HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Why are player names in Latin letters?

Old
09-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17

vCash: 500
Why are player names in Latin letters?

i just realized this when watching highlights of games this season. They're usually in Cyrillic, right? does it have anything to do with the NHL lockout? or is it because the KHL is in Latvia, Slovakia and Czech Republic now, so they just started using Latin letters to make it easier for everyone?

Jesus Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 06:19 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyPierroZabotel17 View Post
i just realized this when watching highlights of games this season. They're usually in Cyrillic, right? does it have anything to do with the NHL lockout? or is it because the KHL is in Latvia, Slovakia and Czech Republic now, so they just started using Latin letters to make it easier for everyone?
KHL adopted Latin before season 2010/11 or 11/12, dont remember correctly. It has NOTHING to do with lockout. I would agree with bold part + broadcasting to non-russian speaking countries as another reason.

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

I think it's due to expansion into Europe and to make it more tv-friendly for the non-Russian audience

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 11:48 PM
ModryJazyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
I think it's due to expansion into Europe and to make it more tv-friendly for the non-Russian audience
I agree.But it's not only about TV, KHL is multinational league now, it would be unacceptable for non Rusia teams and fans to use cyrillic.

ModryJazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 02:01 AM
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModryJazyk View Post
it would be unacceptable for non Rusia teams and fans to use cyrillic.
Quite acceptable for Belarus, Ukraine and Kazakhstan, Cyrillic being the official alphabet there

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 02:53 AM
alko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
Quite acceptable for Belarus, Ukraine and Kazakhstan, Cyrillic being the official alphabet there
Thats correct. But this league will be the next All-Europe league. Not closed only for Russia, Belarus, Ukraine and Kazakhstan.

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 03:21 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by alko View Post
Thats correct. But this league will be the next All-Europe league. Not closed only for Russia, Belarus, Ukraine and Kazakhstan.
I can't really get into it. So all ppl from countries with cyrillic alphabet have to accept 'foreign' latin letters to suit fans of three teams. International or not, why should it be latin? In my opinion it should be cyrillic for all teams from countries with cyrillic alphabet and latin for Riga, Prague and Bratislava(with respective special letters. czech names for example look awkward when spelled like 'Voracek' or 'Klepis').

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 03:36 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
I can't really get into it. So all ppl from countries with cyrillic alphabet have to accept 'foreign' latin letters to suit fans of three teams. International or not, why should it be latin? In my opinion it should be cyrillic for all teams from countries with cyrillic alphabet and latin for Riga, Prague and Bratislava(with respective special letters. czech names for example look awkward when spelled like 'Voracek' or 'Klepis').
I agree, but the KHL's approach shows what the priority is right now: creating a European market. See Medvedev's expansion concept.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 05:39 AM
Side Stache

Part of PR. Latvian team, in first season, already played with Latin letters home games. Starting with second season all teams used it. IIRC.

Side Stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 06:24 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
For the Latin readers to be able to feel the might of Khokhlachyov, Krasnoslobodtsev and Mukhachyov.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 06:41 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
International or not, why should it be latin?
Latin is as close as there is to a universal alphabet, thanks to English being the top choice for the world's second language.

Just the way it is...

Old
09-25-2012, 08:43 AM
ModryJazyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by alko View Post
I agree.I think Medvedev and all these russians chiefs in KHL are doing good job, it's only question of time, when some finland and sweden teams join KHL.
As for topic question, I'm sure that Slovan Bratislava or Lev Prague would not have join KHL as russian league with cyrillic .Fortunately, KHL is more and more euro-russian league.
Well, Kontinental league, that's right.

Last edited by ModryJazyk: 09-25-2012 at 08:49 AM.
ModryJazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Latin is as close as there is to a universal alphabet, thanks to English being the top choice for the world's second language.

Just the way it is...
THAT is an attitude I can't stand. It's the 'universal alphabet' for Europeans and nations of european descent, not for the whole world. I find it disrespectful to me as a russian fan to have to read my team's player's names written with latin letters, at least in a home game.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:01 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
THAT is an attitude I can't stand. It's the 'universal alphabet' for Europeans and nations of european descent, not for the whole world. I find it disrespectful to me as a russian fan to have to read my team's player's names written with latin letters, at least in a home game.
Oh boo hoo ,cry me a river

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:36 PM
zorz

chinese is the most spoken language in the world, maybe they should switch to their characters to get bigger audience

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:41 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
chinese is the most spoken language in the world, maybe they should switch to their characters to get bigger audience
Obviously

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 02:41 PM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModryJazyk View Post
I agree.But it's not only about TV, KHL is multinational league now, it would be unacceptable for non Rusia teams and fans to use cyrillic.
Why would they have to? You could have names in cyrillics for Russian teams and in latin alphabet for cze/svk/lat teams.

Come to think of it: it's not uncommon for sports teams in Greece to use different alphabets for player names on the same team.

Quote:
In my opinion it should be cyrillic for all teams from countries with cyrillic alphabet and latin for Riga, Prague and Bratislava(with respective special letters. czech names for example look awkward when spelled like 'Voracek' or 'Klepis').
Agreed. But the Czech federation themselves have no respect for their own language it seems :

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 03:35 PM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

Quote:
Most Russians can read Latin letters, most non-Russians cannot read Cyrillic.

So there you go, Latin it is. That wasn't a difficult choice was it?

Old
09-25-2012, 04:09 PM
jaco

I'm surprised that an obvious decision can cause so much fuss... It's a question of business, not of respect, which should be taken for granted.

jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 04:11 PM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Why would they have to? You could have names in cyrillics for Russian teams and in latin alphabet for cze/svk/lat teams.

Come to think of it: it's not uncommon for sports teams in Greece to use different alphabets for player names on the same team.

Agreed. But the Czech federation themselves have no respect for their own language it seems :
this is not about czech federation, it's IIHF which has a policy to have one unified way of writing of all team's names.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 04:31 PM
Den

Give it a break, Latin alphabet is perfectly fine...

Old
09-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Den

Krasno...ublbubuprkumsret..sev

Old
09-25-2012, 05:06 PM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
this is not about czech federation, it's IIHF which has a policy to have one unified way of writing of all team's names.
Probably not true (see http://www.foyerlaiquelanester.fr/wp...1396_10_HD.jpg), but even if it is, it's still the federation's fault for not insisting on using the proper spelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
Give it a break, Latin alphabet is perfectly fine...
Well, I know which jerseys I'm not buying.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
don't be silly, watch the olympics and tell me what alphabet is used

it wouldn't make sense to use cyrillic if the league wants to keep expanding westward, and it would make even less sense to have 2 systems or 2 sets of jerseys. use your noggin.

Quote:
It's universal to North America, South America, and Europe. Face facts, cyrillic is vastly outnumbered here if the point is accessibility. Can the alphabet pride.

Last edited by Sokil: 09-25-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 06:51 PM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
don't be silly, watch the olympics and tell me what alphabet is used

it wouldn't make sense to use cyrillic if the league wants to keep expanding westward, and it would make even less sense to have 2 systems or 2 sets of jerseys. use your noggin.

It's universal to North America, South America, and Europe. Face facts, cyrillic is vastly outnumbered here if the point is accessibility. Can the alphabet pride.
Exactly, the team Russia Olympic tracksuits even have "Russia" written on them in Latin letters.

Plus as I already said, I know for a fact nearly all people in Russia and the other Cyrillic writing countries know how to read Latin while few from outside these countries can read Cyrillic. So it makes much more sense to have it in Latin, because it suits everyone.

Though to play devils advocate, I learned how to read Cyrillic in a couple of hours, it isn't that hard