HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the LIIgue

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2012, 09:00 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
As hilarious as it would be, there is no chance in hell that the Oilers relocate.
It would be kind of like a modern day Quebec.... and when I say kinda I mean a Canadian team moving right before they become great.

Maybe that would also be karma for Edmonton fans consistently talking about Cup wins 20 years ago like they matter as much as recent cups.

Old
09-24-2012, 10:13 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Except that unlike Quebec the Oilers are turning in a healthy profit and selling out despite the team being full of suck since their last Cup run.

Katz doesn't want to pony up for a new arena, that's pretty much the bottom line of it. It's business, but it did twist my stomach a bit that Gretzky followed him there. What the ****?

Old
09-24-2012, 10:34 PM
west in the east

If Betman let's the oilers move after the yotes fiasco he should never be allowed in Canada again.

Old
09-24-2012, 10:39 PM
roach9

How funny would it be to the see the Oilers leave town right before their supposed "dynasty".

Would be hilarious.

Old
09-24-2012, 10:43 PM
Mason10
Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
How funny would it be to the see the Oilers leave town right before their supposed "dynasty".

Would be hilarious.
I just laughed harder than I should've just imagining that.

Old
09-24-2012, 11:12 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I would be royally pissed if Edmonton moved. Why would I support the NHL when I'm paying out the ass to watch a Canucks game, so that Bettman can take money out of my owners pockets to prop up a sad sack loser Phoenix team, meanwhile allowing a profitable team in Edmonton to relocate? It's absolutely idiotic!

09-24-2012, 11:14 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post

Would be hilarious.
As irritating as Oilers fans are, I wouldn't see a relocation as a good thing. They've been going on endlessly about their top picks etc., so it would be funny in a way to see them get robbed of the rewards of their rebuild after they paid top dollar to watch a bottom feeder team. I've thought for a while that the Flames should have rebuilt a while ago and jettisoned their star players like Iginla and Kipper, so it would be hypocritical of me to criticize the Oilers for rebuilding.

If their lottery picks develop into stars, Seattle fans would be just as spoiled as Avalanche fans, and get an instant sense of entitlement. They would become even more irritating than Oilers fans because they probably won't even acknowledge their team's roots. Now that Colorado is in a rebuild, they are one of the bottom drawing markets in the league. Seattle would be better off getting an expansion team and build the team themselves.

Old
09-25-2012, 12:20 AM
B-rock

There's no way in hell the Oilers are moving anywhere. This is typical Kevin Lowe/Darryl Katz playing their game of poker with the city of Edmonton. It's transparent.

Old
09-25-2012, 05:16 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
There's no way in hell the Oilers are moving anywhere. This is typical Kevin Lowe/Darryl Katz playing their game of poker with the city of Edmonton. It's transparent.
It's so transparent I'd be concerned. no bluff, bluff, double bluff? triple bluff?

If it's a bluff it's not aimed at the city, it's aimed at the fans. The city would see through it, but if Katz gets enough dumb fans panicked then the fans put pressure on the city - dumb voters votes count just as much.

Old
09-25-2012, 05:40 AM
Wisp

Oilers fans are being exploited and they're just going to lie down and take it.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:07 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
It's so transparent I'd be concerned. no bluff, bluff, double bluff? triple bluff?

If it's a bluff it's not aimed at the city, it's aimed at the fans. The city would see through it, but if Katz gets enough dumb fans panicked then the fans put pressure on the city - dumb voters votes count just as much.
Oilers to Seattle, Coyotes to Edmonton... is my vote. I assume that Katz would make a nice profit - between the selling price of the Oilers, and the purchase price of the Coyotes? Without looking into the details (or thinking much about it), at first glance I'd think that the Oilers are a much more valuable franchise (a new owner would pay much more for the Oilers than the Coyotes)... Edmonton remains with a team, and the Oiler fans get screwed by watching all of their young stars leave... Win-win, from my vantage point... All those years of losing, for what? To put a nice profit in Katz's pocket, that's what...

Old
09-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Zombotron
WD-57

Quote:
Originally Posted by I in the Eye View Post
Oilers to Seattle, Coyotes to Edmonton... is my vote. I assume that Katz would make a nice profit - between the selling price of the Oilers, and the purchase price of the Coyotes? Without looking into the details (or thinking much about it), at first glance I'd think that the Oilers are a much more valuable franchise (a new owner would pay much more for the Oilers than the Coyotes)... Edmonton remains with a team, and the Oiler fans get screwed by watching all of their young stars leave... Win-win, from my vantage point... All those years of losing, for what? To put a nice profit in Katz's pocket, that's what...
I can't find any humor in a situation where a rival, or any Canadian team, is re-located, but this, I can laugh at.

Old
09-25-2012, 04:38 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombotron View Post
I can't find any humor in a situation where a rival, or any Canadian team, is re-located, but this, I can laugh at.
Well the upside is we'd have better travel (a bus ride) to Seattle, more fans could attend the games, etc.

And we watch three straight first overall picks grow in a city they weren't picked in.

Old
09-25-2012, 05:27 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
It would finally settle the Oiler fan's ultimate question, "who's better" RNH or Landeskog?

Old
09-26-2012, 03:28 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Oh wow.

Old
09-26-2012, 03:34 AM
Reverend Mayhem

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
I think very highly of you on this board and I respect you. I think your idea from a business standpoint is great for Katz. That said, give me some of what you are smoking. I think Katz will get it done for the Oilers. Too much promise for the Oilers squad to simply sell them to Seattle and buy Phoenix who is on the down-swing. Pocklington would look like Jesus in the minds of Edmontonites compared to Katz.

Again, it makes a lot of sense from a raw business standpoint but Katz would have a hell of a lot of explaining to do and find a new arena to be built.

Old
09-26-2012, 12:53 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I think very highly of you on this board and I respect you. I think your idea from a business standpoint is great for Katz. That said, give me some of what you are smoking. I think Katz will get it done for the Oilers. Too much promise for the Oilers squad to simply sell them to Seattle and buy Phoenix who is on the down-swing. Pocklington would look like Jesus in the minds of Edmontonites compared to Katz.

Again, it makes a lot of sense from a raw business standpoint but Katz would have a hell of a lot of explaining to do and find a new arena to be built.
Ha, ya, thanks... It was a joke more than anything... Would the league even allow that? It would seem pretty "Mickey Mouse" for a professional league...

It's my vote for being a great outcome (I dislike the Oilers, but would hate to see Edmonton without a team)... If I'm Katz, it is also perhaps my response to a city that seems entitled / brushing his Seattle tour off as simply a pressure tactic... Outlining this type of scenario (through an anonymous media source) would hit home "it's my team, I'm the owner, and I can do what I want with it - I should be allowed to make a lot of money off of it... The city will have the team that I allow the city to have"... Think there would be more fan pressure on the city to cave if an Edmonton reporter wrote an article on this? I think there might be...

If for some reason this unlikely scenario did happen, I imagine that the Edmonton hockey fans would, ultimately, consider it the lesser of two evils though - once the initial shock wears off - compared to having no NHL team at all...

Old
09-26-2012, 01:56 PM
dave babych returns

It's totally unrealistic that the Oilers and the City of Edmonton don't work out a deal, let alone that they relocate to a markedly worse hockey market (where they don't own the building), let alone that they do so in coordination with another franchise taking their place.

(Yes I realize it was a joke.)

Old
09-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Reverend Mayhem

Quote:
Ha, ya, thanks... It was a joke more than anything... Would the league even allow that? It would seem pretty "Mickey Mouse" for a professional league...
Yeah, it would. But I would laugh my arse off at the luck Edmonton fans would have in that situation. Having all those good young prospects and suddenly Coyotes? Damn that would suck. At least they'd have a team though. I think it would be criminal to move out of Edmonton and leave them with nothing when they have been some of the most loyal fans in the league in the past few years. Plus, I believe no team that has won a Cup should ever move that to me is bush league.

Old
09-26-2012, 02:09 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
when they have been some of the most loyal fans in the league in the past few years.

Easy to be a fan if your team of won a number of Cups in "somewhat" recent history. Try talking being a "fan" after 20+ years of crap hockey while having no such "Cup winning history" prior to that.

It's been only a few years for "crapdome" for Oilerfans - Leaffans are *THE* most loyal (having done nothing for a far longer period of time - and their only Cups were essentially in a *three team* league).

Last edited by Barney Gumble: 09-26-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old
09-26-2012, 02:30 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Anyone know why Yakupov is barred from playing while Jensen is allowed to?

Old
09-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Anyone know why Yakupov is barred from playing while Jensen is allowed to?
Probably because Jensen will be playing the Full year in the SEL while I'd imagine Yakupov would want to come back for the Oilers Camp if/when the Lock Out ends.

Old
09-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Reverend Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post

Easy to be a fan if your team of won a number of Cups in "somewhat" recent history. Try talking being a "fan" after 20+ years of crap hockey while having no such "Cup winning history" prior to that.

It's been only a few years for "crapdome" for Oilerfans - Leaffans are *THE* most loyal (having done nothing for a far longer period of time - and their only Cups were essentially in a *three team* league).
Why did you tell me what I already know?

You might have misread that. I said some of the most loyal. Some of the most loyal <> Most loyal.

Old
09-26-2012, 03:11 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
It's totally unrealistic that the Oilers and the City of Edmonton don't work out a deal, let alone that they relocate to a markedly worse hockey market (where they don't own the building), let alone that they do so in coordination with another franchise taking their place.

(Yes I realize it was a joke.)
Once things start going into "head games" territory, they tend to take on a life of their own... Katz's decision was probably a "head game" (from what I can tell, although I haven't been following it closely)... All it will take is for the city to respond with a "head game", and game on... Who knows what tangents follow... After all, wouldn't be the first time in professional sports a franchise in a good market gets moved... There's potentially a huge amount of money to be made, and Katz seems to be interested in making a lot of money (why the fight with the city)... Maybe the plan all along was to move the team to Seattle? Thus, high (unrealistic?) demands from the city... Having the team built in such a way that it is real attractive to sell - if a good opportunity for relocation came up...

Doesn't have to follow in the same year either... Oilers could be sold to Seattle... Year or two later, Coyotes (or another franchise) sold to Edmonton... Wonder if the city would be more inclined to cave to Katz's demands (and even more) after a year or two of no NHL hockey? Profit from the sale of the Oilers / Coyotes exchange + real nice arena deal that would otherwise be difficult to achieve without real pressure...

I'm not really justifying this... I'm more writing this for the benefit of any Oiler fan who may be passing by... To do my small part to build fear, and uncertainty... It's a bait, I admit it... It's written to try and build a small amount of doubt... I'm not seriously believing what I'm writing above...

Oiler fans have nothing to worry about (famous. last. words.)

Old
09-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Once things start going into "head games" territory, they tend to take on a life of their own... Katz's decision was probably a "head game" (from what I can tell, although I haven't been following it closely)... All it will take is for the city to respond with a "head game", and game on... Who knows what tangents follow... After all, wouldn't be the first time in professional sports a franchise in a good market gets moved... There's potentially a huge amount of money to be made, and Katz seems to be interested in making a lot of money (why the fight with the city)... Maybe the plan all along was to move the team to Seattle? Thus, high (unrealistic?) demands from the city... Having the team built in such a way that it is real attractive to sell - if a good opportunity for relocation came up...

Doesn't have to follow in the same year either... Oilers could be sold to Seattle... Year or two later, Coyotes (or another franchise) sold to Edmonton... Wonder if the city would be more inclined to cave to Katz's demands (and even more) after a year or two of no NHL hockey? Profit from the sale of the Oilers / Coyotes exchange + real nice arena deal that would otherwise be difficult to achieve without real pressure...

I'm not really justifying this... I'm more writing this for the benefit of any Oiler fan who may be passing by... To do my small part to build fear, and uncertainty... It's a bait, I admit it... It's written to try and build a small amount of doubt... I'm not seriously believing what I'm writing above...

Oiler fans have nothing to worry about (famous. last. words.)
What better way to build up fan base like Seattle then give them a team with up & coming stars? The draft lottery was rigged... but not to make the EDMONTON Oilers a better team... the Seattle Oilers on the other hand

Besides Bettman knows Edmonton has a loyal fan base, if they relocate the Oilers then give them the Coyotes in a year or 2 they will sell out & everyone is a winner.

Closed Thread