HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

PPM Part VIII: Sponsor Offers are in for Hockey!

Closed Thread

Old
09-17-2012, 01:00 AM
Temm

vCash: 500
Looks like I got into the tournament! Thanks canucks for the preparations you've been doing, and also to help me take the spot freed up by a double entry.

Last edited by Temm: 09-21-2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Actually did make it in with help.
Old
09-17-2012, 04:58 AM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temm View Post
Looks like I missed out on the tournament. Didn't spend enough effort tracking down where the actual sign-up was. Maybe next time!
I linked it in one of the NN articles. I should have maybe posted it in all of them once I had it setup. Sorry about that. Been a hectic few days.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:27 AM
tujague

Somehow my soccer team beat a good team yesterday. That usually doesn't happen. Still sitting in 9th while Obryantj coasts along in first. I don't know how he does it. He's got the best offense (49GF) and the best defense (6GA). His team isn't that good. WTF? I hate him.

And I have two starting dmen out for the next game. Damn dmen.

In hockey news, I'm in the red! Oh ****. Oh ****. Oh ****. I desperately need to sell some players, but the damn market fees would start at 19%!?!? I was hoping to make it to the end of this season before selling everyone. But I might just have to bite the bullet.

Maybe I shouldn't have spent 32 of my 35M on that last player...

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks357 View Post
Yessir. Coming soon to a PPM live broadcast near you. It's been in the work for awhile. I've actually drawn up some plays for it. Though you'll likely know when since they're kind of trick (ish) plays haha. It'll certainly be an improvement.

Side note: I'm pretty sure based on the sounds from the hotel room next to me that my neighbours are listening to something pay-per-view if you catch my drift.

I knew the broadcast was coming. I just wasn't sure if the vid was new. Any idea when?

Old
09-17-2012, 12:41 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujague View Post
I knew the broadcast was coming. I just wasn't sure if the vid was new. Any idea when?
No idea when to be honest. Their timelines always get skewed so I wonder if they even know. I imaging it's a tricky thing to program but to be honest, I'm just happy they're still developing existing sports and not just focusing on whatever is new, new new.

By the way, regarding your debt, don't panic. Work out your money in and money out each week. If you can get out of it in two weeks you're fine. If not you can always destroy a few levels of your education center and sell some staff (that would reduce costs and slow the rate of expense increase).

Old
09-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Obryantj

Quote:
Somehow my soccer team beat a good team yesterday. That usually doesn't happen. Still sitting in 9th while Obryantj coasts along in first. I don't know how he does it. He's got the best offense (49GF) and the best defense (6GA). His team isn't that good. WTF? I hate him.
Don't hate. But seriously, I watched the NC draw today and just assumed we'd be playing each other.

Quote:
And I have two starting dmen out for the next game. Damn dmen.

In hockey news, I'm in the red! Oh ****. Oh ****. Oh ****. I desperately need to sell some players, but the damn market fees would start at 19%!?!? I was hoping to make it to the end of this season before selling everyone. But I might just have to bite the bullet.

Maybe I shouldn't have spent 32 of my 35M on that last player...
You'll be ok. Do you have a loan out? If not, the extra amount you pay in interest may (or may not be) less than the extra market fees that you'd have to pay now. In case you're in a dire situation.

Old
09-18-2012, 10:03 AM
tujague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obryantj View Post
Don't hate. But seriously, I watched the NC draw today and just assumed we'd be playing each other.
It was so obvious that I didn't even bother checking. Not until that guy posted that he was playing the team of destiny. I thought "oh wow. so I'm not playing OBJ?" Turns out he was talking about some other team of destiny

Quote:
You'll be ok. Do you have a loan out? If not, the extra amount you pay in interest may (or may not be) less than the extra market fees that you'd have to pay now. In case you're in a dire situation.
I actually took a loan out yesterday to buy a player or two It's not a dire situation either way. I was just surprised to be in the red. I haven't seen that in a while. I just have to be smarter about the finances than I have been. And I can pay back the loan if I don't get any of the players I want.

Old
09-20-2012, 11:00 AM
Blue Blooded

I bit the bullet and acquired a new goalie. I got an RFA to be (56 days left) hoping he'd come on the cheap, but of course I got caught up in the bidding and ended up spending 9.3M on a 409-204-204 with 90 exp and a CL of 3/6.

I'm a bit iffy on the general going prices for goalies, but my gut is telling me that this was not the most sound of investments. OTOH another goalie I had targeted (a few yrs younger, better Q's, ~440-220-220, deadline @ 4 PM) went for 34.4M, so maybe it wasn't THAT bad...

The sad part is I now have to get rid of my current tandem who have been with the team since it's inception. I inducted them in my HOF yesterday, and will put them on the market at 7:30-8PM tonight.

Old
09-20-2012, 11:33 AM
kytihu

Can we talk soccer formations?

Has anyone come across any halfway decent research that suggests anything different from a standard 4-4-2 can improve your performance? If you run a non "neutral" 4-4-2 lineup, why?

