HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-22-2012, 04:30 AM
  #501
EvenSteven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyonice View Post
i'll take the long shot and go with a rookie schmaltz

Was at the game last night. Schmalz is the guy I'd take out of the lineup to make way for Thomson in Sarnia on Sunday.

I'd have thought we'd have been a bit more dominant over a team like Missy. The fact of the matter though, is that if not for Gibson's play, we probably lose the game last night.

Nice to be 1-0 to start the season, but we have to be better.

EvenSteven is offline  
Old
09-23-2012, 12:01 AM
  #502
SergeConstantin74
Always right.
 
SergeConstantin74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
Congrats for Midensky catching on to another team. Have to agree with you that it doesnt make sense to me either. They have a few top end guys but they also have a bunch of guys fighting for the middle to lower D spots. Dont really see where he fits in. Quebec needs a top end D for a contender but Midensky certainly isnt that.
He looked good paired with a 6'7 stay at home defenseman but it was only one game. His assist was a really nice pass between the blue lines.

One of Quebec's top 4 on D is injured for a month so they had an opening on the last pairing.

SergeConstantin74 is offline  
Old
09-23-2012, 04:31 PM
  #503
Mikksy
Registered User
 
Mikksy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 173
vCash: 500
I started writing for this blog again. Sorry for the hiatus but I was working with the team for awhile and couldn't keep this up. Anyway, my thoughts on opening weekend. Read if you wish, and thanks for stopping by if you do.

http://theaud-ball.blogspot.ca/2012/...to-sizzle.html

Mikksy is offline  
Old
09-23-2012, 04:34 PM
  #504
Zippy316
Registered User
 
Zippy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,976
vCash: 500
Did Ben Thomson play today?

What kind of player is he, does he have much NHL upside?

Zippy316 is offline  
Old
09-23-2012, 05:30 PM
  #505
Loosie
Registered User
 
Loosie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Did Ben Thomson play today?

What kind of player is he, does he have much NHL upside?
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...how/game/63209

Looks like yes, he got an assist but was a -2.

Loosie is offline  
Old
09-23-2012, 05:41 PM
  #506
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosie View Post
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...how/game/63209

Looks like yes, he got an assist but was a -2.
True that he was a -2 but hard to blame any forwards for being a minus with those types of garbage goals being scored.

Ward Cornell is offline  
Old
09-23-2012, 06:16 PM
  #507
glasses91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Steelheads!?
Country: Canada
Posts: 817
vCash: 250
when did I miss the puemple to kitch. move!

...not fair.

glasses91 is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 04:58 AM
  #508
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasses91 View Post
when did I miss the puemple to kitch. move!

...not fair.
Back at the end of June, Rangers traded Zack Lorentz and 2 second rounders (2014 and 2016) to da Petes.


Yesterdays game could have easily been 6+ goals for Kitchener except for the clinic by JPA!


Last edited by Ward Cornell: 09-24-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Ward Cornell is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 09:16 AM
  #509
BenchedGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 704
vCash: 500
This weekend we ran into some pretty good goaltending in Anderson and Martin. I think it could have easily been a split this weekend instead of getting the 4 pts.

BenchedGuy is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 10:18 AM
  #510
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
This weekend we ran into some pretty good goaltending in Anderson and Martin. I think it could have easily been a split this weekend instead of getting the 4 pts.
Definitely, but I liked what I saw vs Sarnia. The lines looked to be clicking a little more and Puempel showed exactly why Spott traded for him. There were a few defensive lapses that caused problems, and I'm far from sold on Hanes. It's early, so we'll see how the team looks in a couple of weeks. So far, Gibson has been fantastic (which was expected), but he's going to need the D to be a little more responsible in their end.

CharlieGirl is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 02:55 PM
  #511
Tim Wallach
Registered User
 
Tim Wallach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,291
vCash: 500
The first two games did little to disprove what I thought Kitchener would be with the current lineup:

- no clear weaknessses. They can throw steady workers at you 1-12 on forward and 1-6 on D.
- secondary scoring is an issue.

But the second one is easier to fix than the first one is to lose. So the net result is you definitely have a top-end team here.

Tim Wallach is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 03:18 PM
  #512
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
- secondary scoring is an issue.
Secondary scoring would increase with more than a cpl minutes of icetime a game!
How much ice did the 3rd and 4th lines and the 5th and 6th d-men receive ? I recall years ago Spotts favourite saying was he "believed in giving
the kids icetime in the first half of the season so they are seasoned come playoffs".
I haven't seen it last year or this year! I would rather lose a few games now than ride a handfull of
players for 30 minutes a game in the playoffs. Especially when he starts complaining about no secondary scoring and the players were tired!

Ward Cornell is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 03:54 PM
  #513
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Secondary scoring would increase with more than a cpl minutes of icetime a game!
How much ice did the 3rd and 4th lines and the 5th and 6th d-men receive ? I recall years ago Spotts favourite saying was he "believed in giving
the kids icetime in the first half of the season so they are seasoned come playoffs".
I haven't seen it last year or this year! I would rather lose a few games now than ride a handfull of
players for 30 minutes a game in the playoffs. Especially when he starts complaining about no secondary scoring and the players were tired!
I noticed that on Friday night in Mississauga -- every time you turned around, Murphy+Reider+Puempel+Faksa were out on the ice. Obviously, these big guns need time to gel and are key to Kitchener's success this year. But giving Bailey, Meighan, and Genovese no ice time isn't doing them or the team any good.

CharlieGirl is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 07:55 PM
  #514
Tim Wallach
Registered User
 
Tim Wallach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Secondary scoring would increase with more than a cpl minutes of icetime a game!
How much ice did the 3rd and 4th lines and the 5th and 6th d-men receive ? I recall years ago Spotts favourite saying was he "believed in giving
the kids icetime in the first half of the season so they are seasoned come playoffs".
I haven't seen it last year or this year! I would rather lose a few games now than ride a handfull of
players for 30 minutes a game in the playoffs. Especially when he starts complaining about no secondary scoring and the players were tired!
Spott can say what he wants, but there's no doubt he's a short bench coach. (No pun intended). Seriously though, he absolutely rides his core 6 or 7 players and needs to show more confidence in his kids and depth guys. Especially this year when he needs scoring out of them and they're all talented enough to warrant it. It's not like last year when some of the depth guys were junior B talents.

Tim Wallach is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 10:04 AM
  #515
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,859
vCash: 500
Jesse Young has been reassigned to the Dutchmen.

I wish I knew why this kid has never really been given a shot. He's played well in the little bit he's played, and looks like he could be a pretty good OHL defenseman, and yet here we are again.

CharlieGirl is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 10:06 AM
  #516
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Jesse Young has been reassigned to the Dutchmen.

I wish I knew why this kid has never really been given a shot. He's played well in the little bit he's played, and looks like he could be a pretty good OHL defenseman, and yet here we are again.
I'm frustrated to no end with this situation!
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Ward Cornell is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 10:26 AM
  #517
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
I'm frustrated to no end with this situation!
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
It makes no sense -- instead of developing the kid the right way, and having the Rangers benefit from that development, he gets shuffled around, sat out, and now sent down.

Meanwhile, Hanes continues to get prime ice time for some unknown reason.

CharlieGirl is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 10:34 AM
  #518
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
It makes no sense -- instead of developing the kid the right way, and having the Rangers benefit from that development, he gets shuffled around, sat out, and now sent down.

Meanwhile, Hanes continues to get prime ice time for some unknown reason.
Youngs trade value because of being mishandled is ZERO!
While the draft cupboard is relatively bare Spott has zero idea on how to recoup! Look at what London got for their spare parts. Doing that goes along way on restocking and getting a lot of depth. That lack of depth is why the Rangers lost last year due to injuries.
Going through OS and Plymouth and getting beaten up then meeting London would do in any team let alone a shorthanded team.

Gimme talent over experience any day of the week. Experience can always be acquired throughout the season before the playoffs.


Last edited by Ward Cornell: 09-25-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Ward Cornell is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 10:35 AM
  #519
BenchedGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
It makes no sense -- instead of developing the kid the right way, and having the Rangers benefit from that development, he gets shuffled around, sat out, and now sent down.

Meanwhile, Hanes continues to get prime ice time for some unknown reason.
And this is why I do not like the way we develop (or lack there of) players. Unless you are a high pick or marquee player coming into Kitchener, its hard to get ice time. Got to feel for Young, I was hoping for his sake that a trade would have been in the works instead of sending him down.

Well....par for the course. Hoping Llewellyn gets ice time this year and can develop, don't want to see him handled this way. At least Learn and Blasby got re-assigned early.

BenchedGuy is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 10:36 AM
  #520
BenchedGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Youngs trade value because of being mishandled is ZERO!While the draft cupboard is relatively bare Spott has zero idea on how to recoup! Look at what London got for their spare parts. Doing that goes along way on restocking and getting a lot of depth. That lack of depth is why the Rangers lost last year due to injuries.
Going through OS and Plymouth and getting beaten up then meeting London would do in any team let alone a shorthanded team.
Zero or not, the right thing to do is find him a spot on another roster. I think he deserves a chance somewhere else.

BenchedGuy is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 11:07 AM
  #521
ORYX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,470
vCash: 500
While I agree that Spott has likely handled the situation incorrectly having not got Young icetime somewhere along the line, lets not pretend that when he arrived or last year that he was better then the 7 guys ahead of him.

He had less experience and was worse. I get it, you try and develop players, okay, but when you have 7 guys better then him that you are trying to develop, what can you do?

The Rangers tried to assign him to Jr. B last year and couldnt due to rules. Who's to say they also didnt try and trade him, like Spott had done with previous players?

Who's to say that he didnt try and trade him this year aswell? Now that he is eligible to be sent down, thats where he has gone.

Lets stop pretending that we know the whole story, we don't. If he was unhappy we'd hear about it in the media. Perhaps he has asked not to be traded so he can get his schooling done here, perhaps no one wants him?

If he is content playing Jr. B for the meantime, by all means send him there, he will get minutes, and be close by when players depart for camp if the NHL lockout ever ends, and if anyone doesnt get returned or is injured, he is there again.

If you're going to feel bad about a player not seeing time because Hanes is in the line-up, feel worse for Gilbert who possesses twice the skill and experience as Young.

This is the OHL, you aren't guaranteed ice time, you earn it. Unfortunately for some, the chance they have to earn icetime is in practice and as an injury replacement.

Young looked capable, but didnt show that he was better then anyone in the time he got.

ORYX is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 11:54 AM
  #522
BenchedGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
While I agree that Spott has likely handled the situation incorrectly having not got Young icetime somewhere along the line, lets not pretend that when he arrived or last year that he was better then the 7 guys ahead of him.

He had less experience and was worse. I get it, you try and develop players, okay, but when you have 7 guys better then him that you are trying to develop, what can you do?

The Rangers tried to assign him to Jr. B last year and couldnt due to rules. Who's to say they also didnt try and trade him, like Spott had done with previous players?

Who's to say that he didnt try and trade him this year aswell? Now that he is eligible to be sent down, thats where he has gone.

Lets stop pretending that we know the whole story, we don't. If he was unhappy we'd hear about it in the media. Perhaps he has asked not to be traded so he can get his schooling done here, perhaps no one wants him?

If he is content playing Jr. B for the meantime, by all means send him there, he will get minutes, and be close by when players depart for camp if the NHL lockout ever ends, and if anyone doesnt get returned or is injured, he is there again.

If you're going to feel bad about a player not seeing time because Hanes is in the line-up, feel worse for Gilbert who possesses twice the skill and experience as Young.

This is the OHL, you aren't guaranteed ice time, you earn it. Unfortunately for some, the chance they have to earn icetime is in practice and as an injury replacement.

Young looked capable, but didnt show that he was better then anyone in the time he got.
Ok, so Midensky was better last season and should have gotten the ice time he recieved?? That ice time should have gone to Young.

Hanes, IMO is not better than Iafrate or Fanelli....they should receive his ice time. Then bump everyone else up and then Gilbert would receive ice time until another D is acquired (if that happens).

The story is that Young showed, with limited ice time, that he was not out of place. Injuries happen as well, what does Spott do. Give more ice time to his regulars and lets Young sit on the bench dressed.

The situation was mis-managed. We found a place for Dodero, there must be a place for Young.

Is he happy getting ice time for the Dutchies...maybe who knows. But you have to believe any player wants to get their chance to play in the OHL and not be happy with being re-assigned.

BenchedGuy is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 12:06 PM
  #523
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
Ok, so Midensky was better last season and should have gotten the ice time he recieved?? That ice time should have gone to Young.

Hanes, IMO is not better than Iafrate or Fanelli....they should receive his ice time. Then bump everyone else up and then Gilbert would receive ice time until another D is acquired (if that happens).

The story is that Young showed, with limited ice time, that he was not out of place. Injuries happen as well, what does Spott do. Give more ice time to his regulars and lets Young sit on the bench dressed.

The situation was mis-managed. We found a place for Dodero, there must be a place for Young.

Is he happy getting ice time for the Dutchies...maybe who knows. But you have to believe any player wants to get their chance to play in the OHL and not be happy with being re-assigned.
It's all about managing your assets (players) to get full value for them...either playing for your team or in a trade where they will play.

Ward Cornell is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 12:46 PM
  #524
ORYX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
Ok, so Midensky was better last season and should have gotten the ice time he recieved?? That ice time should have gone to Young.

Hanes, IMO is not better than Iafrate or Fanelli....they should receive his ice time. Then bump everyone else up and then Gilbert would receive ice time until another D is acquired (if that happens).

The story is that Young showed, with limited ice time, that he was not out of place. Injuries happen as well, what does Spott do. Give more ice time to his regulars and lets Young sit on the bench dressed.

The situation was mis-managed. We found a place for Dodero, there must be a place for Young.

Is he happy getting ice time for the Dutchies...maybe who knows. But you have to believe any player wants to get their chance to play in the OHL and not be happy with being re-assigned.
Why Midensky? Because he was a mid season acquisition after Young had failed to claim a roster spot for a year and a half. You see what Midensky is made of. Evidently, it wasnt enough as you see he is out of the league.

Hanes isn't better, you are right. But Spott again needs to see what he has, and his playing style is more complimentary to Murphy's then either stated player. I don't expect Hanes to stick around for the season. With that said though, Hanes is better then Gilbert for the role the team is trying to fill, hence Hanes in the line-up and Gilbert out of it.

Young showed that he is capable to the Kitchener Rangers as a 6th-7th d-man. He is 18 now. OHL teams don't want 18 year old d-men with limited OHL experience who are bottom pairing players when they have their own depth.

You go find me a team where he better slots into the top 6 and then maybe we'll have a discussion,.

I said I agreed he was misguided from the beginning, but news flash, you can't go back. Work with what you have and can change. Jesse Young isnt a regular OHL defenseman. Period. The OHL isnt an equal opportunity league, unfortunately some players fall into no mans land as Young has.

You don't have to agree with it, but you have to accept it.

I feel as bad for the kid as you do, and I agree he was mismanaged. But there is nothing that can be done about that unless you make this defensive core worse then it is, and slight the other players, by putting him into the lineup just to right a seasons old wrong.

Why not add Kelli Grant to the line-up as well?

ORYX is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 01:02 PM
  #525
BenchedGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
Why Midensky? Because he was a mid season acquisition after Young had failed to claim a roster spot for a year and a half. You see what Midensky is made of. Evidently, it wasnt enough as you see he is out of the league.

Hanes isn't better, you are right. But Spott again needs to see what he has, and his playing style is more complimentary to Murphy's then either stated player. I don't expect Hanes to stick around for the season. With that said though, Hanes is better then Gilbert for the role the team is trying to fill, hence Hanes in the line-up and Gilbert out of it.

Young showed that he is capable to the Kitchener Rangers as a 6th-7th d-man. He is 18 now. OHL teams don't want 18 year old d-men with limited OHL experience who are bottom pairing players when they have their own depth.

You go find me a team where he better slots into the top 6 and then maybe we'll have a discussion,.

I said I agreed he was misguided from the beginning, but news flash, you can't go back. Work with what you have and can change. Jesse Young isnt a regular OHL defenseman. Period. The OHL isnt an equal opportunity league, unfortunately some players fall into no mans land as Young has.

You don't have to agree with it, but you have to accept it.

I feel as bad for the kid as you do, and I agree he was mismanaged. But there is nothing that can be done about that unless you make this defensive core worse then it is, and slight the other players, by putting him into the lineup just to right a seasons old wrong.

Why not add Kelli Grant to the line-up as well?
Chose Midensky because we (Rangers) tried to fill a 6th D man position which gets limited minutes outside of the organization instead of trying to develop within.

I get what you are saying, I guess my think is I feel we have wronged the kid in his "potential" development. Was wanting it righted in some way.

I dont know enough of other organizations depth to suggest a place but maybe Young or even Gilbert should have been the start of a package to acquire a shutdown top end D or secondary scoring. I understand that he really doesnt have a place here. He should get the opportunity elsewhere. Midensky was shopped, waived through the league and not picked up. And then finds a spot (for the time being) in the Q with Quebec. I thought it would be nice for Young to have that kind of opportunity.

And without looking, re:Keli Grant, I would think that he received more ice time and a chance than Young did.

BenchedGuy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.