Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hitmen Boycott

Old
09-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Mike Jones

vCash: 500
Hitmen Boycott

A friend of mine asked me the other day if I was going to attend any Hitmen games now that the NHL is locked out.

My answer was no and the reason was (and continues to be) that they're owned by the Flames. As long as Flames owners help keep the league locked down then I'll stay away from everything Flames.

Do I expect it to catch on? No. But it is my little effort to thumb my nose at owners who have no respect for fans or the locals who depend on the Flames for their livelihood.

When the lockout is over then I'll attend a Hitmen game.

Anybody else with me?

(There - now I feel better. This is way better than therapy. )

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
Do I expect it to catch on? No. But it is my little effort to thumb my nose at owners who have no respect for fans or the locals who depend on the Flames for their livelihood.
If they depend on the Flames for their livelihood, wouldn't many also depend on the Hitmen?

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 02:17 PM
Razor29
The Ultimate Tank

vCash: 50
As a fan of hockey in general, I plan to attend more Hitmen games this year due to the lockout. I don't care if the Flames own them or not, I need my damn hockey fix.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
If they depend on the Flames for their livelihood, wouldn't many also depend on the Hitmen?
Yes - but hopefully things like boycotts get the message across more quickly so that this silly and thoughtless lockout is brought to a necessary end.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:38 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeskogien View Post
As a fan of hockey in general, I plan to attend more Hitmen games this year due to the lockout. I don't care if the Flames own them or not, I need my damn hockey fix.
If you need your fix then go check out the Dinos. I've always found CIS hockey an excellent alternative to the pros.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:39 PM
Sean Monahan
#boring

No one really worth watching on that team anyways

Except Virtanen and Rask if he comes back

Sean Monahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 05:20 PM
Roughneck

Quote:
Yes - but hopefully things like boycotts get the message across more quickly so that this silly and thoughtless lockout is brought to a necessary end.
The Flames books and the Hitmen's books are separate. If the Hitmen are boycotted and lose money, the logical business move isn't to push to bring the Flames back to make money, it would be to cut back on the Hitmen's operating costs: fewer ushers, cleaning staff, concourse services etc. If the boycott causes the Hitmen to lose money, then what would be the point of the Flames paying for a WHL team to play out of an NHL arena at all?

Your boycott is misguided. Punishing the Hitmen and the people who work for them to try and send a weak message to the Flames LP who don't actually need the Hitmen going forward.

Old
09-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Money Baer
Unsustainable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
No one really worth watching on that team anyways

Except Virtanen and Rask if he comes back
Agreed... but you just have to screen the games... You can see a lot of top line talent for the 2013 draft.... Lazar, Shinkaruk, Pulock, Roy, Jones, Morrissey, Bowey, Forsberg, Theodore, Klimchuck, Rankin, Comrie, Needham.... etc.

I would also put Chase in the same category as Virtanen and Rask for worth watching.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
Agreed... but you just have to screen the games... You can see a lot of top line talent for the 2013 draft.... Lazar, Shinkaruk, Pulock, Roy, Jones, Morrissey, Bowey, Forsberg, Theodore, Klimchuck, Rankin, Comrie, Needham.... etc.

I would also put Chase in the same category as Virtanen and Rask for worth watching.
There are a tonne of former WHL players in the CIS. Again, people should be checking them out instead.

Old
09-25-2012, 06:19 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
The Flames books and the Hitmen's books are separate. If the Hitmen are boycotted and lose money, the logical business move isn't to push to bring the Flames back to make money, it would be to cut back on the Hitmen's operating costs: fewer ushers, cleaning staff, concourse services etc. If the boycott causes the Hitmen to lose money, then what would be the point of the Flames paying for a WHL team to play out of an NHL arena at all?

Your boycott is misguided. Punishing the Hitmen and the people who work for them to try and send a weak message to the Flames LP who don't actually need the Hitmen going forward.
Ownership is still ownership and a boycott sends a message. The sooner ownership receives the message and responds the lesser the pain will be.

