HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout discussion thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Captain Saku

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
What this tells me is that hockey is no different then any other form of mainstream entertainment these days. It is no longer about the love of the craft nor the thrill of doing something you love, but a way to make ludicrous amounts of lucre while enabling themselves to live fabulous rock star lives.

Once again it shall be the working class that suffers. Those of us that slave for corporations that make fortunes off of our backs, off of those that have no choice but to work for them. Us that look to entertainment and sports as a way to escape the mundane lives we live and have something to cheer for.

As retaliation, I will no longer purchase any form of NHL licensed or endorsed products. This includes clothing and collectables, video games (I have bought and played every EA game since NHLPA in 1992) and tickets to NHL matches.

Let the players play out their careers in the KHL and the owners sit in their empty buildings. I hope their greed brings them nothing but distress. Balls to the lot of them.

My only hope is that RDS and TSN pick up the AHL season.
Well, I live and die hockey, the Habs are pretty much the only professional team I follow during winter (except european soccer at times), I always went at least twice a year, bought many products, but I can tell you that starting from this year I'm really not spending a cent anymore. I will always follow the habs, probably not miss a game, but on TV only. Not because I want to protest against the lockout, really the lockout has nothing to do with the decision, but it really became too expensive to go to Bell Center. After the last time I went last season, I said to myself, that's it, I'm spending too much money for this, better invest my money on something else. Maybe I'll be back in many years from now when I have kids, I'd like to take them at least once, but spending 300$ a night for me and my wife to watch a hockey game is beyond any comprehension.

Old
09-24-2012, 01:20 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405999
Quote:
"I think people don't think it can go a year," Cleary told the Free Press on Sunday. "As players, we think it can. Maybe longer."
Woa. Why would you give out such opinions publicly? Do Players/Oweners think it's good idea to "try" and use the public as a bargaining chip?

How unrealistic would it to be for a new Pro hockey league to rise in NA?

Old
09-24-2012, 02:11 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post

Quote:
"I think people don't think it can go a year," Cleary told the Free Press on Sunday. "As players, we think it can. Maybe longer."
Woa. Why would you give out such opinions publicly? Do Players/Owners think it's good idea to "try" and use the public as a bargaining chip?

Let's say this does drag on and the NHL loses 2 full seasons.. Would either side actually think they really won in the end if that did happen? Everybody would lose out of it but the biggest losers IMO would be the current players who would have lost millions of dollars in salary that they'll never recover.

Really though if these players don't mind losing maybe 2 years and millions in salary with no guarantees they'll even get what they want out of this, then by all means stay out as long as you like.

All I know is if I was a player making 5 million dollars per season and there was a chance I could lose 5 - 10 million dollars I wouldn't be a happy camper right now.

Will it had been worth it to the current players in the end? Ask Mike Modano what he thinks guys..

Old
09-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I wonder if Price will sign in Europe.
Supposedly teams are being cautious about signing goalies, especially ones with limited foreigner slots.

If this continues Price might be stuck playing in Alaska with Gomez.

Old
09-24-2012, 02:53 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Let's say this does drag on and the NHL loses 2 full seasons.. Would either side actually think they really won in the end if that did happen? Everybody would lose out of it but the biggest losers IMO would be the current players who would have lost millions of dollars in salary that they'll never recover.

Really though if these players don't mind losing maybe 2 years and millions in salary with no guarantees they'll even get what they want out of this, then by all means stay out as long as you like.

All I know is if I was a player making 5 million dollars per season and there was a chance I could lose 5 - 10 million dollars I wouldn't be a happy camper right now.

Will it had been worth it to the current players in the end? Ask Mike Modano what he thinks guys..
I doubt lock out would go for 1+ season, let alone 1 season. All the european leagues will profit from the new exposure (which they already are), and doubt NHL want that
But seems to me, lack of competition in the pro hockey market, specifically in NA is starting to take it's toll on the sport. Feels like we will be seeing more and more of these 'lock outs' in the near future.

Old
09-24-2012, 03:04 PM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
A negotiated agreement is a double standard? How so? The only double standard at work here is your notion that owners can maximize profit while players can't.
A negotiated agreement that the owners gave more $ to the players for the sake of a salary cap. Backfired. Why keep an agreement that doesn't work? Like when our americain brothers were almost paid to exploit our natural resources. Anyway, it seems like you want an argument over something we disagree and I do not feel like it, particularly when it's not in my born language.

Old
09-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
haha I hope he knows what to expect in Ambri-Piotta

-two small villages at the end of the valley , 30 min away from Locarno
-arena not even fully closed, very cold in winter
-hardcore fan following

At least I bet he's gonna love the ambiance.

