Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Swedish laws open door for NHL players in SEL

Old
09-24-2012, 03:39 PM
icing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
I read something from Aftonbladet that Steen/Enstrom are probably gonna be in the lineup on Tuesday with Brynas once the paper-work is done?

Of course there's no actual Swedish hockey blog in English so I was using google translate and could be completely wrong.

In regards to the players taking jobs thing....let's be real. It's a small amount and they're probably displacing 17-19 yr olds who are gonna play for J20 or something. Plus it has to be exciting in Europe right now because every day is like NHL Free Agency day for some teams.
The decision against short term contracts with NHL-players really has nothing to do with that.

If the NHL season was canceled yesterday we would not have a discussion about this at all.

icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 03:41 PM
Fat Doctor

Sorry for my ignorance, but do you guys know what's Erik Karlsson situation? I've heard from several sources, that if SEL wont take any NHL'ers, Karlsson will join Helsingin Jokerit. Jarkko Ruutu is Karlsson's friend + Jarmo Kekäläinen has some connections to Ottawa.

Fat Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 03:44 PM
icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
It's never really been about players "losing" their jobs. It may have been spun that way but in reality this is a battle between the clubs who haven't produced any NHL stars and those that have.

Most of the clubs are against locked out NHL players in Elitserien because allowing it would mean they'd have to sign expensive contracts just to keep up with the minority of clubs who'll get NHL stars playing for them for nominal sums.
The situation is most unfortunate, and now there is prestige in this. Arguing that the decision against short term contracts is illegal could very well mean that signing NHL-players for nominal sums is just as illegal. You know, there are laws regarding minimal pay and wage dumping (lönedumpning) and stuff like that. The "fun" part in this situation is that it would probably be the employer that pulls that card, and not the employee.

Doing the legal dance with sports is a slippery dance indeed. If one thing is deemed illegal, then why is that legal? And that? etc, etc. Without precedents it could get messy.

Last edited by icing: 09-24-2012 at 03:56 PM.
icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 05:26 AM
Yabob

Quote:
In regards to the players taking jobs thing....let's be real. It's a small amount and they're probably displacing 17-19 yr olds who are gonna play for J20 or something.
Maybe.... the problem is that the referees for that league (as well as the U18 and men's division 1 [3rd tier]) have threatened to go on strike, starting this week and the federation don't want to negotiate. And I'm not sure how interested the teams in Allsvenskan are right know about taking care of a bunch of players who will be available on a day to day basis.

Yabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 09:29 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Doctor View Post
Sorry for my ignorance, but do you guys know what's Erik Karlsson situation? I've heard from several sources, that if SEL wont take any NHL'ers, Karlsson will join Helsingin Jokerit. Jarkko Ruutu is Karlsson's friend + Jarmo Kekäläinen has some connections to Ottawa.
Karlsson is going to sign with Frölunda, just a matter of time.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 09:35 AM
Hockeyfrilla

Steen is playing tonight, so it begins..

Hockeyfrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 09:53 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
Karlsson is going to sign with Frölunda, just a matter of time.
Damn rebel sel teams, didint keep their gentleman "no nhl players" deal. It eats FEL chances for nhlers.

But good for SEL fans! (I guess?). Atleast in Finland fans love the NHL players.

In Sweden any talk about Steven Stamkos? He had offered himself for atleast Ässät in SM-Liiga, but Ässät rejected (due to ther economical situation). I heard hes more intrested to play in Finland or Sweden over Russia, but hes insurance is very expensive. Dont know if he asks salary.

Last edited by QnebO: 09-25-2012 at 09:59 AM.
QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Hockeyfrilla

Erik Karlsson in talks with Jokerit

http://gronvitasumo.blogg.se/2012/se...-frolunda.html

Hockeyfrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 11:43 AM
Elever
Hth

How easily can you get by in Sweden by just knowing English? I'd assume the majority of the country speaks it, don't know about signs/text.

Plus it wouldn't be hard to pick up on the basics, I learned a few quite easily just from kent songs and it's easier to pronounce or read for me at least than an Eastern European language or German or Finnish.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 12:17 PM
Tomas W

Quote:
How easily can you get by in Sweden by just knowing English? I'd assume the majority of the country speaks it, don't know about signs/text.

Plus it wouldn't be hard to pick up on the basics, I learned a few quite easily just from kent songs and it's easier to pronounce or read for me at least than an Eastern European language or German or Finnish.
Not everyone speaks english well, although I think that close to everyone can understand English pretty well. If you need to ask something I would try with people who look to be in the ages of 18-45 or something like that. If you doesn't succed to get your info from the first guy you ask, just try another.

Signs on train stations and such usually are both in Swedish/English or easy to understand for anyone to understand regardless (like pictures). In areas with lots of tourists (tourist traps, resturants, hotels, etc) text and signs is usually in both english/swedish. A typical supermarket have signs usually only in Swedish, but the packages with the stuff you want to buy, usually have a label which include English. Hospitals, pharmacys and such usually have some signs in english for non-swedish speakers, we have quite a few non swedish speaking immigrants in the bigger towns here you know.