Old
09-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Money Baer
Unsustainable

Quote:
There are a tonne of former WHL players in the CIS. Again, people should be checking them out instead.
No thank-you. I'd rather see high end talent. I will be attending as many WHL games as i can.

Old
09-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
No thank-you. I'd rather see high end talent. I will be attending as many WHL games as i can.
I remember when the AHL went to my home town and everyone got really excited. I'd been going to CIS games and thought the pros would be a vast improvement. When I saw my first AHL games I was actually disappointed and went back to the CIS. For one thing the university guys seemed to play harder than the pros. The talent may not be the same but these guys stilled showed that they loved the game and played accordingly.

It's your loss for not wanting to see the college games.

Old
09-25-2012, 10:51 PM
MarkGio

I too need a hockey fix, but I'm not sure how much commitment I'm willing to put in to follow a league I know nothing/little about. I think if any team is worth following to replace hockey, it would be the Roughnecks. I've never seen a lacrosse game and It seems like a bad ass sport that would compare to hockey in terms of scoring and physicality. I guess that doesn't help this thread because the Flames own the Roughnecks.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 11:00 PM
Roughneck

Quote:
Ownership is still ownership and a boycott sends a message. The sooner ownership receives the message and responds the lesser the pain will be.
The message they'd receive is that the Hitmen aren't financially viable as the primary tenant of the Saddledome. Not that the lockout needs to end.

Old
09-26-2012, 01:42 AM
Money Baer
Unsustainable

Quote:
I remember when the AHL went to my home town and everyone got really excited. I'd been going to CIS games and thought the pros would be a vast improvement. When I saw my first AHL games I was actually disappointed and went back to the CIS. For one thing the university guys seemed to play harder than the pros. The talent may not be the same but these guys stilled showed that they loved the game and played accordingly.

It's your loss for not wanting to see the college games.
I'm not saying I won't be watching them.... I'm saying/trying to say your idea of boycotting the WHL is stupid, and I'd rather watch good/elite talent instead of "the guys who didn't make it."

Your loss bro.

Old
09-26-2012, 01:53 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
WHL hockey is small change to the Flames organization.

I don't feel like punishing our local junior club, and the remaining employees of the Flames/Saddledome because of the NHL's issues.

Just my take.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 07:13 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
I'm not saying I won't be watching them.... I'm saying/trying to say your idea of boycotting the WHL is stupid, and I'd rather watch good/elite talent instead of "the guys who didn't make it."

Your loss bro.
CIS guys did make it. Most of them played WHL hockey like the "elite".

Old
09-26-2012, 07:14 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
WHL hockey is small change to the Flames organization.

I don't feel like punishing our local junior club, and the remaining employees of the Flames/Saddledome because of the NHL's issues.

Just my take.
Small change? Yeah - ask the Hunters in London or the Sutters in Red Deer. Without the player salary costs this is huge business and one I'd invest in before looking to the pros.

Last edited by Mike Jones: 09-26-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old
09-26-2012, 07:16 AM
slappipappi

Quote:
The message they'd receive is that the Hitmen aren't financially viable as the primary tenant of the Saddledome.
I think they already know that.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 01:04 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
Small change? Yeah - ask the Hunters in London or the Sutters in Red Deer. Without the player salary costs this is huge business and one I'd invest in before looking to the pros.
Compared to the NHL yes it is, and last time I checked the Sutters & Hunters aren't NHL owners.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 08:53 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

I'm a huge Hitmen fan, not a chance I would even consider boycotting them. I'll be going to more games than usual this year.

As for the Flames, no game tickets or merchandise will be purchased on my dime this year.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 08:55 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post

Just my take.

Well said. I agree.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 09:09 PM
Sean Monahan
#boring

Quote:
CIS guys did make it. Most of them played WHL hockey like the "elite".
all the CIS guys are players that played their full eligibility in juniors but cant take that next step

so no, they didnt make it

Sean Monahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 11:48 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 300
More of a Pats guy. C'est la vie.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 12:55 AM
Stewie Griffin
#unsustainable

vCash: 0
Is it boycotting if I just continue not to go to Hitmen games?

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote