if reilly doesn't score close to ppg it would be a dissapointment. With that said, hes a lock to imo

Old
09-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Sundinisagod
just give'r

Quote:
Rielly is touted as a one-dimensional threat... Not a dual threat offensively and defensively like Orr...

Please for the love of God at least save the Orr comparisons to when/if he actually plays an NHL game...
FYI Rielly is considered to be pretty decent in his own end for an offensive defenceman. Style-wise I think he resembles Leetch, others say Letang and Keith.

Old
09-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Sundinisagod
just give'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Security Guard Chang View Post
if reilly doesn't score close to ppg it would be a dissapointment. With that said, hes a lock to imo
Far from a lock to get a ppg IMHO. That said, I am hoping for a ppg pace as that would indicate that he's picked up where he left off...as opposed to trying to get back to where he was. I wonder how his conditioning will be this year?

Old
09-24-2012, 02:10 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Security Guard Chang View Post
Huh? Pietrangelo didn't even get a ppg in the OHL the season after he was drafted..

Old
09-24-2012, 03:06 PM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
FYI Rielly is considered to be pretty decent in his own end for an offensive defenceman. Style-wise I think he resembles Leetch, others say Letang and Keith.
might be wrong, but pretty sure when he was drafted Bobby Mac even said he is only a one dimensional player

Old
09-24-2012, 03:07 PM
conway902

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Huh? Pietrangelo didn't even get a ppg in the OHL the season after he was drafted..
huh? what does that have to do with Rielly not having a step backwards in offensive numbers?

Old
09-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Sundinisagod
just give'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by conway902 View Post
huh? what does that have to do with Rielly not having a step backwards in offensive numbers?
I think he's just trying to illustrate how hard it is for a defenceman to hit a ppg...and Alex wasn't even coming off an injury.

Old
09-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Sundinisagod
just give'r

Quote:
might be wrong, but pretty sure when he was drafted Bobby Mac even said he is only a one dimensional player
I could be wrong but I don't recall Bobby Mac saying that, perhaps something along the lines of offensively gifted but needs work on his defense...which is a pretty standard thing to say about offensive defenseman prospects.

Old
09-24-2012, 03:41 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
I could be wrong but I don't recall Bobby Mac saying that, perhaps something along the lines of offensively gifted but needs work on his defense...which is a pretty standard thing to say about offensive defenseman prospects.
He said it, but he was quoting ''some'':

50 second mark.

Old
09-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Sundinisagod
just give'r

I stand corrected, though it doesn't sound so bad the way Bob says it

Old
09-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Man Bear Pig

Yup, Bob said "some say" which doesn't mean that's his opinion. I'm hoping Morgan can at least be average defensively. His skating and IQ should help him in this area. I'm not gonna fool myself though, I don't expect to see this kid crushing people in the future.

Old
09-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Rshields

The rap on defense probably comes because he doesn't stand on the blue line when in the offensive zone. He will slide into the tap in post if his team has good pressure.
He seldom loses one on one battles in the corners. That's where the rushes come from. Won't be as easy as players get bigger an stronger, but he also gets bigger and better every year so far.

Old
09-24-2012, 05:47 PM
SnipeCheeseAllDay

Rielly is extremely talented. All these comparisons he's getting are very reachable for him EVEN after his knee injury. He's a gym rat, always gives 110% and on top of that is naturally gifted.

His skating, his poise, his IQ and his effort is unreal. His offense is obviously top notch, but his defensive game is VERY underrated. When he pinches in (and he rarely ever pinches at the wrong times), he's somehow always the first one back on D.

I'm not going to say he's a lock to become like any of his comparisons (Letang, Orr, Leetch, Keith, Niedermayer), but if I was a betting man I would bet he becomes something special. IMO if he reaches his full potential, he would look more like a Niedermayer or a Leetch than a Letang/Keith. Again, not saying he's the next Niedermayer/Leetch (yet).

Old
09-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Yeah, I think Reilly can become a Letang type player, but it'll take patience.

Old
09-24-2012, 07:43 PM
edruga

vCash: 666
If Rielly turns into a Letang, the Leafs finally hit a draft home run.

Closed Thread