HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilerrrr I Mean Barons '12-13 Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2012, 12:52 AM
tiger_80

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I completely agree with you. Until Gagner is no longer on this team and we have no better option than to switch our best LWer to C, the rumblings should mean absolutely. Honestly if we move Hall to center we have nothing on the left side. You can either get accustomed to seeing MPS and Hartikainen playing in those spots or seeing good ol' Edmonton boy Ryan Smyth movin back up.

To me it makes zero sense to move Hall to center at this point.
Gagner will do for now. Once they take care of defence, lest Gagner breaks out this year, they should trade for a bigger, more defensively capable veteran centerman to slot behind RNH (Fisher, Legwand, Plekanec, Jokinen, Vermette, Bolland, Laich etc). Some of these guys might not be available, while others will cost a good prospect+ pick, but it should be done, IMHO.

Old
09-22-2012, 12:40 PM
rockinghockey

It is going to be interesting to keep tabs on OKC this year.

Old
09-22-2012, 01:38 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

C is a more important position than LW, if Hall can play there and do it well then you move him there and play Paajarvi and Harski on the left side unless you have better options eventually. The reality is that we can't have 6 all star forwards in our top 6 anyway so as long as the other two can provide a net presence, some puck retrieval, and a bit of offense without killing us defensively, that'll do for now.

09-23-2012, 02:38 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Some ideas of the competition that the Barons will be facing quite regularly:

Quote:
The Minnesota Wild announced a number of roster moves Friday, including the re-signings of restricted free agents center David McIntyre, right wing Carson McMillan and right wing Jarod Palmer. The trio is among 25 players who have been assigned to the Houston Aeros, the club’s American Hockey league affiliate.

The other players assigned to Houston are: D Drew Bagnall, C Joel Broda, D Jonas Brodin, RW Brett Bulmer, D Josh Caron, D Brian Connelly, RW Charlie Coyle, D Tyler Cuma, RW Justin Fontaine, LW Kris Foucault, D Chay Genoway, C Mikael Granlund, G Matt Hackett, D Colton Jobke, D Steven Kampfer, G Darcy Kuemper, LW Johan Larsson, D Kyle Medvec, C Zack Philips, C Chad Rau, D Marco Scandella and LW Jason Zucker.
Quote:
Charlotte: Jeff Skinner, Justin Faulk, Jeremy Walsh and Completing the list of Saturday’s assignments are forwards Nicolas Blanchard, Zach Boychuk, Zac Dalpe, A.J. Jenks, Riley Nash, Victor Rask, Jerome Samson, Justin Shugg, Jared Staal, Brett Sutter, Brody Sutter, Chris Terry and Tim Wallace; defensemen Brett Bellemore, Marc-Andre Gragnani, Michal Jordan, Tommi Kivisto, Justin Krueger, Austin Levi, Rasmus Rissanen, Bobby Sanguinetti, Beau Schmitz and Joe Sova; and goaltenders Justin Peters and John Muse.
Quote:
SUNRISE, FL – Florida Panthers Executive Vice President & General Manager Dale Tallon announced today that the following players have cleared waivers and have been assigned to San Antonio (AHL):

17 players assigned (9/12/2012):

D Jason DeSantis
G Brian Foster
F Jonathan Hazen
G Michael Houser
F Quinton Howden
G Jacob Markstrom
F Mattias Lindstrom
F Anthony Luciani
D Josh McFadden
F John McFarland
D Alex Petrovic
F Jon Rheault
D Colby Robak
F Eric Selleck
F Drew Shore
F Scott Timmins
F Garrett Wilson

8 players assigned (9/13/2012):

D Michael Caruso
F Andre Deveaux
G Dov Grumet-Morris
F Jean Francois Jacques
F Greg Rallo
F Casey Wellman
F James Wright
D Nolan Yonkman

Old
09-23-2012, 02:43 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

I haven't seen a list of the Texas Stars lineup yet. Houston and Charlotte look to be stacked though.

