HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Worst head-injuring cheapshots

Old
09-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
The biggest hurdle all helmet manufacturers - hockey and football, face is making sure that the helmet/mouth guard is properly fitted, attached and used. Especially true in the pre-owned market for helmets. The education factor is one of your biggest hurdles.

Coaching is a big factor as well. Very few minor hockey coaches pay attention or insist that the players were their helmets/shields properly at all times. Some coaches even go on the ice without a helmet.

Overcoming these obstacles is one of the first steps.
But, at least over the pond, it's down to the on ice officials to make sure that their equipment is being worn properly... Hence the 10 min misconducts we give out to those who don't wear their equipment properly...

But to the topic, surprised no ones mentioned Savard yet...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 12:55 PM
blamebettman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted1971 View Post
Scott Stevens to Eric Lindros

Alexander Perezhogin to Keith Primeau
not really since it wasn't a cheap shot. Clean check

blamebettman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 02:37 PM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

WHA, April 11th 1976: Calgary's Rick Jodzio's two-hander, followed by punching the knocked-out Nordiques player in the face as he laid inert on the ice, that put the league's leading scorer Marc Tardif in a coma for a little while (he also suffered violent headaches for a year) and prevented him for playing in the 1976 Canada Cup. Tardif wore no helmet at the time and admits he never was the same player afterwards, even with a helmet.

dennilfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 04:29 AM
RAZZIE King
Registered redophile

Unfortunately Craig Johnson on Adam Deadmarsh...and they were BOTH with the Kings at the time...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 07:40 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
The OP should know useful helmets are not allowed in the NHL. Wearing a beanie loosely on top of your head is not useful. Actual helmets encircle the head, transferring force around the head. This is why full helmets are required to ride a motorcycle or play football.

Hockey hats are for looks. They are not able to protect the head from an impact. Think I'm wrong? I invite (the rhetorical) you to put on any NHL legal helmet you want. I get a free shot with bare hands. If you regain consciousness, I will cede the argument. Don't worry, I do not need to hit you in the face. Of course, I am not in earnest but niether is the NHL with thier silly hats.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:11 PM
tony d
The man

Scott Stevens on Eric Lindros. I think it's fair to say that that hit was the start of the downturn of Lindros' career.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:20 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Scott Stevens on Eric Lindros. I think it's fair to say that that hit was the start of the downturn of Lindros' career.
Stevens' famous hit on Lindros wasn't a cheapshot as defined by the rules of the time, but if the goal of the OP is to reduce head injuries, then it is a type of hit that should be examined.

I disagree with your characterization that the hit was "the start" of the downturn though. Lindros was just coming back from missing the end of the regular season and the first 2+ rounds of the playoffs when the hit happened.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote