HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

HF Sharks 13 (PS3): New Game, Old Thread

Old
09-21-2012, 02:47 PM
JumboThornton92

vCash: 500
You guys must have played late last night

JumboThornton92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Chubbs
Toasty

Late games are what we usually do. This month has been kind of a weird one for me because my schedule is shifted earlier, but normally I play around 11 to 3.

Chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 10:22 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

I know EA says the new tuner makes goalies better, but it felt the opposite after the games we played. We were scoring pretty easily from short side shots and cross creases.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 10:19 AM
JumboThornton92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
Yeah it's pretty fun when we have enough people.

Also for those of you who feel too slow in EASHL, I recommend playing through BAP for a season. I set it for default difficulty, but I maxed the sliders out, set it for 5 min periods, and classic line-changing, and I unlocked everything except for the offsides boost (which has been busted for years and never unlocks).

Here are some tips:
-In old versions of NHL, what most people did was sim to the third or with 5 minutes left of the game. NHL 13 isn't very optimized and I've had it freeze up my PS3 if I intervened. What's worse is it makes your ps3 think your hard drive is corrupted, so you also have to do a system check. Instead what you should do is start the game normally, score 3-4 goals in the first few minutes, pause the game, and then quit. It'll sim the rest of the game but count as a game played.

-Pick sniper. You start out with above average speed and wrister, which is all you need to score tons of goals with the sliders maxed out.

-Pick center as your position. Sliders will make it so you will win every faceoff even with poor timing. That way you can have possession of the puck instead of hoping for the bot to win the draw. Also if you in-zone faceoff the puck towards the D farthest from the wall, often times he will wrist it to the net instantly for a goal and give you a free assist.

-In the pre-season games, play enough so you're guaranteed a roster spot but try not to play so well that you get on the first line. There's a boost (I forget which but it's decent) that unlocks when you're promoted to the first line.

-As you play and gain experience, pump points into durability first. If you get injured you can miss a ton of games and might not have enough to get 40 games in a season. Also save every 2-3 games just in case. Don't use multiple saves and only have the single save and the two auto-saves, because having more might mess with the boost unlocks.

-Play every other game. If you sim too many in a row you will get demoted or even sent down to the minors. In order to unlock a majority of the boosts, you need 40 regular season games.

-Try to aim for 30 assists, because that's how much you need for BAP veteran card and that'll unlock +5 handeye and something else I think. You also need 50 games and a number of shots and goals, but that's easy enough to do. You'll have 40 or 41ish after the regular season and can easily play 9-10 in the playoffs for your cup run.

Things you should aim for:
1. Hat trick in a single game
2. 3 points in 4 consecutive games
3. 70 points
4. Art Ross
5. Cup in first year

Scoring is a breeze with the sliders maxed, and I usually quit every game before the 15 min mark with a 3-4 goals. The only part I hate is that simming from day to day is sooo slow.
Bump

Old
09-22-2012, 04:43 PM
WTFetus

Could you guys hold off on playing in the PO until the weekend please?
I need that one PO game for +3 Slap Power.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Could you guys hold off on playing in the PO until the weekend please?
I need that one PO game for +3 Slap Power.
Defensive D actually seems like a good build this year, and you don't lose out much on speed or agility. Plus you can get 92 slap power with only the +5.

Old
09-22-2012, 06:26 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Defensive D actually seems like a good build this year, and you don't lose out much on speed or agility. Plus you can get 92 slap power with only the +5.
Yeah, OFD doesn't look like it'll get good until Legend 1/2. I've been using TWD so far (those extra few points in athleticism seemed to help). Power hasn't really a problem for goal-scoring anymore anyway, it's just the lack of accuracy.

Old
09-22-2012, 06:29 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Yeah, OFD doesn't look like it'll get good until Legend 1/2. I've been using TWD so far (that extra 2 points in agility seemed to help). Power isn't really a problem for goal-scoring anymore anyway, it's just the lack of accuracy.
OFD lacks too much on offense to justify the lack of defense, and it isn't much faster or agile than TWD or DFD anymore.

Even with legend 1 or 2, you've already maxed out the important offensive/defensive/atheletic attributes and you basically have nowhere else to spend the points.

Old
09-22-2012, 06:34 PM
JumboThornton92

How do playoffs work?

Team with the most wins moves on or do we actually play a series with teams?

Old
09-22-2012, 06:54 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Even with legend 1 or 2, you've already maxed out the important offensive/defensive/atheletic attributes and you basically have nowhere else to spend the points.
Yeah Chubbs was telling me how he maxed out all the important stuff already at SS with DFD. Hand-eye, offensive awareness, and puck control are pretty important though (especially hand-eye), and the OFD has a higher cap for those. Slap-shot power is a lot more expensive as OFD, but once you get to Legend+ and have boosts, it shouldn't be that big of a problem. 80+ in both slaps seems to be plenty too.
I'll play with the builds whenever I get there, but I think the slightly higher caps in the important offense and athleticism attributes makes up for the slightly lower caps in defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboThornton92 View Post
How do playoffs work?

Team with the most wins moves on or do we actually play a series with teams?
As long as a team played 1 game in the regular season, they're in the playoffs. Any team that wins 4 games in a row are Amateur/Pro/Elite Playoff Champions. We'll probably ignore the playoffs later on since more teams quit when they see that you won. However, you need 1 GP in the playoffs to get the +3 slap boost (unless you did BAP), which is why I want to play 1 game. If we win 4/lose 1 before I get to play, I'll have to wait another month.

EDIT: Oh, and no series in the playoffs. You just go against random teams until you either win 4 games in a row, or lose 1.

Last edited by WTFetus: 09-22-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old
09-22-2012, 08:00 PM
JumboThornton92

there are going to be so many "Elite" Champions, no?

Old
09-22-2012, 09:03 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Yes.

Old
09-22-2012, 09:14 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Yeah. It's cool when you win one at first, but the you play almost literally dozens of club games over the next month where they showcase that the other team is some sort of division champion and you start hammering the X button to skip the little bit of ceremony each time.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 06:10 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Yeah Chubbs was telling me how he maxed out all the important stuff already at SS with DFD. Hand-eye, offensive awareness, and puck control are pretty important though (especially hand-eye), and the OFD has a higher cap for those. Slap-shot power is a lot more expensive as OFD, but once you get to Legend+ and have boosts, it shouldn't be that big of a problem. 80+ in both slaps seems to be plenty too.
I'll play with the builds whenever I get there, but I think the slightly higher caps in the important offense and athleticism attributes makes up for the slightly lower caps in defense.
SSP is crazy expensive for an OFD this year. I think I have it up to 78 with a +5 boost, and the XP cost is like 70 already.

I've tested it out on the NHL 13 Player Creator. You can't max SSP as an OFD if you max the other important offensive attributes.

Quote:
As long as a team played 1 game in the regular season, they're in the playoffs. Any team that wins 4 games in a row are Amateur/Pro/Elite Playoff Champions. We'll probably ignore the playoffs later on since more teams quit when they see that you won. However, you need 1 GP in the playoffs to get the +3 slap boost (unless you did BAP), which is why I want to play 1 game. If we win 4/lose 1 before I get to play, I'll have to wait another month.

EDIT: Oh, and no series in the playoffs. You just go against random teams until you either win 4 games in a row, or lose 1.
We could probably go for it this year. There's a penalty for quitting this year and we've had a lot less backouts so far due to that.

Old
09-23-2012, 06:28 AM
Chubbs
Toasty

OFD is pretty awesome at Legend 1.

-87 in slapshots
-86 passing (91 with a +5)
-all offensive stats that matter are 80 or above
-85 in defensive awareness and stick check
-90 agility, 90 accel, 85 speed (90 with a +5), 80 endurance

Old
09-23-2012, 06:30 AM
WTFetus

Quote:
SSP is crazy expensive for an OFD this year. I think I have it up to 78 with a +5 boost, and the XP cost is like 70 already.

I've tested it out on the NHL 13 Player Creator. You can't max SSP as an OFD if you max the other important offensive attributes.
Not max, just significantly higher. You can get 80+ in hand-eye, puck control, and offensive awareness with OFD at Legend 1 (and more slap-shot accuracy). You can't with TWD or DFD. Not to mention your athletics are a lot better as well. Seems plenty worth it to me for the very small sacrifice in the defensive stats.

Quote:
OFD is pretty awesome at Legend 1.

-87 in slapshots
-86 passing (91 with a +5)
-all offensive stats that matter are 80 or above
-85 in defensive awareness and stick check
-90 agility, 90 accel, 85 speed (90 with a +5), 80 endurance
Yeah, I'm only at Vet 3 and I already prefer OFD over TWD and DFD.
And that's with +1s. ...

Last edited by WTFetus: 09-23-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old
09-23-2012, 06:44 AM
Chubbs
Toasty

Player creator for NHL13:
http://angrymikegrrrr.github.com/NHL-13-Player-Creator/

Old
09-24-2012, 01:38 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

I think playmaker is probably the best winger build in the game. It can obviously pass the best, but the surprising thing is that imo it can snipe better than snipers can due to the higher offensive awareness. The higher offensive awareness seems to make up for the expensive WSP. And it has decent defensive and atheletic attributes.

At center, I'm still torn between TWF and playmaker. The TWF is godly at faceoffs and is so frakking fast, but I find the playmaker has much better agility and puck control.

Also, the short side is unbelievably easy to score on in this game. It's so bad right now that I think EA has to patch it once everyone starts getting their legends because everyone will be able to score that way. It's not even a toe drag curve or anything like that. You just pull back for a wrister and then fade to the center or far side of the ice and then flick it back in short side. You don't have to deke with your stick, you don't have to move your stick to curve the shot. The worst part of it is that sometimes you can mess it up and it still goes in because the goalie still doesn't have high enough short side attributes.

Last edited by Cloned: 09-24-2012 at 01:45 AM.
Old
09-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Chubbs
Toasty

Looks like my sleep schedule is fixed after a week. I get sleepy around midnight and I wake up without an alarm around 9. It's like I'm really a normal person!

Old
09-24-2012, 03:26 PM
JumboThornton92

Quote:
Solid, thanks!

Old
09-24-2012, 10:21 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

I've been experimenting with an OFD maxed on WSA instead of SSA. Seeing as how this game is largely based around wrist shots, I've been having mixed success with it. WS are faster to get off and it also frees up a lot of points for deking because you don't need to have high WSP to still generate a hard wrist shot, like you would with a slap shot. It also lets me reassign a boost so that I can have +8 agility and +8 speed.

Old
09-24-2012, 10:53 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
I've been experimenting with an OFD maxed on WSA instead of SSA. Seeing as how this game is largely based around wrist shots, I've been having mixed success with it. WS are faster to get off and it also frees up a lot of points for deking because you don't need to have high WSP to still generate a hard wrist shot, like you would with a slap shot. It also lets me reassign a boost so that I can have +8 agility and +8 speed.
Why would you need deking as a defenseman though? As a D, quick passes are really the only important thing for zone entry, and base deking still seems to work for the rare breakaway chances.

Seems like an interesting idea, but slapshots are still as broken as ever. They're already easy enough to get off with lateral movement, and I was already planning on putting +8 in agility and +8 in speed. I do like the idea of being able to shoot short-side with a wrister as a defenseman though.

Last edited by WTFetus: 09-24-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old
09-25-2012, 01:44 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Why would you need deking as a defenseman though? As a D, quick passes are really the only important thing for zone entry, and base deking still seems to work for the rare breakaway chances.

Seems like an interesting idea, but slapshots are still as broken as ever. They're already easy enough to get off with lateral movement, and I was already planning on putting +8 in agility and +8 in speed. I do like the idea of being able to shoot short-side with a wrister as a defenseman though.
There are situations vs. top teams or good players where they can stick check you to death. I think having a higher deking value might allow you to get out of those situations where a pass is not possible or would result in a risky turnover, similar to how you would play it as a forward trying to get around an opponent. I also play a lot of OTP though lol, where your teammates aren't usually very good at presenting breakout options. If you don't want to put it in deking though, you could put it all into WSP and end up with something like 87 WSA 80 WSP.

How are you guys using your boosts? I didn't have room for a +3 agility the way I had it before:

+5 SSA +5 SSP +5 DA
+5 SPE +3 SPE +5 AGI
+5 ACC +5 SC +5 OA
+5 HE +5 PC +5 PAS

Old
09-25-2012, 02:33 AM
Chubbs
Toasty

Skittlez and I both use base deking for our forwards.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:54 AM
WTFetus

Quote:
There are situations vs. top teams or good players where they can stick check you to death. I think having a higher deking value might allow you to get out of those situations where a pass is not possible or would result in a risky turnover, similar to how you would play it as a forward trying to get around an opponent. I also play a lot of OTP though lol, where your teammates aren't usually very good at presenting breakout options. If you don't want to put it in deking though, you could put it all into WSP and end up with something like 87 WSA 80 WSP.

How are you guys using your boosts? I didn't have room for a +3 agility the way I had it before:

+5 SSA +5 SSP +5 DA
+5 SPE +3 SPE +5 AGI
+5 ACC +5 SC +5 OA
+5 HE +5 PC +5 PAS
Yeah, it doesn't happen too much in club so I wouldn't know. I don't like playing D in OTP.
Isn't puck control the most important in maintaining control of the puck though? I think if you have a good amount of puck control and just deke away from the pokes, you should be able to get past most people.
For boosts, I'm not planning on putting +5 DA or +5 OA.

Also, thanks for the tutorial Chubbs. Unlocked all of it in like 3 hours.