HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

The Lockout Thread Part I

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-21-2012, 09:01 AM
  #451
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,349
vCash: 500
Withdrawal? Nah, so many other things to do. I like hockey and it will be great when it's back in action. At this point I am not missing it at all.

My only frustration is that we aren't seeing JMFJ develop in his new role with this team to see what we really have. I would like to see what the coaching staff does this year along with the new leadership group.

So yeah, I am frustrated but it's more from not seeing what the reshape did as opposed to missing hockey. I'm sure I'll feel it a bit more if December rolls around as we're still not playing. I've all but given up on the All-Star game. That will be a quick causality when NHL games start to disappear off the schedule. I figured we would be here, so getting tickets to the game was never a serious consideration. Didn't want to screw with the refund.

blahblah is offline  
Old
09-21-2012, 09:24 AM
  #452
Nordique
Registered User
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,023
vCash: 500
I'll be ok until November, baseball/ncaa and pro football are keeping my free time tied up. Once the World Series ends, I'll start to miss the NHL. Once the NCAA bowl games end, I'll be in full on withdrawl.

Too bad this isn't an Olympic year.

Nordique is offline  
Old
09-21-2012, 11:49 AM
  #453
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Does anyone have an interest in doing an informal "restaurant of the week" type of arrangement if regular-season games start getting scrubbed? Rather than avoiding the Arena District during the lockout, it would be a way to put some cash back into the local restaurants who will be hurting.
This sounds highly awesome to me.

Also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Withdrawal? Nah, so many other things to do. I like hockey and it will be great when it's back in action. At this point I am not missing it at all.

My only frustration is that we aren't seeing JMFJ develop in his new role with this team to see what we really have. I would like to see what the coaching staff does this year along with the new leadership group.

So yeah, I am frustrated but it's more from not seeing what the reshape did as opposed to missing hockey. I'm sure I'll feel it a bit more if December rolls around as we're still not playing.
This mirrors my feelings on the situation pretty well. I wanna see the experimental results, damnit!

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 10:51 AM
  #454
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby
 
Samkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Columbus
Country: Colombia
Posts: 13,420
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...to-report.html

Devellano is quite the idiot. Because we all know the NHL needs a collusion lawsuit in addition to a lockout.

__________________
Truth should never get in the way of a good persecution complex.
Samkow is offline  
Old
09-22-2012, 11:09 AM
  #455
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...to-report.html

Devellano is quite the idiot. Because we all know the NHL needs a collusion lawsuit in addition to a lockout.
I don't see the grounds for collusion like many are saying. When he talks about an "unwritten rule", I'm looking at it as the "sign a guy to a massively front-loaded offer sheet", not "tender an offer sheet at all".

There was a huge firestorm back in the 1990s because large-market teams were using the front-loading as a weapon against small-market teams. NY Rangers targeted Joe Sakic ($21 million over three years, with $17 million up front), Toronto with Mattias Ohlund (matched), Chicago with Keith Tkachuk (matched), and Philly with Chris Gratton (not matched; Tampa traded compensatory picks back to Philly for Renberg and Dykhuis).

That's why so many were quietly pleased with Carolina doing it to Sergei Fedorov, where there was a $26 million bonus due only if the team made the conference finals. Carolina wasn't going to do it, but obviously Detroit was. It's the first and last example of a true "poison pill" provision I can remember, but the joy of seeing a small-market team really stick it to a large-market one was fun.

I do remember Craig Simpson signing an offer sheet that was both front-loaded and ruled by the league to be a complete sham, and thus was invalidated.

Mayor Bee is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 09:06 AM
  #456
megashock5
Registered User
 
megashock5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Powell, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 969
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to megashock5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
I will be significantly angrier if, for some twist of fate or other reason, Vinny Prospal doesn't play another real life game in a CBJ uniform.
What would tick me off even more is if the entire season is lost and Mason is no longer under contract - and they re-sign him. Unlikely, I know, but somewhere I can just hear Howson uttering the words, "we still have faith that he can get it back." *shudder*

megashock5 is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 01:40 PM
  #457
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan
 
JACKETfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Venice
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by megashock5 View Post
What would tick me off even more is if the entire season is lost and Mason is no longer under contract - and they re-sign him. Unlikely, I know, but somewhere I can just hear Howson uttering the words, "we still have faith that he can get it back." *shudder*

THREAD ALERT:

Since this year is already DOOMED, we're moving on to DOOMING NEXT year.

Suggested topics:

Trade ________!
Fire _______!
Why the hell did we re-sign Mason?


JACKETfan is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 07:13 PM
  #458
Inquiring Minds
Registered User
 
Inquiring Minds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Grandview, Ohio
Posts: 1,163
vCash: 500
I think the thing that pi**es me off more than anything is the feeling of being completely impotent in this situation. The players are holding their line, and are probably the greatest athletes in any sport for making themselves available to the regular fan. But they can go play in Europe/Russia and still make good coin.

As has been observed, the owners aren't terribly concerned because the die-hard fans have shown that they will return with no hard feelings whenever the millionaires and the billionaires get around to agreeing on how to divide up our money.

Not that I am bitter or anything, but I was racking my brain last week, trying to figure out a way to send them a message. So here is my idea.

For each cancelled game, I am going to send CBJ an email, telling them exactly what I did that night, instead of coming to NWA and cheering my team. I'll also drop exactly how much that activity cost me, and how much of my money they would have gotten if I had gone to the game. I may also say how much fun I had, and other benefits I am deriving away from the rink (building relationships, starting a new hobby, meeting new friends, recovering from addiction to $9 beer, enjoying steak dinners for the price I would have paid for hotdogs, etc.)

The purpose? Maybe no one will notice, but if enough people do it, they will get the idea that they can't take fans for granted.

Especially fans that have suffered through 10 years of the absolute worst hockey in the league.

And we may find a better return for our entertainment dollars.

Inquiring Minds is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 07:55 PM
  #459
Sore Loser
Since 2009
 
Sore Loser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 5,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiring Minds View Post
I think the thing that pi**es me off more than anything is the feeling of being completely impotent in this situation. The players are holding their line, and are probably the greatest athletes in any sport for making themselves available to the regular fan. But they can go play in Europe/Russia and still make good coin.

As has been observed, the owners aren't terribly concerned because the die-hard fans have shown that they will return with no hard feelings whenever the millionaires and the billionaires get around to agreeing on how to divide up our money.

Not that I am bitter or anything, but I was racking my brain last week, trying to figure out a way to send them a message. So here is my idea.

For each cancelled game, I am going to send CBJ an email, telling them exactly what I did that night, instead of coming to NWA and cheering my team. I'll also drop exactly how much that activity cost me, and how much of my money they would have gotten if I had gone to the game. I may also say how much fun I had, and other benefits I am deriving away from the rink (building relationships, starting a new hobby, meeting new friends, recovering from addiction to $9 beer, enjoying steak dinners for the price I would have paid for hotdogs, etc.)

The purpose? Maybe no one will notice, but if enough people do it, they will get the idea that they can't take fans for granted.

Especially fans that have suffered through 10 years of the absolute worst hockey in the league.

And we may find a better return for our entertainment dollars.
Ah yes, the Shawshank Redemption method of contacting them until you get the response you want. What, per se, is the response that you're looking for? The problem is, they know exactly what is at stake, and exactly who they are alienating. Did it effect the league last time around? No ... the league brought in more money this year than it ever had, as did the teams, and the average player salary went up.

So, who then do we have to blame other than ourselves? This is why I think the best method of dealing with the situation is to sit quietly and deal with it. Then, when the league starts up - be it 20 games late, a whole season missed, etc .... those of us die hard fans who dealt with the last lockout and came back to support them give them the silent treatment for exactly twice as long. If it's 20 games, don't go to 20 more. If it's 82 games, cancel your package for next year and don't buy any merchandise. Hitting them in the wallet is where it's going to hurt. Otherwise, we're all just complainers who want our hockey back, and they know we'll be back in the end.

