HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

AEG, including Kings. for sale

Old
09-19-2012, 05:16 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I can't think of a single corporate owned sports franchise that has enjoyed success. They've all been a mess. Look at Disney when they owned the Ducks and Angels, or Time-Warner who owned the Hawks and Thrashers, as RonSwanson already mentioned, Rupert Murdoch's Fox/Newscorp and their ownership of the Dodgers. They've all ended in failure.
To be fair, AEG is/was successful.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 05:18 PM
TruKingFan
Two-Time Cup Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Some of us care enough to have have foresight and have seen teams like the Dodgers have bad owner after owner or see guys like Wang buy teams with ulterior motives and not give a **** about the team.

The same firm is brought in to sell the team sold the Dodgers in months with a owner who was being forced to sell.

That must be why you are only a Tru fan and not a true fan. Come back when you earn your e.
I understand what you're saying and I do care who buys the Kings ultimately. But you can't sit there and automatically assume it's going to suck. I'm sure you're one of those who was wailing against AEG when they took over.

The Dodgers were bought out of bankruptcy court and is in a far worse situation than the Kings so it's hardly a good comparison.

Besides, if you read between the lines, AEG might be broken up in so many ways so who know who ends up with the Kings. And because AEG is not under any financial or legal constraints or pressure to sell these assets, I'm sure they will take their time in finding the right buyer(s). So chill out.

As for your swipe at my screen name, I'll let that slide since you call yourself little bunny foo foo anyways. I wouldn't put much more credence to that.

TruKingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
But it also entered ownership the exact opposite way. AEG bought it out of bankrutpcy to build Staples, La Live, etc

The new owner will buy Staples, a % of the Lakers, and multiple other teams and arenas.

The new owner will need to eventually re-coup the purchase price without the benefit of building real estate empires.
This has disaster written all over it

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruKingFan View Post
I understand what you're saying and I do care who buys the Kings ultimately. But you can't sit there and automatically assume it's going to suck. I'm sure you're one of those who was wailing against AEG when they took over.
I actually wasn't. I was sure they wouldn't be as bad as the last owners.

Quote:
The Dodgers were bought out of bankruptcy court and is in a far worse situation than the Kings so it's hardly a good comparison.
You are too short sighted. Look at the last 20 years

O'Malleys ----->Fox------>McBroke--->Magic

Fox was a ****** owner and McBroke was even worse. Bad owners get their teams in to those situations..

Quote:
Besides, if you read between the lines, AEG might be broken up in so many ways so who know who ends up with the Kings.
Instead of reading between the lines, read what is actually being said

A sale of AEG would mark one of the biggest sports and entertainment deals on record.

The Dodgers sold for a world record price, a sum that would probably be eclipsed by AEG's Los Angeles properties alone.

"This will be a massive deal," said Marc Ganis of Sportscorp. Ltd., a Chicago sports consulting firm. "Arguably it'll be the biggest sport-based transaction in history."(Note he said "deal" not plural...deal)

AEG also is expected to attract intense interest from private-equity firms, which could purchase the company intact and sell it off in pieces. (not it didnít say AEG is going to sell it in pieces)

"It's a multibillion-dollar deal," said Craig Silvers, a real estate analyst at Bricks & Mortar Capital. "This is a group of trophy assets of the type that don't come along often. There should be quite a bit of interest."

AEG's current leaders said they would have to be part of any deal. Leiweke said he and his management team recently renewed their contracts, which would require any new owner to keep them on or buy them out.

The politically connected Leiweke is considered the driving force behind AEG's success.

Leiweke said he intends to remain part of the company after the sale.

Harveydeclined to speculate on whether Phil Anschutz might end up in an ownership position of a Los Angeles football team."Our intention is to sell all of the stock of AEG," Harvey said. "Questions of who might or might not be involved in football in some way in the future should wait.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...7,full.story**

It is being sold as AN ENTITY not as pieces

Last edited by Flour Child: 09-19-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old
09-19-2012, 07:56 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
I was more right than you realize.
They were only 10% under the cap one time 2005 and finished 2
Payroll shrank yearly and bottomed out in 2008. You left that number out , but the Kings were heading in to the season under the floor until they picked up Sean Odie on waivers.
They would have been under the 10 percent mark last year if they didn't pickup Penner at the deadline.