Old
09-20-2012, 02:53 PM
tujague

EDIT: Added another young center to replace another of the SIX center prospects who dropped to 5/6 at 15yo. 21M unscouted and I forgot what Qs were posted in the chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytihu View Post
Can we talk soccer formations?

Has anyone come across any halfway decent research that suggests anything different from a standard 4-4-2 can improve your performance? If you run a non "neutral" 4-4-2 lineup, why?
I have tried other formations, mostly a 3-5-2. It works sometimes, but not against better teams. Obryantj has been running the same 4-4-2 formation forever and he wins everything. Here's a LINK to a recent match. I've switched to that formation for a while and had decent success, but nothing as consistent as OBJ. Now I'm using another 4-4-2 and having decent success (LINK). But I haven't played a top team with it.

Honestly, I don't have a clue what to do in soccer. I'm just trying to stay competitive until I can complete my stadium and catch up my facilities. Then I might have enough money to buy in good players to compete with the Boilermakers and FC Corona.

Last edited by tujague: 09-20-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old
09-20-2012, 05:05 PM
doug5984

Send a message via AIM to doug5984
Quote:
EDIT: Added another young center to replace another of the SIX center prospects who dropped to 5/6 at 15yo. 21M unscouted and I forgot what Qs were posted in the chat

I have tried other formations, mostly a 3-5-2. It works sometimes, but not against better teams. Obryantj has been running the same 4-4-2 formation forever and he wins everything. Here's a LINK to a recent match. I've switched to that formation for a while and had decent success, but nothing as consistent as OBJ. Now I'm using another 4-4-2 and having decent success (LINK). But I haven't played a top team with it.

Honestly, I don't have a clue what to do in soccer. I'm just trying to stay competitive until I can complete my stadium and catch up my facilities. Then I might have enough money to buy in good players to compete with the Boilermakers and FC Corona.
I used to run a 4-4-2 just like Obryantj's, but lately I've been running a 3-5-2 with mixed results. I do this simply because it seems I have a lot of talent in the mid field and am only 3 deep at defender right now. I may go back to the 4-4-2 to see how it hold ups against what I've been doing lately

Old
09-21-2012, 09:03 AM
doug5984

The sporting academy drives me crazy- I have a level 12 facility, almost level 13. Both my sporting directors are a 100 in youth training, and this is what I get this week...

Old
09-21-2012, 10:08 AM
tujague

Man, doug, I know exactly what you mean. I only had one guy over 300 OR this time. It's crazy how bad our Academies are these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug5984 View Post
I used to run a 4-4-2 just like Obryantj's, but lately I've been running a 3-5-2 with mixed results. I do this simply because it seems I have a lot of talent in the mid field and am only 3 deep at defender right now. I may go back to the 4-4-2 to see how it hold ups against what I've been doing lately
Sometimes when I run the 3-5-2 the team is dominant. I feel like I'm really on to something. But when it goes bad it goes real bad. On the other hand, even when I'm losing games with a 4-4-2, I still feel like I'm in control most of the time. Or at least not totally screwed. I don't have a clue what to do against the top teams. Any changes I make from the Normal 4-4-2 seem to make things worse

I might try a 5-2-3 against the Boilermakers today...I can't win anyway, right? So I should do something retarded. Maybe if I feel like messing with it later.

In hockey, I got the Qs from the previous manager for the latest purchase. Ermins Strelis has Qs of 84O-93Sh-95Ps-93T for an EQ of 91. I was surprised to get him for only 21M. I logged on with minutes to go in the auction, then spent a few minutes talking about my crappy Sports Academies in canucks chat. When I realized what time it was, I rushed to place a bid with under a minute to go. I actually apologized for bidding so late totally expecting a bidding war to break out. Nope. No other bids. Was that because I was nice? I've seen similar players go for a whole hell of a lot more. Why did no one want this excellent prospect? Is it an excellent prospect?

Now I really need to add a young dman. I have about 30M to spend. 15-16yo (400+OR for 16yo, preferably more), 87+EQ (I'll accept one low Q in the high 60s), 6/6, either side is good... You guys have anyone like that available?

Old
09-21-2012, 10:18 AM
suprvilce

Me i don't have anyone anywhere close, but i did notice a nice looking defenceman, Bernard Reant. Well at least my low quality staff thinks he is solid.

Old
09-21-2012, 12:37 PM
fizban

Anyone interested in the tennis game?

http://s1.tennisduel.com

Anyone already playing? If so, should there be a thread for it somewhere, and where would be the appropriate place for it?

Old
09-21-2012, 07:10 PM
canucks357

I just got a 3.5* 400+ OR pull in soccer. Sadly of his 400+ OR 85 is wrapped up in GK which means he basically must be a GK. Qs are all good minus tech showing 60-something but will have him scouted tomorrow. It wouldn't be an issue but I have two #1 GKs and a great prospect coming up through the ranks. Guess I'll be selling one of them if I make this guy a GK.

Old
09-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Emerald76

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprvilce View Post
Me i don't have anyone anywhere close, but i did notice a nice looking defenceman, Bernard Reant. Well at least my low quality staff thinks he is solid.
My 100% scouts say Buy this guy.