Bottom line, for just a vacation as a tourist, it's pretty easy to get by with English in Sweden. If you want to live here for a longer period, you can probably go by with English only as well, but perhaps with some obstacles every now and then.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 12:50 PM
QnebO

Quote:

I've been in Sweden couple of times and as horrible swedish speaker I can confirm, that you do great there with English, not much to worry about there. First time in Sweden we were there with my dad when I was kid, dad didint speak much english or swedish, but little a bit of both thought. We got lost in Stockholm with car, trying to find a way to harbor so we could get onboard a ship and back to Helsinki. Even though't very slight skills in english and swedish, we ended up having a police motorbike to guide us through Stockholm to the harbor. They are very helpfull, if you can by any signs tell your problem.

Last edited by QnebO: 09-25-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old
09-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Fat Doctor

https://twitter.com/SunGarrioch

Bruce Garrioch (who is he?) adds more heat to Jokerit-Karlsson case.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:53 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Doctor View Post
https://twitter.com/SunGarrioch

Bruce Garrioch (who is he?) adds more heat to Jokerit-Karlsson case.
Ottawa beat writer. If he says it, there's probably some credibility attached to it. Jokerit could be quite the team during the lockout, eh?

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 03:04 PM
Fat Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Jokerit could be quite the team during the lockout, eh?
Yeah, we have waited three years for a D-man shooting hard from the right. The wait is really worth it if we get a current Norris-man... So hard to keep myself patient.

Valtteri Filppula played today in Jokerit, oh man is he go(o)d!

Old
09-25-2012, 04:10 PM
QnebO

Hows jokerit doing in the ET-tournament? These guys aint gonna hurt Jokerit.. Going to be fun to see them play against foreigners if the best case scenario roster happens + they get all the injured (and suspended) guys back.

Old
09-25-2012, 04:42 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Hows jokerit doing in the ET-tournament? These guys aint gonna hurt Jokerit.. Going to be fun to see them play against foreigners if the best case scenario roster happens + they get all the injured (and suspended) guys back.
They have a win or go home game left against Färjestad on the road, where the playoffs are at stake. Scenario is the same for Färjestad so that game could be fun. Karlsson would love to beat them..

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 06:10 PM
Fat Doctor

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/09/25/...off-to-finland

Karlsson is still in Ottawa, something should happen in 24 hours.

Old
09-26-2012, 04:32 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:

It is easy, as an native english speaker you'll pick up the language in no time. Knowing German/Dutch makes it a piece of cake (not to mention Norwegian and Danish of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
I've been in Sweden couple of times and as horrible swedish speaker I can confirm, that you do great there with English, not much to worry about there. First time in Sweden we were there with my dad when I was kid, dad didint speak much english or swedish, but little a bit of both thought. We got lost in Stockholm with car, trying to find a way to harbor so we could get onboard a ship and back to Helsinki. Even though't very slight skills in english and swedish, we ended up having a police motorbike to guide us through Stockholm to the harbor. They are very helpfull, if you can by any signs tell your problem.
Nice story, even finding a MC police is rare, a helpful one even rarer.

I have had a similar helpful experience in Helsinki involving hulk-like policemen and my daughter's teddybear which she had dropped some blocks away. The policemen were very kind.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Stålberg is apparently practising with Frölunda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
It is easy, as an native english speaker you'll pick up the language in no time. Knowing German/Dutch makes it a piece of cake (not to mention Norwegian and Danish of course).
I've heard several native English-speakers complain about what a pain in the ass trying to learn Swedish is because most Swedes will insist upon speaking English with them.

Franck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 08:57 AM
romelson

Send a message via MSN to romelson
The door is definitately closed.

Time to re-set the thread title back to the original title: "SEL Board closes the door to NHL players".

The Marknadsdomstol (The Swedish Market Court) has ruled the earlier statement by KKV as non-valid. Nothing else was to be expected.

http://www.sportnu.se/706341/hockeyl...nhl-spelare-4/

No more NHL players in SEL this season. Thank goodness for that.
And thank you Christer Englund for standing up for Swedish Hockey.

Last edited by stv11: 12-19-2012 at 03:24 AM. Reason: removed flaming
romelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 09:06 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romelson View Post

Time to re-set the thread title back to the original title: "SEL Board closes the door to NHL players".

The Marknadsdomstol (The Swedish Market Court) has ruled the earlier statement by KKV as non-valid. Nothing else was to be expected.

Oh heavens forbid, if Nicklas Lasu, Björn Svensson, etc, doesn't get their precious icetime Swedish hockey will stop to develop!!!!

Last edited by stv11: 12-19-2012 at 03:23 AM. Reason: quoted edited post
KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 10:42 AM
McLlwain
Trevor Forever

Quick question:
When does the transfer-period end in the SEL?
Until what date are teams allowed to sign players from outside the SEL during the season?

I believe in Germany it's something around end of January.

When is it in Sweden?

McLlwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 11:16 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLlwain View Post
Quick question:
When does the transfer-period end in the SEL?
Until what date are teams allowed to sign players from outside the SEL during the season?

I believe in Germany it's something around end of January.

When is it in Sweden?
January 31, proposed to be moved to February 15 next season.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 11:35 AM
McLlwain
Trevor Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
January 31, proposed to be moved to February 15 next season.
Thanks a lot!

McLlwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 04:52 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by romelson View Post

Yes, this is a mediocre league and it should stay that way gdammit!
The kvalserie will be fun though.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote