HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I...

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2012, 02:50 AM
do0glas

vCash: 500
Got my first goal and assist! Only the second game in as well

Hopefully I can keep that level

Old
09-23-2012, 05:56 PM
howeaboutthat

.....played on the top line for the first time at scrimmage.

We were short on numbers and only had enough players for two lines a bench but most who turned up wanted to play on the beginner line. When the coach pushed for one of us to step up to make up the numbers, although I'm less experienced than many others, I threw my hat in.

Must say I'm glad I did. So much better playing with players who actually look for position rather than chase the puck like bees round honey. Really tiring though, skating near enough flat out to keep up with them all, rather being able to coast on the bottom line.

Might have to try stepping up more often.

Old
09-23-2012, 07:47 PM
cowboy82nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by howeaboutthat View Post
.....played on the top line for the first time at scrimmage.

We were short on numbers and only had enough players for two lines a bench but most who turned up wanted to play on the beginner line. When the coach pushed for one of us to step up to make up the numbers, although I'm less experienced than many others, I threw my hat in.

Must say I'm glad I did. So much better playing with players who actually look for position rather than chase the puck like bees round honey. Really tiring though, skating near enough flat out to keep up with them all, rather being able to coast on the bottom line.

Might have to try stepping up more often.
Way to step up!!!!

Old
09-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Had 3 assists in our championship win for inline. 2nd in a row in this division, 3 out of 4 for the year. Playing for the championship in the next division up (shallow bench w/only our best players, and a goalie who's not as good) on Sunday.
...and today we played semi-finals and finals for our higher division and won it all again. We had a short bench with no subs for the finals, but as usual in that situation we end up playing smarter and therefore better.

Old
09-24-2012, 03:18 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Got my first 'real' goal - not a garbage goal from a rebound or just pushing it in, but an actual shot on goal that went in. A one-timer, no less.

It was just a weekly fun game that I play and not a league with stats being kept or anything, but it was still a great feeling to actually see it go in and know that I was the one who put it there!

The only other goal I've ever had was with my D-league and it was a shot a teammate mate from the point, it just barely touched the end of my blade on its way in to the net, so I got the credit for it. In my mind, that one never really counted as 'mine' even though the league stats show that it was.

Old
09-24-2012, 08:12 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
Got my first 'real' goal - not a garbage goal from a rebound or just pushing it in, but an actual shot on goal that went in. A one-timer, no less.

It was just a weekly fun game that I play and not a league with stats being kept or anything, but it was still a great feeling to actually see it go in and know that I was the one who put it there!

The only other goal I've ever had was with my D-league and it was a shot a teammate mate from the point, it just barely touched the end of my blade on its way in to the net, so I got the credit for it. In my mind, that one never really counted as 'mine' even though the league stats show that it was.
Congratz! But you forgot the most important part of scoring a goal. What was your celly?

Old
09-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Today I put myself into my college rec league as a free agent goalie and decided to put my name in for the extramural college hockey team that goes to three tourny's I believe. Considering I've only played about 10 times in the past two years, I hope all my off ice training has paid off

Old
09-24-2012, 11:16 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
Congratz! But you forgot the most important part of scoring a goal. What was your celly?
If I had to guess, for a first career "nice" goal, just arms in the air and a feeling of shock/excitement.

Old
09-25-2012, 12:16 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Ha, I didn't do much for a celly! Just did the fist bump with my teammates and went right back to playing. We only had 5 on each side, so we played the whole game 4 on 4 with one sub.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:02 AM
PaperworkNinja

Used a little strategy tonight. I'm the slowest guy on the ice and for some reason I get a pass from the more experienced skaters to carry the puck. I'm a defenseman so normally I pass it out and prowl the neutral zone because I figure I won't learn how to protect the puck if they give me so many breaks. So I tell one of my guys "follow me in at my back and right and act like you're there to pick up a rebound." He follows me in, I do a blind backhand pass to him and puts it past the goalie.