Trust me, you won't get the answer you're looking for. They simply don't care about our interests.

Sore Loser is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 08:29 PM
  #460
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Ah yes, the Shawshank Redemption method of contacting them until you get the response you want. What, per se, is the response that you're looking for? The problem is, they know exactly what is at stake, and exactly who they are alienating. Did it effect the league last time around? No ... the league brought in more money this year than it ever had, as did the teams, and the average player salary went up.

So, who then do we have to blame other than ourselves? This is why I think the best method of dealing with the situation is to sit quietly and deal with it. Then, when the league starts up - be it 20 games late, a whole season missed, etc .... those of us die hard fans who dealt with the last lockout and came back to support them give them the silent treatment for exactly twice as long. If it's 20 games, don't go to 20 more. If it's 82 games, cancel your package for next year and don't buy any merchandise. Hitting them in the wallet is where it's going to hurt. Otherwise, we're all just complainers who want our hockey back, and they know we'll be back in the end.

Trust me, you won't get the answer you're looking for. They simply don't care about our interests.
I agree 100%. Until they see a massive drop in attendance and TV dollars (which will only happen when we don't watch) the owners will not be the least bit concerned.

EspenK is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 10:54 PM
  #461
GhostofBoomer
Registered User
 
GhostofBoomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 301
vCash: 500
You would think with the colossal mess that is the NFL right now, the NHL would be rushing to get their act together and capitalize.

GhostofBoomer is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 09:24 AM
  #462
Ludicrous Speed
Registered User
 
Ludicrous Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Killumbus
Country: Micronesia
Posts: 10,965
vCash: 500
The thing that pisses me off the most is that puckrakers now costs money for "premium access" after 10 free viewings per month. It's a blog for ****s sake.

Ludicrous Speed is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 10:15 AM
  #463
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
The thing that pisses me off the most is that puckrakers now costs money for "premium access" after 10 free viewings per month. It's a blog for ****s sake.
How will you get by without reading Kevin Dineen's name every day?

Just use incognito mode of chrome, or whatever the equivalent mode is in Firefox. No cookies, no limit.

I guess the Dispatch assumes that their readers are as stupid as their writers.

Skraut is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 10:44 AM
  #464
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat
 
Nanabijou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,514
vCash: 500
Pretty dead around here. I really think there is more apathy this time around compared to 2004. While I have no doubt that fans will eventually come back, the NHL and the players are really shooting themselves in the foot after all the progress over the last few years. Fan apathy is much worse than fan anger.

While it is bad form to quote oneself, my quote below was in this thread 2 weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Putting that aside, what is at stake here for Franklin County now that they own Nationwide? They lose alot of dates on the calendar. How much are the taxpayers on the hook for, or was there some sort of provision in the contract that covered this possibility?

Seems like this would be a good article for the Dispatch, unless the answer has already been well-documented. Nothing like the thought of taxpayers being gouged to crank up some heat on McConnell and the players.
I'd like to point out the Dispatch did address my question here, so I will give them props for tackling the question:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...he-impact.html

The bottom line of the article is that taxpayers are not on the hook for additional money due to the lockout. I don't really understand how that is possible as I would presume that the operating costs of keeping Nationwide Arena going outweigh the revenue when there are fewer dates booked at the arena. The way the article is worded, it still suggests that they are banking on money from the casino to cover these costs:

Quote:
[Riggs] said the money to purchase and operate the arena comes from two sources: a portion of the tax revenue Columbus and Franklin County receive from the state’s four new casinos, and the non-hockey events Riggs helps book at the arena.

Nanabijou is online now  
Old
09-25-2012, 11:08 AM
  #465
Crede777
Deputized
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
The bottom line of the article is that taxpayers are not on the hook for additional money due to the lockout. I don't really understand how that is possible as I would presume that the operating costs of keeping Nationwide Arena going outweigh the revenue when there are fewer dates booked at the arena. The way the article is worded, it still suggests that they are banking on money from the casino to cover these costs:
At least they're trying to be smart about it.

Crede777 is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 01:40 PM
  #466
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
The thing that pisses me off the most is that puckrakers now costs money for "premium access" after 10 free viewings per month. It's a blog for ****s sake.
Um. What?

Please tell me this is some kind of joke. I've never seen anything of the sort.

Viqsi is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 04:08 PM
  #467
plong123
Litebrite Stinger
 
plong123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Stretchrunston
Country: United States
Posts: 1,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Pretty dead around here. I really think there is more apathy this time around compared to 2004.
You couldn't be more right. After last season's epic failure of a team, and the owner's lack of remedying the problem by retaining upper management, I for one am totally fine with no hockey. It will allow me to ignore it without it actually taking place.

Seriously, I have been at my lowest point as a hockey fan for so long that this is a breath of fresh air. I mean, we can't give up a goal in the first 75 seconds of a game we don't play, right?

plong123 is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 09:16 AM
  #468
Bobcat110
Registered User
 
Bobcat110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Central Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 3,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
The thing that pisses me off the most is that puckrakers now costs money for "premium access" after 10 free viewings per month. It's a blog for ****s sake.


I'm seeing this too... $20 a month to read Dispatch coverage on Blue Jackets ...anyone actually doing this?

Bobcat110 is online now  
Old
09-26-2012, 12:37 PM
  #469
pickledcotton
Registered User
 
pickledcotton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Pataskala, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 361
vCash: 500
Hell no, and it's pissing me off.

pickledcotton is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 03:45 PM
  #470
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan
 
JACKETfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Venice
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
The thing that pisses me off the most is that puckrakers now costs money for "premium access" after 10 free viewings per month. It's a blog for ****s sake.
That's about all they post anyway.

This league needs a fan walkout.

JACKETfan is offline  
Old
09-26-2012, 04:19 PM
  #471
Iron Balls McGinty
Registered User
 
Iron Balls McGinty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sec. 203/Worthington
Country: United States
Posts: 1,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
The thing that pisses me off the most is that puckrakers now costs money for "premium access" after 10 free viewings per month. It's a blog for ****s sake.
The internet people at the Dispatch are not rocket scientists. If you go into your browser and delete your cookies for the dispatch, you can read another 10 "premium" articles.

Rinse and repeat and you'll never need to pay.

Iron Balls McGinty is online now  
Old
09-27-2012, 07:17 AM
  #472
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM
 
Columbus Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 707
vCash: 272
Got an email last night about my new ticket rep. Apparently the last one, who had been there three years (a record?) left for greener pastures. Too bad, she did a great job. No doubt a casualty of the lockout.

Columbus Mike is offline  
Old
09-27-2012, 08:11 AM
  #473
plong123
Litebrite Stinger
 
plong123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Stretchrunston
Country: United States
Posts: 1,755
vCash: 500
Wow, you had the same ticket rep for three years? That MUST be a record! I think the longest I've had one in 7 years is about 15 months.

plong123 is offline  
Old
09-27-2012, 03:21 PM
  #474
jag72
Registered User
 
jag72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus Mike View Post
Got an email last night about my new ticket rep. Apparently the last one, who had been there three years (a record?) left for greener pastures. Too bad, she did a great job. No doubt a casualty of the lockout.
We must of had the same ticket rep. I will agree that she did a great job and the new rep has some pretty big shoes to fill.

jag72 is offline  
Old
09-27-2012, 07:48 PM
  #475
Sore Loser
Since 2009
 
Sore Loser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 5,907
vCash: 500
Strange ... is the ticket rep job that demanding, or is there some reason they don't last (moving up?)?

Sore Loser is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.