HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

Be A Pro Thread

Old
09-23-2012, 04:23 PM
CowbellConray

vCash: 500
Dont have NHL 13 yet... Probably soon though. But I just started one in 12 can I post here?

CowbellConray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 08:27 AM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

vCash: 50
So far I'm really enjoying BAP. Only things I wish were changed: when you call to get on the ice, every one of your forwards goes for a change, which can be a bit annoying AND I wish that when you simmed to next shift, it just blacked the screen out and actually simmed however many minutes to your next shift and didn't just let you back out.

irunthepeg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

I do not have the emotional stability to play goalie in bap. Using the most generally recommended and realistic goalie sliders, one game I get a 95% save and 1 goal against, the next i let in the first 3 shots and ragequit. I don't get how I don't change my strategy at all, yet that still happens.

Diamondillium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 02:18 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Just started as a Dman in the CHL. No one can finish my passes lol.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 03:18 PM
AndyPipkin

Please people, if you don't want to take playing goal seriously then just quit before the game starts...

Old
09-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Cheddabombs
Status Quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Please people, if you don't want to take playing goal seriously then just quit before the game starts...
I dont know, I've had a decent season so far. Played around 30 games so far, posting a .890 SV% and around 2.40 GAA with 2 shutouts. Nothing spectacular but it's still decent. Playing on all star and 7 minute periods.

The big difference I've seen this year in playing goalie is that your team will actually provide offense on a consistent basis. Last year 1 game they would score 3 goals then get shutout for like 3 games in a row. This time is much more consistent and that helps a great deal.

Cheddabombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 05:19 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddabombs View Post
I dont know, I've had a decent season so far. Played around 30 games so far, posting a .890 SV% and around 2.40 GAA with 2 shutouts. Nothing spectacular but it's still decent. Playing on all star and 7 minute periods.

The big difference I've seen this year in playing goalie is that your team will actually provide offense on a consistent basis. Last year 1 game they would score 3 goals then get shutout for like 3 games in a row. This time is much more consistent and that helps a great deal.
Oh thats great. That was more for the people that goof around when they don't want to be goalie and ruin the game

Old
09-24-2012, 05:50 PM
Cheddabombs
Status Quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Oh thats great. That was more for the people that goof around when they don't want to be goalie and ruin the game
Aha ohh sorry. I read that as people should just give up on the goalie mode, my bad.

Cheddabombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 06:01 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddabombs View Post
Aha ohh sorry. I read that as people should just give up on the goalie mode, my bad.
Meh it happens. I'd love it if I played with goalies with those stats.

Old
09-24-2012, 08:49 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Drafted 1st overall by the Anaheim Ducks after winning back to back Memorial Cups! Awesome , didn't want to end up drafted by the Leafs or Columbus. This is gonna be fun... I wish Selanne was still around

Old
09-25-2012, 09:38 AM
gojackets1
Someday.

Drafted 1st overall by the Oilers, who proceed to not resign Eberle, Hall, RNH, Yak, Dubnyk, and any other player who was remotely good. Tyler Bunz is the starting goalie as a 71 overall, and I'm 76 overall which is the second highest on the team. ****ing brutal.

gojackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 10:34 AM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
Drafted 1st overall by the Oilers, who proceed to not resign Eberle, Hall, RNH, Yak, Dubnyk, and any other player who was remotely good. Tyler Bunz is the starting goalie as a 71 overall, and I'm 76 overall which is the second highest on the team. ****ing brutal.
I've never been so relieved to see Ryan, Sbisa and Beauchemin... Fowler is gone, Hiller is gone, Getzlaf is gone, Perry is gone, Selanne is retired... I think I'm the 2nd or 3rd highest overall player at like 72. I like that your overall goes down when you get to the pros, otherwise it would be too easy.

I played two preseason games and scored 6 goals in the first game and 4 in the second. Coach tells me I'm pretty much a lock to make the team Overall, I wouldn't even be opposed to going to the AHL although I can't at 18. I like knowing that attributes will deteriorate with age too because I wasn't sure why you could actually 'retire' in the game.

