HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion Part XX)

Old
09-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

vCash: 500
Marty by no means led us as far as we got like Mike Smith, or even Lundqvist, and Quick did at times, but he did steal a few games for us. I think he shuts out LA in game 4 if Clarkson don't get the BS phantom penalty. He stole us game 7 against Florida despite a couple bad games early in the series. I was there, and it looked like we were gonna lose with a minute left in regulation, and then in the first OT his goaltending gave us a chance to get to the 2nd OT. He also stole us game 6 of the ECF as we were clearly outplayed for most of the 2nd, and 3rd periods, and he stopped a couple breakaways too.

Same with game 5 against LA. If it weren't for him we lose the Cup on home ice.

I am a proponent of that 4th line, and I do agree we're out in the first round with the 4th line we had in the regular season. Bernier scored for us in game 6, and Gio in game 7 against Florida. We won both games by a goal. When you win by a goal every goal scored is as important as the game winner in my opinion.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 02:09 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
guess again. think the polar opposite of hell zeon

this person compared kovy to gretzky to make a point that i...still dont understand
DATW. Where is that dood lately?

and our 4th line was absurd all playoffs.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 02:13 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Marty by no means led us as far as we got like Mike Smith, or even Lundqvist, and Quick did at times, but he did steal a few games for us. I think he shuts out LA in game 4 if Clarkson don't get the BS phantom penalty. He stole us game 7 against Florida despite a couple bad games early in the series. I was there, and it looked like we were gonna lose with a minute left in regulation, and then in the first OT his goaltending gave us a chance to get to the 2nd OT. He also stole us game 6 of the ECF as we were clearly outplayed for most of the 2nd, and 3rd periods, and he stopped a couple breakaways too.

Same with game 5 against LA. If it weren't for him we lose the Cup on home ice.

I am a proponent of that 4th line, and I do agree we're out in the first round with the 4th line we had in the regular season. Bernier scored for us in game 6, and Gio in game 7 against Florida. We won both games by a goal. When you win by a goal every goal scored is as important as the game winner in my opinion.
this is completely an opinion, and i get both. to me though, martys play was more integral than the 4th line's amazing contributions. i mean, it sorta had to be. if your 4th liners are playing better than your goalie, you dont get to the SCF lol..if you have an example to the contrary, please do share, i'd love to hear it.

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Our 4th line was definitely a big reason why we beat the Panthers, and Rangers. We didn't get anything from them in the Flyers series, but they were sharp defensively unlike the jabroni 4th line from the regular season.

Carter scored in game 5 of the ECF in a tie game which we won by one goal minus the empty netter. Gio scored the first goal of that game. Carter, and Gio also had that break in game 6 which we one by one goal. If not for Bernier, and Clemmensen's BRUTAL goaltending we could have been out in game 6 of that series. I'll credit Parise's backcheck on Weiss as well.

Old
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
DATW. Where is that dood lately?

and our 4th line was absurd all playoffs.
jim, man, jim. lol. jeepers

Old
09-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
you think the 4th line had more to do w us winning 14 games than brodeur?
Fourth line was pointless against the Flyers. We got there because of Brodeurs consistently great performances and the defense, especially Greene and Fayne, shutting down opposing top lines. In individual series, you can say the top line or the fourth line pulled us through a series, but the fourth line was not the sole reason at all, but it was an important factor.

Zippy316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 02:16 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Our 4th line was definitely a big reason why we beat the Panthers, and Rangers. We didn't get anything from them in the Flyers series, but they were sharp defensively unlike the jabroni 4th line from the regular season.

Carter scored in game 5 of the ECF in a tie game which we won by one goal minus the empty netter. Gio scored the first goal of that game. Carter, and Gio also had that break in game 6 which we one by one goal. If not for Bernier, and Clemmensen's BRUTAL goaltending we could have been out in game 6 of that series. I'll credit Parise's backcheck on Weiss as well.
scorpion. save.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:18 PM
Zippy316

Quote:

The main reason we got through is how well we played DeBoers system. Everyone bought in so well and they were committed. Especially during the Flyers series, when they walked away from every push and scrum. They gave the Flyers nothing to get momentum from and we wearied all over them by playing our system to a T.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:20 PM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Quote:
this is completely an opinion, and i get both. to me though, martys play was more integral than the 4th line's amazing contributions. i mean, it sorta had to be. if your 4th liners are playing better than your goalie, you dont get to the SCF lol..if you have an example to the contrary, please do share, i'd love to hear it.
Never said their play was more integral. If not for Marty we don't win a damn game in the SCF, and we also may have had to play a game 7 at MSG, and eliminated in game 7 of the first round. Not to mention his puck handling in the Flyers series was very important. Some people say ''Well Marty only had a 917 save percentage in the playoffs that wasn't good!''

Did anybody see Longo man give up 8 goals against the Bruins in 11? Pretty sure his save percentage was lower in last year playoffs as a SCF losing goaltender, and Niemi's I believe was lower in 10 as a Cup winner. Same for POS MAF in the 09 Finals when Pittsburgh won.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

I'm not arguing with either of you guys point. The 4th line was a big reason offensively why we won against Florida, and the Rangers if that sounds better.

I was just thinking a lot about the Florida series. It's funny I thought this team couldn't beat Clemmensen cause he was in their heads. Ironically if not for Clemmensen's horrid goaltending in game 6 we may not have won that series. That goal by Bernier was mind numbingly soft. I'm not sure Theodore would have given that up. We never beat Theodore two games in a row in that series either. Theodore was supposed to play that game coming off his shutout, but had some minor injury.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:28 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

ah, gotcha. nevermind then.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:30 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

It'd be a lot simpler to say that the team got as far as it did because of overall depth and each piece of the puzzle coming together.

The team chemistry was at an all time high.

When one element faltered, everyone else played stronger to make up for the lapses.

When the offense dried up, Marty was there to keep the game close.
When the top lines were shut down, the 3rd and 4th line got the work done.
When the defense was leaving Marty out to dry, the scorers came through.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
I'm not arguing with either of you guys point. The 4th line was a big reason offensively why we won against Florida, and the Rangers if that sounds better.

I was just thinking a lot about the Florida series. It's funny I thought this team couldn't beat Clemmensen cause he was in their heads. Ironically if not for Clemmensen's horrid goaltending in game 6 we may not have won that series. That goal by Bernier was mind numbingly soft. I'm not sure Theodore would have given that up. We never beat Theodore two games in a row in that series either. Theodore was supposed to play that game coming off his shutout, but had some minor injury.
I was looking through Bernier's goals on NHL.com over the season and he had pretty much the EXACT same goal on Clemmensen when Clemmer was up for the Devils and Bernier was playing for Vancouver.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

I didn't think Marty played bad in game 3 against Florida. Not as bad as he looked. That first goal he gave up an ugly rebound, but I think he was screened on the last 2. He definitely was on the 3rd goal before he was pulled. Hedberg gave up a borderline softy too.

Marty's been the punching bag for playoff exits since the lockout. While he didn't look as good those years as he did this year people never held anyone else accountable, and that pissed me off. Like Parise, or even Elias, and Langenbummer. He also got blamed by many for the 2002 exit to Carolina, but he played better in that series than he did in any of the 01 series's on the SCF run.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:36 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
I was looking through Bernier's goals on NHL.com over the season and he had pretty much the EXACT same goal on Clemmensen when Clemmer was up for the Devils and Bernier was playing for Vancouver.

It's after the three minute mark.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:39 PM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Quote:
Bernier was to Clemmensen what Carter was to Lundqvist. Bernier had 1 goal in the regular season, and 2 in the playoffs, and all 3 of them were scored on Clemmensen. Bernier, and Clemmensen was teammates in Florida so I'm sure he got a lot on him in practice.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:42 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
The perfect storm came together and we made a run. It's as simple as that.

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 02:56 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Do you realize the weak goals Brodeur let in this postseason run? He couldn't stop a puck on the PK against Florida, anything from the point went in. The team played phenomenal all playoffs, we carried the play against every team.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Fourth line was pointless against the Flyers. We got there because of Brodeurs consistently great performances and the defense, especially Greene and Fayne, shutting down opposing top lines. In individual series, you can say the top line or the fourth line pulled us through a series, but the fourth line was not the sole reason at all, but it was an important factor.
Parise-Zajac-Kovalchuk - 11 ES goals
Sykora-Elias-Zubrus - 5 ES goals
Ponikarovski-Henrique-Clarkson - 9 ES goals
Carter-Gionta-Bernier - 10 ES goals

Enough said, it was the most important factor. It was the best performance by a 4th line in the last 30 years I believe.

They beat Philly because they dominated them, they won in-spite of Brodeur.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:59 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Do you realize the weak goals Brodeur let in this postseason run? He couldn't stop a puck on the PK against Florida, anything from the point went in. The team played phenomenal all playoffs, we carried the play against every team.
But when we needed him to be there, he was there, and that's all you can ask.

Old
09-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
But when we needed him to be there, he was there, and that's all you can ask.
That's the same BS answer Oilers fans gave about Fuhr for years. You don't judge a goaltenders performance by wins, you are severely underchanging yourself. His past two regular season sv%'s are closer to where his true talent lies. He is probably a bottom 8 starting goaltender in the NHL right now.

At least a lockout moves us closer to a new starter.

Old
09-25-2012, 03:12 PM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
The perfect storm came together and we made a run. It's as simple as that.
Won't dispute this. One of the biggest factors I noticed was in the regular season we had a big problem clearing the zone even strength. We would get pinned in our own zone constantly every game. Not that it always cost us, but in games where we gave up 1 goal only it usually seemed that's how the goal happened.

In the playoffs, and last couple weeks of the season when we won 6 in a row to end the season I didn't notice this so much. It was usually us doing it to the other team. Only time I noticed it was on the penalty kill really.

Old
09-25-2012, 03:18 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
gotta agree with jason here. wedgewood or bust yo.

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 03:19 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by åboriginal View Post
gotta agree with jason here. wedgewood or bust yo.
I would even think about Ari Ahonen for a stop gap goaltender next season. He has absolutely come into his own in the KHL. Split starts and see if he catches.

Old
09-25-2012, 03:24 PM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

I don't remember Marty letting in very many weak goals this playoffs. I can count the ones. Maybe 2 in game 3 vs Florida, the one in game 2 against Florida to Goc, a couple not so good ones in game vs Florida, but I think they were deflected. There was one game against Philly he wasn't too good, but luckily Bryz was even more humanngous bad. Think it was the game Poni won in OT.

There was a point shot he gave up against the Rangers that was unscreened, and undeflected. It was the only goal he gave up in that game. The one to Doughty in the game 2 of the SCF was very similar, and guys know he's prone to goals from that angle. Two borderline stick side goals on the PP in game 4 of the SCF which didn't matter because we were shutout.

If you think Marty's goaltending was the worst it's ever been this playoffs watch a 29 year old Brodeur in the 01 SCF. The 01 SCF was the worst series I've ever seen him play and still nothing has even passed that. His performance in 08 was bad also, but he was the only reason we were in the playoffs that year.