Old
09-24-2012, 04:55 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Supposedly teams are being cautious about signing goalies, especially ones with limited foreigner slots.

If this continues Price might be stuck playing in Alaska with Gomez.
Could be good for Price's confidence...

Old
09-25-2012, 10:02 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
What there is something wrong with the truth ?

He is the perfect international player....for the habs mehhh !
Is that what your source told you?

Old
09-25-2012, 10:58 AM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post

Woa. Why would you give out such opinions publicly? Do Players/Oweners think it's good idea to "try" and use the public as a bargaining chip?

I am just tired of seeing this every ten years or so in the league (1800 plus games lost to a work stoppage in the last ten years). I started to tune out last season because the Habs were basically out of the playoff picture by February so this just is a continuation of what I did last season.

As for who is to blame, greed and more greed on the part of both parties. They both want to get the most out of the money we give to them. It is that simple.

EDIT: As for a new hockey league, that will be a very difficult prospect given how entrenched the NHL is in the NA hockey market. The new league will fizzle out in a short period of time.

Old
09-25-2012, 11:16 AM
NORiculous

vCash: 945
Players have zero understanding of business. They thought they caved in last time but they sure as hell didn't lose...

They need to cave in again and, guess what, everyone wins.

Old
09-25-2012, 12:43 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Is that what your source told you?
No, are you blind ? He plays like a girl, he even admits it as so ! I wonder how many time M Richard admitted to playing like a girl. **** him, trade him while we can.

Old
09-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
No, are you blind ? He plays like a girl, he even admits it as so ! I wonder how many time M Richard admitted to playing like a girl. **** him, trade him while we can.
He's one of the most solid two-way players in the game and any team would love to have him. He can be used in any game situation, has incredible hockey IQ, is a consummate professional and extremely hard worker. And no I'm not blind, but you certainly aren't gaining any credibility in this thread. Though at this point I'm not sure if you're serious or just looking for reactions.

Old
09-25-2012, 01:00 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
He's one of the most solid two-way players in the game and any team would love to have him. He can be used in any game situation, has incredible hockey IQ, is a consummate professional and extremely hard worker. And no I'm not blind, but you certainly aren't gaining any credibility in this thread. Though at this point I'm not sure if you're serious or just looking for reactions.
Well lets see, you attacked me with my source. What the **** did you expect for a reaction ? Like i told you i dont really care if you beleive me about my sources. If you were smart enough to pm me, you might actually get an answer.

As for Pleks, mehh !

Old
09-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Well lets see, you attacked me with my source. What the **** did you expect for a reaction ? Like i told you i dont really care if you beleive me about my sources. If you were smart enough to pm me, you might actually get an answer.

As for Pleks, mehh !
Your source is the only person on the planet that thinks there is a ray of hope in this mess. They haven't discussed in 12 days, there are no planned meetings until Friday, current players are attacking Bettman publicly left right and center, there is a mass exodus to Europe happening with star players, Dan Cleary just said publicly that he thinks this could go 2 years. What the hell do you expect?

About Plekanec, well, that's just nonsense if you're serious.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:13 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

If I understood google translate correctly, Kaberle will play his first game tomorrow.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Et le But

Yannick "Goon" Weber with 4 penalties so far today.

Old
09-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Only a guy that has no argument would use a line that Plekanec said in a post game interview years ago for admitting he did not play well in one game to bash him. Why don't you use his stats, work ethic, professionalism and simply how he performs to criticize him instead? Oh wait, you can't. So yeah, continue to use the "he said he played like a girl" argument, you're just showing you have no argument.

Old
09-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Et le But

Every time someone uses the "Plekanec even said he plays like a girl" out of context argument to downplay Plekanec, it becomes clear there's no point in arguing any further.

Old
09-25-2012, 03:45 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Every time someone uses the "Plekanec even said he plays like a girl" out of context argument to downplay Plekanec, it becomes clear there's no point in arguing any further.
If only more players were honest about themselves and held themselves accountable like Plekanec.

Old
09-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
But...but...but...he said so! I have sources! I'm important damn it! People like me! I'm kind of a big deal.

Old
09-25-2012, 04:02 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Markov will be the next captain. My sources told me.

Old
09-25-2012, 04:15 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyClutch View Post
Of Dynamo Moscow?

Habs Prospects website
Old
09-25-2012, 04:43 PM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

Quote:
Pyongyang really has a finger in everybody's pie, eh?

Old
09-25-2012, 05:16 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
How can he be captain when we are not sure his knee will hold up? a captain cannot have a bad knee!

Closed Thread