Old
09-25-2012, 11:49 AM
Propane Nightmares
Sinister Rouge

So I finally figured out how to actually play goalie mode, never realised they had this new anticipation thing

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:46 PM
Smash88

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
So I finally figured out how to actually play goalie mode, never realised they had this new anticipation thing
I still have no clue how to play it... LOL

Smash88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:58 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash88 View Post
I still have no clue how to play it... LOL
Same

Old
09-25-2012, 02:50 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sinister Rouge

Basically you press the right stick in the direction you think they're going to shoot. Prior to knowing about this I was raging because my guy would let in soft shots when I was in perfect position

Old
09-25-2012, 05:32 PM
Peter10
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to Peter10
So i just won the Richard, Ross, Hart and Lindsay Trophy and when i ask for a trade the GM keeps on telling me i have to prove myself first because right now they cant get fair value for me (84ov).

After that i tried something, simmed all my games, 50 games into the season i am already demoted to the farm team playing on the 3rd line. I ask for a deal and get traded immidiatly - now for some reason only a a 75 ov rating (i guess you drop once demoted).

It just doesnt make any sense. Either the whole "trade request engine" is screwed or they just put in the wrong comments for trade requests.

Peter10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 05:47 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

Quote:
Basically you press the right stick in the direction you think they're going to shoot. Prior to knowing about this I was raging because my guy would let in soft shots when I was in perfect position
My confusion is to whether or not you're expected to be using this on every shot, or only if you are 100% certain they are going to shoot a certain direction.

Diamondillium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sinister Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
My confusion is to whether or not you're expected to be using this on every shot, or only if you are 100% certain they are going to shoot a certain direction.
I'm not sure, it's definitely best to use it when a guy is skating at you on the rush, and when a Dman can get a clear shot off with no traffic in front. Those were the kind of shots that were beating me before, for everything else I mostly play normally

Old
09-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sinister Rouge

Quote:
I'm not sure, it's definitely best to use it when a guy is skating at you on the rush, and when a Dman can get a clear shot off with no traffic in front. Those were the kind of shots that were beating me before, for everything else I mostly play normally
To add, the guy in the video I watched said it's only necessary when it's a good player taking the shot who can pick the corners. So let's say you've got a 4th liner shooting on the rush, you could just play the angles and not anticipate and most likely make the save, but if you've got someone who can really snipe like Ovechkin or Gaborik they're much more likely to score if you don't anticipate. Of course, it also depends on your pro's attributes.

Same thing applies when playing online, if your goalie doesn't have great attributes and you're facing a guy with really good shooting attributes, he's much more likely to score if you don't anticipate

Old
09-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Cmox

I'm not into how much XP points you lose every season.

Cmox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 08:26 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Got drafted by the Devils fist overall, after scoring, all simmed pretty much,(As a 16/17 yr. old):

72 GP
49 G
61 A
110 P

Playoffs was something like 30 in 22, plus 11 in 4 memorial cup games.

17/18 year old:

72 GP
54 G
45 A
99 P

Had a crazy playoffs, something like a 2.5 PPG got eliminated in the 3rd round though

Played well for the Devils in pre-season(or so I thought), but they sent me down. Was kind of pissed at first considering my 12 forwards consisted of one sniper(me), one two way forward, 2 DFD and 8 grinders Goaltending was improved though from my 2nd year. Had Tyler Bunz my first year, the god of junior goaltending in this game. Some scrub in year two, but he went up to 56 for the third year so not too bad. Defence was all 56's and 55's. Pretty decent.

I knew I'd destroy the league, so I figured I'd play myself up onto the first line(why a guy who was 77 overall, played in the NHL, scored over 200 points and won the team a memorial cup would be put on the third line, I don't know) and see what I could do.

Currently have something like 65 points in 35 games.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 08:35 PM
mitch27

Havent played an NHL game since 10. Damn goalie mode is hard. In my goalie BAP I let in like 4 goals a game. Any tips? I was no where near this bad in 10.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 05:36 AM
Propane Nightmares
Sinister Rouge

Be a pro is so broken it's unbelivable. I do the pre-season with my goalie and get told I'm being sent down, but they start me on the NHL roster anyway? Wtf?

Old
09-26-2012, 08:07 AM
SaNcAlandariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
Havent played an NHL game since 10. Damn goalie mode is hard. In my goalie BAP I let in like 4 goals a game. Any tips? I was no where near this bad in 10.
The usual tips.
Stay in position. Let the shooter make the first move.
Also, if you're good at leading the shooter to pick a spot or are great at anticipation, the right stick that controls goalie anticipation is a wonderful tool. Having actual goalie experience in high school helps also.
One last thing, be sure to challenge the shooter. Don't play on the goal line unless it's absolutely necessary, otherwise you will get lit up.

SaNcAlandariel is offline   Reply With Quote