Old
09-23-2012, 03:16 AM
Tangerine
Tier II Fan

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I haven't seen a list of the Texas Stars lineup yet. Houston and Charlotte look to be stacked though.
I got this list from the AHL website.
Quote:
The following players have been assigned to Texas (AHL):

Jordie Benn
Tyler Beskorowany
Jack Campbell
Alex Chiasson
Jace Coyle
Brenden Dillon
Cody Eakin
Maxime Fortunus
Matt Fraser
Luke Gazdic
Scott Glennie
Tristan King
Hubert Labrie
Travis Morin
Cristopher Nilstorp
Patrik Nemeth
Jamie Oleksiak
Toby Petersen
Antoine Roussell
Colton Sceviour
Tyler Sloan
Austin Smith
Reilly Smith
Mathieu Tousignant
Tomas Vincour
Francis Wathier
I'm a big follower of the Stars as well, so I'm quite aware of who the key additions are. Alex Chiasson is a very highly touted kid out of the NCAA and is expected to be an immediate threat in the A, somewhat like Justin Schultz. Vincour has already played in the NHL with some success, and Oil Kings fans of more than a couple years will also be aware of him. Brenden Dillon is a young, highly touted defenseman. Then there's Oleksiak, who is ****ing gigantic. Eakin and Glennie will be great top six centres. Jack Campbell is a great young goalie, although this is his first pro season so it's anyone's guess to see how quickly he adapts.

All in all, it's a really young core. However, seeing as Dallas has had the misfortune of being in that dreadful spot just outside of the playoffs and not yet in the top 10 in draft position for the last three years, they haven't had the pleasure of drafting really high, so there aren't that many guys who are projected to be top line players. Still, a solid bunch that will at the very least provide a stronger challenge to the Barons than last year's team's did (which sucked ass).

Old
09-23-2012, 12:09 PM
40oz

Quote:
Some ideas of the competition that the Barons will be facing quite regularly:
Holy hell Houston! That's a lot of really good players

Old
09-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Indeed, maybe it will help build a rivalry between prospects that carries over when they make the big clubs

Old
09-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
I got this list from the AHL website.

I'm a big follower of the Stars as well, so I'm quite aware of who the key additions are. Alex Chiasson is a very highly touted kid out of the NCAA and is expected to be an immediate threat in the A, somewhat like Justin Schultz. Vincour has already played in the NHL with some success, and Oil Kings fans of more than a couple years will also be aware of him. Brenden Dillon is a young, highly touted defenseman. Then there's Oleksiak, who is ****ing gigantic. Eakin and Glennie will be great top six centres. Jack Campbell is a great young goalie, although this is his first pro season so it's anyone's guess to see how quickly he adapts.

All in all, it's a really young core. However, seeing as Dallas has had the misfortune of being in that dreadful spot just outside of the playoffs and not yet in the top 10 in draft position for the last three years, they haven't had the pleasure of drafting really high, so there aren't that many guys who are projected to be top line players. Still, a solid bunch that will at the very least provide a stronger challenge to the Barons than last year's team's did (which sucked ass).
Thanks a lot for that, that said even based on what you've said considering what the Barons have added and retained I still see the Barons coming out on top most nights.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Indeed, maybe it will help build a rivalry between prospects that carries over when they make the big clubs
It'll be interesting to see how many of these guys are legit prospects and how many are suspects. On paper their team looks jacked though, no doubt about it. If guys like Granlund and Coyle are legit, that will be a very strong team.

Old
09-23-2012, 04:09 PM
40oz

Quote:

It'll be interesting to see how many of these guys are legit prospects and how many are suspects. On paper their team looks jacked though, no doubt about it. If guys like Granlund and Coyle are legit, that will be a very strong team.
Thats true, the one thing the Oilers have on these Wild prosepcts is experience. Bulmer and Zucker have had a cup of coffee in the NHL. But Coyle, Phillips, Granlund, and Brodin havent played any NHL games. The Wild have some serious depth, it's really impressive.