My best assist so far.

Old
09-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Trl3789

I scored my first goal last night. One of the guys playing D got to tired, so we switched and my first shift on D I took a shot from the point with a bunch of traffic in front. It was about a foot off the ground and because my shot is so weak it didn't make it to the net, dropped and went 5 hole. It was like throwing a sinker at the net.

Old
09-29-2012, 11:01 AM
do0glas

Got two goals last night! Both were off rebounds, but the whole night I felt on fire. I was catching passes out of the air, stealing the puck, I deked a guy and set up a 1 on 1 shot with the goalie but it was stopped and I played center part of the night! Won 3/5 face offs. Best game ever.

Now I'm joint top in PTs on our team

Old
09-29-2012, 02:19 PM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Got two goals last night! Both were off rebounds, but the whole night I felt on fire. I was catching passes out of the air, stealing the puck, I deked a guy and set up a 1 on 1 shot with the goalie but it was stopped and I played center part of the night! Won 3/5 face offs. Best game ever.

Now I'm joint top in PTs on our team
Awesome!

Just wondering, anything you've changed or worked on to improve your game? I've found practicing intensely this past summer has given me a nice edge, now 3 weeks into the season.

Old
09-29-2012, 02:27 PM
bp spec

...made my comeback after my ankle injury that sidelined me for over 3 months.

Old
09-29-2012, 04:02 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
On Thursday I gave myself a concussion and whiplash after catching an edge while skating backwards and going down hard. It's always something with me. No luck.

Old
09-29-2012, 06:07 PM
Propane Nightmares
Prehistoric Banter

Lined a Semi-pro game here in the UK, someone shattered the plexi behind the net during warmup, the rink staff couldn't put in the replacement glass for some reason so they had to board it up with wood

Picture I took just after it happened, sorry for crappy quality:

Old
09-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Propane Nightmares
Prehistoric Banter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TullyNYR View Post
If I had to guess, for a first career "nice" goal, just arms in the air and a feeling of shock/excitement.
I'm still waiting for a player to do a Gangnam style celly

Old
09-29-2012, 07:59 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
this was recently brought to the attention of my beer league team. would be funny to see anyone do it

Old
09-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Scored my second goal in two weeks at my regular pick up game (which considering I average precisely one goal per season over the past three years of league play is saying something). Parked at the back door, and the pass gets through everyone. I was so surprised I more chopped at it than shot it, but heck, it worked.

I also now understand why people who play shinny all the time are usually in good shape. The last two weeks have been 4-on-4 with one extra person on each bench. So much ice time.

Old
09-29-2012, 09:53 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
Awesome!

Just wondering, anything you've changed or worked on to improve your game? I've found practicing intensely this past summer has given me a nice edge, now 3 weeks into the season.
Mostly just golf ball training and copious amounts of NHL 13, not joking .

Those games are close enough to at least give you some visual training.

Old
09-29-2012, 10:20 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
My god, I'm gonna work that.

Old
09-29-2012, 10:42 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
My god, I'm gonna work that.
Have a white guy do it

Old
09-30-2012, 02:45 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

Today I almost got ejected in my 1st game of the season, but I was just given a 2 minute minor for boarding. Ended up with an assist in a 5-4 loss.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
09-30-2012, 09:00 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
I also now understand why people who play shinny all the time are usually in good shape. The last two weeks have been 4-on-4 with one extra person on each bench. So much ice time.
You sound like you've been playing at my games the past couple of weeks! 4 on 4, one sub on the bench. And yesterday one goalie had to leave mid-third period to go to work, so we ended up going half-ice for the last 10 minutes.

Old
09-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

Today I got my first 2 goals of the season and had a great game. Got cross-checked in the face a couple times and the guy got 4 minutes for it, but somehow I got 2 for roughing . either way, we won 7-6.

Closed Thread