Showing 80's and 90's in his vital attys!

Old
09-22-2012, 01:10 PM
tujague

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprvilce View Post
Hah. Thanks. That's not too bad. Over 300 OR usually means he's going for a lot more than I could afford, but you never know. His Qs have now been posted in the chat- 83/99 29/84 45/94 54/97 34/99 38/75. Maybe that low aggression will scare some of the money away. I'll get him scouted just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizban View Post
Anyone interested in the tennis game?

http://s1.tennisduel.com

Anyone already playing? If so, should there be a thread for it somewhere, and where would be the appropriate place for it?
I signed up for this ages ago, but never did anything with it. I don't even think I logged in once. Is it any good? All I saw in the PPM forums were complaints. About what I don't remember, but it was enough to turn me off. Maybe it's better now? How does it work?

Old
09-22-2012, 01:55 PM
kytihu

Quote:
I signed up for this ages ago, but never did anything with it. I don't even think I logged in once. Is it any good? All I saw in the PPM forums were complaints. About what I don't remember, but it was enough to turn me off. Maybe it's better now? How does it work?
It's supa-dumb. I'll boil it down for you: You must constantly visit the website to click buttons so your player gets better and can move up an unending ranked ladder. They might as well just simplify the game and just make a big round button in the middle of the screen, and count how many times you've clicked it, and have a rank on clicks per day. The end.

Old
09-22-2012, 02:28 PM
tujague

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytihu View Post
It's supa-dumb. I'll boil it down for you: You must constantly visit the website to click buttons so your player gets better and can move up an unending ranked ladder. They might as well just simplify the game and just make a big round button in the middle of the screen, and count how many times you've clicked it, and have a rank on clicks per day. The end.
That might have been the complaint I was talking about! A bunch of clicking Handball, which should use the same basic engine as hockey or soccer, is almost a year behind, but that's not because they're working on Tennis Duel. Nope. Not at all.

I really want to try another type of browser-based sim. Some other type of sport. I kept holding out for PPM's version of auto racing, but I might have to bite the bullet and check out some of the competition. I think Batracer was recommended by someone here?

Old
09-23-2012, 04:44 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald76 View Post
My 100% scouts say Buy this guy.

Showing 80's and 90's in his vital attys!
Qs are now in chat. I may dig in if the price goes beyond that of who called dibs first. I bid 3M just to track the sale. I-Force has a bid so I'll likely lose out as well. All 160M I have in the slush.

Old
09-24-2012, 02:48 PM
doug5984

Alrigh, I thinned down my staff in both sports- that should help gain money more quickly which I can then dump into facilities. So much money was going down the trains on staff for minimal benifits

Old
09-24-2012, 04:32 PM
saint2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug5984 View Post
Alrigh, I thinned down my staff in both sports- that should help gain money more quickly which I can then dump into facilities. So much money was going down the trains on staff for minimal benifits
Another subscriber to the saint2e get-rich-quick strategy!

Old
09-24-2012, 07:36 PM
Obryantj

Quote:
That might have been the complaint I was talking about! A bunch of clicking Handball, which should use the same basic engine as hockey or soccer, is almost a year behind, but that's not because they're working on Tennis Duel. Nope. Not at all.

I really want to try another type of browser-based sim. Some other type of sport. I kept holding out for PPM's version of auto racing, but I might have to bite the bullet and check out some of the competition. I think Batracer was recommended by someone here?
I used to play the college basketball sim at simulatedsports.com. It's not as visually appealing as the powerplaymanager games, but it might be something you like. They also have a football game and a horse racing game, although I'm not really familiar with either.

--------------------

My hockey team came through today with an overtime win over the Psychos, putting me in 3rd place. I won't be moving up from here, but it does feel awfully nice at this point.

In soccer, my team is doing well. I'll be playing the Arlington Betamax on Friday for a chance to go to the NC Finals. In the Champion's League, I'll be playing NKDJ in the opening round of the playoffs. Last season, they knocked me out of the playoffs. In league play, my team is doing well, with a 2-1-2 record in games where I've given up a goal. Although, I think what I'm currently most proud of is having an OTR higher than TAoPT.

Old
09-25-2012, 09:18 AM
suprvilce

Does anyone know the correct tactics and countertactics for powerplay and penatly kill? I've been looking at some game reports and came up with one, not sure if it is correct though:

Shooting from the point > Passive box

Passive box > Overload

Overload > Diamond

Diamond > Umbrella

Umbrella > Active box

Active box > Shooting from the Point

Old
09-25-2012, 01:14 PM
kytihu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obryantj View Post
I used to play the college basketball sim at simulatedsports.com. It's not as visually appealing as the powerplaymanager games, but it might be something you like.
I played simsports cbb for several seasons. Finally gave it up because I felt there was just too much that affected things like recruiting and game performance that was "hidden". These sim games require a delicate balance between allowing you to figure out a general idea of the numbers/formulas and handing you a black box. That game was a black box. Good concept though.

Closed Thread