Old
09-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Thats true, the one thing the Oilers have on these Wild prosepcts is experience. Bulmer and Zucker have had a cup of coffee in the NHL. But Coyle, Phillips, Granlund, and Brodin havent played any NHL games. The Wild have some serious depth, it's really impressive.
Bingo, I'm not sure how many of them will match up with guys like Paajarvi and Hartikainen or even Green at the moment let alone RNH and Eberle. Nothing against them, but they will be new to the NA pro game. It'll be interesting to see if Granlund lives up to his hype, I remember a thread where it was said that he was better than RNH, I guess we'll be finding out soon enough.

Old
09-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Bingo, I'm not sure how many of them will match up with guys like Paajarvi and Hartikainen or even Green at the moment let alone RNH and Eberle. Nothing against them, but they will be new to the NA pro game. It'll be interesting to see if Granlund lives up to his hype, I remember a thread where it was said that he was better than RNH, I guess we'll be finding out soon enough.
I have to agree, but either way this will be an interesting AHL season as long as the lockout lasts. Between the WHL and AHL I am more than happy watching these two leagues should the nHL lockout last the entire season.

Old
09-24-2012, 02:26 PM
bewbies

One thing to remember about the AHL is that there is still usually a pretty wide gap between new pro players and veterans, even when you're talking about top prospects. In example, most of the Barons best players since they started (Giroux, McDonald, Moran, Keller, Green) were older vets. Younger guys, even talented ones (Harski, Plante, Teubert, Pitlick, etc) take quite a while to really get up to speed, and even then they are usually not as good. It is similar for most AHL teams: the best players are almost always in the 25-30 age range.

I should add that Norfolk last year was a bit of an exception (their best players were mostly 21-22) but even in that case only one was considered a real high-ceiling prospect. They just got amazing production from a handful of super-talented but undersized guys.

In any case that's why guys like Eberle and RNH are so exciting...they've already experienced an even higher level and excelled at it. They're practically veterans already despite their youth.

Old
09-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewbies View Post
One thing to remember about the AHL is that there is still usually a pretty wide gap between new pro players and veterans, even when you're talking about top prospects. In example, most of the Barons best players since they started (Giroux, McDonald, Moran, Keller, Green) were older vets. Younger guys, even talented ones (Harski, Plante, Teubert, Pitlick, etc) take quite a while to really get up to speed, and even then they are usually not as good. It is similar for most AHL teams: the best players are almost always in the 25-30 age range.

I should add that Norfolk last year was a bit of an exception (their best players were mostly 21-22) but even in that case only one was considered a real high-ceiling prospect. They just got amazing production from a handful of super-talented but undersized guys.

In any case that's why guys like Eberle and RNH are so exciting...they've already experienced an even higher level and excelled at it. They're practically veterans already despite their youth.
It's because of OKC and AHL fans like yourself that I'm happy for a lockout. It's shaping up to look like an interesting season for you guys. You deserve the treat that you will get this year for being such loyal fans of the game.

Old
09-24-2012, 08:58 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Gagner will do for now. Once they take care of defence, lest Gagner breaks out this year, they should trade for a bigger, more defensively capable veteran centerman to slot behind RNH (Fisher, Legwand, Plekanec, Jokinen, Vermette, Bolland, Laich etc). Some of these guys might not be available, while others will cost a good prospect+ pick, but it should be done, IMHO.
Not interested in having Vermette, Bolland, Laich, Legwand, or Jokinen as the 2C.

Old
09-24-2012, 09:20 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Not interested in having Vermette, Bolland, Laich, Legwand, or Jokinen as the 2C.
Brooks Laich would make an amazing 2nd line center on this team, he's everything the Oilers could need

Old
09-24-2012, 09:52 PM
tv14

vCash: 50
Why I gave up on the oilers!1

hacked

Last edited by tv14: 09-24-2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: hacked
Old
09-24-2012, 10:06 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

here is a question

can Hall be set down when healthy? Some people are saying that all players from rosters needed to be sent down by the 14th

Old
09-24-2012, 10:09 PM
thalegion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
here is a question

can Hall be set down when healthy? Some people are saying that all players from rosters needed to be sent down by the 14th
He can't be assigned he can be signed to AHL deal

Old
09-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
here is a question

He's going down if he's healthy and the lockout is still on. He's said so I believe.

Old
09-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Baronsfan

Without taking developments needs into consideration, this is what imo it would resemble.

Harski/Paajarvi-RNH-Eberle
Harski/Paajarvi-Green-Pitlick
Byers-Lander-Arcobello
Cornet-Vande Velde-Tyrvainen

Nelson already says that Pitlick will play in a top 6 role, and said likely with Josh Green, so that cements that Green likely won't be seeing the pressbox many nights like some of you hoped to make room for the younger guys.

This is without me making it a priority to put Hamilton in there. I realize tons of Oil fans want to see him in there, but there just isn't much of a spot for him. After seeing Hamilton play last season I'm not sure if he had to spend time in Stockton that he would tear that league open. Maybe he should start out there just to get his confidence and try to be a ppg player for the first 15-20 games of the season. Would you Oil fans be that against Hamilton starting in Stockton? He is still a healthy ways off seeing time in EDM. (Going off last season, we'll see how he shows in camp and if he had a good summer).

Sure you could slot him in on either side of Vande Velde, but lets not forget that Cornet, albeit a lesser prospect, is fresh off a 24 goal campaign last season. I'm a huge fan of Antti Tyrvainen and feel the sandpaper he provides would be useful for this group. It will be an interesting camp for sure. Lots of players fighting for just a few spots.

Old
09-25-2012, 05:38 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronsfan View Post
Without taking developments needs into consideration, this is what imo it would resemble.

Byers-Lander-Arcobello

Nelson already says that Pitlick will play in a top 6 role, and said likely with Josh Green, so that cements that Green likely won't be seeing the pressbox many nights like some of you hoped to make room for the younger guys.

This is without me making it a priority to put Hamilton in there. I realize tons of Oil fans want to see him in there, but there just isn't much of a spot for him. After seeing Hamilton play last season I'm not sure if he had to spend time in Stockton that he would tear that league open. Maybe he should start out there just to get his confidence and try to be a ppg player for the first 15-20 games of the season. Would you Oil fans be that against Hamilton starting in Stockton? He is still a healthy ways off seeing time in EDM. (Going off last season, we'll see how he shows in camp and if he had a good summer).

Sure you could slot him in on either side of Vande Velde, but lets not forget that Cornet, albeit a lesser prospect, is fresh off a 24 goal campaign last season. I'm a huge fan of Antti Tyrvainen and feel the sandpaper he provides would be useful for this group. It will be an interesting camp for sure. Lots of players fighting for just a few spots.
Can Cornet play with VV? Isn't VV generally out there to shutdown?

Old
09-25-2012, 09:14 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronsfan View Post

Byers-Lander-Arcobello

How about we look at it in a developmental light:

Paajarvi-RNH-Eberle
Hartikainen-Lander-Pitlick (could be our future 3rd line)
Byers-Green-Arcobello (AHL line)
Cornet/Hamilton-Vande Velde-Tyrvainen

This way IMO the younger legit NHL prospects get time together to get used to each other. IMO Lander has more offensive ability than he showed last season and playing with Harski and Pitlick that would be one tough to play against line.

Old
09-25-2012, 10:18 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
How about we look at it in a developmental light:

Paajarvi-RNH-Eberle
Hartikainen-Lander-Pitlick (could be our future 3rd line)
Byers-Green-Arcobello (AHL line)
Cornet/Hamilton-Vande Velde-Tyrvainen

This way IMO the younger legit NHL prospects get time together to get used to each other. IMO Lander has more offensive ability than he showed last season and playing with Harski and Pitlick that would be one tough to play against line.
Green is a better AHL player than Lander at this point. He will see a lot of ice-time, which is probably good for the development of guys like Hartikainen and Pitlick.

Old
09-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I want the prospects to earn their ice time, not have it fed to them.

Closed Thread