I think you are forgetting the cash budgets Lombardi referred back in the dark years.
I agree that AEG did pony up at this season and at the end of last season , but that is more than erased by 2006-2009

That was have been a John Holmes dick move.
I fail to see how you are 'right' at all.

2005-2006: 97.1% of cap limit.
2006-2007: 92.45% of cap limit.
2007-2008: 80.87% of cap limit.
2008-2009: Don't have final cap hit, but as I said previously, likely below 90%.
2009-2010: 89.29% of cap limit.
2010-2011: 93.09% of cap limit.
2011-2012: 100% of cap limit.

So three of the six years the Kings didn't spend 90% of the maximum cap limit, with one of the years they didn't they spent 89.29%. Really, the only two years they didn't spend a lot of money (cap wise) was 2006-2007 and 2007-2008, which would be the first two years of DL's rebuild. Most teams don't spend money in a rebuild.

The payroll dropped twice that we know of, 2006-2007 and 2007-2008 (I believe it went up the next year but can't donfirm/deny that), and it only dropped by $178,000for 2007-2008. Essentially, all of the payroll decrease occurred in 2006-2007, once again, the first year of DL's rebuild.

Frankly, who cares is if they would have been under the 10 per cent mark without Penner? They went out and got him, and went over the that point as a result. Are we to start discounting trade deadline pickups now?

I don't count the payroll decrease immediately following the lockout as all teams had a large rollback on salaries and as such I believe every team in the league had a payroll decrease.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 08:07 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
AEG was built around the ownership of the Kings, which led to Staples Center which led to everything else that they acquired. Plus Anschutz was the majority owner, whom I don't view as a conglomorate such as Newscorp or Time-Warner or Disney.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 02:25 AM
Scottkmlps

I think it sucks that they want to sell. Anschutz was an owner that stood back and let hockey people run a hockey team and gave the funds to build a championship team. Hopefully the next owner will be the same.

Scottkmlps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 02:13 AM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

I'm a little annoyed at how the local media is handling this. "AEG is for sale so what's gonna happen to the future plans of getting an NFL team blah blah blah". What about the ****ing reigning Cup champs Kings?

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 08:24 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
I think it sucks that they want to sell. Anschutz was an owner that stood back and let hockey people run a hockey team and gave the funds to build a championship team. Hopefully the next owner will be the same.
You'd have to think any new owner would understand that they'd have to do that. To me the main draw of this deal is the Staples Center/LA Live area as the main money generating part of the deal and that is pretty directly related to the success of the Kings and the Lakers.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:28 PM
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

Supposedly, one potential buyer is the richest guy in LA, Patrick Soon-Shiong. I think he already owns a piece of the Lakers and wants to expand into other entertainment / real estate based holdings.

This guy was the CEO of a biotech firm my wife worked for a few years back. I remember meeting him at their Xmas party where he was handing out iPods and Lakers tickets to employees. Nice guy, cute kid, hot wife...

DoktorJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 03:23 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorJeep View Post
Supposedly, one potential buyer is the richest guy in LA, Patrick Soon-Shiong. I think he already owns a piece of the Lakers and wants to expand into other entertainment / real estate based holdings.

This guy was the CEO of a biotech firm my wife worked for a few years back. I remember meeting him at their Xmas party where he was handing out iPods and Lakers tickets to employees. Nice guy, cute kid, hot wife...
Yeah, Honestly think he'd be the "best case scenario" sort of situation. Seems like the kind of guy that would be competitive enough to want the team to be in contention year after year, and yet smart enough to know to keep his hands off, sign the paychecks and let the GMs do their thing.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 03:41 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorJeep View Post

Here's an article (maybe where you got this) about it...http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88N0MU20120924

Mentions he is very interested in still bringing NFL to LA. Also mentions how he would need to be approved by NBA BoG since AEG is a minor player with the Lakers, but fails to mention it would need NHL BoG approval as well .

Anyways, he seems to be the perfect type to replace Anschutz, the type of person wanting to buy the package and develop it, rather than just pick it over and sell it off piece by piece for profit, which could be disastrous for the Kings.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 12:40 AM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post

Finally, I don't think the timing is a dick move at all. A dick move would be announcing it at the end of the regular season or during the playoffs. Considering that the Mayor knew of this for 'months' AEG may have done the Kings a favor by waiting until the regular season, playoffs and cup celebrations were over before announcing this, rather than creating a scene around the team at a crucial point.
I agree, a dick move was announcing the McCourt divorce right at the start of the 2009 NLCS, although I am sure that was more Jamies fault.

I am sure this was mentioned but didnt a NY paper leak rumors about the sale during the finals?

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 12:51 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
I agree, a dick move was announcing the McCourt divorce right at the start of the 2009 NLCS, although I am sure that was more Jamies fault.

I am sure this was mentioned but didnt a NY paper leak rumors about the sale during the finals?
Indeed they did. But you can trace back rumors of AEG looking to sell the team (or shares of it). The rumors first resurfaced in December/January, http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jan...kings-20110122

Here's the original rumor from 2008 where we first heard that AEG was interested in selling a part of the Kings.
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_9846642

Old
09-26-2012, 03:44 PM
GuyFawkes121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I can't think of a single corporate owned sports franchise that has enjoyed success. They've all been a mess. Look at Disney when they owned the Ducks and Angels, or Time-Warner who owned the Hawks and Thrashers, as RonSwanson already mentioned, Rupert Murdoch's Fox/Newscorp and their ownership of the Dodgers. They've all ended in failure.
ummm the Ducks went to the finals once while Disney owned them and the Angels won there only world series title while being owned by Disney....

GuyFawkes121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 09:43 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Things are heating up on the AEG purchase front. Uncle Phil has offers on his arenas in EU and there are some that believe that he might be willing to part out a couple of things outside of NA.

There is rumored to be an interested ownership group in L.A. as well.

I wonder if we will hear anything solid over the next week or two.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 02:39 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Think there was a falling out between Leiweke and Anschutz about this whole Farmers Field/NFL Team to LA thing that led to Anschutz's decision to sell AEG? This quote from Leiweke leads me to believe that may be the case.

http://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/stat...49402744614912
Quote:
"The next owner will be more committed to getting Farmers Field done and bringing the NFL back to Los Angeles."

Old
09-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFawkes121 View Post
ummm the Ducks went to the finals once while Disney owned them and the Angels won there only world series title while being owned by Disney....
?? not too sure about that. I think Disney sold the team the year before they won the WS.

They won with their red / white jerseys & hats, Disney had the angel wing logo, and that did not win the WS.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 03:05 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

No, Moreno bought the team in 2003. 2003 was also the last season when they Angels had "Anaheim" on their road jerseys. **** him.

Disney reverted back to all-red back in 2002. Only a few changes have been made since the Moreno era. Obvipusly, the stupid LAAoA name change and the name of the stadium. From Edison International Field to Angel Stadium of Anaheim. What's with the "of Anaheim" in Anaheim sports? Let's not forget the Ducks used to be called the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim instead of Anaheim Mighty Ducks.

Old
09-28-2012, 04:32 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Looks like it's happening.

http://twitter.com/STAPLESCenter/sta...78530764013568
Quote:
The LA City Council votes unanimously 12-0 to move forward with @FarmersField! #NFLinLA #FarmersField
Also worth noting that Patrick Soon-Shiong, who has publicly expressed his interest in purchasing AEG, was in attendance at the City Council meeting, sitting alongside Tim Leiweke and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, most famous for his role as the co-pilot in Airplane!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ul-jabbar.html

Old
09-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

We have clearance, Clarence!

Old
09-28-2012, 04:50 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

We can only hop that Patrick Soon-Shiong is a huge Kings fan and listens to Van Halen's come on baby finish what you started!

Old
09-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Old
09-28-2012, 05:24 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

So what's the remaining hurdle left? An NFL team that is guaranteed to relocate here?

Old
09-28-2012, 05:37 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
So what's the remaining hurdle left? An NFL team that is guaranteed to relocate here?
For Farmers Field?-Yes

For the AEG Sale, it'll just be the deadline that AEG gives the company who is doing the selling